Clay's Build Thread - Page 283 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Clay's Build Thread

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 09-18-2012, 06:38 AM   #4231
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8pitcher

Do you have manual or power steering? Or does it matter for the brace?
It's power, and I'm not certain , but I don't think the the brace is any different.

Bill

1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2012, 06:42 AM   #4232
8pitcher
bad*** jeeper

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucdog

It's power, and I'm not certain , but I don't think the the brace is any different.

Bill
Ok cool thanks. I have manual in my 5 I will prolly make a brace for it though.
Built Not Bought #640[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]

1976ish cj5 304 t18 d20 2.5" lift

some year YJ custom frame HP D60 14 bolt 4 linked front rear FI 350 700r4 NP231c

2009 JK 4 door 2.5" lift 35" tires custom bumpers mile marker 9500# winch
8pitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2012, 07:47 AM   #4233
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Congrats on the nuts in you stomach drive with lights!!!

Something else to look at. The oem steering box brace holes sometimes wollow out so even if the grade 8's are tight it will move around. If that's the case then the brace is just a bandaid on top the real problem.

Have a productive day sir!!!
Unread 09-18-2012, 02:09 PM   #4234
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoC View Post
Congrats on the nuts in you stomach drive with lights!!!

Something else to look at. The oem steering box brace holes sometimes wollow out so even if the grade 8's are tight it will move around. If that's the case then the brace is just a bandaid on top the real problem.

Have a productive day sir!!!
I'll check that out MoC. I think/thought I fixed the steering box this morning, but it is hard to confirm. I would turn the wheel and then run up front... real fast... to see if the box was moving. But I never saw it moving! I'm going to get Clay to try it when he gets home from school. he's faster than me.

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2012, 02:28 PM   #4235
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

The Saga Continues...

Remember Fred Flintstone when he would say frgm-ragm-shmagm? How do you spell that? That's what I'm thinking. And I swear I am a magnet for never seize! I can walk by the bottle and it will get on me. What's up with that? Of course I used it this morning, and I had it all over my shorts and my arms!

It's been raining and the satellite is intermittent. The computer doesn't like to multi-task. I will try to get this down in one post, buuuut...

This is what I did today. It went pretty well, didn't take much time at all, very easy to do. The whole goal of this work this morning was to tighten/torque the lower ball joints. Because everybody told me I had to! You guys were right. You're ALWAYS right!

A little history on the D30 axle. I bought it second-hand from a guy down in Gainesville. I wanted WT axles for Clay's Jeep, and I couldn't get the set. I got it for $100, minus the knuckles. The PO used the knuckles on his Scout, and I ended up with Scout knuckles, 6-bolt IH lockouts, rotors, calipers, and caliper stands. I used the knuckles from the NT D30. I swapped it all over with the intention... the intention... of coming back to it. I was still wet behind the ears at the time, and I just plain forgot about it. It's a good thing I went back to check everything because the lowers were very loose.

Here's the pics...

Rain pictures so you guys can feel sorry for me and know how hard it was for me to complete my work... in my dry shop, with the metal roof, where I couldn't hear the stereo for the drumming on the tin!

The Patient... I used two jackstands.

The first side.

Nifty little tools for removing torx head screws.

Niftier tool!

Lockout removed.

Removing hub.

Only two bolts with washers.

Tap the hub off with a rubber mallet.

Backside of hub.

My PO is a real redneck! Axle nut... the first one.

Washer is after the nut.

Another nut! Dang... how many nuts is there!? PO is still a redneck.

This is a secret washer! It's there but hard to see.

There it is... told ya so.

You're looking at the outer wheel bearing.

Wheel bearing removed.

Continued....

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
Scott's Build Thread
Unread 09-18-2012, 02:28 PM   #4236
Gido
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr

I'll check that out MoC. I think/thought I fixed the steering box this morning, but it is hard to confirm. I would turn the wheel and then run up front... real fast... to see if the box was moving. But I never saw it moving! I'm going to get Clay to try it when he gets home from school. he's faster than me.
Lol. I hope he is otherwise y'all will never figure it out. Haha

in memory of Jimmy Smith - a wise man
Gido is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2012, 02:32 PM   #4237
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gido View Post
Lol. I hope he is otherwise y'all will never figure it out. Haha
He is chain-lightning, Dude! Ever see an Elephant run (on TV I mean)? Clay is like that.

Clay's Build Thread
Scott's Build Thread
Unread 09-18-2012, 02:45 PM   #4238
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Someday I am going to own a REAL computer. And I'm going to have DSL. Some day...

These are the tools I used to get to this point. Not much needed.

Knocking the retainer clip out of my caliper. Pay attention to how it comes out.

This is the front of the rotor.

This is the backside. You can see the where the studs are pressed into the assembly.

So now I am looking at the spindle.

Remove the bolts and whack it with a rubber mallet.

Whacking and pulling, whacking and pulling...

Backside of spindle.

Axle is kind of hanging out, just waiting.

Grab the shaft firmly in your hand and pull.

Pull harder. Easy Big Boys.

Ahhhh... the empty axle housing.

All this work to get to that little bolt. Evidence is clear that you should "do it right the first time"!

Torquing. I got maybe 4-6 turns before I got where it needed to be.

All done. On to the other side. Put it all back together in reverse order.

Clay's Build Thread
Scott's Build Thread
Unread 09-18-2012, 02:47 PM   #4239
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
I would turn the wheel and then run up front... real fast... to see if the box was moving. But I never saw it moving!
Hahaha, love it!

So thats what rain looks like, huh. Haven't seen rain since I brought my New/old 304 home two months ago. Thank goodness for contractors bags. I won't probably see a decent rain again for 10 months (no joke)
Dadamsnv is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2012, 02:50 PM   #4240
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

What you are working on is... strangely familiar. Nice work!
Unread 09-18-2012, 03:02 PM   #4241
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

NOTES*

This is not difficult to do. Simple tools are all that's necessary. You can't mess it up. When you remove the axle nuts and washers, lay them out in the order you removed them.

Everything got cleaned up and regreased. Bearings were re-packed. Everything internal looked very good.

Don't rely on your memory! Do things that need to be done WHEN they need to be done. This could have been a major accident, and I would have caused it.

Tighten bolts in a cross-wise manor. Don't do it radially, like around the clock face. You need to torque everything down as evenly as possible. I think everybody already knows that, but I'm throwing it out there.

After reassembling everything I did the homebrew alignment according to TJ-Joe. I discovered I was 4.5" too narrow in the front! So much for eye-balling!

Steering is 1001% improved! I have some slop in the steering wheel, which, for now, I will attribute to the steering box. I couldn't not loosen the adjustment bolt to remove the play! Need a bigger wrench. MAY need another steering box... we'll see about that later.

I installed another bolt in the steering box where the nut was missing. This is the the bolt closest to the firewall, where three bolts go into the frame. I stuck a 3/8" nut inside the frame rail and pushed it with my finger. It disappeared! So I got a light to look inside. The reason I said the captured nut was missing is because the captured nut is bigger than 3/8s! So I found the correct sized bolt and installed it... head is 5/8, whatever size bolt that is! Steering box is tight. ALL of the steering box bolts were LOOSE! But I had tightened them ALL... FOR SURE! JEEP DEMONS EVERYWHERE!

On a side note... I could not find my bottle of air tool oil! It is gone! Why?

Maybe my steering box is still moving. Won't know until I get some help to check it out. Bill explained to me via phone how to make a brace. That is next on the list of things to do.

Took it out for a spin! Got up to 50 MPH. No real issues but it is SO REPSONSIVE that you MUST be careful. It does NOT handle like my 7. Aired the tires up and took it for another spin. Back to 50 MPH... thought I was going to become airborn! It wanted to fly! No driveline vibrations. There is a roaring, but I can't tell if it is tires or rearend... sounds like tires to me. Start off in first (which is really second because it has Low), no problems. Shifts well. I have rear brakes only... front line is leaking.

Clay's Build Thread
Scott's Build Thread
Unread 09-18-2012, 03:51 PM   #4242
2girlsAndaGuy
1979 CJ5 

wow all that work for one little bolt, crazy!

David
2girlsAndaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2012, 04:04 PM   #4243
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

dont worry, he gets to redo some of it
Unread 09-18-2012, 04:42 PM   #4244
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Kerrdog, this is what I have so far.

image-3111601956.jpg
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
2005 TJ Rubicon.
Unread 09-18-2012, 05:45 PM   #4245
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

The bolt you used was a 7/16
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
2005 TJ Rubicon.

Tags
1979 , cj5 , fiberglass , rollcage , tailgate

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.