Clay's Build Thread - Page 280 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Clay's Build Thread

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 09-12-2012, 11:21 AM   #4186
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
Rich, what blue paint did you use? I remember (I think) when you did that refurbish. I think you posted it up, but I'm not going back to try and find it.

Just spoke with Clay to see how it went. The way this worked this morning was they graded on visual quality of the weld, but also how Clay set up for the weld. The machine was preset... Clay could not make any adjustments. Clay said it was too hot. He had to weld horizontal, vertical, and overhead fillet welds on steel first, all flux core. He said that went alright, but he was visibly shaking!! Gosh, poor kid. I feel for him! One of the scenarios was that he had a bad "fit-up". This was already set up. He was supposed to look it over, figure out what was wrong, and weld accordingly. Clay looked it over, saw no gouges, spaces/gaps, etc, and he said he hammered it with a beautiful weld. I was thinking, "That's MY boy!" Turns out the two pieces were not perpendicular, and he was supposed to weld on one side first, causing it to pull the one piece BACK to perpendicular as it cooled. He did it bassackwards!! I think the concept is neat, and I wouldn't have thought of it either! He finished welding with aluminum, doing horizontal and vertical welds. The material was 1/8" thick. First time Clay has ever welded aluminum, and the welds came out very nice, which surprised and pleased Clay. His instructor told him he did well for his first-ever weld test. Classroom material was easy, and Clay finished ahead of the clock. He feels good, but he has no idea. The other guys are capable too. Will keep you posted.
Fortunately for me, I didn't have to paint the blue part of the locking hubs. I just cleaned the blue part up.

Well...those types of weld tests are new to me. I guess they just want to see what your experiences with welding have taught you about approaches.

Those type of tests don't evaluate the actual strength or purity (hidden defects) of the weld...mostly they check the outward appearance of the weld...to see if you can run out-of-position (not flat position) beads.

I'm sure that this was just a preliminary evaluation, and that if the forestry org. is initially impressed with Clay's overall performance, there'll be more formal testing to meet their needs.

Kudos to him on pulling off running decent looking beads with a machine that is set too hot, and welding a metal that he has never welded before.

So, there were 3 people trying out....is this for just one opening? If so, hopefully Clay out-performed his competition. Was he able to see the other guys' welds?

Rich

There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
rixcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2012, 02:35 PM   #4187
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rixcj View Post
Fortunately for me, I didn't have to paint the blue part of the locking hubs. I just cleaned the blue part up.

So, there were 3 people trying out....is this for just one opening? If so, hopefully Clay out-performed his competition. Was he able to see the other guys' welds?

Rich
Your blue paint cleaned up NICE!

Clay did not get to see the others. His test was from 8 - 10 this morning, then he had to go to school. It will probably come down to age, wisdom, experience, etc. Depends on what Forestry wants. I wish I had Clay's initiative when I was 18!

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2012, 06:04 PM   #4188
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Here are some things that are going on.

How do I paint the patch job around the side-marker light? Do I mask off the area, hit it with primer, and repaint it?? Seems like it would make edges. Not sure what to do. The primer is a high build primer and the paint is single stage paint. I have only a handful left.

The 2nd pic is showing some rubber I bought to use as spacers between the A Pillar and the WS frame. They are pushed into place and very tightly held by the WS pressure. I'm hoping this is enough to keep the WS from flexing in the wind and recracking my cowl. No way to make a bracket and fasten the frame to the cage.

The 3rd pic is the hood, finally, on the Jeep. It is just siting there. Honey went to town tonight to get bolts for me (and hotdog buns!), but Lowes doesn't carry flange head bolts??? You gotta be kidding...
img_1501_1.jpg   img_1502_1.jpg   img_1504_1.jpg  

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
Scott's Build Thread
Unread 09-12-2012, 11:16 PM   #4189
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Here are some things that are going on.

How do I paint the patch job around the side-marker light? Do I mask off the area, hit it with primer, and repaint it?? Seems like it would make edges. Not sure what to do. The primer is a high build primer and the paint is single stage paint. I have only a handful left.

The 2nd pic is showing some rubber I bought to use as spacers between the A Pillar and the WS frame. They are pushed into place and very tightly held by the WS pressure. I'm hoping this is enough to keep the WS from flexing in the wind and recracking my cowl. No way to make a bracket and fasten the frame to the cage.

The 3rd pic is the hood, finally, on the Jeep. It is just siting there. Honey went to town tonight to get bolts for me (and hotdog buns!), but Lowes doesn't carry flange head bolts??? You gotta be kidding...
Hopefully the rubber will do the trick. In the event that it keeps falling out, could you possibly insert a piece of metal, about the same size as the rubber, and tack it to the frame, and to the rollbar?

I know that that would make it pretty much permanent, and that if you ever wanted to remove the roll cage, you'd have to cut the tacks, but do you think that you'll be removing the cage any time soon? I would guess (and hope!) not.

Or, better yet, could you glue the rubber to the windshield frame? That way, it shouldn't be able to fall out.

As far as the flanged head bolts goes, those are typically used in an automotive or industrial setting. Those big box home improvement stores don't carry a wide variety of stuff like that.

Those are more of a Tractor Supply, Mc-Master-Carr, Graingers, and some auto parts stores (starter bolts, alternator bolts, and the like...).

Can't help you much with the paint repair, but I don't think that masking off the area is the best solution. I'm sure that other auto body guys will chime in.

Rich

There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
rixcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2012, 03:37 AM   #4190
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

Skipper shot your primer then your 2K primer (hi build) larger than the repair. Block sand with 320 then repaint the whole panel you wont be able to spot paint it cause it will be very noticedable.
gmakra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2012, 04:00 AM   #4191
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

Skipper I recieved these emails yesterday and I havent even had my interview yet, do you think they want me?

George,

Would you be interested in traveling to New Orleans tomorrow

Or Friday and supervise the cleaning and restoration workbeing performed over the weekend. We can pay you for your time and travelexpenses. We have a company coming in to sporicide, clean,

And need a few things done that maybe you can do. If you areavailable, let me know asap. You would return on Monday or Tuesday. Thanks

And this ones for Henderson NV
Another project. You can be busy here! Call me when you get achance. Thanks

Wanda,

Henneman will be scheduling a site visit to assess theconditions on site and make a determination of the issues with what informationthe gather.

From what little information is available about this facility,being the plans received were not of the correct area of the facility and thatduring the conference call Henneman participated in a comment was madeindicating that the Clean Room suite, and Air Handler for the pharmacy, was notlocated on the plans or specs. At this point, the ONLY things Hennemanknows about the Henderson facility is that the Air Handling coil freezes up,the air is apparently not cooling down to the thermostat set-point, themechanical inspection information of the equipment and the logger information.

The site visit would consist of the following:

1. Sketching a rough layout of the ductwork (supply/return) servingthe Clean Room Suite.

2. Sketching the layout of the ceiling-mounted Fan Filter Units.

3. Confirming model number of the Air Handling Unit supplying theClean Room Suite.

4. Obtaining relevant dimensions of various components.

5. General Clean Room Suite and Air Handling Unit observations tosee what other pertinent items (or lack thereof) may be creating temperatureand humidity control issues.

Once they get a date scheduled I will let you know soarrangements can be made to get them access to the spaces.

gmakra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2012, 04:58 AM   #4192
1983 CJ7 

Why would a guy post personal email about a job offer on Clay's build thread...very bizarre
Unread 09-13-2012, 06:44 AM   #4193
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rixcj View Post
Hopefully the rubber will do the trick. In the event that it keeps falling out, could you possibly insert a piece of metal, about the same size as the rubber, and tack it to the frame, and to the rollbar?

I know that that would make it pretty much permanent, and that if you ever wanted to remove the roll cage, you'd have to cut the tacks, but do you think that you'll be removing the cage any time soon? I would guess (and hope!) not.

Or, better yet, could you glue the rubber to the windshield frame? That way, it shouldn't be able to fall out.

As far as the flanged head bolts goes, those are typically used in an automotive or industrial setting. Those big box home improvement stores don't carry a wide variety of stuff like that.

Those are more of a Tractor Supply, Mc-Master-Carr, Graingers, and some auto parts stores (starter bolts, alternator bolts, and the like...).

Can't help you much with the paint repair, but I don't think that masking off the area is the best solution. I'm sure that other auto body guys will chime in.

Rich
I hadn't thought about tacking a piece of metal between the roll bar and the WS frame. That's a good solution if needed. The 3/4" rubber is wedged in there pretty tightly. The A pillar, the FG tub, and the extensive repair to the WS frame, I think, has changed the dynamics of the fit-up of all the parts together. It was difficult to get all the bolts in relating to the WS, dash, and cowl. The A pillar is not perfect, and it is closer to the WS on the pass. side. I don't think the rubber will fall out, but if it does I'll glue it in.

Picked up the flange head bolts at the local Ace Hardware this morning. I should have the hood completely installed today... hoping!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmakra View Post
Skipper shot your primer then your 2K primer (hi build) larger than the repair. Block sand with 320 then repaint the whole panel you wont be able to spot paint it cause it will be very noticedable.
So no worries about primer overspray on the finish paint? I assume I need to scuff an area around the repair so the primer will bond?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmakra View Post
Skipper I recieved these emails yesterday and I havent even had my interview yet, do you think they want me?
Yep! I'd say they want you. Congrats George.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
Why would a guy post personal email about a job offer on Clay's build thread...very bizarre
Insider trading...

Clay's Build Thread
Scott's Build Thread
Unread 09-13-2012, 11:39 AM   #4194
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

The 7,

image-3842070247.jpg

image-2241002992.jpg

Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2012, 01:29 PM   #4195
Gido
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucdog
The 7,

Bill
Is that a sub in the passenger seat? Is the jeep so loud that u can't hear the bass with the sub in the back? Hahahaa.

in memory of Jimmy Smith - a wise man
Gido is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2012, 03:21 PM   #4196
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gido

Is that a sub in the passenger seat? Is the jeep so loud that u can't hear the bass with the sub in the back? Hahahaa.
No it's just 2 5" speakers, I moved them for access to something. It is loud with the 360 with glasspacks though.
Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2012, 03:43 PM   #4197
Gido
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucdog

No it's just 2 5" speakers, I moved them for access to something. It is loud with the 360 with glasspacks though.
Bill
Lol. I hear Ya! 304 with glass packs coming out the sides right in front of the rear wheels. I know what u mean.

in memory of Jimmy Smith - a wise man
Gido is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2012, 01:56 PM   #4198
jacques25150
1982 CJ7 

re

Quote:
Bon Jour, Jacques! Glad you were going slow, and I am glad you walked away! Broken ribs sure do HURT!
It was in 2009: it is the past; 6 weeks with big distress;
now: no more problems, the FJR is also in good condition and i have a CJ7
jacques25150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2012, 09:45 AM   #4199
1983 CJ7 

Scott,

I opened the jar labeled "Scott's Hot Salsa" this morning and I have to tell you, it is GOOD!

It has a unique flavor, was not hot to my burned out taste buds and you should can and sell it

Mrs Kerr, if you are reading over Scott's shoulder....thank you

Unread 09-15-2012, 03:40 PM   #4200
Turtle71
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Rich, what blue paint did you use? I remember (I think) when you did that refurbish. I think you posted it up, but I'm not going back to try and find it.
MoC did a refurb too....maybe you remember that one. Starts on post 185.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/mo...0/index13.html

Tags
1979 , cj5 , fiberglass , rollcage , tailgate

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.