Clay's Build Thread - Page 279 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Clay's Build Thread

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-11-2012, 05:59 PM   #4171
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

Skipper Dude are you becoming a slacker?
Shipping off peppers and tomatoes when you should be working on Clays Jeep.

gmakra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2012, 11:55 PM   #4172
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchJPR View Post
Had some issues with them Superwinch locking hubs and bolts myself recently. I had to re-tighten them after every 4x4 ride.
Used new (half thread) 3/8" x 1 3/4" grade 5 bolts to replace them. Also cleaned the thread in the hub, applied blue loctite on the bolts and added a (external)star locking washer. No loosy bolts anymore.....
I will keep an eye on those bolts as well, but the ones that were loose on my hubs are the skinny "screws" that hold the outside hub cover on. The hub cover being the grayish part with the lock mechanism inside of it. Don't know what you call it! I haven't checked any stores for a direct replacement yet, but I hope I can find them locally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
Thanks for the peppers and tomatoes! My mouth started watering as soon as I unwrapped the peppers so naturally, I had to pop the top and garnish the baked chicken this afternoon....well, garnish the peppers with a baked chicken may be more accurate
The peppers probably won't measure up to your standard, Dave, but I hope you like the taste. I can't put myself in your pepper class! The tomatoes should have okra in it too. It's great heated up and served over rice. To die for...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmakra View Post
Skipper Dude are you becoming a slacker?
Shipping off peppers and tomatoes when you should be working on Clays Jeep.
Actualy, no... no slackers here. Just frustrated Jeep owners/builders. You saw the cracked cowl from the WS... it had flat washers behind it. We WERE going to make plates to go behind that part of the cowl, but that plumb evaded us! It has been reinforced with stout glass. It will again get flat washers. It will be held firmly against the A pillar so as not the "flap" in the wind and cause it to crack again.

THEN!!! Clay was mounting the rear side-marker lights. Right side is done. Nice job. The left side he "stood up" while he cut the hole. Therefore, his perspective was BAD. The hole goes downhill. It's too wide. The lens doesn't cover it. I'm back in the body work business.

Film at 11.

TOMORROW... which is really TODAY.

I will finish the side marker light, install the WS, hopefully the hood, and start to mask off areas we scratched up for touch up painting. I can't believe, really can't believe, how badly we beat this thing up while finishing everything.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2012, 12:12 AM   #4173
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Dang! I'm losing my mind! I forgot to mention Clay...

Clay has a welding test for the Forestry Dept Wednesday morning (9/12) starting at 8:00. He has to weld horizontal, vertical and overhead. If I was listening fully and remember correctly, he is welding flux core and aluminum, which he has never done. His college welding instructor is actually giving the exam, and he likes Clay. Clay is 18 and the two other candidates are 40 +/-. All three candidates were in the same welding class together... they are classmates! I promise none of them will have the determination that Clay has. He also has 50 questions to answer, and he has to figure out a word problem that requires you to figure up a bill of materials. If you're the praying kind, say a little word for Clay. If you're not the praying kind, please wish him luck.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Unread 09-12-2012, 12:13 AM   #4174
8pitcher
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr

Clay has a welding test for the Forestry Dept Wednesday morning (9/12) starting at 8:00. He has to weld horizontal, vertical and overhead. If I was listening fully and remember correctly, he is welding flux core and aluminum, which he has never done. His college welding instructor is actually giving the exam, and he likes Clay. Clay is 18 and the two other candidates are 40 +/-. All three candidates were in the same welding class together... they are classmates! I promise none of them will have the determination that Clay has. He also has 50 questions to answer, and he has to figure out a word problem that requires you to figure up a bill of materials. If you're the praying kind, say a little word for Clay. If you're not the praying kind, please wish him luck.
Good luck clay. Tell him that.
[URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #640[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]

1976ish cj5 304 t18 d20 2.5" lift

some year YJ custom frame HP D60 14 bolt 4 linked front rear FI 350 700r4 NP231c

2009 JK 4 door 2.5" lift 35" tires custom bumpers mile marker 9500# winch
8pitcher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2012, 12:27 AM   #4175
Bojon
1981 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post

Best of luck to Clay. I'm sure everything will work out for the best. In a lot of ways, I wish I would have taken a few years off before college, could have used the time to grow up. Plus, then when he goes to college and graduates, he will already have some experience. Too many of my friends have lost out on jobs because they don't have experience, but can't get any jobs to gain experience . Only Clay can decide what he wants to do, but boy am I glad I'm not in his position

Jered
Bojon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2012, 04:51 AM   #4176
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

Skipper best wishes to Clay.

I myself am interviewing for a new job tommorow myself. Today I travel to Fort Wayne Indiana to do some trouble shooting at one of thier sites. I have worked with some of the guys before at a different company. The job is to be in charge of building and maintaining 80 + clean rooms for the pharmancy industry through out the US. So when I am not on the road I work from home. So there is a chance you could see me again and I thnk there is one in Peoria and if thats the case I look forward to singing Short People to the spelling police/Bill. I figure I owe this to Bill on account of how much grief he has given me about my spooling!

So your back in the autobody business, I can just see you now talking to the "Yankee Boatyard Owner" about Q cells LOL
gmakra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2012, 05:50 AM   #4177
1983 CJ7 

Good luck on the test Clay!!!

Good luck brushing up on your bodywork skills Scott

Hey, I like super-hot peppers but the flavor is more important. The pickled peppers are great, not too hot to put a handful on a burger, or scrambled eggs and sausage this morning
Unread 09-12-2012, 06:03 AM   #4178
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

All my best to Clay , I'm sure he will do well.

Scott, I have to say I admire your patience on the tub. Your close to the completion of the Jeep. Sometimes it seems like the small stuff takes the most time. Hang in there my friend.

George, you can stop by anytime. Just don't tell the wife, she will have me cleaning for a week!

Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2012, 06:05 AM   #4179
lukenicwalker
1982 CJ7 

Praying for skillful hands, knowledgable answers, and wise decisions!
Unread 09-12-2012, 06:53 AM   #4180
Gido
1980 CJ7 

Praying for clay! I will go down to the forestry hangar in Tallahassee today and see if anyone knows who is making the calls over there and put in a good word for him!

in memory of Jimmy Smith - a wise man
Gido is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2012, 07:16 AM   #4181
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Kick some welding a$$ today, Clay!!

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2012, 09:33 AM   #4182
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
I will keep an eye on those bolts as well, but the ones that were loose on my hubs are the skinny "screws" that hold the outside hub cover on. The hub cover being the grayish part with the lock mechanism inside of it. Don't know what you call it! I haven't checked any stores for a direct replacement yet, but I hope I can find them locally.
You mean these?...

http://www.superwinch.com/products/p...0.0.0.0?pp=25&

I found these screws when I refurbished mine...

Is Clay STARTING the tests today, or does he have to do them all today (which doesn't sound right...they're usually too extensive for that).

Plus, when you're welding a metal (especially something like aluminum), or a new welding process that you're not familiar with, you really need a good amount of time to practice before taking a test.

Please ask him how the test plates are tested...coupon bend, just a visual inspection of the weld, a break test, etc.

When it comes to this stuff, I am very curious and tend to ask a lot of questions. I apologize. (I'm actually restraining myself right now...)

Best of luck (and skill) to him!

Rich

There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
rixcj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2012, 09:39 AM   #4183
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8pitcher View Post
Good luck clay. Tell him that.
Thank you, Trent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bojon View Post
Best of luck to Clay. I'm sure everything will work out for the best. In a lot of ways, I wish I would have taken a few years off before college, could have used the time to grow up. Plus, then when he goes to college and graduates, he will already have some experience. Too many of my friends have lost out on jobs because they don't have experience, but can't get any jobs to gain experience . Only Clay can decide what he wants to do, but boy am I glad I'm not in his position
As a Florida state employee, you can take "X" amount of classes and be reimbursed. The classes can be anything as long as you maintain a specific GPA. This could be one of the very best things he experiences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmakra View Post
Skipper best wishes to Clay.

I myself am interviewing for a new job tommorow myself. Today I travel to Fort Wayne Indiana to do some trouble shooting at one of thier sites. I have worked with some of the guys before at a different company. The job is to be in charge of building and maintaining 80 + clean rooms for the pharmancy industry through out the US. So when I am not on the road I work from home. So there is a chance you could see me again and I thnk there is one in Peoria and if thats the case I look forward to singing Short People to the spelling police/Bill. I figure I owe this to Bill on account of how much grief he has given me about my spooling!

So your back in the autobody business, I can just see you now talking to the "Yankee Boatyard Owner" about Q cells LOL
You have a mind like an elephant!!! You never forget! You made me chuckle, George. I forgot about that comment.

Clean rooms, huh? Guess you will have to start bathing regularly. I mean, you'll have to practice what you preach. In that case, you'd be welcome to come back for a visit!! I will keep in our prayers, Buddy. Let me know how it goes. BTW!?!??! I thought you owned Chicago??

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
Good luck on the test Clay!!!

Good luck brushing up on your bodywork skills Scott

Hey, I like super-hot peppers but the flavor is more important. The pickled peppers are great, not too hot to put a handful on a burger, or scrambled eggs and sausage this morning
Ugh... bodywork! I have to figure out how to prep the area for paint. Pics to follow.

Having you say you like peppers is like passing a MAJOR level of accomplishment! I will tell my fabulous wife!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucdog View Post
All my best to Clay , I'm sure he will do well.

Scott, I have to say I admire your patience on the tub. Your close to the completion of the Jeep. Sometimes it seems like the small stuff takes the most time. Hang in there my friend.

George, you can stop by anytime. Just don't tell the wife, she will have me cleaning for a week!

Bill
Will you come down here and finish the body work for me?? I can't bear it anymore. And keep in mind that Vic won't have to clean on George's account at all. He's liable to clean your house himself! OH, SHOOT!! Put him in the garage!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukenicwalker View Post
Praying for skillful hands, knowledgable answers, and wise decisions!
Very kind Luke. Thank you, Bro...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gido View Post
Praying for clay! I will go down to the forestry hangar in Tallahassee today and see if anyone knows who is making the calls over there and put in a good word for him!
You're awesome Gido. See if you can get him $50 grand a year too, please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
Kick some welding a$$ today, Clay!!

Matt
Made me smile, Matt! Thanks Bro.

Unread 09-12-2012, 10:57 AM   #4184
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

Late to the party... but good luck to clay!!!

Also, you may be able to find the screws here

http://www.mcmaster.com/#screws/=j9ekvl

but they also, shouldn't be too hard to find around town I'd think. At least not here
Dadamsnv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2012, 11:29 AM   #4185
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rixcj View Post
You mean these?...

http://www.superwinch.com/products/p...0.0.0.0?pp=25&

I found these screws when I refurbished mine...

Is Clay STARTING the tests today, or does he have to do them all today (which doesn't sound right...they're usually too extensive for that).

Plus, when you're welding a metal (especially something like aluminum), or a new welding process that you're not familiar with, you really need a good amount of time to practice before taking a test.

Please ask him how the test plates are tested...coupon bend, just a visual inspection of the weld, a break test, etc.

When it comes to this stuff, I am very curious and tend to ask a lot of questions. I apologize. (I'm actually restraining myself right now...)

Best of luck (and skill) to him!

Rich
Rich, what blue paint did you use? I remember (I think) when you did that refurbish. I think you posted it up, but I'm not going back to try and find it.

Just spoke with Clay to see how it went. The way this worked this morning was they graded on visual quality of the weld, but also how Clay set up for the weld. The machine was preset... Clay could not make any adjustments. Clay said it was too hot. He had to weld horizontal, vertical, and overhead fillet welds on steel first, all flux core. He said that went alright, but he was visibly shaking!! Gosh, poor kid. I feel for him! One of the scenarios was that he had a bad "fit-up". This was already set up. He was supposed to look it over, figure out what was wrong, and weld accordingly. Clay looked it over, saw no gouges, spaces/gaps, etc, and he said he hammered it with a beautiful weld. I was thinking, "That's MY boy!" Turns out the two pieces were not perpendicular, and he was supposed to weld on one side first, causing it to pull the one piece BACK to perpendicular as it cooled. He did it bassackwards!! I think the concept is neat, and I wouldn't have thought of it either! He finished welding with aluminum, doing horizontal and vertical welds. The material was 1/8" thick. First time Clay has ever welded aluminum, and the welds came out very nice, which surprised and pleased Clay. His instructor told him he did well for his first-ever weld test. Classroom material was easy, and Clay finished ahead of the clock. He feels good, but he has no idea. The other guys are capable too. Will keep you posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadamsnv View Post
Late to the party... but good luck to clay!!!

Also, you may be able to find the screws here

http://www.mcmaster.com/#screws/=j9ekvl

but they also, shouldn't be too hard to find around town I'd think. At least not here
Thanks, Daniel. I appreciate the research.

Tags
1979 , cj5 , fiberglass , rollcage , tailgate

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.