Clay's Build Thread - Page 278 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Clay's Build Thread

Halloween Savings to die for!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 09-09-2012, 11:29 AM   #4156
jacques25150
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
I love BMWs... always have. I had a similar experience on my GS1100G. ALMOST went down. ALMOST went off the mountain. Rode slow the rest of the time we were in the Blue Ridge. Glad you're okay.

Tomorrow... High-Build Primer!

There's that ad again!
HA!!! Iam not alone: I have A FJR1300 and i AM get down also in june 2009 on a thick graver layer: 2 broken ribs and the FJR limit unripairable: my speed? 45 km/h

jacques25150 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2012, 11:35 AM   #4157
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques25150 View Post
HA!!! Iam not alone: I have A FJR1300 and i AM get down also in june 2009 on a thick graver layer: 2 broken ribs and the FJR limit unripairable: my speed? 45 km/h
Bon Jour, Jacques! Glad you were going slow, and I am glad you walked away! Broken ribs sure do HURT!

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2012, 11:46 AM   #4158
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Clayton with the "Jeep Slave" mark on his forehead! He is very agitated in this pic.

And the cowl seal. The gap between the WS frame and the cowl is not even. I don't think the drilled holes in the cowl are in the right places. The seal does not sit flat/flush when the WS is raised. Typical cowl seal installation problems here. Debating using the 3M tape, but I don't see how that is going to solve my issue. I think it is differences in tub mfg, and making the seal bend against itself is short term using tape. I will bolt the hinges to the frame, raise the WS, and check the hole positions on the cowl. Maybe that will work.
100_4123_1.jpg   100_4124_1.jpg  

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Unread 09-09-2012, 02:54 PM   #4159
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Scott...I know that you are in Fl., but don't you need to ever use the defrosters? I noticed that you didn't cut the defroster holes in the top of the cowl.

I am going to do something that you guys did, though...on the 'glass tub that I'm working on, I'm NOT going to cut out the fresh air opening in the cowl. I really won't use that feature, and it's just another place for rain to leak in from.

Rich

There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
rixcj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2012, 04:04 PM   #4160
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rixcj View Post
Scott...I know that you are in Fl., but don't you need to ever use the defrosters? I noticed that you didn't cut the defroster holes in the top of the cowl.

I am going to do something that you guys did, though...on the 'glass tub that I'm working on, I'm NOT going to cut out the fresh air opening in the cowl. I really won't use that feature, and it's just another place for rain to leak in from.

Rich
He doesn't have a fan so defroster, for now, is a moot point. I expect to have to install all that at some date, but for now we are just trying to get it OUT of the shop! I do not think we will install a factory air box just because of the room it takes up. That being said, I have no idea how large a Mojave, etc, is... wiping with a towel is his defrost for awhile! Seeing as how this thing is going to be SO NOT airtight, is a defroster going to be necessary?

Unread 09-09-2012, 04:14 PM   #4161
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Questions, commentary, and disillusionment (is that a word?)

Clay's Jeep has Superwinch 6-bolt lockouts. I was checking stuff over and I discovered that all 6 bolts were super loose, and one is missing. These are the long, skinny screws that hold the actual locking portion of the hub. Where can I find one of these screws, or should I swap them out for the 6 bolt Warns I have on the shelf? NOTE* I went through the hubs, cleaned and greased, so they are good to go. A Gremlin came behind me and loosened the screws!

The WS is nearly done. I can't believe it is giving me so much trouble! After tightening up the two dash brackets the seal is bulging outward. Clay was able to push the seal back into position with a paint stick. It might work for you too.

Tightening down the bolts that hold the WS hinge to the cowl, the cowl cracked. It was cracked here before, and I had repaired it. Not good enough! Clay added some stout glass (biaxial, and 1 1/2 ounce mat) to the inside of the cowl, reinforcing it. Maybe it will stop cracking. I can tell you this windshield will not be lowered!
img_1494_1.jpg   img_1495_1.jpg   img_1496_1.jpg  

Unread 09-09-2012, 04:20 PM   #4162
8pitcher
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr

Clay's Jeep has Superwinch 6-bolt lockouts. I was checking stuff over and I discovered that all 6 bolts were super loose, and one is missing. These are the long, skinny screws that hold the actual locking portion of the hub. Where can I find one of these screws, or should I swap them out for the 6 bolt Warns I have on the shelf? NOTE* I went through the hubs, cleaned and greased, so they are good to go. A Gremlin came behind me and loosened the screws!

The WS is nearly done. I can't believe it is giving me so much trouble! After tightening up the two dash brackets the seal is bulging outward. Clay was able to push the seal back into position with a paint stick. It might work for you too.

Tightening down the bolts that hold the WS hinge to the cowl, the cowl cracked. It was cracked here before, and I had repaired it. Not good enough! Clay added some stout glass (biaxial, and 1 1/2 ounce mat) to the inside of the cowl, reinforcing it. Maybe it will stop cracking. I can tell you this windshield will not be lowered!
I have a bolt like that.
[URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #640[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]

1976ish cj5 304 t18 d20 2.5" lift

some year YJ custom frame HP D60 14 bolt 4 linked front rear FI 350 700r4 NP231c

2009 JK 4 door 2.5" lift 35" tires custom bumpers mile marker 9500# winch
8pitcher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2012, 05:21 PM   #4163
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Quote:
He doesn't have a fan so defroster, for now, is a moot point. Seeing as how this thing is going to be SO NOT airtight, is a defroster going to be necessary?
I have no idea. In a pinch, I guess a roll of paper towels will work.

Rich

There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
rixcj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2012, 06:09 PM   #4164
1983 CJ7 

Rain-X Anti-Fog works reasonably well, but I bet those hot, muggy north Florida days are going to steam it up.
Unread 09-10-2012, 02:52 AM   #4165
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

I lost a couple of ny lockout bolts too. I just used regular bolts the same size as the originals. They are held in with lick washers, since those tab locks didn't work at all..

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2012, 05:20 AM   #4166
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

Skipper on the lower windshield bolt holes that are cracked, I dont thing you need to worry just use some fender washers on the back side.
Defroster is nice but I am pretty sure you can live with out it.
gmakra is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2012, 07:54 AM   #4167
mvigo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
Rain-X Anti-Fog works reasonably well, but I bet those hot, muggy north Florida days are going to steam it up.
I use this as well and it does help out but you have to apply it more then you think...
1985 CJ-7, fuel injected 258, 2.5" Rubicon Express Extreme Duty Lift, 1" Body lift, Crabtree Shackle Hangers, T-5, Dana 300 w/ 4:1 Teralow kit, Dana 30, AMC 20 w/1 piece axle, 3.73 's with Detroit Truetrac front and rear, riding on 32x11.5x15" Cooper Discoverer STT mud terrains
mvigo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2012, 08:02 PM   #4168
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

When needed I use a squeegee, rags and towels don't soak up all the moisture.

Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2012, 01:40 PM   #4169
DutchJPR
1986 CJ7 

Quote:

Had some issues with them Superwinch locking hubs and bolts myself recently. I had to re-tighten them after every 4x4 ride.
Used new (half thread) 3/8" x 1 3/4" grade 5 bolts to replace them. Also cleaned the thread in the hub, applied blue loctite on the bolts and added a (external)star locking washer. No loosy bolts anymore.....
Unread 09-11-2012, 04:50 PM   #4170
1983 CJ7 

Thanks for the peppers and tomatoes! My mouth started watering as soon as I unwrapped the peppers so naturally, I had to pop the top and garnish the baked chicken this afternoon....well, garnish the peppers with a baked chicken may be more accurate

Tags
1979 , cj5 , fiberglass , rollcage , tailgate

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.