Clay's Build Thread - Page 277 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Clay's Build Thread

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 09-07-2012, 02:19 PM   #4141
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

School School School!!!! School is more than just a degree. I can't even begin to describe the things and life skills I learned from school outside of my degree. Find an internship or something part time while going to school.

Dadamsnv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2012, 03:14 PM   #4142
spward

1985 CJ7 

School first. I started college in 89 and graduated in 2007. Wish I would have stayed in it the 1st time, but my choices I made are what turned me into the person I am now. Ironnically, 23 years ago today I was on my way to Great Lakes, IL for boot camp.

USN Hull #227
spward is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2012, 04:17 PM   #4143
scoutboater

1974 CJ5 

X3 for School. I've been fighting finances and time restraints for just over 8 years now trying to finish college, and I'll be graduating this Christmas. If he quits now, yeah, he could be a welder for the forestry service. If he stays in school tho, he could be a supervisor for the forestry service, still get to weld on junk, and make twice as much money (rough guess).
Unread 09-07-2012, 04:45 PM   #4144
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutboater View Post
x3 for school. I've been fighting finances and time restraints for just over 8 years now trying to finish college, and i'll be graduating this christmas. If he quits now, yeah, he could be a welder for the forestry service. If he stays in school tho, he could be a supervisor for the forestry service, still get to weld on junk, and make twice as much money (rough guess).
x2

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2012, 08:45 PM   #4145
Splinter
1980 CJ5 

My good wishes are for Clay. My son and his girlfriend and my son-in law are B pressure welders excelling in SS tig etc. but none of the above have done any aluminum. Clay is getting into some specialty stuff. Good for him.

My son and his girlfriend are now into QC as inspectors and examiners. They don't work a full year and are in 6 figure incomes working shutdowns as contractors. However schooling is still a large part of it. Welding has been good to them.
Splinter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2012, 12:24 AM   #4146
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

I wish Clay the best on his aluminum welding test(s). I'd love to know what the criteria is for the test is (i.e. is it a bend test, just a visual inspection, or what...). I'd love to share my experiences with aluminum, if you'd like. I am a welding instructor at EB. I teach all the tig students, including structural tig, pipe welding, and aluminum.

I'd love to know what grade of aluminum, what grade of wire, what shielding gas is used, and what welding positions the tests are done in. Good stuff!!

Rich

There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
rixcj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2012, 09:04 AM   #4147
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinter View Post
My good wishes are for Clay. My son and his girlfriend and my son-in law are B pressure welders excelling in SS tig etc. but none of the above have done any aluminum. Clay is getting into some specialty stuff. Good for him.

My son and his girlfriend are now into QC as inspectors and examiners. They don't work a full year and are in 6 figure incomes working shutdowns as contractors. However schooling is still a large part of it. Welding has been good to them.
Clay read this last night with interest. Thanks, Don. He is pursuing a Welding Engineering degree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rixcj View Post
I wish Clay the best on his aluminum welding test(s). I'd love to know what the criteria is for the test is (i.e. is it a bend test, just a visual inspection, or what...). I'd love to share my experiences with aluminum, if you'd like. I am a welding instructor at EB. I teach all the tig students, including structural tig, pipe welding, and aluminum.

I'd love to know what grade of aluminum, what grade of wire, what shielding gas is used, and what welding positions the tests are done in. Good stuff!!

Rich
Clay has never welded aluminum before, and I don't think the welding test is for aluminum. It appears the Forestry Dept has put together a weld test for the "short round" applicants. I think it is going to be basic stuff. Forestry wants someone young whom they can teach/train. I think Clay could learn aluminum fairly easily, but it would have to be OJT.

I'm sure he wouldn't mind sharing the test info with you once he is done. He is laboring between a "real job" and continuing with uninterrupted education. I think he has come to realize that he may never go back to school if he was to get a full time job now.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2012, 09:29 AM   #4148
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
Clay read this last night with interest. Thanks, Don. He is pursuing a Welding Engineering degree.

Clay has never welded aluminum before, and I don't think the welding test is for aluminum. It appears the Forestry Dept has put together a weld test for the "short round" applicants. I think it is going to be basic stuff. Forestry wants someone young whom they can teach/train. I think Clay could learn aluminum fairly easily, but it would have to be OJT.

I'm sure he wouldn't mind sharing the test info with you once he is done. He is laboring between a "real job" and continuing with uninterrupted education. I think he has come to realize that he may never go back to school if he was to get a full time job now.
There are 4 people at our company who started out "on the floor" as tradesmen. During that time, they took welding engineering courses, and finally got their degrees. The company paid for it, as it is job related.

They are now "off the floor", and are welding engineers for the company. Good deal!

Perhaps the forestry service offers such a program...best of both worlds!

Rich

There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
rixcj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2012, 10:13 AM   #4149
SonicR1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Oh, yes, the dilemma… That's kind of what happened to me, although I knew I wanted out of school, so that didn't help!!! Went away to college for the first year, came home for a girl and went to JC… JC was tough because I just couldn't get into it. So I went to the police academy, and now have 90 miss match units that I keep meaning to transfer and do something with, but at 37 years old, with a job with crazy unpredictable hours, two kids and a wife, I can't do anything right now. I kick myself for not just finishing when I was at the age. I would like to be working on my masters before I retire, but now I will be working on my BA first. But the flip side is, I was able to get the certificate needed to do what I wanted to do and all has worked out well for me. So the forestry service may be the perfect thing for him!

Tell him that I will put his name on my prayer list for direction!!!

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/sonics-05-tj-build-1168663/#post10985489"][COLOR="yellow"]The TJ[/COLOR][/URL]
2005 Wrangler X 4.0/6 speed, Dana 30/Ford 8.8--4.88--Eaton E-Lockers, 35" MT/R, Smittybilt bumpers/rockers/winch, SonicFab tire carrier, RE 3.5 springs, Zone 1.25 BL, FullTraction 3 link upper rear, RE super flex lower rears, UCF ultra high skid and lo/pro mount, brown dog mml.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sonics-74-cj5-build-1106795/"][COLOR="DarkOrange"]1974 CJ5 BUILD THREAD[/COLOR][/URL]
SonicR1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2012, 11:56 AM   #4150
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rixcj View Post
There are 4 people at our company who started out "on the floor" as tradesmen. During that time, they took welding engineering courses, and finally got their degrees. The company paid for it, as it is job related.
They are now "off the floor", and are welding engineers for the company. Good deal!

Perhaps the forestry service offers such a program...best of both worlds!

Rich
There is possibly that opportunity. The state does pay for your education. However, he has maxed out on welding courses available around here. A long term career with the Forstery Service seems to me like a good choice, although the money isn't really there. I think he would enjoy it immensely. His goals are pretty high... and then there's the Girl!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicR1 View Post
Oh, yes, the dilemma… That's kind of what happened to me, although I knew I wanted out of school, so that didn't help!!! Went away to college for the first year, came home for a girl and went to JC… JC was tough because I just couldn't get into it. So I went to the police academy, and now have 90 miss match units that I keep meaning to transfer and do something with, but at 37 years old, with a job with crazy unpredictable hours, two kids and a wife, I can't do anything right now. I kick myself for not just finishing when I was at the age. I would like to be working on my masters before I retire, but now I will be working on my BA first. But the flip side is, I was able to get the certificate needed to do what I wanted to do and all has worked out well for me. So the forestry service may be the perfect thing for him!

Tell him that I will put his name on my prayer list for direction!!!
Thanks, Bill. We both know why things have worked out well! I am in the very same boat. Raging waters all around, but calm around my ship!

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Unread 09-08-2012, 01:18 PM   #4151
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Clay is notching the crossbar that connects both sides of the A pillar. I eye-balled the height when we tacked it in, and I thought I had it where it would clear the wiper motor. BUT... no! Live and learn, I guess. Clay is still energized as we are so close to being done, so he doesn't seem to mind. He cut out about 50% of the width of the tube, flipped it and welded it back it. That gave a bit of reinforcement back to the tube. Here are some pics of his progress. More to come later...

Wiper motor! There has been a wild ton of discussion about them. I understand the three strands that go to the switch, but what is this single wire going to the housing? Obviously a ground, by what are the other wires that are cut off? This is the way the PO had it. I have new wiring from motor to switch, just have to figure out how it attaches into the dash harness. If anyone can tell me, saving me from laboring over the wiring schematic, I would be in your debt!
100_4110_1.jpg   100_4113_1.jpg   100_4116_1.jpg   100_4118_1.jpg  

Unread 09-08-2012, 08:35 PM   #4152
cjdogtoy
1976 CJ5 

Tell clay to stay in school. I have achieved some success without it but the road would have been allot easier, smoother, faster, and I'd probably be allot farther ahead had I finished my education. BTW how did your phone interview go?
Unread 09-09-2012, 08:57 AM   #4153
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdogtoy View Post
Tell clay to stay in school. I have achieved some success without it but the road would have been allot easier, smoother, faster, and I'd probably be allot farther ahead had I finished my education. BTW how did your phone interview go?
He will go through with the weld test, at the very least, to achieve interviewing practice. The end result is in God's hands.

My interview went really well. I am supposed to hear something by the first of this week. I remain guarded... don't want to be disappointed. But, really, going or staying is a blessing. It will be so much easier if they don't want me, but so much more exciting if they do!

Unread 09-09-2012, 09:01 AM   #4154
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Rained so hard last night!! I could hear the whine of cats and the squallin' of dogs as they impacted my roof! whump...YOWL!! WHUMP, WHUMP... arr arr arr arr!! Lightning lit up the house like it was daylight, and the thunder rattled the windows! What a cool storm.

Unread 09-09-2012, 09:06 AM   #4155
8pitcher
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr
Rained so hard last night!! I could hear the whine of cats and the squallin' of dogs as they impacted my roof! whump...YOWL!! WHUMP, WHUMP... arr arr arr arr!! Lightning lit up the house like it was daylight, and the thunder rattled the windows! What a cool storm.
Man thinking the sound of cats and dogs in pain makes you feel happy about a storm I may have to start thinking different about you.
[URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #640[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]

1976ish cj5 304 t18 d20 2.5" lift

some year YJ custom frame HP D60 14 bolt 4 linked front rear FI 350 700r4 NP231c

2009 JK 4 door 2.5" lift 35" tires custom bumpers mile marker 9500# winch
8pitcher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
1979 , cj5 , fiberglass , rollcage , tailgate

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.