Clay's Build Thread - Page 271 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Clay's Build Thread

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-26-2012, 04:43 PM   #4051
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchJPR View Post
Nice pics!.

I'll bet Clay can't wait to get it finished now he's driven it.....
Thanks Dutch. We've had a boatload of company thes epast two days, and everybody just left. Clay is heading out to the shop to get the sliders installed. Yeah, he is motivated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
Woot! woot! Lookin'good!!!! Is that a custom White Springs Bimini top?
You keep telling on yourself!! Only one knows one!! Actually, Clay covered the Jeep with a tarp while he was welding next to it, but I like the analogy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiz View Post
Happy for you guys. Looks great. Nothing quite like that first drive after so much work.
Agreed! Thanks, Mike. You have always been a benchmark for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucdog View Post
From the 4wd catalog, 76 thru 79 flared lines, 80 thru 86 "O" ring style.

To bleed the system

Raise both front tires so there not touching the ground.
Check the PS fluid. Top off if needed.
Do not start the engine
Slowly turn the steering wheel lock to lock, after every 10 or so times check fluid and look for bubbles.
This could take as many as 50 times lock to lock or more.

This is per AGR and PSC instructions.

Bill
10-4, Bill. I have the instructions from the LAST time you gave them to me! The pump is hagning on by two bolts, and it is not lined up with the main pulley. The belt is "resting" on the PS pulley just to keep it from flopping while running the engine. We get SOME benefit from the pump, but it is not like it is GOING to be.

I just went out and adjusted the timing. It is running very well at 9 1/2*. Still has a flat spot on hard accel. What do ya'll recommend? Both idle mixture screws are responsive, and I get immediate results when turning them. They are even, about 3 turns out, and it purrs. Idles at 750. Idle adjustment screw is pretty much all the way out.

I have been battling *something* last night and today. Built a small deck and some steps for a friend yesterday, in the heat/sun all day, and I woke up with my eyes glued shut. Been on antihistamines since last night, and I feel like I'm in a fog! Going to bed in a minute.

Checked the roof in preparation for the storm, which is supposed to start tonight. Can't see anything evident that might leak. More than likely I will be bumped off during the storm. The Hughes Net satellite is a sorry system, but I can't expect it to function during a tropical depression! So if you don't hear from me, I'm sure we're alright. My phone minutes are pretty much done, but I still have text capabilities.

I'll try to check back later tonight.

God Bless... been a heck of a weekend!

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2012, 06:32 PM   #4052
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Great pictures!!! Reminds me that hard work does pay off.

Hope you all weather that storm in great shape. The don't have those in Montana .
img_1476_1.jpg   img_1478_1.jpg  

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2012, 06:50 PM   #4053
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr

I just went out and adjusted the timing. It is running very well at 9 1/2*. Still has a flat spot on hard accel. What do ya'll recommend? Both idle mixture screws are responsive, and I get immediate results when turning them. They are even, about 3 turns out, and it purrs. Idles at 750. Idle adjustment screw is pretty much all the way out.
I had the same issue with a "flat spot" off idle. I had the wrong carb gaskets. Are you running ported vac advance or manifold vac advance? Or no vac advance?

Good luck with the storm.
Dadamsnv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2012, 09:06 PM   #4054
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
Great pictures!!! Reminds me that hard work does pay off.

Hope you all weather that storm in great shape. The don't have those in Montana .
Yes, hard work DOES pay off. What a great smile! And I LIKE storms. I would miss them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadamsnv View Post
I had the same issue with a "flat spot" off idle. I had the wrong carb gaskets. Are you running ported vac advance or manifold vac advance? Or no vac advance?

Good luck with the storm.
Ported vac, but I didn't have it connected when setting the timing. I think I still have an intake leak somewhere, but, again, I can't find it. I'll get it drivable and take it to our mechanic, let him go over it and fix my mistakes.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Unread 08-26-2012, 09:07 PM   #4055
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Oh yeah... no rain or weather yet.

Unread 08-29-2012, 12:54 PM   #4056
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Jeepz ez dum! How cum I hev 3 uv thees stoopid carz?

Unread 08-29-2012, 01:08 PM   #4057
1983 CJ7 

Scott, I see you are not working on Clay's Jeep much, and to answer your PM about helping with the wiring harness...heck yeah, come on over and finish it up and put in the Jeep and I will fetch tools and such, heck, I will even puts some meat on the smoker and bring ya Shiner
Unread 08-29-2012, 01:11 PM   #4058
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

Skipper them aint 3 stoopid carz. Onemz gota flat spot soo alsuned to do is take a file o ha le flat spot an zhazam that flat spot ain there no mo.
Letme noo ifn I kin helpz Y-all wit te uder two
gmakra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2012, 01:42 PM   #4059
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
Scott, I see you are not working on Clay's Jeep much, and to answer your PM about helping with the wiring harness...heck yeah, come on over and finish it up and put in the Jeep and I will fetch tools and such, heck, I will even puts some meat on the smoker and bring ya Shiner
If you only knew how bad I need a couple of Shiners, and I ain't talking about the butt-whipping kind! We probably wouldn't get much done. Probably end up fishing!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmakra View Post
Skipper them aint 3 stoopid carz. Onemz gota flat spot soo alsuned to do is take a file o ha le flat spot an zhazam that flat spot ain there no mo.
Letme noo ifn I kin helpz Y-all wit te uder two
Yo iz wun krazee ol gote!!!!!!!!

Unread 08-29-2012, 02:08 PM   #4060
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Another Day in the Life of Kerrdog!

To begin with, we have had very little fallout from Isaac. Only a bit of rain that has made it humid beyond imagination here. Wish it would rain for real!

Montana has called and wants to set up a phone interview!!! YIKES! What do I do about this?

And the stuff I got done so far today...

As you know, Clay's stock power steering pump bracket would not allow the newer style exhaust manifold. The right side of the bracket hit the manifold so that it (bracket) could not be mounted. My '85 7 was sitting there with a curved bracket that DID allow the later model manifold (Thank You, Paul). HOWEVER, once I disassembled my pump bracket and installed it on Clay's pump, I discovered that the center section of the pump bracket also needed to be notched. YOU CAN'T TIGHTEN THE BELT OTHERWISE! So, this morning, I bit the bullet and just DID it! Here are the pics of the process for anyone scratching their head, wondering what to do, like I was. Now I have a bald spot.

I have already removed the steel bracket from the right side of the pump. It was hitting the manifold. You can see the two center pieces of the pump mount in the pic. I will have to remove the right half and modify it too.

For the life of me, I could NOT pull this return line off. I had to cut it. Have a cup handy. The line is crumbly and should be replaced. One of the FUTURE things to do.

Here I am removing the right half of the center mount. I had to bend out the pressure line a little to get it off.

Minus the entire right half of the mounting bracket.

Showing how long the nipple is for the return line.

I am holding my curved bracket against Clay's straight for reference, and I marked it with a piece of soapstone.

I will notch Clay's bracket along this line.

Chucked it in the vise and used my die-grinder.

Done.

I am showing the center portion of Clay's bracket against the bracket in my 7. Notice the notch in the corner. Without this notch, you cannot tighten the belt.

I used a tape to measure everything, and I transferred the lines to Clay's piece. Measure twice, cut once. Measure twice, cut once. Measure twice, cut once. Maybe I DID measure three times.

Tools used.

IT'S ALUMINUM!! No wonder my Jeep wheelies so easy! Cut slow, where a mask.

Installed.

A little closer view. It's hard to see, but the curved bracket now clears the manifold, and I am able to tighten the belt. SUCCESS!!

I painted the steel bracket, but I didn't paint the aluminum part. It should have soaked in some parts cleaner. It was caked with crud, but I just scraped off as much as I could. I am so OVER the "pretty" part of this build!

Unread 08-29-2012, 02:32 PM   #4061
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

Very nice work! I love me some good fabrication type mods

I bet it felt good to grind away on that frustrating little jerk bracket! At least it usually is for me.
Dadamsnv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2012, 02:39 PM   #4062
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

Nice! Did't I tell you to notch that bracket like 32 pages ago?
Unread 08-29-2012, 02:45 PM   #4063
1983 CJ7 

^^^ too freaking funny
Unread 08-29-2012, 03:20 PM   #4064
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

See Skipper I told ya all you need to do was file that flat spot out!
gmakra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2012, 03:35 PM   #4065
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadamsnv View Post
Very nice work! I love me some good fabrication type mods

I bet it felt good to grind away on that frustrating little jerk bracket! At least it usually is for me.
No, it would have felt good to THROW it into the yard! Of course, I would then have to go get it! It was SATISFYING to complete it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VACJ7 View Post
Nice! Did't I tell you to notch that bracket like 32 pages ago?
Yeah, well, it takes awhile for me to get motivated. And it's raining. And it's humid. And I got dirty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
^^^ too freaking funny
Oh hush up!

Just finished installing the alternator off my 7 into my son's Jeep. ANOTHER part robbed! Might as well part out my Jeep! Now he is showing 15 Volts on the mechanical gauge. The alternator doesn't heat up either. His original one was getting hot pretty quickly.

I have questions about smoothing the engine out. It starts right up with two pumps of the throttle (forgot to tell you I think I fixed my leaky bowl syndrome). Pump, pump, crank, VRROOOM! I mean RIGHT NOW! So I'm happy about that. It sounds like a little kitten, or sewing maching, whichever analogy you like best. It runs well. I had it timed, with vac advance disconnected, around 9/10. The mark bounces around so much I have to take an average. It had a BIG flat spot at the fuel shot. I connected the advance back up, and I still have that flat spot. I adjusted the timing a moment ago, and it does better around 6* (did this with the advance connected). I can still make it backfire through the carb, not bad, but it will do it when I goose it several times.

What is my timing supposed to be with TR? 10*?

My idle screw is backed out ALL THE WAY. It idles about 800. I can certainly change that with timing, but what it right? Intake leak????

Help me Obi-Wan... you're my only hope!

BTW- Once this is solved I can put me hood on!

Lastly, LOOK WHAT I GOT TODAY?? WHAT COULD BE IN IT? WHERE DID IT COME FROM?

The Brown Truck brought me a Green Box! With Rope! Clay's gonna LOVE the rope!!

Duh... forgot the piktoor!
100_4077_1.jpg  

Tags
1979 , cj5 , fiberglass , rollcage , tailgate

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.