Clay's Build Thread - Page 234 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Clay's Build Thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 07-09-2012, 09:32 AM   #3496
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

As promised here's your pictures.

image-704365429.jpg

Flat side towards the tub.

image-959773905.jpg

image-2961327445.jpg

About the Waggy with no top, tell Beth real women don't need no stinking tops.

Bill

1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2012, 09:36 AM   #3497
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmakra
Skipper you can catch those nasty lil elfs/gremlins that cut your bolts to short with no pest strips! But it sounds like you will need a lot since you probably have a colony of them.
Scott, you should see the size of the pest strips in Chicago. And I just happen to have a picture of one.

image-879500978.jpg

The tape measure is for size comparison.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
2005 TJ Rubicon.
Unread 07-09-2012, 11:39 AM   #3498
1983 CJ7 

I love my Stihl, it blows which is not the same as sucks!
Unread 07-09-2012, 11:58 AM   #3499
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucdog View Post

About the Waggy with no top, tell Beth real women don't need no stinking tops.

Bill
I'm NOT telling her that! You CRAZY!?!?

Quote:
Scott, you should see the size of the pest strips in Chicago. And I just happen to have a picture of one.

Attachment 429650

The tape measure is for size comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
As a single man you probably need that!

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2012, 12:25 PM   #3500
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
I had to look at the picture, i'm like Stihl doesn't make tape measures. Then I saw it in the shadow . Thats the baby one, we have more trees than grass so a BR400 back pack blower is a necessity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
I'm NOT telling her that! You CRAZY!?!?

Tell her George said it. Bill would NEVER say that, just do this

As a single man you probably need that!

Being single, he probably see's more action than you!

Your pal, Bill
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
Unread 07-09-2012, 04:38 PM   #3501
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

Bill Thanks a lot, I get in to enough trouble by just existing I dont need any help in that department!

And here old buddy your throwing me under the bus!
gmakra is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2012, 05:35 PM   #3502
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmakra View Post
Bill Thanks a lot, I get in to enough trouble by just existing I dont need any help in that department!

And here old buddy your throwing me under the bus!
Classic! I like that!
Unread 07-09-2012, 11:55 PM   #3503
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

I worked on the Jeep until nearly 4:00 yesterday morning. I just couldn't put it down! I pulled out the wiring harness, spread it across the floor, and started IDing some things, and that actually went better than I expected it to. Clay bought a box of goodies from a JFer, and he included his complete harness, and I do mean complete! Now, the PO harness is a totally different story! My PO apparently had some woodpile family members, and his previous Jeep work proves it. I CAN say this... it doesn't take a lot of wiring to make a Jeep run well! He proved that too!

So after coffee this morning, and a wake up text from Bill, I got busy... again. I'm really gonna hate going back to work on Wednesday, but I gotta do that work thing.

Pulled the master cylinder to extend the pushrod. Got it cut, threaded for a coupling nut, and it's good to go. LOTS of brake pedal. I pulled the PO bellcrank parts out of the box and began working on that. Marvelous imagination our PO has. I have to give him credit... he is probably kin to MacGyver! I made a tub mount for that end (whatever you call it- tub-mounted pivot?) and got it so the bellcrank is level, plumb, straight, good to go. Now it is closer to the tub than before, so we cut the clutch rod to shorten it. Clay measured twice and cut once (had to remove an inch and a quarter) so he could weld it to the correct length. he shold have measured three times!! As if I haven't been there. You know... it doesn't matter how many times you cut something when it is too short. It's STILL too short! So we threaded it and installed a coupling nut on it too! After Wifey ran errands for me! I didn't have the correct die for cutting threads. the clutch rod is too fat for my stuff, so I got out my BIG metric set and cut the rod down using consistently smaller metric dies. Once it was the proper diameter we were able to get a 1/2" SAE die on it. Not the BEST thread job I've ever done, but it will work. Once it was all assembled on the frame/tub we connected the pedal and it pretty much sank to the floor! Whoa. Then I discovered the rod was worn terribly at each 90. So Clay will weld that up and grind it down again. However, just working the whole assembly by hand I can see a LOT of play in the entire bellcrank mechanism. The bellcrank arm is fine. the two pivot ends are worn. I think the bushings are gone?? Without replacing everything, what parts can I/should I replace to get it tightened up? The whole kit is a little over $100. Clay is getting to the point that he wants to stop spending money with no return! I can understand that!! I priced the parts I think I need on Morris, Qtec, and 4wd. 4wd was cheapest, but they don't show the pivot that mounts on the bellhousing.

Sorry for the ultra-long post. Here is a short post for Bill, who has trouble remembering things. The rest of you ignore it. Ready Bill? Pay attention. Read slow...

There once was a boy named Tony. He wanted a pony. He said, "Dad, can I have a pony?" And his dad said, "No, Tony, you may not have a pony!"

The boy doesn't get the pony, Bill. It's a long book so I thought I would tell you how it ends!

Here's a pic of MoC's dash and where we are with it right now. Got it boogered up some working on it. I'm looking for a trim ring to go around the speedo bezel as the hole has some gaps showing. Any ideas?
img_1167_1.jpg   img_1169_1.jpg   img_1172_1.jpg  

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Unread 07-10-2012, 04:11 AM   #3504
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

Skipper I have done some calculations (again) and I dont think its all the POs fault. According to my calcs its the CO and him putting his nasty Swannee Swamp feet up on the front crossmember of the Minnow. This is a sign of disrespect in most areas of the world!

Also that Swannee toe jam is some potent stuff it has the ability to disinigrate copper (which is why the harness looks like its missing some stuff) It will also shrink steel, so thats why the bolts are too short.

Luckily any assembled items will shrink at the same rate so you should be good.
gmakra is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2012, 04:40 AM   #3505
Gido
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr
I worked on the Jeep until nearly 4:00 yesterday morning. I just couldn't put it down!
How in the world did u get out of bed after holding the jeep UP all night. All those tools you have been sending mrs Kerr after, y don't you see if she can get you some jack stands so all you have to do is pick it up and set it back down? Hahahaa

in memory of Jimmy Smith - a wise man
Gido is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2012, 08:28 AM   #3506
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Did you put the clutch pedal return spring underneath the dash. Don't forget the spring that goes between the bell crank and the clutch arm.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
Unread 07-10-2012, 08:33 AM   #3507
MoC
1986 CJ7 

The dash looks great!! Y'all are making great progress and should feel really good about what u have gotten done.
Unread 07-10-2012, 09:05 AM   #3508
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmakra View Post
Skipper I have done some calculations (again) and I dont think its all the POs fault. According to my calcs its the CO and him putting his nasty Swannee Swamp feet up on the front crossmember of the Minnow. This is a sign of disrespect in most areas of the world!

Also that Swannee toe jam is some potent stuff it has the ability to disinigrate copper (which is why the harness looks like its missing some stuff) It will also shrink steel, so thats why the bolts are too short.

Luckily any assembled items will shrink at the same rate so you should be good.
Yu gots to r'membr... doun thisa way weez slepes wid ar jepes. weez prity klose, an towjam aint no prob'm. Weez eets it ever morning... Yu wont mabee I shood sent yu a jar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gido View Post
How in the world did u get out of bed after holding the jeep UP all night. All those tools you have been sending mrs Kerr after, y don't you see if she can get you some jack stands so all you have to do is pick it up and set it back down? Hahahaa
Oh ha ha! Just because I can hold my Jeep, and you can't! When you actually gonna come over this way? I'll show you what I know. Watch closely.

Quote:
Did you put the clutch pedal return spring underneath the dash. Don't forget the spring that goes between the bell crank and the clutch arm.
No springs under dash yet. I have some springs... don't know if they are correct. Can't figure out where they go, because when I install them the pedals do not return to the top. My 7 is different. Yes, bellcrank has the spring in place. I can see no better place than where the PO has it installed, but I would not call it correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoC View Post
The dash looks great!! Y'all are making great progress and should feel really good about what u have gotten done.
Did you notice your tweeter hole!? It's got a tach in it!!

Thanks MoCarooni.

Unread 07-10-2012, 09:07 AM   #3509
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
Did you notice your tweeter hole!? It's got a tach in it!!

Thanks MoCarooni.
I saw that and it worked out great. Nice how the bump out covered the other one as well!
Unread 07-10-2012, 09:12 AM   #3510
Gido
1980 CJ7 

I was actually thinking of a visit. I will be off next Monday and little man will be at daycare so, I might be able to swing it. Will let you know when it gets closer. I love that pop out on the dash. That's sweet! Coming along nicely! Put on the sunglasses the lights getting brighter!

in memory of Jimmy Smith - a wise man
Gido is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
1979 , cj5 , fiberglass , rollcage , tailgate

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.