Clay's Build Thread - Page 232 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Clay's Build Thread

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 07-07-2012, 08:25 PM   #3466
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
Sounds like you need to have another youth group meeting tomorrow (to remove the cage). That is odd that it isn't sitting flush. Looking great, though! That's a serious setup!

Btw, had to laugh at the first pic. You have this look of "boys, if one of ya scratch that paint........."
TRUTH! I said something like that. It would be helpful if I did have some extra hands tomorrow, because it is jammed in there. Guess I'll have to use my G.I Joe King Fu Grip!

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2012, 08:44 PM   #3467
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

Cage looks good Scott. Wonder what these two holes in the dash were for? PO installed gauges or tweeters?
img_1134_1.jpg  
Unread 07-07-2012, 08:47 PM   #3468
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VACJ7
Cage looks good Scott. Wonder what these two holes in the dash were for? PO installed gauges or tweeters?
They were tweeters P. The po of that dash also lowered the volt and oil gauge a half inch as well. Was done nicely, you could only tell by looking at the backside.
Unread 07-07-2012, 08:50 PM   #3469
1983 CJ7 

I went back to look at the old photos to refresh my memory, Team Kerr, you guy's did a LOT of work and it really, really shows!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
C

Clay washing the hood.

Sanding the underside with 60 grit.

A wee bit of a scrub bruch. I have a nice, big carwash brush. But, BEHOLD, I have an 18 YO with his own truck! Where is my carwash brush??

Clay removes the screws from his fender mold. How does he sit like that?

Preps for last layer of glass.

Checks his fit.

Applies the resin.

Done! Let it dry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
This is the beginning of the tub mock up. This step brings a lot of excitement. Just the grill makes a frame look good!

New pucks. Urethane bushings... stock height.

Tub is set on the frame. It is very temporary.

Clay notching the fenders to fit over the shock towers. Thanks to all who responded on my separate thread. I had a hard time coming to grips with cutting what we had rebuilt!

They fit!

Going to have to notch the transmission well... or whatever you call it. The hole! PO had this thing so jimmied on the frame. We had to remove about an inch and a half so we could slide it back to fit the fenders.

Pucks don't touch! Going to have to build some pads/mounts.

There is something about the front end of a '79 CJ5 that is so tough! I love the front of this Jeep.

Fitment issues. Using the same holes that the PO drilled. I'm thinking that we may be able to elongate the holes to get the correct fit. Other side is the same. What do ya'll think?

It's almost like the hood is too wide!? Crap! How we gonna fix dat?

Back edge of the hood is not straight. This causes the hood to go to one side. Gonna have to fix dat too!

Need to trim off the bottom edge of the tub.

PO holes to fix.

PO gas door!! GAWD!

PO tailgate reinforcement! For PO homemade tailgate.

Compared to my 7. I like this look better!

Unread 07-07-2012, 09:09 PM   #3470
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

I am touched Dave. Thank You! Hard to see the keyboard.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Unread 07-07-2012, 09:29 PM   #3471
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Absolutely great post Dave.
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2012, 10:12 PM   #3472
pman
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Incredible..... Very, very nice work, Scott! And a GREAT recap, Dave. Thanks for sharing.
82 CJ8 Scrambler 258-t5-Dana 300
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj...-lulu-1350563/
pman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2012, 12:17 AM   #3473
cjdogtoy
1976 CJ5 

OK guys, what did I miss and how many pages back do I need to start to catch up (30,40) just wanted to say hello before I started reading for a week.
Unread 07-08-2012, 08:47 AM   #3474
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Hi Mr. Dog.

Unread 07-08-2012, 10:00 AM   #3475
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

Why have you had multiple avitars of your feet up? Quit putting them up and finish that CJ!
Unread 07-08-2012, 10:47 AM   #3476
FLynes
Web Wheeler

1976 CJ5 

Scott, you guys are kickin' butt on this, but I have one question for you.....

What's that green stuff you guys are standing on outside? We don't have that stuff here.

High Plains Drifter
1976 CJ-5
Lime Green
Black Wellington Vinyl Bench Seats
258 I-6 1bbl
T-150 3-Speed
3.54:1 Open Gears

Grammar Test
FLynes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2012, 11:31 AM   #3477
SonicR1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

DOG!!! WElcome back!!!

Scott, that 5 looks great!!!! It makes me miss mine… I love the TJ, but there is just something about a CJ5!!!

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/sonics-05-tj-build-1168663/#post10985489"][COLOR="yellow"]The TJ[/COLOR][/URL]
2005 Wrangler X 4.0/6 speed, Dana 30/Ford 8.8--4.88--Eaton E-Lockers, 35" MT/R, Smittybilt bumpers/rockers/winch, SonicFab tire carrier, RE 3.5 springs, Zone 1.25 BL, FullTraction 3 link upper rear, RE super flex lower rears, UCF ultra high skid and lo/pro mount, brown dog mml.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sonics-74-cj5-build-1106795/"][COLOR="DarkOrange"]1974 CJ5 BUILD THREAD[/COLOR][/URL]
SonicR1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2012, 01:43 PM   #3478
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Wow! Well would you look at that. I leave for a week of vacation and you guys got a ton of work done. Maybe you should send me on vacation more often.

The tan and black looks great and that roll cage is a Hoss! Great work guys. So nice to see it all coming together.
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2012, 01:59 PM   #3479
cjdogtoy
1976 CJ5 

So, it took me 6 hours to get all caught up, it was closer to 50 pages and I've missed way to much to comment on every thing so I'll just say you've done a great job and congrats to you and your family on all your accomplishments.
Unread 07-08-2012, 07:16 PM   #3480
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VACJ7 View Post
Why have you had multiple avitars of your feet up? Quit putting them up and finish that CJ!
I was ...uh... ruminating. Yeah, ruminating!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLynes View Post
Scott, you guys are kickin' butt on this, but I have one question for you.....

What's that green stuff you guys are standing on outside? We don't have that stuff here.
I am GETTING a butt kicking! Not sure that I'm giving any! Tired...

The grass has been growing like gang-busters and needs cutting every four days. Which we don't do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicR1 View Post
DOG!!! WElcome back!!!

Scott, that 5 looks great!!!! It makes me miss mine… I love the TJ, but there is just something about a CJ5!!!
Hey Bill. Thanks for stopping by. Your avatar looks awfully good. Maybe you should go back and buy it soon as the new OP finishes it! I'm glad you're enjoying the TJ. I like them too, and you are driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiz View Post
Wow! Well would you look at that. I leave for a week of vacation and you guys got a ton of work done. Maybe you should send me on vacation more often.

The tan and black looks great and that roll cage is a Hoss! Great work guys. So nice to see it all coming together.
I will send you on vacation only if I can go WITH! Thanks for the compliments Mike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdogtoy View Post
So, it took me 6 hours to get all caught up, it was closer to 50 pages and I've missed way to much to comment on every thing so I'll just say you've done a great job and congrats to you and your family on all your accomplishments.
You're crazy! I can't believe you read all that! But I'm glad to have you on board!

Putting things back together. Installed pedal assembly, dropped it from the firewall to the tub floor first... had to ding the glass and paint. Couldn't leave it looking pristine. Then installed the dash (mocked up), and scratched the door sills, cage, and cowl to pieces. Didn't want the floor to be alone. Then bolted down the cage, but now the bolts aren't long enough (????????). I think someone snuck inside my shop and cut the bolts short. Must be what happened, no other reason for it. The cage is wracked and 2 mounts/bolts don't line up, and it doesn't sit flat anymore. I think whoever snuck inside my shop ran over the cage to be ugly. HAS to be what happened. I was looking at the mis-fitting cage and I said, "Would you look at that?" Really... I said that. "Just look at it", I said. Clay looked sleepy. Clay got his steering shaft apart and primed, also worked on his battery box. I have the steering gearbox installed and plumbed, master cylinder installed and plumbed (forgot to bench bleed!), threw my sunglasses at the yard, but nothing happened to them, so I went out and got them and threw them at random things inside the shop until they came apart. That made me feel... somewhat... better. It's hot outside. MoC's dash is textured and painted, and now sitting in the house awaiting gauge install. Dang... acme out good. I was cleaning up one of the two speedos I have, wirewheeling the rust. Disassembled completely. The chrome housing ring caught the edge of the bench grinder/wire wheel and the wheel pulled it out of my hands and jammed it into the wheel housing, slightly altering the shape so it more closely resembles an egg. I couldn't throw the grinder, so I threw the ring. It was already messed up. Then I went and got it and straightened it out. Put it back together and put it on the shelf. It can stay there. Stoopid speedo. Gotta go eat now.

Tags
1979 , cj5 , fiberglass , rollcage , tailgate

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.