Clay's Build Thread - Page 231 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Clay's Build Thread

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 07-06-2012, 08:06 PM   #3451
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Clay and I have been working like a couple of pigs all day. Lots of little things done on his rig. With Doctor Bill's help, we performed surgery on the dizzy. I have never touched one in my life! I have always known if you mess with the dizzy your engine may not run again, so I didn't mess with it when we pulled, cleaned, painted Clay's engine. But with Dr. Phil...er...BILL, sitting "close" I pulled the dizzy, prelubed the engine, completed the Team Rush upgrade, and reinstaled the dang thing. Piece. Of. Cake! But will it run?

Things I learned...

TDC can be on exhaust or compression stroke. BE SURE you are on the compression stroke. My distributor was 180* out at TDC. See pic 1 and 2.

Prelubing your engine is easy and cool! We changed the oil and pumped it up to 70 PSI, but held it at 50 PSI to lube everything. I modified a large screwdriver and used my 1/2" drill.

The clerk at your local parts store will try to give you parts specific to your year model, despite the fact you are giving him/her part numbers. Nice of them to think they are providing what you need, but it cost me extra trips to town.

The middle two pics are just cruddy pics. The old cap was tossed. The dizzy was cleaned up.

The last two pics are what I thought is a coil. According to the Team Rush upgrade I need this part, but I can't see how/where it fits in my application. I thought it replaced the part circled in the dizzy pic, but it doesn't. Is this part not needed, or am I missing something?

Thanks.

img_1116_1.jpg   img_1117_1.jpg   img_1118_1.jpg   img_1119_1.jpg   img_1123_1.jpg  

img_1124_1.jpg  

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2012, 08:34 PM   #3452
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchJPR View Post
Nicely done!

Why don't you get one off those angled PCV's, then you tubing is long enough, and it looks way better.
Got it Dutch. Thanks.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Unread 07-06-2012, 08:44 PM   #3453
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

You better clean the dust off that ole thing Scott, it'll be easier to move around.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2012, 08:54 PM   #3454
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
You better clean the dust off that ole thing Scott, it'll be easier to move around.
Boy don'tcha know! More truth than fiction in that statement Jim.

Unread 07-06-2012, 09:31 PM   #3455
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

Scott, tha last pic is the connector to your coil. Slides over the brass terminals on the can-style coil. You can see one of the posts in the first pic.
Unread 07-06-2012, 09:36 PM   #3456
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Thank you Paul. I will solve that mystery tomorrow.

Unread 07-06-2012, 09:40 PM   #3457
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

Excellent! I on the other hand don't plan on doing squat tomorrow. 107* in the forecast!
Unread 07-06-2012, 09:47 PM   #3458
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Paul is correct, if you look at the pictures of your wire harness you can see the same part. If the old one looks ok, return the new one. Check the one on your 7.

Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2012, 10:10 PM   #3459
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucdog View Post
Paul is correct, if you look at the pictures of your wire harness you can see the same part. If the old one looks ok, return the new one. Check the one on your 7.

Bill
Ah yes... the harness has one. I will check it out tomorrow. My 7 doesn't have one. I may save it for it. Thanks Doc Bill!

edit* BOINK!! My 7 does too have one. Thanks AGAIN Doc Bill.

Unread 07-07-2012, 04:46 PM   #3460
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

MoC mailed me a dash (FREE) a couple weeks ago. And it hasn't arrived. I know it's coming, but I am getting concerned. I can't install the cage until the dash is in, and I have the wiring to do too. So, with a slight amount of panic, and no small dash of worry, I began to reclaim Clay's dash. he warped it pretty bad welding on it, and my '70s era JBL speaker fell from its perch right on top of the dash, as it sat suspended across the double sink in my shop. So it was bent. I had a lot of work to do. Heating, shrinking, bending, shaping, hammer/dolly (and I don't own a hammer and dolly!), grinding, sanding, smoothing, welding, more grinding, wire-wheeling... etc! I cleaned it with Prep All, sprayed it with trunk paint to provide texture (to hide the imperfections), ran out of trunk paint at the exactly correct moment, while sweat streamed down my face, shirt clinging to me like a contest, and the mail lady pulled into my yard. Yep. You guessed it. The dash arrived!! It is a perfect dash. Thank you MoC. You are a blessing. I will paint it up and get it ready.
img_1134_1.jpg  

Unread 07-07-2012, 05:30 PM   #3461
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Clearcoat it, I like the sandblast look. MoC is the man!!

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2012, 08:05 PM   #3462
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

The white dash is the one that MoC sent. It is perfect and flat. I can't believe it showed up when I finished working on Clay's ratty dash. I guess that will teach me to be a little more patient.

I will work on MoC's dash tomorrow and maybe I can get it painted. We installed the cage (on my command!) because I think I can get the dash installed after the cage, only to find out I am WRONG, and now I have to remove the cage, which is crammed in place! How do you guys do this patience thing? I am ready to work.

UGH!

Here's pics of the cage in place. At least I got that! It doesn't sit flat, and it is torqued somehow. No idea how that happened since it was built in place.

Had a youth group over this evening. Why you reckon all the young ladies end up sitting at the kitchen table, and all the young men end up outside at the Jeep!? They helped Clay get his cage installed.
img_1139_1.jpg   img_1158_1.jpg   img_1160_1.jpg  

Unread 07-07-2012, 08:15 PM   #3463
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Looks great Scott! So glad I was able to help you and Clay out with the dash.
Unread 07-07-2012, 08:19 PM   #3464
pman
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like you need to have another youth group meeting tomorrow (to remove the cage). That is odd that it isn't sitting flush. Looking great, though! That's a serious setup!

Btw, had to laugh at the first pic. You have this look of "boys, if one of ya scratch that paint........."
82 CJ8 Scrambler 258-t5-Dana 300
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj...-lulu-1350563/
pman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2012, 08:22 PM   #3465
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoC View Post
Looks great Scott! So glad I was able to help you and Clay out with the dash.
When you said it needed work I was expecting something rough. It is nearly perfect! All I have to do is scuff it and paint it. I will transfer Clay's little kicker panel over to it and paint it up. MUCH APPRECIATED MoC.

Tags
1979 , cj5 , fiberglass , rollcage , tailgate

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.