Clay's Build Thread - Page 23 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Clay's Build Thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 08-28-2010, 03:16 PM   #331
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
... By the way, it's in some the best deer hunting country is Missouri, thought that would be of special interest to you.
It certainly is! How much is land up there? Any acreage??

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2010, 04:55 PM   #332
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
It certainly is! How much is land up there? Any acreage??
It's some of the more resonably priced in the state. The land east of there will get high, ie river bottom farm ground, and west of there I think it gets a bit cheaper. The general vicinity of it is rolling pasture and farm land. Some of the ground gets pretty rough too and it's only suitable for livestock grazing. What it doesn't have is the tourist attraction that the Ozark area and Branson has. They are pretty pricy. I haven't heard lately but in the past that part of the state was one of the few places land was still selling in the $1000.00 an acre range. Who knows Scott with a depressed economy there may be some bargains. Let me do some snoopin next week.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2010, 05:42 PM   #333
FamillyCJ7
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
It's some of the more resonably priced in the state. The land east of there will get high, ie river bottom farm ground, and west of there I think it gets a bit cheaper. The general vicinity of it is rolling pasture and farm land. Some of the ground gets pretty rough too and it's only suitable for livestock grazing. What it doesn't have is the tourist attraction that the Ozark area and Branson has. They are pretty pricy. I haven't heard lately but in the past that part of the state was one of the few places land was still selling in the $1000.00 an acre range. Who knows Scott with a depressed economy there may be some bargains. Let me do some snoopin next week.
I got some land in Missouri... $1000 an acre haha. Try $10,000+ an acre here!
Unread 08-28-2010, 10:35 PM   #334
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Thanks, Jim. Find me 80-100 acres with woods and hunting. Better find me a job too!

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Unread 08-28-2010, 10:41 PM   #335
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

SCORED!

Just bought a complete Bestop Supertop with doors and all hardware including frame (no holes or tears, windows clear), complete heater box assy (needs work), speedo, wiring harness, spring plates (Clay's spring plates have issues), bags of nuts, bolts, etc from a very nice guy up in Ohio. Thanks "Ohio Mike" for working so hard to get this stuff to me, and Thanks to my BIL, who went out of his way to secure it for me. Clay is like, "Ho Hum", and I'm about to BUST! Should have it here in FL by Thanksgiving when the family gets together.

Unread 08-29-2010, 01:41 PM   #336
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Good news. Maybe Clay didn't get the excited Jeep parts thing in his genes from you Scott. My wife doesn't get too excited about things like Jeep parts either. Oh she tried to act that way, just being a good wife, But I can tell that she just doesn't lay in bed at night thinking about Jeep rides, having that big buck tied to the front bumper or any of the things that we all think of. They juat aren't as blessed as we are.

80-100 acres and hunting and a job. Hey I am on the lookout. You bet if I see anything you'll be getting contacted!! Trust me you will.

My build thread

Last edited by Jim1611; 08-29-2010 at 08:52 PM..
Unread 08-29-2010, 08:50 PM   #337
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
SCORED!

Just bought a complete Bestop Supertop with doors and all hardware including frame (no holes or tears, windows clear), complete heater box assy (needs work), speedo, wiring harness, spring plates (Clay's spring plates have issues), bags of nuts, bolts, etc from a very nice guy up in Ohio. Thanks "Ohio Mike" for working so hard to get this stuff to me, and Thanks to my BIL, who went out of his way to secure it for me. Clay is like, "Ho Hum", and I'm about to BUST! Should have it here in FL by Thanksgiving when the family gets together.

Sounds like a great haul
Unread 08-29-2010, 10:13 PM   #338
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Today was a mixed day! I wasn't feeling good and I laid out of church. I pretty much laid around the house, too, but a friend of mine needed some help with a tractor, so he called me, and of course, I went. It's an old International and it's covered in gear oil... I wasn't planning on getting dirty. Didn't DRESS for it! But I got dirty. We also fixed his tractor. In exchange for help he let me pilfer his scrap metal pile. Now I had TRIED to build a torque arm out of a couple lawn mower blades on Saturday... but that didn't work. The steel is too hard and I couldn't drill it... burned up a couple of drill bits! So I had definite ideas about what I wanted to find in his scrap pile. I found some 3/8 stock that I thought would work great. He also loaned me a 7/8" drill bit. So I thought I would do a thread on building and setting up a torque arm. I was feeling better by now and I couldn't wait to get home. Things started out alright but quickly bombed! I burnt up a couple MORE drill bits and never DID get holes through the steel. About that time AJ shows up to check on our progress... he likes what he sees, but he can't stand the terrible screeching coming from the drill press! So he gets me lined out correctly, AFTER he sharpened/conditioned the damged drill bits and after he replaced the belt on my drill press. AJ made 5 trips to his house to get me things, like the belt, some bolts, and oh yeah... a piece of steel. Seems the piece I had gotten was hardened. Well, you can't tell by looking at it! At least I can't!! AJ spent a great deal of time with me this afternoon helping set up the torque arm. It's clear now that even had I managed to get the holes in MY piece of steel, I would have messed it up, because I did not think to bolt the tranny in place before I measured for the bushing. Fortunately, AJ rescued me from an otherwise counter-productive day. So here are some pics of our progress. BTW- I bagged the torque arm build idea!
img_3398_1.jpg   img_3400_1.jpg   img_3399_1.jpg   img_3403_1.jpg   img_3407_1.jpg  

Last edited by Skerr; 08-29-2010 at 10:16 PM.. Reason: grammar
Unread 08-29-2010, 10:26 PM   #339
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Clay is active in church so he was gone for half the day, and he is also taking college courses, so he had homework. He did mange to get out of the house for a bit and coated his steering box with rust converter. He primed it and plans to paint it silver. He thinks it will be a nice contrast to the black frame! We'll see...

I set the original driveshaft in place just to see what it would look like. This is the driveshaft that came on the Jeep. The angle is outrageous! Since we removed the PO's original home-made lift I didn't think I would have DS issues. I set my 7 up with a 2.5" lift and liked it well enough to put the same lift on Clay's Jeep. I didn't have to make any mods to my 7 at all. I was expecting the same thing on Clay's 5. Obvously that is not the case. I suppose it's because of the shorter wheel base?? What are ya'll's suggestions? Angle the pinion up? Drop the tranny? Both??
img_3402_1.jpg   img_3410_1.jpg  

Unread 08-30-2010, 07:45 AM   #340
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Hey Scott if you move away from there you're going to miss AJ, he sounds like a great friend and neighbor! That looks like a torgue arm anybody would be proud to have. If you ever need to drill a hole in hardened material, you can tell if it's hardened by trying to cut it on the edge with a file. A file will not touch anything about about 50 rockwell and anything above 40 rockwell is going to be tough to drill with high speed bits. Anyway you can drill through the hard stuff with carbide tipped masonary bits. Just make sure and have everything clamped good and tight and that when the drill breaks through the back side you let it cut through smooth. Carbide will hold up pretty good but what your drilling needs to stay put.

Scott if you shim the rear pinion to help with the driveshaft angle you need to keep it and the yoke angle on the transfer case as close to the same angle as you can, that's supposed to work best with the single u-joint set-up. You may need a duoble cardan u-joint back there. With them the angle needs to be offset about 2 degree. Any measuring you do on angles though needs to wait til after the Jeep is pretty well assembled. You may find by then that driveshaft angle isn't as bad as it is now.

Glad you're feeling better too!!

My build thread
Unread 08-30-2010, 08:31 PM   #341
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Hey Scott if you move away from there you're going to miss AJ, he sounds like a great friend and neighbor! That looks like a torgue arm anybody would be proud to have. If you ever need to drill a hole in hardened material, you can tell if it's hardened by trying to cut it on the edge with a file. A file will not touch anything about about 50 rockwell and anything above 40 rockwell is going to be tough to drill with high speed bits. Anyway you can drill through the hard stuff with carbide tipped masonary bits. Just make sure and have everything clamped good and tight and that when the drill breaks through the back side you let it cut through smooth. Carbide will hold up pretty good but what your drilling needs to stay put.

Scott if you shim the rear pinion to help with the driveshaft angle you need to keep it and the yoke angle on the transfer case as close to the same angle as you can, that's supposed to work best with the single u-joint set-up. You may need a duoble cardan u-joint back there. With them the angle needs to be offset about 2 degree. Any measuring you do on angles though needs to wait til after the Jeep is pretty well assembled. You may find by then that driveshaft angle isn't as bad as it is now.

Thanks, Jim. Yeah... AJ has been a very good friend. Thanks for the info on cutting/drilling hardened steel. I didn't have a masonry bit that size.

I have a double-cardan DS for Clay's Jeep. I bought it many months ago and set it on the shelf. It seems to me now, after mocking up the DC DS, that it, too, will be too long! I won't worry about it for now, as you suggest. Just wanted to get it done. I think we'll concentrate on brakes. I gotta try and remember how the front discs go back to gether. I took the CJ5 discs and knuckles from the NT axle and installed them on the WT axle. I'm not sure I have everything. Gonna have to sit down with Mr. Chilton!

Unread 08-30-2010, 11:53 PM   #342
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Quote:

I think we'll concentrate on brakes. I gotta try and remember how the front discs go back to gether. I took the CJ5 discs and knuckles from the NT axle and installed them on the WT axle. I'm not sure I have everything. Gonna have to sit down with Mr. Chilton!
Hey, Scott...here's a thread that I posted a while back. It has some pretty good photos of the knuckles and brake components. Maybe they'll be of some help to you. Just remember, though, that my axle is in the vise backward (pumpkin offset to the opposite side), so the calipers appear upside down!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/on...a-30-a-913012/

Rich

There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
rixcj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2010, 09:22 AM   #343
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:

Thanks, Jim... I will drop the tranny some and rotate the pinion some, see what happens. I have some shims around here somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rixcj View Post
Hey, Scott...here's a thread that I posted a while back. It has some pretty good photos of the knuckles and brake components. Maybe they'll be of some help to you. Just remember, though, that my axle is in the vise backward (pumpkin offset to the opposite side), so the calipers appear upside down!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/on...a-30-a-913012/

Rich
Beautiful work, Rich. You are an artist! The pics do help... I discovered that I have Scout calipers, and I thought they were my CJ5 calipers. I couldn't make 'em go on for nothin'! (The Scout parts (the very few there are) came with the WT axle when I bought it. If anyone wants to see pics of what I have, let me know.)

I got it figured out. Clay cleaned up the hubs, etc, rust converted everything, and painted. Should have the front wheels back on by late afternoon. In the meantime, here are a couple of pics of Clay.

I hope everyone stays safe this weekend. Have a designated driver. Have a great Labor Day weekend. Time for some ribs on the grill!
img_3411_1.jpg   img_3412_1.jpg  

Unread 09-05-2010, 05:46 PM   #344
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Glad to see you guys back at it!! Enjoy the ribs too.

My build thread
Unread 09-05-2010, 06:22 PM   #345
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Glad to see you guys back at it!! Enjoy the ribs too.
Ugh! I don't think I EVER want to see anything made of Pork again!

We (I) had to take a Jeep break! But we're plinking away at some of the small stuff. Gotta cut off the factory shock mounts yet. Clay says we have to drop the axle to do it, but I'm not looking to do that (I don't WANT to do that) again. Trying to get the brake lines reconnected, which is proving to be more aggravating than I expected. And the Gnats are worse than I have seen in several years... you don't even want to go outside.

It could be worse....

Here is a pic of Clay's hub/brake setup. It looks alright. There isn't much to see once the wheel is back on.

Also, a pic of the Scout brake parts. PM me if anyone needs them.
img_3414_1.jpg   img_3415_1.jpg  

Tags
1979 , cj5 , fiberglass , rollcage , tailgate

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.