Clay's Build Thread - Page 227 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Clay's Build Thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 07-01-2012, 12:53 AM   #3391
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
Nope guys Beth is a saint, she will not hurt Scott for using the strainer. She'll make him a kings breakfast and love him all the same. Remember he's poetic, that's why he can get away with this.

Glad you got the blaster working Scott. Straining the sand is allot easier fix than having to deal with lumps in it if it's not dry. So you like the pressure pot now huh?
Yes, worked perfectly. My compressor struggles with it though. Mine is the 60 gallon CH brand, and it never turned off while I was blasting. Got awfully hot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucdog View Post
I'm seeing a light
That's the Cops and a flashlight! Too much Rum IV!!! Better stick to RBFs...

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2012, 07:23 PM   #3392
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Here are some pics of where I am...

Found these holes when I sandblasted this time. I don't remember them when I sandblasted last time! Clay welded them all closed. he did a great job.

After welding, skimmed with glaze. I have done this twice now. The finish isn't as good as I did the first time, but this time it should stick! Paint tomorrow...

Grounding buss I took out of an old breaker panel. It is a big one so I cut it in two pieces. A short piece for the back end, and a long piece for the front. I am cleaning it up.

This is a tool that you should have in your box. This is an impact driver. A MUST have tool for stuck screws.

Ground buss for back of Jeep. This will catch all the rear lighting, gas tank, etc. The large lug will be for the main ground. It will go to the front.

Wiring for fuel sender. I am going to be one of those POs that wires everything with the same color wire!! I don't plan to sell, so it shouldn't be a problem. Tank is repainted, wiring has dielectric grease and heat shrink.

Why do people drive their cars through deep water??? Some folks ain't got no sense!

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Unread 07-01-2012, 07:36 PM   #3393
1983 CJ7 

The ground buss is a great idea Scott.

I have one of those hammer powered impacts, the work great in many situations.
Unread 07-01-2012, 07:39 PM   #3394
pman
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Lookin' good, Scott. Nice wiring job, too! It always pays to do it right!
82 CJ8 Scrambler 258-t5-Dana 300
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj...-lulu-1350563/
pman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2012, 07:41 PM   #3395
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
I am going to be one of those POs that wires everything with the same color wire!! I don't plan to sell, so it shouldn't be a problem.
You sure you thought this one through Scott? Any troubleshooting down the road you will be mad at yourself when you are trying to trace wires. Actually, Clay will be mad at you.
Unread 07-01-2012, 07:47 PM   #3396
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VACJ7 View Post
You sure you thought this one through Scott? Any troubleshooting down the road you will be mad at yourself when you are trying to trace wires. Actually, Clay will be mad at you.
hee hee hee... Daddy's revenge! I'm using colored tape at the ends to ID each wire.

Unread 07-02-2012, 05:17 AM   #3397
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

Skipper I knowed use wuz well grounded now this just reinforces that idea!

Been busy since we got back from seeing you! Work has been a overload they transfered a guy out and now want me to do his job along with mine with no cut in service and no extra time. Gotta love the corporate think! Plus the Gator had major storm damage this weekend lots of down trees and two badly wrecked cars from limbs.

Also she wanted to paint the house and "repair a little damaged siding" I kept my mouth shut since I knew it was going to turn into a Major project. So guess who's re-framing the south side of a two story house? She had four nest's of carpenter ants these colonies were so big they had freeways city halls and they had converted Roach Motel into a luxury spa/ retreat!

Good news is that I have enough lumber that I can make a JK swing which will be more high falutin than your CJ swing since it has an electric poodle heater and cappuccino maker.

My CJ is crying out for attention and I feel bad.
gmakra is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2012, 07:34 AM   #3398
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmakra View Post
Skipper I knowed use wuz well grounded now this just reinforces that idea!

Been busy since we got back from seeing you! Work has been a overload they transfered a guy out and now want me to do his job along with mine with no cut in service and no extra time. Gotta love the corporate think! Plus the Gator had major storm damage this weekend lots of down trees and two badly wrecked cars from limbs.

Also she wanted to paint the house and "repair a little damaged siding" I kept my mouth shut since I knew it was going to turn into a Major project. So guess who's re-framing the south side of a two story house? She had four nest's of carpenter ants these colonies were so big they had freeways city halls and they had converted Roach Motel into a luxury spa/ retreat!

Good news is that I have enough lumber that I can make a JK swing which will be more high falutin than your CJ swing since it has an electric poodle heater and cappuccino maker.

My CJ is crying out for attention and I feel bad.
Been wondering where you wuz! Glad to hear you are still in the land of the living! Food for thought... that guy could never have transfered, and your company could not continue in a profitable manner, except that you are there, in your position, ready to shoulder the load. Always seems burdensome when an employer gives you extra work, but to me, it's a blessing. God put the Best Man in place for a reason... that's YOU!

The house repairs should be a snap with your background! You have the benefit of a couple pair of young, strong legs?? meh... youth... it's over-rated!! Go get 'em... Gatorbait! HEY! A NEW NAME FOR YOU!! I like it...

Unread 07-02-2012, 07:42 AM   #3399
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Nice idea on the grounding bar Scott. Something you could do to make it even better is to use a rubber gasket bewteen it and the frame. Anytime steel and aluminum contact each other corrosion starts between them, it's a chemical reaction, and that will migrate over the buss bar in time causing your grounds to be less affective or even quit working. Do the same with the bolts that hold it to the frame too, make washers out of hard plastic or rubber to eliminate the metal to aluminum contact. Folks with aluminum tubs face this issue all the time and that's what they do to curb the problem.

Scott when I sandblast I have a big shop fan that I point at the compressor and tank. That heat really builds up but the fan will help cool the tank air and also give the comressor itself a break from all of that heat. I'm sure your tank is hot enough to burn your hand if you touch it and that's bad in every aspect. It's a pretty cheap way to add to the time your compressor pump last.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2012, 07:58 AM   #3400
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
Nice idea on the grounding bar Scott. Something you could do to make it even better is to use a rubber gasket bewteen it and the frame. Anytime steel and aluminum contact each other corrosion starts between them, it's a chemical reaction, and that will migrate over the buss bar in time causing your grounds to be less affective or even quit working. Do the same with the bolts that hold it to the frame too, make washers out of hard plastic or rubber to eliminate the metal to aluminum contact. Folks with aluminum tubs face this issue all the time and that's what they do to curb the problem.

Scott when I sandblast I have a big shop fan that I point at the compressor and tank. That heat really builds up but the fan will help cool the tank air and also give the comressor itself a break from all of that heat. I'm sure your tank is hot enough to burn your hand if you touch it and that's bad in every aspect. It's a pretty cheap way to add to the time your compressor pump last.
I wonder if there will be a time in my life when I finally get it!? Probably when God calls, but I hope I don't have to wait until then. I mean, at 51 there is just so much that should be second nature. DIDN'T EVEN CONSIDER chemical reactions, electrolysis, etc. How many aluminum boats have I owned and operated in salt-water??? This I should know. The screws are galvanized sheet metal screws, which Clay WELDED to the frame (I was going to leave that out)!! Maybe the heavy implement paint will preserve the buss for awhile...

And why didn't I think about turning the fan on the compressor? You have mentioned that before.

Thanks, Jim... God Bless, Bro...

Unread 07-02-2012, 09:57 AM   #3401
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Grill is done. No runs. Came out pretty good. How long does it have to cure before I can put everything together?? I'm impatient that way...
100_3001_1.jpg  

Unread 07-02-2012, 10:09 AM   #3402
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

Give it 4 hours so you will have to flip your hour glass over 4 times.
gmakra is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2012, 10:19 AM   #3403
pman
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
Grill is done. No runs. Came out pretty good. How long does it have to cure before I can put everything together?? I'm impatient that way...
Lookin good brotha! Are you using single stage, or base/clear? Can't remember!

You're catching up with me. Storms last night stopped my progress, so I better get out of the office and sneak in some work at lunch!
82 CJ8 Scrambler 258-t5-Dana 300
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj...-lulu-1350563/
pman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2012, 01:06 PM   #3404
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmakra View Post
Give it 4 hours so you will have to flip your hour glass over 4 times.
I know you ain't gonna bleve dis George-o... but I'm FAR more sofistikated than you are! My howr glas is motorised!! And my squaw does the labor aroun heer. Thanks for the 4 hour tip. It will sleep in the living room tonight... with the hood, fenders, and WS frame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
Lookin good brotha! Are you using single stage, or base/clear? Can't remember!

You're catching up with me. Storms last night stopped my progress, so I better get out of the office and sneak in some work at lunch!
Single stage but in satin. I didn't want shiny military spec paint. Know whut I mean Vern? You are my benchmark... whether you want to be or not. Trying hard to keep up with pman!

Storm caught me completely by surprise, and I haven't gotten the windows sealed up yet!

Unread 07-02-2012, 01:20 PM   #3405
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Interesting thing about work (my employer). They don't want me back until I'm 100%. Tore the fascia(sp) in my lower right leg... hurts and is swollen! Doc wants me back on the 23rd of this month. I figgered my employer would put me on light duty for a week or two. But no, not injured OTJ. I have to use sick leave and annual leave until I am released by Doc. So I have to get the Doc to release me before 23rd, hopefully back to work Monday. A good time to work on Clay's Jeep.

Here is what I have been up to this morning. This is PGP time...

mocked up lights on tub rear...
sanded/repainted front driving lights...
wire-wheeled one HL bezel (PO painted)
sanded wiper cover (not shown)

In the last pic you can see the blob of silicone on the inside of the bezel. This is a PO repair. What is the tab used for, and is it necessary? Tank you bery much...
100_3002_1.jpg   100_3003_1.jpg   100_3004_1.jpg   100_3005_1.jpg   100_3007_1.jpg  

100_3010_1.jpg  

Tags
1979 , cj5 , fiberglass , rollcage , tailgate

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.