Clay's Build Thread - Page 223 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Clay's Build Thread

Bilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and CStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 06-18-2012, 06:44 PM   #3331
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gido View Post
Holy crap! Sounds like y'all didnt really need a place to sleep. Did u ever stop? Glad y'all had a great time! And late happy fathers day!
Gido- we were constantly going, and I am dead-dog tired! Better yet, the KIDS are dead-dog tired!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucdog View Post
My friend dropped off the clutch today.

Attachment 417643

Attachment 417644

Attachment 417645

Attachment 417646

Attachment 417648

It looks darn good to me.

Bill

Attachment 417660
Life would be so different without you Bill! Once again, you have come to my rescue. I'll get a check in the mail. Please tell your buddy "many thanks".

Trip pics coming up...

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2012, 07:28 PM   #3332
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

As promised, here are some pics of our mini-vacation. St. Augustine is very nice with a lot to do. The history here is just incredible. St. Augustine is the oldest city in our nation. It traded hands between the Spanish, French, and British several times. Battles were fought here, pirates roamed the streets, natives were held prisoner. The fort, Castillo de San Marcos, took 23 years to build. Built entirely of coquina and cut by hand. To me, it's impressive. Here are a few pics of our trip, and I encourage you to get interested in the hstory of our nation.

We started at the KOA which I didn't take any pictures of... hmm. Go figure. Guess I was too sour at this point!? We bypassed the St. Augustine Resort too. Ended up at Holiday Isle, which I can recommend for a decent hotel. Don't have any pics of that either, but trust me, it was a hotel!

We ate that afternoon at Saltwater Cowboys. Wonderful seafood, cold beer. My kind of setting. It's an old fish camp.

Then we hit the beach. It was blowing the entire weekend, which made it impossible to fish. It wasn't as late as it appears in most of the pics, but it was evening.

The second night we ate at The Oasis. It was alright, but there is much better out there. It has a great rep, but I can tell you it's over-rated and too expensive.

Saw this on the ride home.

And saw this while at Fort Matanzas. 900 horsepower, all in 4-stroke Hondas!

Approach to Fort Matanzas, across the Matanzas River. Matanzas means "slaughter" in Spanish.

Ferry to the fort.

View from the dock.

Side view of fort.

Common bunk for soldiers. Average height was 5' 2". You enlisted when you were 12, married at 16. Marriage was mandatory. You drank rum 3times a day. The "cup" looked bigger than a pint, but less than a quart. There were 45 men and 6 dogs crammed into this little room. The Officer slept upstairs in a private room.

Officer's room.

Narrow ladder to the top.

Pretty view of Rattlesnake Island.

Bullet holes in the fort.

No battles were fought at Matanzas, and it's a very small fort.

More pics coming up...

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Unread 06-18-2012, 07:57 PM   #3333
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Castillo de San Marcos is a BIG fort! Lots of work went into it. LOTS of history happened here. Lots of people died here from several nations. The Native Americans suffered the most, but the strongest ruled. St. Augustine is the city that was built here as a result of the Spanish settling. The fort came later. St. Augustine was pillaged and razed before the fort was ever constructed. Spanish, French, and British competed over ownership, and pirates frequented the town. There were so many people here on the day we visited it was nearly impossible to get pics without them, and the fort is so large that you can't get a perspective. There are many rooms originally used as housing and food storage. The fort is built of coquina rock, which is formed from the Coquina. The Coquina is a small bi-valve that burrows in the beach sand. Another name is Periwinkle. Over time, compression causes the minerals in the shell to bond to one another, and the rock layer is formed. It stratified and the layers are easily seen. It proved to be durable against the cannonball, although it's a brittle rock. The British pounded the fort for 51 days and finally left. Every night, the Spanish would run out in the cover of darkness, cut out the damage stone, and replace it. the British thought the rock regenerated, and they became demoralized and left. That is the account of one incident between the Brits and Spaniards.

Here are some pics...

Sign at entrance and my handsome boys!

Walkway in and drawbridge. This is over the dry moat. No water was ever kept in it. During a seige, the livestock were kept here. The Spaniards could slaughter a cow without getting shot by the invading force.

One of the Rangers in period clothing. They have to buy their own uniforms. They are expensive! They have standard issue uniforms too, but they rotate wearing the period clothes.

The fort had 77 cannons.

Random pics.
This is a view of the Catholic Church in the background. Beautiful architecture.

And these are spires but I don't know what building.

Other random pics...

Another Ranger giving us some more detail. One exterior wall is riddled with bullet holes. I asked if it was where the soldiers performed executions. The Ranger said it is where the soldiers held target practice and also unloaded their rifles before entering the fort.

This is a room worthy of mention! Rough life back then...

You pooped through the hole and dumped water down on top of it. Then the tide came in and flushed everything away! The tide runs on a 6 hour cycle. I bet that was a stinking place during the summer months!

We have more pics if you want to see them. I hope you enjoyed the tour!

Unread 06-18-2012, 08:00 PM   #3334
pman
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Great pics! And your son min the red shirt is a spitting image of you-- "mini me"!!!
82 CJ8 Scrambler 258-t5-Dana 300
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj...-lulu-1350563/
pman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2012, 08:03 PM   #3335
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
Great pics! And your son min the red shirt is a spitting image of you-- "mini me"!!!
He and Clay got my ears!! He also got my nose! Poor kid...

Unread 06-18-2012, 08:40 PM   #3336
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Great pictures Scott, the first fort was small, imagine sleeping in that room In Augest . I don't know if you are up on 4 stroke out boards. Our rescue boat has 2 200 HP. 4 stroke Mercs. They can be sync'ed with a push of a button on the consul.

Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2012, 09:28 PM   #3337
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Looks like a Great trip Brother! I cant wait till we head out on ours. We already have 2 jeeps rented for a day of trail riding!
Unread 06-18-2012, 10:54 PM   #3338
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Great trip, Scott. And, along with your pictures and narration, I feel as though I went on a trip there. Thanks!

Rich

There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
rixcj is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2012, 08:20 AM   #3339
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

Where is the button that takes this thing off pause? Stupid remote.
Unread 06-22-2012, 08:40 AM   #3340
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VACJ7
Either the batteries are dead or maybe a 3b rolled over it.
Unread 06-22-2012, 10:17 AM   #3341
jakeryii
1967 CJ5 

lol the 3B prolly just ate the dang remote
Unread 06-22-2012, 06:17 PM   #3342
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoC View Post
Looks like a Great trip Brother! I cant wait till we head out on ours. We already have 2 jeeps rented for a day of trail riding!
Where you going MoC??

Quote:
Originally Posted by rixcj View Post
Great trip, Scott. And, along with your pictures and narration, I feel as though I went on a trip there. Thanks!

Rich
Cool! I wonder if I can make money doing that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VACJ7 View Post
Operator error!! Actually, waiting on the new dash to arrive. MoC is sending us another to replace the "welding error" Clay had with his old dash. Once it gets here, I'll finish painting it and the grill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoC View Post
Either the batteries are dead or maybe a 3b rolled over it.
I think they are dead batteries, or he lost it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeryii View Post
lol the 3B prolly just ate the dang remote
I expect it will eat one thing for sure, and that's $$!!

Unread 06-24-2012, 09:51 PM   #3343
jakeryii
1967 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
I expect it will eat one thing for sure, and that's $$!!

What jeep doesn't eat $$$?
Unread 06-25-2012, 03:58 AM   #3344
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

Skipper the She Gator has issued a decree (I think she and the Bulldog AKA Squaw communicate telepathically)

Quit farting around and get Clays Jeep done before he is an old man with a college degree, married and with numerous little Skippers runing about!!

Hey dont get mad at me I am only the messenger.
gmakra is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2012, 06:40 AM   #3345
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmakra View Post
Skipper the She Gator has issued a decree (I think she and the Bulldog AKA Squaw communicate telepathically)

Quit farting around and get Clays Jeep done before he is an old man with a college degree, married and with numerous little Skippers runing about!!

Hey dont get mad at me I am only the messenger.
The messenger's dead meat... I only spare the piano player!

Night before last... we ordered the new harnesses (3 point), windshield frame to glass seal, new cowl seal, new stop light switch. The rest of the stuff we'll pick up locally.

What happened to Morris' discount with Forum9??? Also, headed to orthopedic doctor to find out what's up with my leg.

Tags
1979 , cj5 , fiberglass , rollcage , tailgate

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.