Clay's Build Thread - Page 222 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Clay's Build Thread

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 06-13-2012, 09:50 PM   #3316
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
... she would have driven one if I had one ready!
Less talk, more work.

Unread 06-13-2012, 09:54 PM   #3317
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Yes on the clutch, I'll send him a text and see if I can pick it up Monday/Tuesday.

The same camp ground as last time? Here's wishing for better neighbors.
I'm not sure on the respray, do the thumb nail test. The run may still be soft. If no rain tomorrow, set it out in the sun, ask Beth to turn it mid-day.

The list could be endless on your 7, something to make it safe for her to drive, didn't you mention something about the brakes?

Have a fantastic Fathers day my friend. Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2012, 06:34 PM   #3318
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VACJ7 View Post
Less talk, more work.
but I'm TIIIIIIIIIIIIIIRED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucdog View Post
Yes on the clutch, I'll send him a text and see if I can pick it up Monday/Tuesday.

The same camp ground as last time? Here's wishing for better neighbors.
I'm not sure on the respray, do the thumb nail test. The run may still be soft. If no rain tomorrow, set it out in the sun, ask Beth to turn it mid-day.

The list could be endless on your 7, something to make it safe for her to drive, didn't you mention something about the brakes?

Have a fantastic Fathers day my friend. Bill
Oh yeah, brakes for sure. I will be adding vacuum assist when the time comes. I have the booster already. I want a 1" BL, and I have quite a bit of body work to do. I need Clay to build me bumpers too. Also a set of Jim's shackle hangers. Don't get me started...

Different campground. This is a KOA over in St. Augustiine. We'll be there for three days surf-fishing, swimming, and being tourists! It is supposed to rain, but you go when you can. Also, Fallon has been running a fever the last couple days. It's possible we won't go, depends on how he feels tomorrow.

Happy father's Day back to you and to ALL the Fathers out there!

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2012, 07:31 PM   #3319
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VACJ7 View Post
Less talk, more work.
Hand under his chin. Head tilted 45 degrees up. "I just can't seem to get anything done, I wonder who's on JF"
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
2005 TJ Rubicon.
Unread 06-14-2012, 09:44 PM   #3320
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Ugh! Ate too many Klondikes.

Windshield frame is still somewhat soft. 2.6" of rain yesterday and today.

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
Scott's Build Thread
Unread 06-15-2012, 09:34 AM   #3321
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Windshield frame is done. I used a razor blade to remove the blob of run from the two or three places. Sanded with 320 (I don't have anything finer, and I'm not going to town for it). The paint sort of rolls up in little fingers under the sand paper... it doesn't come off in dust. You have to stop and wipe it away often, or it will become ground into the surface and make a soft lump. One area where I sanded did not finish out very well. You can still see the "scar" where the major run was, driver's side near the WS hinge. The good news is the hinge will cover most of it, and I guess it is alright that this old Jeep has a scar on it! Gives it character... right?

I hope to check in while we are away, but I don't know if I'll be able to. We're going to visit the Spanish forts in St. Augustine and frequent the beach. I'm planning to take pics and post them up. In case I don't "see" ya'll over the weekend, I want to wish you the most heartfelt Father's Day wishes to all of you.

God is Good! Be safe...

Scott

Clay's Build Thread
Scott's Build Thread
Unread 06-15-2012, 10:10 AM   #3322
1983 CJ7 

Right back at ya Scott
Unread 06-15-2012, 04:52 PM   #3323
2girlsAndaGuy
1979 CJ5 

Have a great weekend and fathers day Scott.

David
2girlsAndaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2012, 06:03 PM   #3324
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Scott, tried to call you but you aint there. Quit sanding on the runs. Leave them alone for a couple of months then take a razor blade and scrape them smooth. You're gonna do more harm than good trying to fix them now. Oh and enjoy the weekend too!!

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2012, 08:49 PM   #3325
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Father's Day doesn't do anything for me, unless you include 2 cats and a lizard as my kids, but hope you all have a safe and enjoyable Father's Day.... Enjoy the trip Skerr! I have many a fond memories camping with my father... hope your sons will for years to come!

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2012, 04:46 AM   #3326
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

Skipper happy fathers day
gmakra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2012, 07:24 PM   #3327
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

We have returned!! What an adventure. This has been a great weekend with tons of action, excitement, and mayhem! I have a natural ton of pics to post, but I have to sort them out and resize, so I doubt it will happen tonight. Would ya'll like to see some of them here, or would you rather have a link to a photobucket page? Let me know...

I will give the narration however! (if you don't mind!)

Beth searched for a condo/house (on the beach) for a two night stay, but everything had a three night minimum. We ended up renting a KOA Kamping Kabin. Condo-type accommodations were around $200 per night, and the KOA was $140. Their Kabin, which they called The Lodge, supposedly slept 6, had a small kitchen, full bath, fridge, micro, and was on a lake with a deck. Internet pics looked good. We got there and paid our $340 (including taxes and fees). The clerk said the water was off because someone broke a pipe. I asked him if there was a "boil water" order, and he said, "Huh?". Beth "had to go" so she hit the restroom at the office. We arrived at the Kabin. What a JOKE! If you farted you'd knock somebody down! The place had a dirty toliet and food crumbs on the futon. LOTS of food crumbs. Also flying bugs inside! The queen bed was so noisy that everybody would wake up if you so much as rolled over!!! Dang, nam... I knew it wasn't going to be big, but jiminy. I guess that's the curse of having large kids. I complained, got a full refund, and we repacked the truck. Maintenance was there before we finished and asked what our problem was... I told them it wasn't clean.

We found another place that looked good, on the beach, called The St Augustine Resort. The Internet ad looked so good that I figured it would be way overpriced, but when we got to it it was an old Florida hotel (that is actually a style that some of you guys will understand) and was quite run down. We stopped to look at the rooms (they were actually cheaper than the KOA). The office had that musty "dog dander" smell and the rooms were filthy. Some dude hit on my wife while we were looking at the rooms, and I guess she saved his life! So we kept going! We ended up at Holiday Isle which was not as old, a lot nicer, and the clerk gave the rooms to us for $125 a night. It cost more overall, but the quality of our stay was so much better. We burned Friday looking for a place to stay, but it turned out alright. The beach was a short walk, and my little guys were so excited it made me proud! I grew up at the beach, and my kids haven't had that benefit. We HAVE to do it more often.

We ate at Saltwater Cowboys the first night. It was wonderful and awesome seafood. The second night was The Oasis, but it was overpriced and the food was marginal.

We hit Fort Matanzas which is accessible only by boat. It was really cool with an amazing history. Matanzas, in Spanish, means slaughter, which occurred when the Spaniards killed about 70 unarmed French sailors who had surrendered to them. Then we hit Castillo de San Marcos, which is a significant and impressive fort. A lot of history there and a lot of people died, including Osceola, a former Seminole Indian Chief, where he was kept as a prisoner until his death.

We are all worn slap out, and I have a 12 hour shift tomorrow. Bummer. I hate to go to work the day ater we travel. I like a day of rest beforehand. Oh well... time to tough it out. Let me know what to do with the pics.

Thanks to all for the Father's Day wishes. It has been very special, and the family just gave me a couple of gifts tonight... sawhorses and a T-shirt. I am truly blessed...

Clay's Build Thread
Scott's Build Thread
Unread 06-18-2012, 09:51 AM   #3328
Gido
1980 CJ7 

Holy crap! Sounds like y'all didnt really need a place to sleep. Did u ever stop? Glad y'all had a great time! And late happy fathers day!

in memory of Jimmy Smith - a wise man
Gido is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2012, 11:19 AM   #3329
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Up to you on the pictures. Sounds like a good trip, after the lodging snafu.

Another cool fort is Fort Pulaski, there are still Union shells in the outter walls, its in Tybee Island GA. They also have a 154' light house you can go in, right to the top . It's 5 miles south of Hilton Head, and just east of Savanah GA.

Bill
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
Unread 06-18-2012, 03:47 PM   #3330
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

My friend dropped off the clutch today.

image-42861239.jpg

image-1855571143.jpg

Attachment 417645

image-4158763569.jpg

image-3857181933.jpg

It looks darn good to me.

Bill

image-3205610521.jpg
image-2307255146.jpg  
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
2005 TJ Rubicon.

Tags
1979 , cj5 , fiberglass , rollcage , tailgate

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.