Clay's Build Thread - Page 22 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Clay's Build Thread

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 08-28-2010, 12:04 AM   #316
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
Was just reviewing your torque arm build... may have to do the same thing. Glad you take great pictures!!
My arm was 5/16" thick and fits pretty snug between the bushings with minimal play. I would try to stick with 1/4" thick to give the bushings just a little more room between the arm. Yours is so short, I don't even know if it would matter.

Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2010, 12:06 AM   #317
bbc
1985 CJ7 

Finally, I need the "hold downs" for the U-Joint/Yoke for the 20 rearend. I thought it used the U-Bolt style, but it doesn't... it uses the thru-bolt, hold down style. Does anyone have any laying around or a "best" place to get them?

Thanks[/QUOTE]

You need the 1310 strap style, but it may be a good time to think about converting to a u-bolt style.
JEEP CJ 72-86 DANA 30 U-BOLT PINION YOKE CONVERSION KIT: eBay Motors (item 280544842633 end time Sep-04-10 11:06:28 PDT)
bbc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2010, 12:12 AM   #318
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbc View Post
Finally, I need the "hold downs" for the U-Joint/Yoke for the 20 rearend. I thought it used the U-Bolt style, but it doesn't... it uses the thru-bolt, hold down style. Does anyone have any laying around or a "best" place to get them?

Thanks
You need the 1310 strap style, but it may be a good time to think about converting to a u-bolt style.
JEEP CJ 72-86 DANA 30 U-BOLT PINION YOKE CONVERSION KIT: eBay Motors (item 280544842633 end time Sep-04-10 11:06:28 PDT)[/QUOTE]

OUCH! That's for a 30... I assume a 20 would be about the same. I do need a new seal installed, and I do want the U-bolt style... dang! Thanks for the link.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2010, 12:15 AM   #319
bbc
1985 CJ7 

AMC 20 it is then
20 U-BOLT PINION YOKE CONVERSION - Google Product Search
bbc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2010, 12:21 AM   #320
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Quote:

Quote:
OUCH! That's for a 30... I assume a 20 would be about the same. I do need a new seal installed, and I do want the U-bolt style... dang! Thanks for the link.
If it is a standard 1310 yoke, I might have some straps and bolts for you. I converted my last strap style to the U-bolts during the build.
Unread 08-28-2010, 12:22 AM   #321
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
WOW! Thank You!! It's funny... I have an extra 30 and a 44 laying on the floor of my shop. I wish one of them would fit!

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Unread 08-28-2010, 12:24 AM   #322
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiz View Post
If it is a standard 1310 yoke, I might have some straps and bolts for you. I converted my last strap style to the U-bolts during the build.
If you have straps they'll get the DS attached. Clay won't be hammering this thing... at least not for awhile. He still needs to learn how to drive a clutch!!

Unread 08-28-2010, 12:26 AM   #323
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
WOW! Thank You!! It's funny... I have an extra 30 and a 44 laying on the floor of my shop. I wish one of them would fit!
It might. If I remember correctly from my search the D44, D30 and D300 all share the same yoke. Not sure about the 20 as I have never had one of those.

Double check for yourself but I think one off your D30 or D44 would work. This shows them to be the same.

Last edited by Coiz; 08-28-2010 at 12:37 AM..
Unread 08-28-2010, 09:31 AM   #324
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Hey Scott here's what Adavance sends in the adapter kit. It's 1 1/2" x 3" x .12 tubing and the bushing hole is 3 1/4" from the center of the closest tranny mount hole. If you still need the u-bolt straps let me know, I have the 30 and 20.
100_0124.jpg   100_0125.jpg  

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2010, 09:48 AM   #325
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
Hey Scott here's what Adavance sends in the adapter kit. It's 1 1/2" x 3" x .12 tubing and the bushing hole is 3 1/4" from the center of the closest tranny mount hole. If you still need the u-bolt straps let me know, I have the 30 and 20.
That looks pretty substantial but thinner walled than I would expect. So I have a broad range of materials to choose from...

I will get back to you on the straps. I solicited Mike already, and if a current yoke fits, then I may not need them at all. Gotta check it out...

Thanks, Jim

Unread 08-28-2010, 10:08 AM   #326
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

I thought it was a bit thin too. I may build something myself later on. Straps aren't going anywhere. Just let me know if you need them.

Hey Scott check these 2 places out, not far from Waverly.
Heartland Creamery
Heartland Ministries
The fellow that owns this place has a huge dairy and I think poultry business going. I mean it's mega agriculture stuff. Anyway I thought it might be something of interest to you.

My build thread
Unread 08-28-2010, 11:51 AM   #327
1983 CJ7 

Time for some overall update pictures
Unread 08-28-2010, 02:56 PM   #328
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Update, huh? You realize that this is the absolute highlight of my life right now!? My wife calls it Jeep Gossip! If I stare at the Jeep long enough it fixes itself!

We're at a slow part again. We have several small things that need to be done so we can move along. Clay is removing the factory shock mounts from the axle tube. I want to try and save them in case someone smashes one on the trail and needs a replacement. But the cutoff wheel doesn't fit in there too well. So we may have to cut what we can and whack it with a hammer to get it off. Then we can finish the shocks. I need some metal screws to attach the holders for the brake lines and Prop valve... does anyone know what size they are, or have another recommendations for screws?

We have the front backing plates to install, calipers, but first new ball joints. I remember, before I tore it down, the Jeep would try to kill you by diving off the road at slow speeds... so we're gonna concentrate on the front end a bit. Of course, I no longer have that axle up there... we're running WT axles now.

Still researching fuel tanks. I found one on Ebait, a 15 gallon poly tank, for .99 with 2 hours to go. It had a $45 shipping fee on top of whatever it sold for. Another seller had a brand new 15 gal steel tank for $99 with free shipping. Hmmm... the poly tank sold for $47 (IIRC). I don't think that buyer was very wise, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder... right? So we're probably going to buy new stuff.

The wheels and tires on Clay's Jeep will have to go. They are 16", which I like, but we're going 15" instead. The tires are 33" and we're going 31". Just a little more safety mindedness on Dad's part... so we gotta find someone to swap out.

Also want to try and swap yokes from the D30 or D44 onto the AMC20 so I can have the U-Bolt style yoke. I monkeyed around with that for a little while with no progress. It's clear I'm gonna have to get tuff with the pinion nuts!

The weather has cooled a good bit today... it's really nice outside. Think me'n the boys will go bust a few caps!
100_0820_1.jpg  

Unread 08-28-2010, 03:04 PM   #329
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post

Hey Scott check these 2 places out, not far from Waverly.
Heartland Creamery
Heartland Ministries
The fellow that owns this place has a huge dairy and I think poultry business going. I mean it's mega agriculture stuff. Anyway I thought it might be something of interest to you.
Thank You, Jim. I will drop them a resume and see what happens! Thanks for looking after me!

Unread 08-28-2010, 03:11 PM   #330
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Thank You, Jim. I will drop them a resume and see what happens! Thanks for looking after me!
You're welcome Scott. I think you'd be impressed with the place. They give tours and people I know that have went there say it's like nothing they've ever seen. They say they also have a greatttttttt place to eat there, it's like it's own city way out in the sticks. By the way, it's in some the best deer huting country is Missouri, thought that would be of special interest to you.

My build thread

Tags
1979 , cj5 , fiberglass , rollcage , tailgate

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.