Clay's Build Thread - Page 205 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Clay's Build Thread

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-25-2012, 11:41 PM   #3061
Bojon
1981 CJ5 

I'm sure you guys will get it figured out. Out of curiosity, whats wrong with the weld, not enough penetration?

Since that landscape job is in a "richie" neighborhood I hope you guys are getting paid handsomely

Jered
Bojon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2012, 11:49 PM   #3062
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bojon View Post
I'm sure you guys will get it figured out. Out of curiosity, whats wrong with the weld, not enough penetration?

Since that landscape job is in a "richie" neighborhood I hope you guys are getting paid handsomely
Clay is getting porosity, which is like a million little airbubbles that appear in the finish weld. This effects the weld strength. It would be fine welding your kickstand back on your dirtbike, but not for a cage.

We are charging $10 per person per hour. You can surely get more, but I enjoy the word of mouth, and I like the service industry. I like making people happy with good service. It guarantees that they will call you back.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2012, 11:54 PM   #3063
Bojon
1981 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
Clay is getting porosity, which is like a million little airbubbles that appear in the finish weld. This effects the weld strength. It would be fine welding your kickstand back on your dirtbike, but not for a cage.
O, gotcha. On the bright side, the cage isn't holding you back from working on the rest of it.

Jered
Bojon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2012, 12:08 AM   #3064
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Quote:

We are charging $10 per person per hour. You can surely get more, but I enjoy the word of mouth, and I like the service industry. I like making people happy with good service. It guarantees that they will call you back.
By any chance, did the tubing have any oily residue on, or INSIDE it, perhaps to help prevent rusting? If there's oil anywhere near a weld joint, as soon as the metal starts getting hot from welding, the oil will travel towards the weld joint. With mig, that almost always results in porosity.

What do you mean by "the finish weld". Do you mean the weld that he's putting over the ground out weld? That reminds me....typically, if you have porosity in a mig or tig weld, and you grind it out to re-weld the joint, but you don't get ALL of the original porosity out, it can re-appear in the new weld.

Rich

There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
rixcj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2012, 07:48 PM   #3065
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Okay. Are ya'll sitting down? You're not holding anything sharp? No open flames? Not cleaning a firearm? Okay... good.

The welding issue is solved.

Clay took his machine to school this morning.

The Instructor tried it out and couldn't get it to work.

He discovered there was no gas coming out of the gun.

He traced it back to the machine.

Clay didn't plug the lead in far enough!

The gas was escaping before it got to the piece.

It welds perfectly!!

Time to move on...

YAY.

( I AM really excited about this, actually. Clay has been moping around, thinking he blew $800. The Instructor thinks his machine ROCKS!! It is good for Clay to have it figured out)

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Unread 04-28-2012, 07:55 PM   #3066
bbc
1985 CJ7 

Sweet!
Weld On!
bbc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2012, 07:56 PM   #3067
jcal73
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Okay. Are ya'll sitting down? You're not holding anything sharp? No open flames? Not cleaning a firearm? Okay... good.

The welding issue is solved.

Clay took his machine to school this evening.

The Instructor tried it out and couldn't get it to work.

He discovered there was no gas coming out of the gun.

He traced it back to the machine.

Clay didn't plug the lead in far enough!

The gas was escaping before it got to the piece.

It welds perfectly!!

Time to move on...

YAY.

( I AM really excited about this, actually. Clay has been moping around, thinking he blew $800. The Instructor thinks his machine ROCKS!! It is good for Clay to have it figured out)
That's Great!
jcal73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2012, 08:08 PM   #3068
mvigo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

now go get 'em!
1985 CJ-7, fuel injected 258, 2.5" Rubicon Express Extreme Duty Lift, 1" Body lift, Crabtree Shackle Hangers, T-5, Dana 300 w/ 4:1 Teralow kit, Dana 30, AMC 20 w/1 piece axle, 3.73 's with Detroit Truetrac front and rear, riding on 32x11.5x15" Cooper Discoverer STT mud terrains
mvigo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2012, 08:17 PM   #3069
pman
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Great thread, Scott! Might have to take the night off and read through the whole thing! Glad your son got the issue resolved with his welder.
82 CJ8 Scrambler 258-t5-Dana 300
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj...-lulu-1350563/
pman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2012, 08:17 PM   #3070
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

That's a relief....it's nice when it's a simple fix. You guys will LOVE that machine, now.

Rich

There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
rixcj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2012, 07:30 AM   #3071
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

Skipper hate to say I told you so but I did!
Originally Posted by gmakra
Skipper there sounds like there maybe two problems with Clays welder first there should be some taps in the machine to change wire polarity. Solid wire runs electrode straight polairity and flux core is DCRP. Either will give you fits if its set on the wrong taps. Next look at the gas line cause there is some problem there kinked or cracked or parialy plugged.

For this work I prefer solid wire and on a scale of 1-10 pipe welding small pipe is about a 30 so dont let it get you down.

gmakra is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2012, 07:35 PM   #3072
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbc View Post
Sweet!
Weld On!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcal73 View Post
That's Great!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvigo View Post
now go get 'em!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rixcj View Post
That's a relief....it's nice when it's a simple fix. You guys will LOVE that machine, now.

Rich
Thanks Guys. He definitely loves the machine. His start/stop points are a little rough, but his welds look awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
Great thread, Scott! Might have to take the night off and read through the whole thing! Glad your son got the issue resolved with his welder.
Thanks for stopping in pman! There's a lot of blah-blah in this thread, but I've had a good time putting it there! A natural TON of support too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmakra View Post
Skipper hate to say I told you so but I did!
Originally Posted by gmakra
Skipper there sounds like there maybe two problems with Clays welder first there should be some taps in the machine to change wire polarity. Solid wire runs electrode straight polairity and flux core is DCRP. Either will give you fits if its set on the wrong taps. Next look at the gas line cause there is some problem there kinked or cracked or parialy plugged.

For this work I prefer solid wire and on a scale of 1-10 pipe welding small pipe is about a 30 so dont let it get you down.

Well, if you'd get your butt DOWN here you could have shown us TOO!!!

Clay is halfway done with the cage. His welds look awesome. Now the pressure is back on me to get the tub painted. I made up a list of things left to do, and truthfully, I'm overwhelmed!! I had no idea there was still so much to do. I told ya'll the small parts was gonna kill us, and some of it ain't so small! I'm off the next two days, and Wifey is lining me up with non-Jeep work. And all I want to do is sleep.

Unread 04-29-2012, 08:22 PM   #3073
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

I am a coming on down June 7 th or so
gmakra is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2012, 09:45 PM   #3074
mvigo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Scott,

This was just posted in a new thread titled "Barn find"...it has your OEM 60/40 bench seat in remarkable shape:

1985 CJ-7, fuel injected 258, 2.5" Rubicon Express Extreme Duty Lift, 1" Body lift, Crabtree Shackle Hangers, T-5, Dana 300 w/ 4:1 Teralow kit, Dana 30, AMC 20 w/1 piece axle, 3.73 's with Detroit Truetrac front and rear, riding on 32x11.5x15" Cooper Discoverer STT mud terrains
mvigo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2012, 07:09 PM   #3075
bbc
1985 CJ7 

Well?
2 days off now, What's the progress? Let's hear it. or did your better 1/2 have more important things for you to get in to? which is OK too.
bbc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
1979 , cj5 , fiberglass , rollcage , tailgate

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.