Clay's Build Thread - Page 202 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Clay's Build Thread

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!

Unread 04-20-2012, 06:33 AM   #3016
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

No incident on the wheel George. IIRC there was a crack there when I gave it to Scott. I remember it looking like the first picture where the wheel is lying with the plastic faceing up. I don't know how it got so big,

Welding with flux core wire and gas ( just co2) is called dual shield. I used this when working a Caterpillar, ( it was on D9 track roller frames, the wire was 3/32").From a short google search dual shield wire is a different makeup than the intershield wire , you probably have. So check on what what wire you have.

I don't understand this 45 PSI, I run my welder with 13 psi on the regulator, with solid wire.

Like said earlier check polarity, the wires should be right by the wire feed motor.

Bill

On edit, the intershield wire should not have a lot of spatter. And the spatter it does have should be very fine , like pinpoint size.

1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2012, 06:57 AM   #3017
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Make sure the gas bottle is turned on all the way. I always turn mine off also, when done welding.

Bill
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
2005 TJ Rubicon.
Unread 04-20-2012, 08:57 AM   #3018
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucdog View Post
I don't understand this 45 PSI, I run my welder with 13 psi on the regulator, with solid wire.
x2. My Hobart recommends ~ 21 PSI.
Unread 04-20-2012, 09:48 AM   #3019
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmakra View Post
Skipper there sounds like there maybe two problems with Clays welder first there should be some taps in the machine to change wire polarity. Solid wire runs electrode straight polairity and flux core is DCRP. Either will give you fits if its set on the wrong taps. Next look at the gas line cause there is some problem there kinked or cracked or parialy plugged.

For this work I prefer solid wire and on a scale of 1-10 pipe welding small pipe is about a 30 so dont let it get you down.

I see your working on the steering wheel, IRRC that there was some incident between you and Bill about this?
Thanks Professor... I will check the welder against those points. Clay's welder has no taps. It is a variable model.

Yeah... that sorry dog Bill. He made me go to Illinois for that steering wheel. I had to bang on his door, over and over, screaming, "YOU COME OUT OF THERE!" But he wouldn't come out! Figured he was hiding under the bed. His Grandson snuck up behind me and clunked me in the shin with 1/2" extension, then created a diaper bomb. I couldn't figure out why I was being treated this way, but it became apparent after the Missouri cops let me go. I got lost somewhere after I turned of I-10... But it's all good...

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2012, 10:04 AM   #3020
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Your shocks are on upside down Scott.

I know that Clay can weld. The problems he's having are with equipment for some reason. That welder he bought should work right too. Like George said you may need to change the way the leads are attached. That definately makes a difference. I also think Clay either needs to weld with gas of flux, not both at the same time. I use .035 wire on mine for everything, even sheet metal. I use the 75% argon & 25% carbondioxide. The porsity thing could be the pressure on the gas. If you're welding outside with any wind blowing it can really cause the gas to not do it's job. You can turn the pressure up to help but it's better to get it inside and leave the pressure as low as you can get by with, saves gas. Another thing that will wreak havoc on good welds is wire that has moisture problems. The obvious is rust on the wire but I've even heard that it can cause trouble even though it's not rusted. You do have allot of humidity.

Scott if all else fails Clay bought a new welder, right. I'd get in touch with the Lincoln tech dept. and see what help they can be. You all are just having way too much trouble with this thing to be something wrong with Clay's skills. I'm sure once the problem is fixed his welds will be fine. There is a reason he's having problems and it is in that welder somewhere. I bought mine new and it wouldn't weld worth a dime. No matter what I did it just did not work right. I called the place I bought it and the next day a tech guy showed up with a new lead. It welded perfect then. Problem was the wire was not feeding smooth and my welds looked terrible. That lead is extremely important. Don't walk on it, drop anything on it and never use it with a kink or even a tight bend in it because the wire will not feed right. If that happens weld quality goes down hill fast. Another thing that needs adjusted right is the tension wheels that feed the wire and they need to be made for the size wire you're using. Check it all out and make double sure everything is right, go by the book supplied with the welder. Yes read the instructions.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2012, 10:59 AM   #3021
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

If he doesn't have external taps, it is probably like mine where you open the side where the wire is and you will see the connections for the ground cable and the feed line. That's where you reverse the polarity, just switch the connections.

If all else fails, have Clay take it in to the school and have the instructor check it over. Then he could use it there for the day, and compare the welds from the school's shop environment to your home shop's environment. That would take out some of the variables to help narrow down those nice welds at school compared to the ones at home - same conditions, same materials, different equipment.

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2012, 12:48 PM   #3022
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Good post Jim! Since Paul didn't do a picture I will. Mine is set for solid wire .

Bill

image-4131830691.jpg
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
Unread 04-20-2012, 12:59 PM   #3023
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

Skipper see the pic above those are the taps I was talking about the one with the + and - move those around and see hwo she welds.

Now if you have a higher class of machine, such as I have its painted blue and says Miller on it the taps will be same area.
gmakra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2012, 01:34 PM   #3024
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
Your shocks are on upside down Scott.

I know that Clay can weld. The problems he's having are with equipment for some reason. That welder he bought should work right too. Like George said you may need to change the way the leads are attached. That definately makes a difference. I also think Clay either needs to weld with gas of flux, not both at the same time. I use .035 wire on mine for everything, even sheet metal. I use the 75% argon & 25% carbondioxide. The porsity thing could be the pressure on the gas. If you're welding outside with any wind blowing it can really cause the gas to not do it's job. You can turn the pressure up to help but it's better to get it inside and leave the pressure as low as you can get by with, saves gas. Another thing that will wreak havoc on good welds is wire that has moisture problems. The obvious is rust on the wire but I've even heard that it can cause trouble even though it's not rusted. You do have allot of humidity.

Scott if all else fails Clay bought a new welder, right. I'd get in touch with the Lincoln tech dept. and see what help they can be. You all are just having way too much trouble with this thing to be something wrong with Clay's skills. I'm sure once the problem is fixed his welds will be fine. There is a reason he's having problems and it is in that welder somewhere. I bought mine new and it wouldn't weld worth a dime. No matter what I did it just did not work right. I called the place I bought it and the next day a tech guy showed up with a new lead. It welded perfect then. Problem was the wire was not feeding smooth and my welds looked terrible. That lead is extremely important. Don't walk on it, drop anything on it and never use it with a kink or even a tight bend in it because the wire will not feed right. If that happens weld quality goes down hill fast. Another thing that needs adjusted right is the tension wheels that feed the wire and they need to be made for the size wire you're using. Check it all out and make double sure everything is right, go by the book supplied with the welder. Yes read the instructions.
Definitely welding inside the shop. Wind is not an issue. However, the wire develops pitting fairly quickly once it is removed from the package. Clay strips a lot of wire from the spool before he is satisfied. Another reason to kick myself for not enclosing my shop when I built it! The Tech Dept is a resurce I constantly overlook! Thanks for reminding me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutlass327 View Post
If he doesn't have external taps, it is probably like mine where you open the side where the wire is and you will see the connections for the ground cable and the feed line. That's where you reverse the polarity, just switch the connections.

If all else fails, have Clay take it in to the school and have the instructor check it over. Then he could use it there for the day, and compare the welds from the school's shop environment to your home shop's environment. That would take out some of the variables to help narrow down those nice welds at school compared to the ones at home - same conditions, same materials, different equipment.
He does have external taps... I just thought George was talking about preset heat settings. You know you have to try and guess what George is talking about!

Quote:
Good post Jim! Since Paul didn't do a picture I will. Mine is set for solid wire .

Bill

Attachment 384371
You ain't gonna say anything about the "Steering Wheel Incident"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmakra View Post
Skipper see the pic above those are the taps I was talking about the one with the + and - move those around and see hwo she welds.

Now if you have a higher class of machine, such as I have its painted blue and says Miller on it the taps will be same area.
Roger... Wil-co. We looked at Miller machines, and blue is my favorite color too. But they all say "auto-set", and we figgered anybody could weld with one of those. We wanted to learn!
100_2727_1.jpg   100_2728_1.jpg   100_2729_1.jpg   100_2731_1.jpg   100_2732_1.jpg  

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
Scott's Build Thread
Unread 04-20-2012, 01:42 PM   #3025
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Eye Candy! Done, except for some glaze inside the tub. Hit the inside with a can of sandable primer. Underside brushed with the Valspar implement paint, as was used on the rest of the frame and undercarriage. Time to move on...

If I could just get that son of mine to....
100_2734_1.jpg   100_2735_1.jpg   100_2736_1.jpg   100_2737_1.jpg  

Clay's Build Thread
Scott's Build Thread
Unread 04-20-2012, 01:44 PM   #3026
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

My wife has TWO ride-on vacuum cleaners (my version of a self-propelled vacuum). She has broken both of them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Clay's Build Thread
Scott's Build Thread
Unread 04-20-2012, 01:50 PM   #3027
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

I did say something about the wheel. You must have still been in bed, it was about 10:30 am your time

On your latest pictures, I'm reading something I don't see on my Lincoln 12.5 lb.spool. Right under the barcode.

No where on the box or spool does it say, made in China. Where is the flux core made? Check the wire in your welder, maybe swap it to Clays.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
Unread 04-20-2012, 01:53 PM   #3028
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr
My wife has TWO ride-on vacuum cleaners (my version of a self-propelled vacuum). She has broken both of them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Must be all that hair.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
Unread 04-20-2012, 01:57 PM   #3029
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
On your latest pictures, I'm reading something I don't see on my Lincoln 12.5 lb.spool. Right under the barcode.
Sorry Scott, but that made me laugh!

I have been using Lincoln SuperArc L-56 ER70S-6 and it was worked out very well.
Unread 04-20-2012, 02:38 PM   #3030
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Must be all that hair.
Wow! Now I'M in trouble. She saw what I posted. You have room in your doghouse Bill??

Clay's Build Thread
Scott's Build Thread

Tags
1979 , cj5 , fiberglass , rollcage , tailgate

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.