Clay's Build Thread - Page 201 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Clay's Build Thread

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete Building a Bumper?

Unread 04-17-2012, 10:43 PM   #3001
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Looking good, Scott! You're really moving along, now. You'll make your deadline with time to spare.

Just curious...what type of resin are you using, polyester? Did you use polyester resin when you fiberglassed in the plywood, and other wood on the tub, or another type of resin? Thanks.

Rich

There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
rixcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2012, 07:29 AM   #3002
mvigo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

u make the glass work look easy big boy...

and, as for the shed? You raised 4 boys for a reason, time to put 'em to work again...in fact, with the skills flowing through the Kerr family we all know and love, I bet you all could take apart and put back together that shed faster then the video of the soldiers taking apart and putting back together the jeep...I can't wait for that video!
1985 CJ-7, fuel injected 258, 2.5" Rubicon Express Extreme Duty Lift, 1" Body lift, Crabtree Shackle Hangers, T-5, Dana 300 w/ 4:1 Teralow kit, Dana 30, AMC 20 w/1 piece axle, 3.73 's with Detroit Truetrac front and rear, riding on 32x11.5x15" Cooper Discoverer STT mud terrains
mvigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2012, 03:34 PM   #3003
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rixcj View Post
Looking good, Scott! You're really moving along, now. You'll make your deadline with time to spare.

Just curious...what type of resin are you using, polyester? Did you use polyester resin when you fiberglassed in the plywood, and other wood on the tub, or another type of resin? Thanks.

Rich
Yes, polyester.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvigo View Post
u make the glass work look easy big boy...

and, as for the shed? You raised 4 boys for a reason, time to put 'em to work again...in fact, with the skills flowing through the Kerr family we all know and love, I bet you all could take apart and put back together that shed faster then the video of the soldiers taking apart and putting back together the jeep...I can't wait for that video!
Thanks, Mike. I'm hoping we can move the sheds. The carport should be easy enough... that's just bolts and a couple of screwguns. But the shed is like a 10X14 or so, and it is all wood construction. I'm hoping to be able to slide it onto a trailer with come-alongs and fence posts.

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2012, 05:40 PM   #3004
jcal73
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Looks good Scott!

The tub looks as if it were built that way!

Jeff
jcal73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2012, 11:40 PM   #3005
BomberJeep
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Man I have gone through all 201 pages of this project and I am just flat out impressed. You and your son are doing some great work. Hopefully my daughter will want to help Daddy in a few years or whenever I can find a project Jeep. Im glad you and your sons are making some great memories. Keep up the great work, cant wait to see her finished up.

Never get between a man and his Jeep - Stacey David.

03 Jeep TJ

/l ,[_____],
l---L -OlllllllO-

()_)-()_)--o-)_)

98 Jeep XJ

_(o)_)--(o)_)----)_)
BomberJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2012, 06:36 PM   #3006
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcal73 View Post
Looks good Scott!

The tub looks as if it were built that way!

Jeff
Thanks, Jeff. "Built Kerrdog Tough..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by BomberJeep View Post
Man I have gone through all 201 pages of this project and I am just flat out impressed. You and your son are doing some great work. Hopefully my daughter will want to help Daddy in a few years or whenever I can find a project Jeep. Im glad you and your sons are making some great memories. Keep up the great work, cant wait to see her finished up.
Bomber, that's amazing! I really, really appreciate you taking the time to view our soap opera! I hope there is something of use in there, and keep in mind that ANY Jeep is a project Jeep... all you have to do is take it apart! I'm sure your daughter will be interested in whatever YOU are doing!!

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
Scott's Build Thread
Unread 04-19-2012, 06:49 PM   #3007
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Stuff for today...

Finished the glass work this evening. I didn't take any pics as I was just doing detail work, cleaning it up for a better finish. Once I was done with that, I sanded it with 80 grit and feathered the edges with Bondo. I am scraping the Bondo can... I hope I have enough to effectively finish both sides. It is what it is...

And since I was doing some glass work, I wanted to repair my steering wheel. The whatchamacallit ring is cracked and cracking. I put a small band of glass around it to stop it.

AJ showed up!! It's totally amazing. Whenever I think of him he comes rolling into the yard. He drove his Cushman down with his wife for a visit. he checked everything out, and he said, "Ya'll are dong a good job." Then he looked at the rollcage and told Clay his welds were no good!! He demo-ed Clay's welder for Clay, told him he's running too big wire, then said he thought he had a spool of solid .030. I didn't realize Clay was doing that, but he's trying to emulate everything he does in his welding class... which is a perfect world! So Clay is, right this very minute, grinding down his welds to do them over again! Poor guy. His confidence is waning...

AJ said my shocks are on upside down!!

Sorry for the blurry pictures.
100_2723_1.jpg   100_2725_1.jpg   100_2719_1.jpg   100_2720_1.jpg   100_2721_1.jpg  

100_2722_1.jpg   100_2724_1.jpg   100_2726_1.jpg  

Clay's Build Thread
Scott's Build Thread
Unread 04-19-2012, 07:04 PM   #3008
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Sucks about the welds for Clay. At least he said something now about doubting the strength of them before the cage was in permanent...

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2012, 08:28 PM   #3009
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutlass327 View Post
Sucks about the welds for Clay. At least he said something now about doubting the strength of them before the cage was in permanent...
I don't know enough about welding to advise him. I took welding courses 25 years ago, and I remember how to turn the machine on! Clay does excellent work at school, but he can't get the same quality here in our shop. He has had porosity issues ever since he got the new machine. I have to believe it is the difference between a DIY welder and state-of-the-art equipment inside a welding booth. I THINK I heard AJ say that Clay was welding with .052 flux core wire, but I haven't heard of wire that size, so I was probably mistaken. AJ said to go to .030 solid core, which I have on MY welder, so we'll swap tomorrow and see what happens. AJ is going to check to see if he has another spool in his shop. With AJ's help, Clay will master this Lincoln. Glad I'm just doing the glass!!

Clay's Build Thread
Scott's Build Thread
Unread 04-19-2012, 08:40 PM   #3010
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

Glass work looks great Scott! I don't remember, do you have a gas bottle for that welder? He will need it with .030 solid core wire. I have been using .030 for 1/8 or thicker steel. When I move to the tub will use .025.
Unread 04-19-2012, 09:05 PM   #3011
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VACJ7
Glass work looks great Scott! I don't remember, do you have a gas bottle for that welder? He will need it with .030 solid core wire. I have been using .030 for 1/8 or thicker steel. When I move to the tub will use .025.
IIRC he has a huge Argon/co2 bottle.

On the perosity, all the oil was removed from the tube? And the Argon isn't used with flux core. I know you knew that, or Clay did.

You do some great glass work buddy!
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2012, 09:17 PM   #3012
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

And you should see the crater welds produced when you, ummmmm, forget to turn the gas on with solid core. Not that I have ever done that.
Unread 04-19-2012, 10:05 PM   #3013
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Nice glasswork,Scott....I just started dabbling in glasswork, so I can really admire yours.

As far as the spool wire goes,AJ might be right, depending on what size wire Clay actually used.

.030 wire is real nice for the cage. .035 is alright,too.

Other common sizes are. 045, and. 062, which would be too thick for your project.

Is Clay getting porosity just at the beginning of each bead, or throughout the entire weld? What is the cfh of the bottle gauge set at?With this information, we may be able to get to the bottom of this.

There is also something called a leakdown test to make sure that you're not losing gas through a leak between the bottle and the tip of the gun. With the bottle opened, pull the trigger on the gun, and watch the ball,or needle of the gauge go up to where you have the cfh set to. When you release the trigger, the gas should stop coming out, and the ball,or the needle should drop to zero.

If it stays up a little bit, that indicates a leak in the system.

There's more to this porosity thing, but this is a good place to start.

Rich

There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
rixcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2012, 11:53 PM   #3014
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VACJ7 View Post
Yes, he has 75/25 mix. His Instructor has been teaching them to use gas with flux core wire, which is contrary to what I learned, but I'm staying out of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucdog View Post
IIRC he has a huge Argon/co2 bottle.

On the perosity, all the oil was removed from the tube? And the Argon isn't used with flux core. I know you knew that, or Clay did.

You do some great glass work buddy!
Yes, oil was removed and the weld areas were cleaned and ground first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VACJ7 View Post
And you should see the crater welds produced when you, ummmmm, forget to turn the gas on with solid core. Not that I have ever done that.
I am guilty of that myself! Not intentionally... just when I ran out of gas I couldn't figure out why my welds were so crappy! It was on another project.

Quote:
Nice glasswork,Scott....I just started dabbling in glasswork, so I can really admire yours.
After viewing your craftsmanship, Rich, you ain't gonna have any problems! Let me know if I can help. If you have a source for bulk resin that would be the way to go. 10CCs (I use a syringe for my catalyst) catalyst to 32 ounce of resin. This will give you about 15 minutes of work time, depending on how hot it is outside.

Quote:
As far as the spool wire goes,AJ might be right, depending on what size wire Clay actually used.

.030 wire is real nice for the cage. .035 is alright,too.

Other common sizes are. 045, and. 062, which would be too thick for your project.
Maybe AJ said .062 and not .052. If Clay was in fact using that size it's because of his Instructor's teachings. I know when I got home from work today and sauntered out to the shop, I noticed the weld quality. It was totally uncharacteristic of Clay. It looked like he forgot to turn on the gas. He has been under a lot of stress with exams, and he has been going back to school on Saturdays to catch up on his welds, as he is behind. He's really wanting this semester to end!

Quote:
Is Clay getting porosity just at the beginning of each bead, or throughout the entire weld? What is the cfh of the bottle gauge set at?With this information, we may be able to get to the bottom of this.
Clay gets porosity throughout the weld, and he has had the problem all along, even using .025 and .035 wire, flux core and solid core. He is running about 45 PSI. In my opinion, flux core creates a lot of spatter, with or without gas, and I think his Instructor is wrong.

Quote:
There is also something called a leakdown test to make sure that you're not losing gas through a leak between the bottle and the tip of the gun. With the bottle opened, pull the trigger on the gun, and watch the ball,or needle of the gauge go up to where you have the cfh set to. When you release the trigger, the gas should stop coming out, and the ball,or the needle should drop to zero.

If it stays up a little bit, that indicates a leak in the system.

There's more to this porosity thing, but this is a good place to start.

Rich
I'll check that out tomorrow. I took it for granted that it is all tight since it is new, but since Clay bought it with his own money, I let him assemble it! Maybe I should covertly have a look?

Clay's Build Thread
Scott's Build Thread
Unread 04-20-2012, 04:01 AM   #3015
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

Skipper there sounds like there maybe two problems with Clays welder first there should be some taps in the machine to change wire polarity. Solid wire runs electrode straight polairity and flux core is DCRP. Either will give you fits if its set on the wrong taps. Next look at the gas line cause there is some problem there kinked or cracked or parialy plugged.

For this work I prefer solid wire and on a scale of 1-10 pipe welding small pipe is about a 30 so dont let it get you down.

I see your working on the steering wheel, IRRC that there was some incident between you and Bill about this?
gmakra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1979 , cj5 , fiberglass , rollcage , tailgate

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.