Clay's Build Thread - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Clay's Build Thread

Artec 14b bolt BACKBONE trussNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Engo is bringing New LED Light Bars to the table...Get a g

Unread 07-05-2010, 07:27 AM   #16
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
..My son trusts me to help him with the build. He works part time on a farm making minimum wage. I don't want to carelessly spend his money while I build HIS Jeep MY way. Do you know what I mean? So I don't want him to spend money that he doesn't have to. He's gonna need that money down the road a piece. If it is an inexpensive gasket then I will just buy it myself..
Maybe it's not directly about the money, but about learnning what it costs to repair a vehicle correctly. It's understandable that he wants the bling of a shiny engine (we all want that), but part of the cost is not re-using old gaskets. $30 for paint and supplies is only part of the cost. How many stories have we read here about peoples' shortcuts costing time and money down the road? So maybe he needs to feel the pain of paving to buy a new gasket. Gaskets are generally inexpensive, right? I know 'inexpensive' is a relative term, but every Jeep owner would generally pay the same price for a gasket, therefore to own a Jeep and keep it repaired means you have to exist in the same league as the other Jeep owners. Maybe you explain to him why it's desireable to use a new gasket and then let him make the call.

Another way to think about it is time: I don't have time to make a repair twice, but a young kid has more time. If he has to perform the rebuild again just to install a new gasket in 6 months, that's fine. What's that quote about having more money than time, or more time than money? It's probably as simple as that

Unread 07-05-2010, 07:29 AM   #17
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Should I be concerned with the rust that is inside the ports? Most of it has been wiped out. A friend of mine told me that it means water got down the carb. Not sure if the picture is helpful... I couldn't get a good one!
img_3059_1.jpg  

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2010, 07:36 AM   #18
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken4444 View Post
Maybe it's not directly about the money, but about learnning what it costs to repair a vehicle correctly. It's understandable that he wants the bling of a shiny engine (we all want that), but part of the cost is not re-using old gaskets. $30 for paint and supplies is only part of the cost. How many stories have we read here about peoples' shortcuts costing time and money down the road? So maybe he needs to feel the pain of paving to buy a new gasket. Gaskets are generally inexpensive, right? I know 'inexpensive' is a relative term, but every Jeep owner would generally pay the same price for a gasket, therefore to own a Jeep and keep it repaired means you have to exist in the same league as the other Jeep owners. Maybe you explain to him why it's desireable to use a new gasket and then let him make the call.

Another way to think about it is time: I don't have time to make a repair twice, but a young kid has more time. If he has to perform the rebuild again just to install a new gasket in 6 months, that's fine. What's that quote about having more money than time, or more time than money? It's probably as simple as that
If Thomas Jefferson had a Jeep, he would have said that! Good advice. Thanks, Ken.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Unread 07-05-2010, 07:37 AM   #19
Exposed

1981 CJ5 

Skerr, great seeing you start a thread... From all the observing other builds over the last couple of months, should give you plenty of ideas on what path to take... Will enjoy seeing you and your son's build......
81 CJ5, Ford 331 EFI, AX15, D-300, Dana 44 (Detroit Locker)....

When there are more people voting for a living than working for a living,
We are DONE as a Country!!!!!!

Newly Acquired 2014 Grand Cherokee Summit
Exposed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2010, 09:48 AM   #20
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exposed View Post
Skerr, great seeing you start a thread... From all the observing other builds over the last couple of months, should give you plenty of ideas on what path to take... Will enjoy seeing you and your son's build......
Calvin, Thanks. You are certainly right about the available ideas. This will end up as a hybrid cross between you, Dave and Mike! Gonna have to think of a name!! Cal-Da-Mi... Da-Cal-Mi... Dami-Cal!

Unread 07-05-2010, 09:58 AM   #21
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Clay degreasing the block with a spray bottle of Purple Power. This stuff will do strange things to your skin, so wear gloves!

I think I got excited and shot the black to the head and valve cover already. Clay is masking off those areas in prep for the silver. All my life (nearly 50) I have wanted to do this. It is finally happening. Thanks, Clay.

Tape!! Is Our Friend! It can do ALL things! I like tape...

Clay shooting the Rustoleum. It is Aluminum high-temp paint. It is NOT the same as the metallic on the tranny. We'll see how close they come when they are joined.

Voila!
degrease_1.jpg   masking_1.jpg   taping_1.jpg   spraying_1.jpg   tape-removal_1.jpg  

Unread 07-05-2010, 10:11 AM   #22
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

He wanted a red fan... maybe a red valve cover. I actually kind of like the red fan! We have more to do but you get the idea...
fan-prep_1.jpg   img_3061_1.jpg   img_3062_1.jpg  

Unread 07-05-2010, 02:00 PM   #23
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Momma said that I have to spend time with the other boys, too! I've got four of them and it does get hard evenly spreading the time around. So the two little ones wanted to catch a fish... I have an old friend with a small farm pond where the bass just beg for plastic worms! It was good to get out.

Now back to the Jeep!
img_3067_1.jpg   img_3068_1.jpg   img_3066_1.jpg  

Unread 07-05-2010, 05:14 PM   #24
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Exhaust manifold

Dave commented about replacing the gasket between the intake and exhaust manifolds. I decided to do it, and I'm glad that I did. I found one bolt broken off, and I broke the other (circled in red)! How can I correctly repair this? What should I expect in the process? In the past when trying to drill out broken bolts, I have found that it takes a long time to do it, and I usually get off center. Can I drill all the way through and use a bolt with nut, or do I have to stay with the threads?

Thanks
img_3095_1.jpg  

Unread 07-05-2010, 07:05 PM   #25
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

^^^^Answered my own questions... drilled it out on the drill press. The bolt that I broke drilled easily. The original broken bolt was much harder and took two bits! But I got 'er done! Hit the manifold with the wire wheel and cleaned it up. Wire wheeling with shorts isn't the smartest thing I've done! Anyway, the manifold needs to be degreased and it is ready for paint.

The MC2100 isn't going to be linked to the manifold prewarming valve (?). Not sure I called the name correctly... will it stay in the open position or do I need to ensure that it will?

Thanks

Unread 07-05-2010, 07:36 PM   #26
1983 CJ7 

Personally I like Clay's choice on the fan, it makes a statement ..."point that finger at me again Bubba and I will chew it off"

Seriously though, nice contrast with the silver and black.

Nice LMB, looks like the boys had fun
Unread 07-08-2010, 07:53 PM   #27
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Oh Crap! Now what do I do?

Clay's engine has been sitting for many months. Since we found rust inside the intake ports I decided to try and turn the engine by hand. I pulled the plugs and found corrosion on most of them. I got out a 1/2" drive ratchet and put it on the crank pulley. All I ended up doing is tightening the bolt! So I then thought to spray some Blaster down each cylinder. I wanted a "straw" to shoot the Blaster inside the cylinders so as not to get it all over the freshly painted block. While spraying through the straw into the cylinder the straw flew off and went INSIDE THE CYLINDER! Now what do I do?? Do I HAVE to pull the head? I was not planning to do all that. CRAP! Need help...
corrosion_1.jpg  

Unread 07-08-2010, 08:11 PM   #28
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Try taking a drinking straw and a fish hook with the line fed through it. Stick it through the spark plug hole and try to hook the small straw with the fish hook, pull the line so the hook pinches the small straw into the drinking straw. Pull them both out as one assembly. Picture a dog catchers noose.

Does that make sense? Not sure how else to explain it. Not sure if that will work but it's the first idea that popped into my head. If you can get the crank to turn, getting that piston higher in the cylinder may help. You may even be able to get it with some needle nose pliers if you can get that piston to TDC. Good Luck!

PS. I also dig the contrast of the red fan.
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2010, 08:25 PM   #29
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Short of holding the engine upside down and shaking the straw out, you'll have to extract it. I like the dog catcher's noose idea.

You could get a Shop Vac and somehow find a smaller diameter hose. Feed that into the engine and see if you can suck the straw out. Be sure to start with a clean Shop Vac so you can check to see if the red straw is actually removed from the engine.

It reminds me of the time when I took my 1986 Isuzu Trooper to the car wash / oil change place to get the oil changed. The guy was about to refill the oil and pulled the oil hose down from the ceiling. He set the dial for 5 quarts and started to insert the filler tube into the oil fill hole which was on the valve cover. At that moment, the nozzle on the end of the fill tube fell off and dropped off into the valve cover.

I had to wait about 3 hours while they obtained a new gasket and pulled the valve cover to retrieve the nozzle.

After that, I learned to change my own oil.
Unread 07-08-2010, 08:42 PM   #30
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiz View Post
Try taking a drinking straw and a fish hook with the line fed through it. Stick it through the spark plug hole and try to hook the small straw with the fish hook, pull the line so the hook pinches the small straw into the drinking straw. Pull them both out as one assembly. Picture a dog catchers noose.

Does that make sense? Not sure how else to explain it. Not sure if that will work but it's the first idea that popped into my head. If you can get the crank to turn, getting that piston higher in the cylinder may help. You may even be able to get it with some needle nose pliers if you can get that piston to TDC. Good Luck!

PS. I also dig the contrast of the red fan.
I'm going to have to try this just due to the sheer creativity of it! I would never have thunk of it. I understand your concept and I'll try and execute tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken4444 View Post
Short of holding the engine upside down and shaking the straw out, you'll have to extract it. I like the dog catcher's noose idea.

You could get a Shop Vac and somehow find a smaller diameter hose. Feed that into the engine and see if you can suck the straw out. Be sure to start with a clean Shop Vac so you can check to see if the red straw is actually removed from the engine.

It reminds me of the time when I took my 1986 Isuzu Trooper to the car wash / oil change place to get the oil changed. The guy was about to refill the oil and pulled the oil hose down from the ceiling. He set the dial for 5 quarts and started to insert the filler tube into the oil fill hole which was on the valve cover. At that moment, the nozzle on the end of the fill tube fell off and dropped off into the valve cover.

I had to wait about 3 hours while they obtained a new gasket and pulled the valve cover to retrieve the nozzle.

After that, I learned to change my own oil.
MADE ME LAUGH! Thanks... that is EXACTLY my first thought. The shop vac is also a viable idea... one I did not think of but can do. Tough about the Trooper. I have used oil change places for years. It was worth it to me to pay $25 to get it done and not hassle with waste oil. Now it is $50 and I do it myself again.

I should make a note that I was unable to turn the motor. Should I pull harder???

Thanks Guys...

Tags
1979 , cj5 , fiberglass , rollcage , tailgate

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.