Clay's Build Thread - Page 177 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Clay's Build Thread

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 03-14-2012, 06:24 PM   #2641
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

That's great news. Congrats to Jake.

Bill

1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2012, 06:56 PM   #2642
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John87 View Post
i spy with my little eye a harbor freight tool run!

looking good so far!
rear ends scare me
No reason to be intimidated by a nice rearend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoC View Post
Congrats!!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucdog View Post
That's great news. Congrats to Jake.

Bill
Thanks, Guys. Cake and presents are done. Thought we'd be longer. I got Paul's parts in the mail today so I should be setting up the JEEP rearend tomorrow. Keep your fingers crossed!

A couple more fun pics. The swing...
100_2415_1.jpg   100_2420_1.jpg   100_2421_1.jpg  

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2012, 08:21 PM   #2643
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Nice job Jake!!

We used to jump out of the swing on the way back when I was a kid. Hurt sometimes too!!

Hey Scott I sent you a dvd on setting up ring and pinions. You should see it before Saturday.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2012, 04:46 PM   #2644
Gido
1980 CJ7 

Scott, great news about Jake. my wife and brother both graduated from UF and would recommend it to anyone. on another note here is some visual encouragement. almost done! working on the getting the vibration out of the rear drive shaft.
img_1103.jpg   img_1102.jpg  

in memory of Jimmy Smith - a wise man
Gido is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2012, 05:05 PM   #2645
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

Been awfully quiet today Scott.... does that mean the 20 is done or my torque wrench is in Suwannee?
Unread 03-15-2012, 07:23 PM   #2646
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gido View Post
Scott, great news about Jake. my wife and brother both graduated from UF and would recommend it to anyone. on another note here is some visual encouragement. almost done! working on the getting the vibration out of the rear drive shaft.
Bad to the Bone, Gido. Hey, I'm off the 3rd through 9th if you can find time to come this way!! I really like that step bumper. Considered that myself. may do it yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VACJ7 View Post
Been awfully quiet today Scott.... does that mean the 20 is done or my torque wrench is in Suwannee?
You mean that lil baby torque wrench? How do you even hold that little thing in your hand?! Honestly, Paul, I can't throw that far! I assume you had to adapt up to 1/2" drive? I had to work late tonight, so no rearend work. Hopefully tomorrow. I keep going through everything you guys have told me, and it has been real easy so far. I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop! Weather has been in the mid-80s, and I keep thinking I need to get busy with paint while it is warm and dry. Too, too much to do.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Unread 03-15-2012, 07:33 PM   #2647
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

Yeah, I had to use 2 adpaters. 1/4 to 3/8 to 1/2
Unread 03-15-2012, 11:25 PM   #2648
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr

Bad to the Bone, Gido. Hey, I'm off the 3rd through 9th if you can find time to come this way!! I really like that step bumper. Considered that myself. may do it yet.

so no rearend work......

Weather has been in the mid-80's.
I've seen you in your pictures. You need more than rear end work, like a frame off. Hahaha.

81* in central Il. Today.

Bill
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
2005 TJ Rubicon.
Unread 03-16-2012, 04:00 PM   #2649
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucdog View Post
I've seen you in your pictures. You need more than rear end work, like a frame off. Hahaha.

81* in central Il. Today.

Bill
THAT's what you were talking about!?!?

Unread 03-16-2012, 04:42 PM   #2650
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

Well thar goes the neighborhood, jus what we need more dang Gators!
gmakra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2012, 08:43 PM   #2651
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmakra View Post
Well thar goes the neighborhood, jus what we need more dang Gators!
Gaturs ez funn!

Unread 03-16-2012, 09:14 PM   #2652
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

I have been on a 3-day high! Not a chemical high, but a "good day" high. Don't know why things are going so well for me. My family can't buy a vowel... we've been sick, on and off, this entire new year. Little guy has 104* temp, next little guy has 103*, wifey was 103* yesterday, and CRANKY!!

So I went straight to the shop when I got home, and got to work on Clay's differential. I took some pics as I was going with the intent of showing "how to do it", but you just can't take pics when you're doing this kind of work. I have some that I can share. To all you Noobs... if you are contemplating setting up your own rearend, gearchange , lunchbox locker install, don't be scared. It takes time, but if you have the motivation you CAN do this.

Starting with the stripped down AMC20 diff housing. Axles are removed. I have cleaned it up with brake cleaner, and it is spotless... except for a little rust!

These are the setup bearings that Paul sent me. He told me I could modify them if I needed to, but I decided I would make my own, as I have another CJ waiting in the wings.

I'm going to shave this race down a little at a time. I have this big 'ol floor sander, so it wasn't any work at all, but I still went slow and made lots of trips back and forth. When I was done, my race was easily tapped into place.

Finished product- I did this with both races on the pinion shaft. You don't do this for the carrier.

This is a 3.54 pinion sent to me by Bill. I am using the large bearing that is on the shaft. I have a reason for that, knowing that new bearings would be the *best* thing to do. This is the crush sleeve that was in Bill's Jeep, but I am using Paul's small setup bearing, as it slides smoothly onto the pinion shaft.

Setup races installed

Pinion installed

Using my *NEW* Handy Dandy HF "Professional" impact to tighten down the pinion nut. You probably DON'T want to do this with your final setup and a new crush sleeve.

Using Paul's itty bitty 1/4" drive beam-type torque wrench. I want 14-16 inch-pounds of rotational force to turn the pinion shaft. This necessary force is called preload. Preload is created by the tightness of the pinion nut, forcing the bearing into the race.

Need to tighten it down some more.

Yiles! Clay making a cheater bar...

I couldn't put enough preload on the pinion without the cheater bar. When it came down to it, all I did was lift Clay and the axle off the table. I could not tighten the nut down anymore. I pulled the pinion back out and installed an additional shim behind the large race. Forgot to mention shims... I reinstalled the same shim back onto the pinion that came off of it. It had one fairly thick shim behind the large race. I have just now added another shim... .0075 ( the smallest in the set) to be able to create the proper preload. This was a SWAG, and nothing but a SWAG. Doesn't take much to make a big difference.

I installed the carrier making sure to keep the races matched to the bearings. In other words, don't mix them up. I had to use a dead-blow hammer to tap the carrier in, driving it in by striking the bearing races. Be careful not to bend the shims. Torqued to 50 FT/LBS.

Checking backlash with my *NEW* Handy Dandy HF Dial-Indicator (base sold separately). Bill had to talk me through this one, as I have never used a dial-indicator!

Another angle of how I set up the indicator.

Right at 8.5 thousands (?). Bill says between 6 and 10, preferrably at 8. Pretty dang good for a first-timer! Could I get away this easy? Stay tuned. Gear marking compound tomorrow...

Thanks to Paul and Bill who has made this whole thing possible. I hope everybody is well for spring break on the 3rd!

Unread 03-16-2012, 09:31 PM   #2653
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

First off.... why you gotta make fun of my tiny torque wrench? You are not using Bill's old crush sleeve in there during setup are you? If you are, that is why you were having a hard time getting the preload. You do not need it in there for setup. You sure about that rotational torque setting? I thought it was 20-30 in-lbs? I kinda remember shooting for 25 during setup and final and ended up around 22 I think and stopped. During final install go SLOW with the crush sleeve.

Doing good Scott... keep it rolling.
Unread 03-16-2012, 09:33 PM   #2654
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

This was a SWAG, and nothing but a SWAG. I guess that would make me, Bill "S" lucdog.

I like O'Billy better.

Bill

Its RBF time next week, yummy
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
Unread 03-16-2012, 09:41 PM   #2655
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
Using my *NEW* Handy Dandy HF "Professional" impact to tighten down the pinion nut. You probably DON'T want to do this with your final setup and a new crush sleeve.
Scott, Scott, Scott.... you don't really think that itty bitty impact wrench is gonna make a dent in that crush sleeve do you?

Tags
1979 , cj5 , fiberglass , rollcage , tailgate

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.