Clay's Build Thread - Page 155 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Clay's Build Thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 01-24-2012, 04:35 PM   #2311
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

I would really like to know what kind of pipe/tube this stuff is.
Don't feel bad George, I got it.
We know its not DOM. Call the steel guy and get the proper name.
Bill

1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2012, 04:38 PM   #2312
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

OK Skipper a guy runs into a bar and goes up to the bar tender and say I heard this really great Polish joke.
The bar tender looks at him and says I'm Polish the big guy to the right of you is Polish and the even bigger guy to the right of you is Polish.

The guy say OK OK Ill take it real slow!

Scotty the term pipe is loosely used for any round metal, this is not an issue most of the time. In your case the HB pipe bender is meant for pipe AKA water pipe. This means it will bend water pipe all day long and pipe is measured inside diameter so 1 1/2" inch pipe will always be 1 1/2" inside and typically 1.900" inches on the outside diameter. That means your bending shoe is designed for 1.900 inches (almost 2 inches).

The stuff you bought is tubing (ERW electric resistance welded tubing)and if you measure the outside diameter it is 1 1/2" if you compare that tubing you are trying to bend to a piece of 1 1/2" water pipe and you will see what I am talking about. There is .400 thousand of an inch difference or slightly larger than 3/8 of an inch!!!!

Your tubing is collapsing in the die (AKA shoe) and kinking because its the wrong die and Harbor Freight does not have the correct dies cause they dont make them.

That is why I said get a piece of 1 1/2 IMC which is 1 /12" inside diameter and it is 1.833" (just slightly smaller than water pipe) cut piece about a foot long then cut the tubing in half lenght wise.

Now take that IMC and place it over the tubing you want to bend. Place the IMC so it is in contact with the bending shoe then bend.

You have now made a shim that will make up the difference from your water pipe die so that you can bend your tubing with out kinking it.

That shim should last a few bends maybe even a long time.

Got it?
gmakra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2012, 04:42 PM   #2313
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Just looked at the fab section again. thats not pipe, its some kind of tube.

maybe ERW.

Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2012, 04:52 PM   #2314
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

Bill OMG if Skipper was building Noahs Arc the world would look much different today!
Unread 01-24-2012, 04:57 PM   #2315
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmakra View Post
OK Skipper a guy runs into a bar and goes up to the bar tender and say I heard this really great Polish joke.
The bar tender looks at him and says I'm Polish the big guy to the right of you is Polish and the even bigger guy to the right of you is Polish.

The guy say OK OK Ill take it real slow!

Scotty the term pipe is loosely used for any round metal, this is not an issue most of the time. In your case the HB pipe bender is meant for pipe AKA water pipe. This means it will bend water pipe all day long and pipe is measured inside diameter so 1 1/2" inch pipe will always be 1 1/2" inside and typically 1.900" inches on the outside diameter. That means your bending shoe is designed for 1.900 inches (almost 2 inches).

The stuff you bought is tubing (ERW electric resistance welded tubing)and if you measure the outside diameter it is 1 1/2" if you compare that tubing you are trying to bend to a piece of 1 1/2" water pipe and you will see what I am talking about. There is .400 thousand of an inch difference or slightly larger than 3/8 of an inch!!!!

Your tubing is collapsing in the die (AKA shoe) and kinking because its the wrong die and Harbor Freight does not have the correct dies cause they dont make them.

That is why I said get a piece of 1 1/2 IMC which is 1 /12" inside diameter and it is 1.833" (just slightly smaller than water pipe) cut piece about a foot long then cut the tubing in half lenght wise.

Now take that IMC and place it over the tubing you want to bend. Place the IMC so it is in contact with the bending shoe then bend.

You have now made a shim that will make up the difference from your water pipe die so that you can bend your tubing with out kinking it.

That shim should last a few bends maybe even a long time.

Got it?
Ahh, George... you are Beautiful, Baby!! That is so understandable, and so perfectly said, that even BILL could get it! The Pollocks just cracked me up!!!! What was the rest of the stuff you were talking about?

I got it. The OD is 1.51"; ID is 1.33"; sidewall is .10". ERW... GOT IT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucdog View Post
Just looked at the fab section again. thats not pipe, its some kind of tube.

maybe ERW.

Bill
So you guys don't have to go back and forth, here are some pics. I had deleted them before, and I had to get new ones!

The upper rollers of the bender do not align with the shoe. And when all else fails, weigh the pigs!
img_6076_1.jpg   img_6077_1.jpg   img_6079_1.jpg   img_6080_1.jpg   img_6063_1.jpg  

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2012, 05:03 PM   #2316
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

I LoVE Licorice...

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Unread 01-24-2012, 05:10 PM   #2317
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

The roller will shift under pressure its not a big deal. The die is too big.
Unread 01-24-2012, 05:24 PM   #2318
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
The roller will shift under pressure its not a big deal. The die is too big.
Where do I get IMC? The Big City is, like, an hour and a half away!! We have Lowes, Ace Hardware, and one specialty plumbing shop.

Unread 01-24-2012, 05:26 PM   #2319
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

Do you have a electrical supply house around? If not try Lowes or Home Depot and see if they can order you a 10 foot stick.
Unread 01-24-2012, 05:28 PM   #2320
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Do you have a electrical supply house around? If not try Lowes or Home Depot and see if they can order you a 10 foot stick.
r-r-r-r-roger-r-r-r-r-r... we do have City Electric. Thanks Prof...

Unread 01-24-2012, 06:25 PM   #2321
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

That set of dies must be for something over 2" Scott, maybe even bigger and that's why your material caved in like that. Anytime you do something and have problems always rule out what you know is right first.
1. You are using material that can be bent into the shape you need.
2. The tool you're using is wrong for what you have but if you had the right dies it would likely work.

Something else I'd say would help is if you grease those rollers so they can turn as the material bends. The less friction you have the better and easier the bend goes. When you get the right dies concentrate on making a bend of 90 degrees. Take your time and check it even before the bend is complete, just mark the material in relation to the main die so that it goes back to the same place, which it tends to do anyway but the less variables you have the better. Just take it slow and it'll come to you. It overwhelmed me at first too but after you figure some basic things out you'll be amazed how simple it really is. Oh and quit getting mad at yourself, I can see you doing that my friend.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2012, 09:11 PM   #2322
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
That set of dies must be for something over 2" Scott, maybe even bigger and that's why your material caved in like that. Anytime you do something and have problems always rule out what you know is right first.
1. You are using material that can be bent into the shape you need.
2. The tool you're using is wrong for what you have but if you had the right dies it would likely work.

Something else I'd say would help is if you grease those rollers so they can turn as the material bends. The less friction you have the better and easier the bend goes. When you get the right dies concentrate on making a bend of 90 degrees. Take your time and check it even before the bend is complete, just mark the material in relation to the main die so that it goes back to the same place, which it tends to do anyway but the less variables you have the better. Just take it slow and it'll come to you. It overwhelmed me at first too but after you figure some basic things out you'll be amazed how simple it really is. Oh and quit getting mad at yourself, I can see you doing that my friend.
Thanks Ol Buddy! With all the help you guys are giving me I'm confident that I will figure this out. If not, I'm going to fly George down here!!

Wife and son were sitting at the kitchen table when my son said, "There's something BIG in our yard!" So Mom looked and hollered, "The pigs are out!" Understand that we are a small island in a sea of woods inhabited by wild hogs and much other game. I always figured if the hogs ever got out that the best I could hope for would be a genetic gain in the wild population. In other words, we'd never see them again, and some lucky Yahoo would get some prime meat in his freezer. Would you believe those crazy hogs came right to the porch door!? Beth opened the screen door and they walked right on to the porch. I was able to hook up our little homemade stock trailer and get them loaded. They are safe for the night until I can repair the pen tomorrow. What a blessing. These are the hogs my two youngest will show in the fair in April.
100_2209_1.jpg   100_2213_1.jpg   100_2216_1.jpg  

Unread 01-24-2012, 09:45 PM   #2323
cjdogtoy
1976 CJ5 

I smell bacon!!!
cjdogtoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2012, 03:53 AM   #2324
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

Where Petunia?
Unread 01-25-2012, 07:22 AM   #2325
Jeepican
1976 CJ5 

LOL .....you might be a redneck........... Does he show pigs or is that just meat?
Edit: OOps just saw that part...... Good luck!

"Oh, you're just full of fun today, aren't you? Why don't we go up to the old people's home and wax the steps?"
-Barney Fife-
Jeepican is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
1979 , cj5 , fiberglass , rollcage , tailgate

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.