Clay's Build Thread - Page 154 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Clay's Build Thread

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 01-18-2012, 06:11 PM   #2296
1983 CJ7 

73-87

Unread 01-18-2012, 07:29 PM   #2297
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
73-87

Nice looking truck Dave, was it yours?
pickups changed in 88, the others in 91. There ought to be a bunch in non salt states.

Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2012, 10:37 PM   #2298
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
IIIIIIIIII haaaaaaad toooooooooo reeeeeaaaaad thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiissssss sloooooooooooooow. Nowwwwwwwwww IIIIIIIIIIIIII geeeeeeeet iiiiiiiiiiiittttttttt!
That's good, 'cause I typed it real slow, too...

Rich

There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
rixcj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2012, 11:18 PM   #2299
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Dang, now I gotta look at Chevy lights for MY Jeep! That would look so cool. Why don't you mean old guys leave me alone!?

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2012, 05:13 PM   #2300
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

$#@&!*%#@!

Crushing pipe today. Not even good enough for a wind chime!

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Unread 01-23-2012, 06:03 PM   #2301
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr
$#@&!*%#@!

Crushing pipe today. Not even good enough for a wind chime!
Ok what happend.

Bill
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
2005 TJ Rubicon.
Unread 01-23-2012, 08:57 PM   #2302
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucdog View Post
Ok what happend.

Bill
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/n...d-cat-1317952/

Unread 01-23-2012, 09:11 PM   #2303
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

The only thing I can think of is, be it standard black or galvanized, is its a different makeup. Not designed to bend like that, at least not that much of a radius.

I'm guessing this is a practice piece, and if that's the case, pick up a 1.5" or 2" emt. And work with that for practice.

Bill
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
Unread 01-23-2012, 09:27 PM   #2304
cjdogtoy
1976 CJ5 

Just get AJ to show you a bend or two and see what the secret of that bender is. hang in there.
cjdogtoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2012, 09:29 PM   #2305
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucdog View Post
The only thing I can think of is, be it standard black or galvanized, is its a different makeup. Not designed to bend like that, at least not that much of a radius.

I'm guessing this is a practice piece, and if that's the case, pick up a 1.5" or 2" emt. And work with that for practice.

Bill
The tightest bend I'll need to make is a 90*. I didn't even get to that! Guess I'll try packing it with sand and see how that works. What a PITA!

I was expecting some screw ups, but more like bending at the wrong place. Not kinking. The die is a 1 1/2" die, and I'm using 1 1/2" pipe. Should work!

AJ used this thing to build the cages in his race cars over the years. He said it'd been so long since he used it there wasn't a lot he could tell me... I would have to figure it out. He DID help me with figuring out the radius, adding and subtracting. The piece I ruined was intended to be used!! I was going to go slow... measure twice, cut once... you know? I was questioning my skill, not the machine. I learned my unknown skill is greater than the machine!

Unread 01-23-2012, 09:36 PM   #2306
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

Scott, have you seen this modification? Makes sense to me, but not sure AJ would want you drilling a hole in his die.

Unread 01-23-2012, 10:00 PM   #2307
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VACJ7 View Post
Scott, have you seen this modification? Makes sense to me, but not sure AJ would want you drilling a hole in his die.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlSnVSrWg0M
NEW HOPE!! Thanks, Paul. I'll get with AJ this week and see what he says.

Unread 01-24-2012, 04:24 AM   #2308
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

Skipper the problem is that you are using a HF pipe bender to bend tubing. Pipe is measured ID or inside diameter and tubing is measured in OD or outside diameter. The reason for this is pipe conveys a fluid, gas or semi soild and the diameter is a constant for flow. Pipe wall thickness will grow on the outside but the ID will remain constant. Tubing on the other hand is a structural member and is measure in OD and if you get thicker tubing it will grow on the inside the OD will remain constant.

Bending requires that your bending shoe (die) is a tight fit other wise it will always kink. And if you have ever tried bending conduit you will know what I mean. Using a 3/4 inch bender to bend 1/2 pipe rarely works and results in kinked or folded tubing which is frustrating and can get expensive.

Now I see what the guy in the video is doing and all I can say is that it is hit or miss. So you will kink some pipe.

I do like the idea of a shim for the die and that might work. What size tubing are you trying to bend Skipper?
What you could try is measure the outside diameter of your tubing and then see what the diffence is. Divide the difference in half and try to find anything that is close to the difference. I would look at EMT first and then make a trip down to your metal guy and see what he has. Cut the tubing in half and slip that over the tubing your gonna bend and see if that makes a difference. Also a lite coat of grease on the dies does help a bit.
gmakra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2012, 12:41 PM   #2309
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

Scotty OK i did some checking and IMC (intermidate conduit can be gotten from a electrical supply house not Lowes or Home Depot) will work as a shim in your bending shoes. The OD of IMC is the same OD as the moninal pipe size you are using. The ID will be the same as your tubing so cut the IMC in half and slip it over the first piece of tubing your going to bend. Make the bend with the IMC as a shim with your tubing once the IMC is bent leave it in the die for future bends.

FYI the 11/2 and 2 inch should be pretty close.
gmakra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2012, 03:36 PM   #2310
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmakra View Post
Skipper the problem is that you are using a HF pipe bender to bend tubing. Pipe is measured ID or inside diameter and tubing is measured in OD or outside diameter. The reason for this is pipe conveys a fluid, gas or semi soild and the diameter is a constant for flow. Pipe wall thickness will grow on the outside but the ID will remain constant. Tubing on the other hand is a structural member and is measure in OD and if you get thicker tubing it will grow on the inside the OD will remain constant.

Bending requires that your bending shoe (die) is a tight fit other wise it will always kink. And if you have ever tried bending conduit you will know what I mean. Using a 3/4 inch bender to bend 1/2 pipe rarely works and results in kinked or folded tubing which is frustrating and can get expensive.

Now I see what the guy in the video is doing and all I can say is that it is hit or miss. So you will kink some pipe.

I do like the idea of a shim for the die and that might work. What size tubing are you trying to bend Skipper?
What you could try is measure the outside diameter of your tubing and then see what the diffence is. Divide the difference in half and try to find anything that is close to the difference. I would look at EMT first and then make a trip down to your metal guy and see what he has. Cut the tubing in half and slip that over the tubing your gonna bend and see if that makes a difference. Also a lite coat of grease on the dies does help a bit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmakra View Post
Scotty OK i did some checking and IMC (intermidate conduit can be gotten from a electrical supply house not Lowes or Home Depot) will work as a shim in your bending shoes. The OD of IMC is the same OD as the moninal pipe size you are using. The ID will be the same as your tubing so cut the IMC in half and slip it over the first piece of tubing your going to bend. Make the bend with the IMC as a shim with your tubing once the IMC is bent leave it in the die for future bends.

FYI the 11/2 and 2 inch should be pretty close.
George- You blew past me so fast I couldn't hear what you said!!

Slow down please and talk like I am impaired! I am using 1 1/2" PIPE, not tubing. I know it is pipe because the owner of the steel yard told me so. He does not stock DOM. This pipe is what all the race car drivers use (roundy round drivers) for their cages. It has a welded seam right down the middle. I am also using the 1 1/2" shoe. I know this because it says so on the side of the shoe. It DOES seem large, however. Maybe I should try a smaller shoe??

I will measure ID and OD so you have something to compare. Been waiting for your input, Geo. Don't be so slow next time! I could have had this DONE by now...

Tags
1979 , cj5 , fiberglass , rollcage , tailgate

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.