Clay's Build Thread - Page 15 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Clay's Build Thread

Zone Offroad Body and Suspension Lift Kits, Brackets, DiscBilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and CStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 08-11-2010, 09:38 PM   #211
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

I acquired a Bachelor's Degree in Animal Science and Industrial Technology back in 85. I cowboyed around the SE (which I loved but glad I don't do it today) until a private company hired me out of the cattle industry and into farming. I never looked back... it was great. My kids have been raised in a southern, rural atmosphere where you repect God and your parents! Animals have always been a part of my life, hence it is theirs. One day, my boys may choose something else, since they have all proven to be academic (thank God because none of them can play ball!). But I know they have been prepared for much of what life will throw at them. At this point in life for me, it's all about preparing your children.

This program for Clay is called "Hog and Ham". It is a University of Florida/IFAS 4-H Extension program. He bought the pig, raised it, fed it, doctored it, kept cost statements, depreciated his pen materials, and after slaughter they will grade the carcass. He has 189# of pork hanging there!! Having been a county ag agent, once upon a time, my kids got deeply involved in 4-H. It is an awesome program for kids of all ages, and it is available through the Land Grant University (your state college) in your state. There are many programs, besides agriculture, for boys and girls, from sewing to shooting sports. Check it out...

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2010, 09:44 PM   #212
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Continued Jeep Interlude.... off topic

BOUGHT!
Pacesetter die set for .38, .357, and .9MM.

1# Hodgdon's Varget Rifle powder

1000 CCI Large Rifle primers

50 Barnes SST 120gr bullets in .7MM Remington Magnum

Should be here Saturday.

there goes the clutch for my 7...

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Unread 08-12-2010, 06:57 AM   #213
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

It didn't surprise me to see the pig in your thread. I knew what kind of guy you were when I saw the picture of the CJ back seat with the steel post driver laying on it We are kindred spirits my friend.

Scott your comments on getting your kids ready for adult life are what I wished all parents would get.

If you haven't gotten the shifter pin yet I've got 2 extra, pm me your mailing address and I'll send them to you if you want them.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2010, 04:49 PM   #214
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Clay made a second trip to Gainesville today to cut meat. Here are some pics of the operation. Clay trimming meat, making chops, and stuffing sausage. He'll go back in a few weeks when the sausage is ready... it's being smoked by UF. He came home with 35# of bacon...Mmmm!
img_3275_1.jpg   img_3279_1.jpg   img_3294_1.jpg  

Unread 08-12-2010, 06:36 PM   #215
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Does Clay know what they used to use for stuffing sausage in back before we got all sanitized? 35# of bacon, Nothing better than home grown meat!!!

My build thread
Unread 08-12-2010, 08:56 PM   #216
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
Does Clay know what they used to use for stuffing sausage in back before we got all sanitized? 35# of bacon, Nothing better than home grown meat!!!
LOL! Yeah, he knows...

I have to give a plug to Morris 4X4. I bought some parts for Clay's rig and they sent the wrong bushings and shift lever pin... about $30. They contacted me via e-mail when I asked for return instructions, trying to void paying the return S&H, and they told me to keep the parts and credited my CC. Nice of them to do that...

Thank You Morris

Unread 08-15-2010, 06:53 PM   #217
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Clay an I got his frame loaded on the trailer this afternoon. It barely fit!The owner of the shop told me he could have it done in a day if I could drop it off early. I have to haul it to work then drop it off on the way home. So I expect to have it back Tuesday afternoon. With the frame out of the shop I have tons of room. I bought some fiberglass mat so we can start on the body. We're ready to start the dash resto and the front clip. If there is a down side, it is that I won't have "extra" room in the shop for long!

Our thread has been pretty lifeless these last few days with nothing of importance to report. So here's a pic of Clay's frame on the trailer. Note*- The Valspar implement paint did not bond to the lacquer primer. The paint dried hard but it scrapes right off. I don't think we're going to take it down to metal again. It is what it is...

And we attended the birthday of an old friend who turned 75 today. He and his wife have been very good to us over the years. He is a shooter and wheels and deals in firearms. Here is a nifty little shooting rest for you guys who shoot.
img_3329_1.jpg   dowel-base.jpg   ramp.jpg   split-ramp.jpg   organize.jpg  

Unread 08-15-2010, 06:56 PM   #218
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Here are the final pics of the shooting rest. Clay and I built it in about 45 minutes from scrap materials. It was birthday present!
mock-up.jpg   test-fit.jpg   rest.jpg  

Unread 08-15-2010, 07:01 PM   #219
jcal73
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

GUNS, MEAT, AND JEEPS

GOTTA LOVE IT!!!!

Jeff
jcal73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2010, 08:18 PM   #220
1983 CJ7 

That is a neat idea for a rest!

When I took my frame to the car wash I did not trust the tie straps after breaking a half dozen trailering my atv to the farm. I took a piece of 1.5" angle iron and drilled and bolted it across the top rail of the trailer and it worked great.

Unread 08-15-2010, 09:08 PM   #221
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

That's a great idea! I work at a prison and they don't like employees having things like rope in the back of your truck. I hope I don't get hollered at. I did ask permission last week, and I was told it would be okay. But your idea would have eliminated any chance for problems with the boss!

Unread 08-16-2010, 06:44 AM   #222
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

I could see one of those rest working good in the dear stand.

Hope the frame straightening works. We're ready for you guys to get back to work.

My build thread
Unread 08-16-2010, 06:02 PM   #223
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
I could see one of those rest working good in the dear stand.

Hope the frame straightening works. We're ready for you guys to get back to work.
Thanks, Jim. Dropped off the frame this afternoon. The guy felt that it would be no trick to get it right. I was very encouraged! If it gets scratched up while they work on it then I MAY wirewheel the black paint off and scuff the lacquer primer real good. Then paint it again out of shame!

Should pick it up on Thursday. He had two pickups ahead of me!

Unread 08-16-2010, 06:24 PM   #224
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
If it gets scratched up while they work on it then I MAY wirewheel the black paint off and scuff the lacquer primer real good. Then paint it again out of shame!
Should have used that POR you had sitting on the self.

Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2010, 07:49 PM   #225
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiz View Post
Should have used that POR you had sitting on the self.

Mike that icon made me laugh. Good one.

My build thread

Tags
1979 , cj5 , fiberglass , rollcage , tailgate

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.