Clay's Build Thread - Page 14 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Clay's Build Thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 08-09-2010, 03:11 PM   #196
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

[quote=Eaglekeeper;9928409]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
. NOTE* If you are installing lift springs for the first time ever, keep in mind that the springeye/bushings will tell you which is forward and rearward for the spring. They only go one way. If you are trimming bushings (like I did) then you have either the wrong bushings, or you have the springs oriented the wrong way.

Thanks for the tip. The last set of leaf springs I installed was on a 80 chevy shortbed in 1983. I'll order my new springs this week and now know a little more than I did yesterday.

On the frame, I'll have to agree with AJ. Seems like your best bet is the frame shop. You're not out of alignment much and should be a quick easy teak to straighten it out. Good luck.
I tend to say big things with little experience! Keep in mind, and I should have stated, that the springs I have experience with are the ones on my Jeep. They have a large springeye at one end... it fits into the spring hanger on the frame... NOT the shackle!

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2010, 08:53 PM   #197
1983 CJ7 

Did ya'll take it to the frame shop today?
Unread 08-09-2010, 09:41 PM   #198
Mark4883
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Skerr: Just wanted to comment that this is a well put together thread sir. Very entertaining and fun to watch. Awesome job with the pictures and posts so far.
Mark4883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2010, 04:43 PM   #199
FamillyCJ7
1983 CJ7 

Hey I'm wanting to go through the axles on mine. I know you are an hour + away from me. Would you be interested in helping me rebuild my front and rear axles like you and clay did? I want to replace to one piece axles in the rear, maybe a selectable locker and maybe a gear upgrade depending on what's in there now. I plan on doing a Mild Rebuild on the 258 and doing a Junkyard TBI swap. I want to run 35x12.50x15's and was wondering what gear ratio I should be looking at to keep it where I can roll 70mph easily. I was thinking of maybe a full time locker up front as well. Even though 4x4 won't be used much I'd rather beef up what I can now.... ya know?
Unread 08-10-2010, 04:45 PM   #200
FamillyCJ7
1983 CJ7 

And that guy has yet to get a hold of me. I don't think it's the frame you need though because he said it was pretty straight rails which would make it before '76. I've tried to get with him several times and I never get called back.
Unread 08-11-2010, 05:01 AM   #201
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Computer's been down and I gotta run for now... have a good day!

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Unread 08-11-2010, 04:50 PM   #202
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark4883 View Post
Skerr: Just wanted to comment that this is a well put together thread sir. Very entertaining and fun to watch. Awesome job with the pictures and posts so far.

Mark... much appreciated.

Unread 08-11-2010, 05:00 PM   #203
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamillyCJ7 View Post
Hey I'm wanting to go through the axles on mine. I know you are an hour + away from me. Would you be interested in helping me rebuild my front and rear axles like you and clay did? I want to replace to one piece axles in the rear, maybe a selectable locker and maybe a gear upgrade depending on what's in there now. I plan on doing a Mild Rebuild on the 258 and doing a Junkyard TBI swap. I want to run 35x12.50x15's and was wondering what gear ratio I should be looking at to keep it where I can roll 70mph easily. I was thinking of maybe a full time locker up front as well. Even though 4x4 won't be used much I'd rather beef up what I can now.... ya know?
Nick, I don't have that kind of knowledge. I have a friend that has a shop, and he let me help him put in my 1-pc axles! It wasn't all that difficult, especially if you make your living doing that kind of thing, but I wouldn't be comfortable trying to help with yours, as I have never done one on my own.

Unread 08-11-2010, 05:00 PM   #204
FamillyCJ7
1983 CJ7 

Keep up the good work. I'm air compressorless for a while until I can buy a new valve plate for mine.... lookin like around $200 for the valve plate and gaskets Still not bad, I'll only have $350 in a $3000+ air compressor.
Unread 08-11-2010, 05:17 PM   #205
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Well, now... my oldest son (remember, the lawn mower stunt driver!) downloaded a bunch of stuff yesterday that exceeded our maximum allowable limit, and we got booted from Hughesnet for 24 hours. I ended up talking to Beulah... in India... on a cell phone, to get our account reset! Thought I would have a coronary! Huh? What? Excuse me? No spikky inglish?? And Honey reminded me that Clay had to take his hog to the UF meatlab for a 4-H workshop that he signed up for. That meant that the trailer wasn't available to haul the frame to the shop! I can't take it tomorrow because I have a 4:00 meeting, even though I get off at 4:00! The good news is that I am once more connected to my National Jeep Hotline It looks like the frame is going on Monday afternoon, so to hold you over until then... here are some pics of Clay and Twinkie! I love Twinkies...
img_3220_1.jpg   img_3243_1.jpg   img_3268_1.jpg   img_3274_1.jpg  

Unread 08-11-2010, 05:24 PM   #206
SlikRic
Muddin Maniac

1983 CJ7 

I smell some good'ole southern pork ribs for dinner
SUICIDE
SlikRic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2010, 07:27 PM   #207
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

That third picture was a little shocker. Especially for my GF who happened to be looking over my shoulder at the time.

I like bacon!
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2010, 08:02 PM   #208
QuickCj

Annnnddd... there is a pig in your thread. Wasn't expecting it.
Thread looks good sir, I've been checking yours so I don't have to go through the same headaches.
QuickCj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2010, 08:20 PM   #209
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlikRic View Post
I smell some good'ole southern pork ribs for dinner
Gonna happen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiz View Post
That third picture was a little shocker. Especially for my GF who happened to be looking over my shoulder at the time.

I like bacon!
Apologies to the GF! Didn't think about that... but she doesn't think that bacon comes from the grocery store does she??

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickCj View Post
Annnnddd... there is a pig in your thread. Wasn't expecting it.
Thread looks good sir, I've been checking yours so I don't have to go through the same headaches.
Don't watch mine man... I'm watching yours!!

Unread 08-11-2010, 08:37 PM   #210
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiz View Post

I like bacon!
I think things like this are important to see, especially for 95% of people who think hamburger comes from a styrofoam tray at the grocery store. Okay, so people know where meat comes from, but how many people have ever set foot on a farm or a slaughterhouse or anything like that? I think people today are too separated from the places and processes that bring us our food.

Tags
1979 , cj5 , fiberglass , rollcage , tailgate

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.