Clay's Build Thread - Page 127 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Clay's Build Thread

6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREERuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 10-30-2011, 08:43 AM   #1891
Eaglekeeper
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
Hey Newbs... If you haven't seen the work that Jeff Scherb does, then check out his current thread. Everybody else should have a look at what he is creating now! In my opinion, of course...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/bo...r-kit-1274811/
x2 Scott. Wish I had a quarter of his skills and patience.

In between all the frivolity, have you tinkered with the tailgate to see how much work it will be? Props for the Star Wars references and costume

A ton more pics here.
[URL="http://s1038.photobucket.com/albums/a462/E9Eaglekeeper/"]http://s1038.photobucket.com/albums/a462/E9Eaglekeeper/[/URL]
Eaglekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2011, 09:35 AM   #1892
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

No, Wish I had a Scout... No, I was in the Boy Scouts up until I turned 22. Got my Eagle a month before turning 18, then I was in a organization that considered me a youth until I turned 21 (Vigil member of the Order Of The Arrow), but by then I was having a hard time with involvement from missing my father every camp after he passed, it just wasn't the same without him there since he was the Scoutmaster. Plus by then I was still in college full time, starting to date my now ex-wife, and also working full time.

Just looked over at that 'glass trailer link, and that is very nice! I only have an issue with a trailer being made of 'glass, but that only is because I use them kind of rough on a trailer, loading them with firewood, scrap metal, and other things that would be kinda damaging to a 'glass trailer.

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2011, 01:34 PM   #1893
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglekeeper View Post
x2 Scott. Wish I had a quarter of his skills and patience.

In between all the frivolity, have you tinkered with the tailgate to see how much work it will be? Props for the Star Wars references and costume
Hey Jody! I'd really like to have a tailgate, but there are a few things that are causing me to go around it. The BIGGEST reason is that I am very ready to paint this thing and start driving it. Doing the tailgate is going to extend the amount of time before I can paint. I'll have to reinforce the bottom of the tub for the hinges, create a frame with lock flanges, and find the right gate as the opening is only 13" tall. Because I am slow I just don't think I want to go through the extra month(?), two months(?) it would take to get me there. All I have to do now is finish sanding the body, do a little more glass work (I found more holes through the bed upon removal of PO paint), and filler here and there... then PRIME! I had a plan for today, but it is blown. Haven't even touched the Jeep. I'm trying to get motivated now, but wifey wore me slap out today!

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2011, 03:38 PM   #1894
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
I sure would like to go on a Jeep trip some day!

I!
You can ride with me, if you want, anytime.

The engine in the truck, from what I could find is 906 cubic inches.
dsc01099-150x150.jpg

dsc01101-150x150.jpg

1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2011, 06:25 PM   #1895
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

Scott I have been thinking about the tailgate issue and it seems to me that the one piece tub with integral solid tailgate is there to stiffen the tub. With out the glass back there it might flex enough to damage the glaas. Just food for thought.
gmakra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2011, 06:32 PM   #1896
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucdog View Post
You can ride with me, if you want, anytime.

The engine in the truck, from what I could find is 906 cubic inches.
Oh Man... I'd love to go! You'd have to install a sphincter handle for me though!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmakra View Post
Scott I have been thinking about the tailgate issue and it seems to me that the one piece tub with integral solid tailgate is there to stiffen the tub. With out the glass back there it might flex enough to damage the glaas. Just food for thought.
Yes, Sir... I think you're right George. It's a good argument and one that has a contributing factor to my Malaise!

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Unread 10-30-2011, 06:44 PM   #1897
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Scott..

If it's any consolation, my 'glass tub has no tailgate. It's got a solid back. Up until now, it hasn't been a problem.

I know that you mentioned lifting sacks of stuff into the back of the jeep. No biggie, you just have to lift the sacks a little higher! Keeps the shoulders strong!

Rich

There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
rixcj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2011, 03:25 AM   #1898
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

I waould just say the lack of tailgate is a perfect excuse to get an old military trailer - worked for me!

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2011, 03:26 PM   #1899
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

WHEW!! In a hurry... gotta take the boys to "Trunk or Treat", a neighborhood Halloween celebration at the church. Locals park their cars in the parking lot, sit in a lawn chair, and wait for kids to come by their trunk. Boys are dressing up as some kind of warriors!! Dad's going to go as "a guy restoring a Jeep"!

Got LOTS done today, and I'm feeling good! Here's pics of my progress. Enjoy...

It's not really a tailgate. It's the piece the PO had cut out and used as a tailgate. I'm putting it back in solid. Here it is sitting in place.

Gaps on the sides.

Cut some blocks to help hold the gate in place.

Correct size for what I need...

Blocks installed in tub rails. They will help hold the gate in place and create some rigidity.

Tailgate hung on the blocks. Lines up pretty good.

Bulk resin is toast!! Dang...

I will attach some glass strips to this side of the tailgate panel. These strips will help make a bond between the gate and the board. I couldn't really show the steps, and I couldn't build it on the ground and install it. It had to be built in place. So use your imagination and you will understand!

Wood blank installed. It overlaps the sides and recesses at the bottom. This will create rigidity. The gate will be set in place and everything screwed together so there is good contact.

The glass strips are between the board and the gate panel. I screwed it together for contact.

Inside view. I swear I measured that board so there would be no top gap!?

Using glass fibers to fill voids. Just pull it apart and stick in the cracks. Dab the resin in there good.

Using ProGlas to fill the voids.

Once the filler is done I will use glass strips to form the angles in the corners. Should come together pretty well. I know you'd need a sledgehammer to get it out!

Serious Candy Time... gotta GO!!... Happy Halloween. Be safe. Watch your kids! God Bless...

Unread 10-31-2011, 03:31 PM   #1900
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

Nice work Scott. I have faith it will turn out nice and strong!
Unread 10-31-2011, 03:45 PM   #1901
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Very nice work Scott. I think it'll stay for good!! I have to tell you though now that you've got it in there for good I think you should have made a tailgate. Next year you will need to take that down to the church parking lot with the back end full of candy and all of those little candy grabbin kids won't be able to reach over the side to get more than they should. There is a plan B however....make a step for the back end so they can hop up there and get at it.

Hey don't you be takin any of that candy for yourself. It'll draw the stamina right out of you wrestling with those kids. They're ruthless you know!

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2011, 08:34 PM   #1902
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rixcj View Post
Scott..

If it's any consolation, my 'glass tub has no tailgate. It's got a solid back. Up until now, it hasn't been a problem.

I know that you mentioned lifting sacks of stuff into the back of the jeep. No biggie, you just have to lift the sacks a little higher! Keeps the shoulders strong!

Rich
LOL! Yep... and I have 4 sons that can climb up there and get stuff out. Also, I have plans for a bumper with steps. It's not like it's going to get a LOT of hauling work. I plan to drive it a and LOOK GOOD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutlass327 View Post
I waould just say the lack of tailgate is a perfect excuse to get an old military trailer - worked for me!
A trailer is definitely on the planning table, but I have no idea when. There was one for sale down the road that looked very good. Sign said $700. If I HAD $700 it would be sitting in my yard, rusting with the rest of the stuff sitting in my yard!

Had to go to the shop and look at it! Took the tie-board off the back. The piece stays in!!! Just had to go look at it! Can't believe I am over that hump. I'm gonna lay in bed thinking about it. Wish I didn't have to go to work tomorrow, or I would finish it.

Unread 11-01-2011, 12:16 AM   #1903
cjdogtoy
1976 CJ5 

looking good Scott, I know how you feel about staying home and working on the jeep I wish I could take a few weeks off and do just that. I did finally grind and paint my front bumper this weekend.
cjdogtoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2011, 05:35 AM   #1904
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

Scott now your thinking with all that wood in the tailgate you could make a bonfire if you ever get lost. Come to think of it with your custom bumper making tools you could make some bumpers out of 4x4s. Then if you ask Bill real nice he may sell you his c u s t o n interior.

I can just see it now on the cover of Jeep Mag!
gmakra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2011, 05:46 AM   #1905
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmakra View Post
Scott now your thinking with all that wood in the tailgate you could make a bonfire if you ever get lost. Come to think of it with your custom bumper making tools you could make some bumpers out of 4x4s. Then if you ask Bill real nice he may sell you his c u s t o n interior.

I can just see it now on the cover of Jeep Mag!
Geeez... I hope nobody ever drops a match in this thing, cause it will go up like a bomb!! Thanks for the bumper tips, George... a nice hunk of 2X10 PT for each end would be perfect!!

Tags
1979 , cj5 , fiberglass , rollcage , tailgate

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.