Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Clay's Build Thread

556K views 5K replies 145 participants last post by  Skerr 
#1 · (Edited)
I have been contemplating posting a build thread for awhile. After viewing some of the current ones I got really pumped! I also figured that as long as I was going to be asking for help fixing stuff I might as well have it in the thread... so here we go. My 16 YO son, Clay, and I are building his CJ5. It's a 79 that I acquired in a boat/Jeep trade nearly 2 years ago. I got it for myself but I don't fit well, so I got a 7 and gave him the 5. He is really stoked about building the Jeep and I can't think of a better father/son project. Clay will be doing the work while I supervise ;). The 5 has a 258, T18A, D20 with axles from an 85 CJ7, D30 and AMC20. Gears are 2.72. We will probably go to a 3.73 in the future. It will get the RC 2.5" lift, Procomp 9000 shocks, and a urethane bushing kit (already purchased). It also has a FG tub which will require a bit of glass work. We had already completed the frame resto when we discovered that we didn't do it right. So we took it back down to bare metal again, finding some rot and a few cracks. We should have those repairs made in the next couple of weeks. After that the frame gets POR-15 and black implement paint. In the meantime, we'll be working on getting the engine painted and installing the MC2100. In these pics Clay is prepping the T18A for paint. He wanted to paint it silver with a red stripe, but I put the Kibash on that! So he settled for a silver tranny and red shift levers... when we get there. He plans to paint the rig International red (tractor paint) with a silver tub floor. Hmmmm... maybe! It MIGHT look good. We just finished watching the entire Season 2 of the Rat Patrol... so guess what HE wants to mount up!?!? :laugh:

Attachments

See less See more
#4,755 ·
I am definitely blessed! And Life goes on...

I picked up another steering gear box for Clay's 5. It is an AZ purchase, reman unit, lifetime warranty, for $150. I'm hoping it will solve the wandering problem in the steering. The gear box that is on there is a JY unit I pulled off a 7. It is better than Clay's original gear box, and it helped a lot. Considering his Jeep has all new bushings, suspension, tires, and alignment, I'm thinking gear box, as there is too much slop in the wheel. However, I believe the caster is off as the steering wheel does not center itself after a turn. I'll investigate that later.

#4,756 ·
Have you looked at the steering shaft from the column to the box? Mine has a little slop in the "u-joint" of it - it is basically just a metal block with pins in the "yokes" of the shaft that go in holes of the block. And if you ever melted the plastic in the telescoping part, unless you somehow bolted/pinned it or secured it I had some slop in the slip part til until it rusted solid again.

#4,757 ·
Thanks for the thought, Rick. That's not the culprit... the U-Joint is new. Shaft was separated, cleaned, and reinstalled during the column rebuild. No slop there either. I know the gear box is causing an issue. I just don't know how much is related to it and how much may be related to caster? But I will know the answer within a week or so.

#4,758 ·
Installed the new gear box this evening when I got home from work. Clay had it mostly ready to go. Looked great in the box. Loosely mounted up the brackets. Installed it on the Jeep. Tightened up the brackets, and one of the side bolt holes is stripped! Right out of the box! This is after connecting the lines and filling it with oil. Checked to see if Clay could drive it to school for the rest of the week, as we need 3 vehicles right now. No way. The gear box moves all over the place! Aggravated! Clay has to get up early and take me to work, then go to school, then come and get me. He will have 13.5 hours at school to accomodate me, and we are out the time and a pint of fluid. Not to mention having to do it again!

#%*%!^%!

#4,763 ·
Good extra time for Clayton to study!!

#4,765 ·
Don't know who makes the reman gear boxes. I didn't pay attention to the brand. I'm guessing these would be available to all the parts houses?? At any rate, I have another one coming... be here Thursday.

Then I'm going to need a lesson on how to center the pitman arm on the gear box! And does this affect the alignment?

#4,768 ·
Skerr said:
Not now... no way I could pay attention! I'll probably call you when I am under the stoopid Heep!

Crap! You gonna be around?
Home Wednesday ,Thursday and Friday, Indiana with the Jeep on Saturday, work on Sunday.

Not much to it. Mount the box first, then connect the steering shaft, then call me. Make sure all the holes have good threads. :)

Bill. And check out my thread!

#4,771 ·
I want a second opinion on mounting up the pitman arm, making sure you have the same amount of swing to either side. The gear box on Clay's Jeep has several slots for the arm, and the arm is curved.

I understand how to install it on the frame and center the wheel.

got to get that thing up and running so the blond can do more tracks in the grass ha ha. sorry to hear about your troubles.
Always glad to hear your voice Dog. I'm thinking the blonde is history. I'm not clear on that yet!

Man thats some bad luck on the box Scott.
No more than you've experienced yourself. I feel like we're brothers! Thanks, MoC

#4,773 ·
I know that you know. After the box and steering shaft are on, go up to the steering wheel and turn it all the way to the left until the steering box won't let it turn anymore.
Counting each complete turn (360*)and Partial turn of the wheel rotate the wheel to the right until it stops. It should be a little over 4 complete rotations. Divide the number of turns in half. Rotate the wheel to the left , the number of turns the division gave you. ( so if it was 4.250 rotations, turn the wheel 2.125)
This centers the box.
The pitman arm can now be installed , the part the TRE goes in, goes toward the rear of the jeep. It may not point straight back, exactly Parallel with the frame rails, but should be close. The torque on the nut is 180/185 foot pounds.

Bill

#4,775 ·
Clay has his steering box installed, and it is a big improvement. Sort of. It felt wonderful at first, but after driving it for a couple of days it feels like the box we removed. We got up-close and personal and learned that the box is moving and shifting under the pressure of turning the steering wheel, so Clay is finishing up his homemade steering box brace. Not installed yet, but it IS laying on the ground under the front of the Jeep. So we're very, very close!

Day before yesterday Clay was going to school when the hood blew up and smacked the WS. Scared the crap outta him! Very nice crunch to the hood!!! There is a big crack in the middle that goes all the way through the glass, and the hood cracked on both sides where I had reinforced with glass very early in the build. So the hood needs a total rework. Clay is already talking about repainting, and he, for some reason which I attribute to Redneck Youth Disease, wants to paint it camo. I have to take the blame for not latching his hood as I think it is my fault. The Jeep came with a central hood latch but I removed it since there was nothing for it to latch to! Guess I'll fabricate something when we refinish the hood down the road.

#4,777 ·
..Clay was going to school when the hood blew up and smacked the WS. Scared the crap outta him!...
A story from my youth: It was about 1985. A friend from high school had a 1964 1/2 Mustang that had been sitting in her mother's driveway, rotting for about a decade. Getting this car to run was her only chance at having a vehicle to drive.

A friend and I, both mechanically inclined, decided to take on the project. Over the weeks we handled all of the basic work like belts, hoses, spark plugs, and battery. The high point was rebuilding the carburetor on the 289. Finally, with a lawn mower gas can in the trunk, we got the engine running. With one foot firmly on the brake pedal, I put the automatic transmission in gear. The car went...nowhere. Not even a lurch.

Quickly we figured out it had no transmission fluid, so that was an easy fix. Within an hour, we had the car driving down the street.

After hitting maybe 30 MPH, the hood flew open scared the @#$# out of us. It made a great story.

I think about that story *every* time I close the hood on my CJ, because the center hood latch does not work.

#4,778 ·
Well that sucks! Back in my youth, (pre 1985 Ken) I was working on my sisters 1967 Ford. Yep the hood came open about 40 mph.

Scott, I thought you were doing the steering brace when I posted the pictures of mine. Glad it's getting fixed now.

Ok, I can't figure this out, the primary hood latch works on everything in my signature.

RYD, I have lingering effects of that to this day.

Bill

#4,779 ·
Well that sucks! Back in my youth, (pre 1985 Ken) I was working on my sisters 1967 Ford. Yep the hood came open about 40 mph.

Scott, I thought you were doing the steering brace when I posted the pictures of mine. Glad it's getting fixed now.

Ok, I can't figure this out, the primary hood latch works on everything in my signature.

RYD, I have lingering effects of that to this day.

Bill
No... we never finished it. It has been sitting on the table next to the drill press ever since. But lesson learned... after Clay installed the NEW gear box and tightened it down, and after I told him to put some meat into the wrench, and after he told me "I DID Dad!!", he then SAW the moving gear box with tightened bolts, etc. So the brace got finished. He got very annoyed with me!

RYD= Remember Your...
Driveway?
Dog?
Dill Pickle?
Dingaling?

I give up... :laugh:

#4,781 ·
Thanks, Bill. Any chance of you taking pics close-up, using a tape measure? I want to know how far it protrudes when folded. I also want to see the foldig mechanism.

#4,782 ·
Skerr said:
Thanks, Bill. Any chance of you taking pics close-up, using a tape measure? I want to know how far it protrudes when folded. I also want to see the foldig mechanism.
Get them for you@all's tomorrow.

#4,783 ·
Hey Bill, I have looked around for those folding steps. Ya know where I can find a set?

#4,784 ·
WNC-84CJ7 said:
Hey Bill, I have looked around for those folding steps. Ya know where I can find a set?
I got them at a truck supply shop. It was called Mutual Wheel in peoria. They had them in stainless, and aluminum.
They might also be found at a big truck stop.
If you can't find any let me know.

Bill

#4,785 ·
Cool. I love snooping around a truck stop now and again. I will have a look. Thanks Bill!:thumbsup:

Chris