Clay's Build Thread - Page 116 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Clay's Build Thread

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!

Reply
Unread 10-04-2011, 05:49 PM   #1726
lucdog
Web Wheeler
 
lucdog's Avatar
1980 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: , Il.
Posts: 8,156
That is a good one. I had some help this afternoon. I gotta say, being a grandpa is really fun.

Bill

forumrunner_20111004_174933.jpg  
__________________
1957 WILLYS pickup, needs work.
1973 J 4000,
1978 CJ7 DD.
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2011, 06:41 PM   #1727
243
Registered User
1983 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 3,278
Sometimes I can't help myself Scott

Clay, your Jeep is looking great and I look forward to seeing it painted...OD Green ????????????
__________________
You can't sit at the big boy table if you are gonna whine like a girl...M
243 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2011, 08:05 PM   #1728
Eaglekeeper
Registered User
1986 CJ7 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Panama City, Fl
Posts: 828
Scott, you've made some impressive head way in the last 6 weeks...then again you've got a lot of help
__________________
86 CJ7, 258 Engine, T-177, Dana 300.
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/let-games-begin-new-build-86-cj7-1046943/[/url]

A ton more pics here.
[URL="http://s1038.photobucket.com/albums/a462/E9Eaglekeeper/"]http://s1038.photobucket.com/albums/a462/E9Eaglekeeper/[/URL]
Eaglekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2011, 11:22 PM   #1729
Skerr
<*////><
 
Skerr's Avatar
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: White Springs, Florida
Posts: 8,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucdog View Post
That is a good one. I had some help this afternoon. I gotta say, being a grandpa is really fun.

Bill
I see a new avatar, BIll. What a great picture!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
Sometimes I can't help myself Scott

Clay, your Jeep is looking great and I look forward to seeing it painted...OD Green ????????????
Your pics keep me rolling! Yeah, we're probably going with the same paint that Jim used. I like his color, and we probably won't pass each other on the road!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglekeeper View Post
Scott, you've made some impressive head way in the last 6 weeks...then again you've got a lot of help
Man, Jody... it's great to hear from you. Your bed work looks awesome. You didn't lose any skills while you were laying around sorryiing-off!
__________________
Kerrdog
Go Fish! <*////><

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2011, 09:41 AM   #1730
cjdogtoy
Registered User
1976 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: phoenix
Posts: 667
Hey Scott,

sorry I've been out again.

It looks like you have maid some great strides, I just got all caught up again and wow.

As to the tire clearance on the body lift it looks like you could true up the arch of the fender and get the spacing for the 35's and go for it. since the PO already chewed the fenders with the tires what have you got to loose.

glad to see that all is well with you and yours, and tell clay I can see a big improvement in his welding and well done.
cjdogtoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2011, 07:27 PM   #1731
Skerr
<*////><
 
Skerr's Avatar
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: White Springs, Florida
Posts: 8,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdogtoy View Post
Hey Scott,

sorry I've been out again.

It looks like you have maid some great strides, I just got all caught up again and wow.

As to the tire clearance on the body lift it looks like you could true up the arch of the fender and get the spacing for the 35's and go for it. since the PO already chewed the fenders with the tires what have you got to loose.

glad to see that all is well with you and yours, and tell clay I can see a big improvement in his welding and well done.
Where ya been Dog!? We appreciate your comments. Clay is definitely moving up on his welding skills. Tractor Supply is having their Grand Opening this weekend, and Clay stopped by. He came home with the story that the Hobart Handler 140 was on sale for $199!!!! So I called the store... WRONG! Oh well, I got excited for nothing!


Gotta pull the tub one more time. MAW add tranny fluids and other things while the tub is off this time. Then it will be bolted down and the body work begins, including sealing up the back where the PO installed his homemade tailgate. Also gotta go over all the nuts/bolts one more time and check torque. Some of them were stuck in and finger-tightened.

Last of all... I moved my climber to another spot on the creek. I was trimming branches with my machete for shooting lanes. Whack, whack... I was beating these branches with an UN-sharp machete when I heard an incredible crashing coming through the woods! It was coming closer, and it was coming fast. I had no weapons on me! I had reconciled myself to the idea that either the Predator or Sasquatch was fixing to break out and get me, when a beautiful, and I mean NICE, cow-horn spike popped out of the understory 10-12 yards away, and stood looking at me through a scrub tree! I watched him, he watched me. I guess I must have sounded like a buck fighting a buck!? He took off after 15 seconds. Cool stuff!
__________________
Kerrdog
Go Fish! <*////><

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2011, 08:37 PM   #1732
cjdogtoy
Registered User
1976 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: phoenix
Posts: 667
I've been out sick for the last 6 months, needless to say my work and my bills have been piling up and the doctors still can't figure it out. It isn't contagious so I've just been trying to bull through and get some work done, but after a half day I'm so wiped out that sometimes I have a hard time just driving home and when I get there it's right back to bed.
cjdogtoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2011, 06:46 PM   #1733
Jim1611
Web Wheeler
 
Jim1611's Avatar
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 5,712
Hey Scott we had a surprise visit today. Bill ( lucdog) and his wife Vicky stopped by our house for a few minutes.
__________________
www.crabtreetool.com (Crabtree Shackle Hangers)

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2011, 07:00 PM   #1734
Skerr
<*////><
 
Skerr's Avatar
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: White Springs, Florida
Posts: 8,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
Hey Scott we had a surprise visit today. Bill ( lucdog) and his wife Vicky stopped by our house for a few minutes.
WOW!! That is SO COOL! Does he look as OLD as he does in his pictures!?!?!?!
__________________
Kerrdog
Go Fish! <*////><

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2011, 07:11 PM   #1735
Jim1611
Web Wheeler
 
Jim1611's Avatar
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 5,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
WOW!! That is SO COOL! Does he look as OLD as he does in his pictures!?!?!?!
We had a great visit. It's nice to really meet someone in person that we see on here every day. I aint going there on that age question buddy....you're on your own with that one.
__________________
www.crabtreetool.com (Crabtree Shackle Hangers)

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2011, 07:21 PM   #1736
Skerr
<*////><
 
Skerr's Avatar
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: White Springs, Florida
Posts: 8,912
Need some help!!

I am bolting everything down... tight. I need to get everything "square" or "plumb". I have the tub where it needs to go. The grill is plumb. The tub is level left to right.

In the pics that follow I have some issues.

First pic is showing the grill with 2 1/4" bushings. This makes the tops of the fenders level from front to back.

The second pic shows the bottom of the fender even with the bottom edge of the tub. This creates a pretty huge gap between the fender and the hood.

The third pic shows the distance from the shop floor to the bottom of the pass. fender. The fender has been pushed up as high as it will go to reduce the hood/fender gap. It is 27 1/4" as denoted by the red line. The driver's side is 26 1/2"... 3/4" difference. Shouldn't they be the same? It's possible the PO did not bore the fender-to-firewall holes in the right places. Is it that simple??

The fourth pic is showing how the pass side hood extends out beyond the curve of the cowl.

The fifth pic shows how I can push it down with my hand and make it flush with the cowl. This also improves the gap between the fender and hood. But I can't figure a way to make the hood to stay in that position. It's almost like the hood is slightly sprung.

I need ya'lls help setting this up so it is close. I assume the measurements should be the same on both sides of the Jeep? Should I drill new holes? Should I pull in the side of the hood somehow?

Thanks!
img_5406_1.jpg   img_5404_1.jpg   img_5408_1.jpg   img_5405_1.jpg   img_5407_1.jpg  

__________________
Kerrdog
Go Fish! <*////><

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2011, 07:53 PM   #1737
rixcj
Web Wheeler
 
rixcj's Avatar
1979 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: RI
Posts: 1,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
Need some help!!

I am bolting everything down... tight. I need to get everything "square" or "plumb". I have the tub where it needs to go. The grill is plumb. The tub is level left to right.

In the pics that follow I have some issues.

First pic is showing the grill with 2 1/4" bushings. This makes the tops of the fenders level from front to back.

The second pic shows the bottom of the fender even with the bottom edge of the tub. This creates a pretty huge gap between the fender and the hood.

The third pic shows the distance from the shop floor to the bottom of the pass. fender. The fender has been pushed up as high as it will go to reduce the hood/fender gap. It is 27 1/4" as denoted by the red line. The driver's side is 26 1/2"... 3/4" difference. Shouldn't they be the same? It's possible the PO did not bore the fender-to-firewall holes in the right places. Is it that simple??

The fourth pic is showing how the pass side hood extends out beyond the curve of the cowl.

The fifth pic shows how I can push it down with my hand and make it flush with the cowl. This also improves the gap between the fender and hood. But I can't figure a way to make the hood to stay in that position. It's almost like the hood is slightly sprung.

I need ya'lls help setting this up so it is close. I assume the measurements should be the same on both sides of the Jeep? Should I drill new holes? Should I pull in the side of the hood somehow?

Thanks!
I lose track of all the details of everyone's build, so, I have to ask...are the hood, grill, and fenders steel? I'm assuming so.

If they are...

..as far as the fenders being different heights off of the floor, did you compare the dimensions of the mounting holes in the fenders ( both sides) to see if they're the same? As well as the mounting holes in the firewall?

Is the driver's side fender (26.5" off of the floor) even with the bottom of the tub, like the pass. side fender is? Did you check to see if the bottom edge of the tub is the same distance off of the shop floor, on both sides?

With a steel hood, you may be able to wrap a ratcheting binder strap around the hinge end of the hood, and tighten it to reshape (narrow) the hood to fit the shape of the cowl better.

Always go easy with this kind of "modification". Get an initial baseline width measurement. Measure the width across the cowl of the tub. This would be the number that you'd want the hood to end up being.

Then, measure the starting width of the hood. I'd try cranking the binder so that the hood is 1/2" narrower than the finish number that you are striving for, to allow for springback. Then take the strap off, and see what you've got. If there's NO change, try it again, and go 1" beyond.

If it moved just a little, you'll have to use your own intuition and try again.

Good luck!

Rich

P.S. If the hood's fiberglass...forget what I've suggested!!
__________________
'79 CJ5, AMC 360, t-18/d20 twin stick, dana 30/amc20(Mosers), Edelbrock Performer intake, Holley 600, ps/pb, DUI HEI, 'glass tub/1pc. tilt nose, 33x12.50 BFG AT's.

There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
rixcj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2011, 08:23 PM   #1738
cjdogtoy
Registered User
1976 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: phoenix
Posts: 667
as I recall you had this problem before and were going to run a piece of bent steel along the bottom of the hood, between the hinges and rear edge, to correct the warped fiberglass.

of coarse I could have your build mixed up with someone else's, it has been a while.
cjdogtoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2011, 09:31 PM   #1739
Skerr
<*////><
 
Skerr's Avatar
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: White Springs, Florida
Posts: 8,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by rixcj View Post
I lose track of all the details of everyone's build, so, I have to ask...are the hood, grill, and fenders steel? I'm assuming so.

If they are...

..as far as the fenders being different heights off of the floor, did you compare the dimensions of the mounting holes in the fenders ( both sides) to see if they're the same? As well as the mounting holes in the firewall? No in both cases... good idea.

Is the driver's side fender (26.5" off of the floor) even with the bottom of the tub, like the pass. side fender is? Did you check to see if the bottom edge of the tub is the same distance off of the shop floor, on both sides? The driver's side is not the same as the pass side. I actually trimmed off an inch along the bottom of the pass side. I still have to do the driver's side.

With a steel hood, you may be able to wrap a ratcheting binder strap around the hinge end of the hood, and tighten it to reshape (narrow) the hood to fit the shape of the cowl better.

Always go easy with this kind of "modification". Get an initial baseline width measurement. Measure the width across the cowl of the tub. This would be the number that you'd want the hood to end up being.

Then, measure the starting width of the hood. I'd try cranking the binder so that the hood is 1/2" narrower than the finish number that you are striving for, to allow for springback. Then take the strap off, and see what you've got. If there's NO change, try it again, and go 1" beyond.

If it moved just a little, you'll have to use your own intuition and try again.

Good luck!

Rich

P.S. If the hood's fiberglass...forget what I've suggested!!
Rich, you always have good and thoughtful advice. I sure am glad you're checking in! Alas, it is all glass! The only metal is the windshield frame and grill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdogtoy View Post
as I recall you had this problem before and were going to run a piece of bent steel along the bottom of the hood, between the hinges and rear edge, to correct the warped fiberglass.

of coarse I could have your build mixed up with someone else's, it has been a while.
I may have said that at one time, but I suffer from CRS! At any rate, I don't plan to do that now. MAY do something else... but not sure what yet!
__________________
Kerrdog
Go Fish! <*////><

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2011, 09:52 PM   #1740
Skerr
<*////><
 
Skerr's Avatar
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: White Springs, Florida
Posts: 8,912
I'm feeling some better about this. I've got it level from side to side. The back of the tub is a little higher than the front. I removed 1/4" of bushing from under the grill. That helped with fender to firewall fitment, although they are not level anymore. However, they're not off a great deal, and I can't see it with my eyes. So no biggie.. right? As I mentioned earlier I suffer from CRS, and one significant point of interest is the fact that there is a CJ7 sitting right next to the 5! What a goof! So I measured around my 7 and found that there are plenty of inconsistencies. So who's gonna know? I think I'm gonna nail it and call it done. The fitment, that is. Still have lots to do. I walk around this thing and I stare at it!!!!! To me, it looks so dad-gone cool! The hood comes to my chest and I'm 6'3". I CANNOT wait to drive this beast. Pseudo-beast! No disrespct intended to you guys who ACTUALLY HAVE a beast!

Here's a few more pics of where we iz! Remember I installed the blocks at the back of the tub for the rear crossmember bushings? DANG!? Did I do it right, or what? Also, here's a pic of how the tub meets the bushings along the pass side.

The hood hinge pics show what I did for hood adjustment. Of course, I ruined my hinges! I cut square slots in them so I could move the hood around. I can't stand the washers... anybody got some hinges you would part with? Under the cowl I used a piece of 3/16 steel, drilled holes, and tapped them. MUCH more strength for a glass Jeep.

I'm Stoked!
img_5415_1.jpg   img_5412_1.jpg   img_5409_1.jpg   img_5410_1.jpg   img_5414_1.jpg  

__________________
Kerrdog
Go Fish! <*////><

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Tags
1979 , cj5 , fiberglass , rollcage , tailgate

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.