Clay's Build Thread - Page 114 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Clay's Build Thread

Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 09-29-2011, 06:34 PM   #1696
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Cube steak and ground venison...

img_5322_1.jpg   img_5326_1.jpg   img_5331_1.jpg  

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2011, 06:41 PM   #1697
1983 CJ7 

Nice
Unread 09-29-2011, 08:31 PM   #1698
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

^^^ What he said!
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2011, 08:41 PM   #1699
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Man that's a great time to have all of that help!! Scott does your back hurt after doing that? Killed mine till I raised my table up now it aint so bad.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2011, 10:14 PM   #1700
bbc
1985 CJ7 

Nice! I will be doing the same thing on Saturday!
bbc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2011, 07:31 PM   #1701
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
Man that's a great time to have all of that help!! Scott does your back hurt after doing that? Killed mine till I raised my table up now it aint so bad.
Naw... my back didn't hurt. I was just posing! I sat in the swing most of the time and cracked the whip!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbc View Post
Nice! I will be doing the same thing on Saturday!
I'll bet your deer are slightly bigger than ours.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Unread 10-01-2011, 05:06 AM   #1702
langstonjones
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
Now that the family has "settled down", me and Clay got a little worky done! We were going to paint his C20. He had applied rust converter to it some weeks ago and stored it in the shop. But when we got it out to wash it we saw that the pinion seal had been leaking. So I ordered a new one. He degreased the axle again and discovered that he never finished the rust converter the first time... oy veh! So here is Clay at his finest, when he is working on the Jeep. I've included some pics and I have a question..

When installing a pinion seal, is it as easy as removing the nut, sliding everything off/out, pick out the old seal, and pop in the new one? I'll be doing the same thing for the D30 later.

Thanks, ALL
Hey Scott, Just picked up on yours and Clay's build today. LOOKS GREAT so far (I know, I'm way behind). What is this "rust converter"? Is it naval jelly? Thanks...David

EDIT: guess I should've googled before asking the stupid question. I got it thanks anyway.
langstonjones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2011, 07:41 PM   #1703
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by langstonjones View Post
Hey Scott, Just picked up on yours and Clay's build today. LOOKS GREAT so far (I know, I'm way behind). What is this "rust converter"? Is it naval jelly? Thanks...David

EDIT: guess I should've googled before asking the stupid question. I got it thanks anyway.
No such thing as a stupid question, David! I appreciate you checking out the thread. The rust converter we used (same stuff we were painting the tranny with earlier in the thread) is made by Rustoleum and is available at WalMart.

There have been comments about painting over rust converters in general, and some paints may not be compatible. So I would recommend contacting tech support and asking them if you have that in mind. That being said, I used Valspar Implement paint (satin black) over the rust converter with no issues.

Unread 10-01-2011, 07:45 PM   #1704
FLynes
Web Wheeler

1976 CJ5 

Scott, did you see the post on the Permatex brand rust converter by JH? Seems like good stuff too.

High Plains Drifter
1976 CJ-5
Lime Green
Black Wellington Vinyl Bench Seats
258 I-6 1bbl
T-150 3-Speed
3.54:1 Open Gears

Grammar Test
FLynes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2011, 08:08 PM   #1705
FLynes
Web Wheeler

1976 CJ5 

Getting back to the topic, from what I hear the Permatex rust converter works well.

Disclaimer: I HAVE NO EXPERIENCE WITH IT WHATSOEVER, so I can't recommend it.

High Plains Drifter
1976 CJ-5
Lime Green
Black Wellington Vinyl Bench Seats
258 I-6 1bbl
T-150 3-Speed
3.54:1 Open Gears

Grammar Test
FLynes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2011, 08:12 PM   #1706
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacj7

come on man.... Why did you bring this into clay's thread? No reason for that here.
x2

Not cool
Unread 10-02-2011, 05:55 AM   #1707
langstonjones
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
No such thing as a stupid question, David! I appreciate you checking out the thread. The rust converter we used (same stuff we were painting the tranny with earlier in the thread) is made by Rustoleum and is available at WalMart.

There have been comments about painting over rust converters in general, and some paints may not be compatible. So I would recommend contacting tech support and asking them if you have that in mind. That being said, I used Valspar Implement paint (satin black) over the rust converter with no issues.
Thanks for the follow up because when I googled "rust converter", it brought up some pretty expensive products that I know I couldn't run out and buy. After all I have much more elbow grease than money, but if Rustoleum makes a product it should be feasible. Also the Valspar is Lowe's brand isn't it? Do they carry the implement paint?

Sidenote: I sure hope the riff raff that had their comments deleted didn't follow me in. I thought I closed the door behind me but I will double check from now on. I didn't see the comments. Did I wake up the haters that you mentioned in your reply?
langstonjones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2011, 09:12 AM   #1708
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLynes View Post
Scott, did you see the post on the Permatex brand rust converter by JH? Seems like good stuff too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLynes View Post
Getting back to the topic, from what I hear the Permatex rust converter works well.

Disclaimer: I HAVE NO EXPERIENCE WITH IT WHATSOEVER, so I can't recommend it.
Ironically, I read it just this morning! It looks like the identical stuff to the Rustoleum brand, which looks identical to the Gempler's brand, etc! Same appearance, foam, coating, action, etc. As Jeephammer did, I too used it on rusty wheels (Clay's). Without ever having covered the rust converter with a topcoat, leaving only the rust coverter as the final coat, after 2+ years it has not rusted again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by langstonjones View Post
Thanks for the follow up because when I googled "rust converter", it brought up some pretty expensive products that I know I couldn't run out and buy. After all I have much more elbow grease than money, but if Rustoleum makes a product it should be feasible. Also the Valspar is Lowe's brand isn't it? Do they carry the implement paint?

Sidenote: I sure hope the riff raff that had their comments deleted didn't follow me in. I thought I closed the door behind me but I will double check from now on. I didn't see the comments. Did I wake up the haters that you mentioned in your reply?
If you read the whole thread you would see all of the stuff I have used and the mistakes I have made. MOST of the rust converter I have used is plain old Ospho, which is Phosphoric Acid... $14/Gallon at True Value. It leaves a white scale when dry which you have to remove before painting. The Gempler's brand and Rustoleum brand work well. They leave rusty steel black, which gives a psychological satisfaction (becasue you can SEE the change!). For peace of mind, it doesn't really matter what you pay... you MUST be happy with the result, regardless what anybody else says.

Don't get lost on Riffraff! We are ALL riffraff from time to time... I'm no exception. We'd never learn a thing if we didn't have the diverse personalities and characters of the JF community.

Unread 10-02-2011, 03:16 PM   #1709
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Officially, the tranny crossmember is bolted back up! YAY!! I don't know if it is the same for all of you, but it is diifficult to bolt the tranny back to the crossmember... the two bolts that go up from the bottom. With Clay on the creeper, and me using my superior muscles of steel from above , we scooched the engine/tranny back enough to get those two stubborn bolts in. Soooo, officially, ALL OF IT is back in place since repairing the frame nuts. The tranny is officially lowered, the driveline looks officially "good enough" to me, and the tub is officially ready to go back on the frame....

... once we find the missing tub bushing.

Unread 10-02-2011, 04:07 PM   #1710
Falcon_CMH

Whew! great work that is a ton of stuffg bet you are relieved!

Tags
1979 , cj5 , fiberglass , rollcage , tailgate

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.