Clay's Build Thread - Page 111 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Clay's Build Thread

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 09-05-2011, 06:40 AM   #1651
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
The tub mount locations (the factory holes for the body bushings) on our crossmember are flat along with the surface of the Xmember. The protrusions on the tub are probably there for reinforcement, and not for body mounts, when it comes down to it. But the holes in the Xmember are not located beneath the protrusions, they are off to the side by several inches. The 2X4 would solve that if I was convinced it would be strong and durable. I just have to make a decision about it. The steel straps would be the simplest thing to do, but I'm more comforatble with the glass. Are the protrusions on your tub large enough to completely support a bushing?
You're right...they probably aren't meant to be used as mounts. I looked at mine, again, and they definitely are not in the stock mount locations. The rubber mounts that were made by the PO were carved to fit the on the surface of the protrusions. Seeing that they've been this way for years, I'll leave them there.

Rich

There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
rixcj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2011, 12:33 PM   #1652
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rixcj View Post
You're right...they probably aren't meant to be used as mounts. I looked at mine, again, and they definitely are not in the stock mount locations. The rubber mounts that were made by the PO were carved to fit the on the surface of the protrusions. Seeing that they've been this way for years, I'll leave them there.

Rich
Praise God... you're a WISE MAN Rich!!

"If it ain't broke... don't fix it..."

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2011, 12:42 PM   #1653
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Must............ have........... energy............ transfusion........... ugghhhh

Dang, I'm tired! Been working all day on the tub. Got some blocks glassed in yesterday evening for the rear Xmember tub mounts.

So far today, I have DuraGlassed holes, spots, and ugly! Sanded the underside down with some 80 grit, washed it down with Castrol Super Clean and a stiff brush, let it dry in the sun (between rain squalls!), shot it with HB primer, and finished it with Valspar Satin Black Implement paint. I don't ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, EVER want to see the underside of that tub again! We'll mount it up tonight so Paw-in-Law can see what it's going to look like, and we'll (me and Clay) finish the rest of the body work with it on the frame.

Do you really understand just how good this feels?

Of course you do!
img_5161_1.jpg   img_5165_1.jpg   img_5166_1.jpg   img_5162_1.jpg   img_5167_1.jpg  

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Unread 09-05-2011, 01:38 PM   #1654
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

That looks awsome! I think that anyone who restores a jeep, with any amount of passion , can appreciate this momentious occasion that you're celebrating. It's another long, painful step of the restoration that is behind you. That has got to be the beefiest tub on the planet!

Rich

There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
rixcj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2011, 02:38 PM   #1655
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

I like it....allot!! Very well done.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2011, 06:57 PM   #1656
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rixcj View Post
That looks awsome! I think that anyone who restores a jeep, with any amount of passion , can appreciate this momentious occasion that you're celebrating. It's another long, painful step of the restoration that is behind you. That has got to be the beefiest tub on the planet!

Rich
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
I like it....allot!! Very well done.
Thanks Rich and Jim.

I wanted to get the tub on the frame tonight and bolt it down, but it ain't happenin'! I forgot about installing the gas tank (idiot!). So, I mocked up the tank, drilled the holes in the extended bracket that Clay welded, wire-wheeled it, Marine Cleaned it, primed it, and... I'm out of black rattle-can!! And Wifey stopped at WallyWorld to pick up some more Lacquer Thinner for me. Communication, communication, communication! It's important at work AND IT'S IMPORTANT AT HOME!! So the tub doesn't go on until I get the black paint. Maybe tomorrow...

Unread 09-05-2011, 07:10 PM   #1657
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Even if you didn't get the tub on today you still made some mega progress.

My build thread
Unread 09-18-2011, 09:16 PM   #1658
Splinter
1980 CJ5 

Splinter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2011, 10:37 PM   #1659
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinter View Post
Thanks for snooping around, Don! I'm off through Wednesday so I hope to get SOMETHING done. Working on lowering the tranny right now... making some spacers to go between the tranny skid and frame. Should have them painted tomorow... BUT, bow season opened this past Saturday, and I obviously don't have my priorities right!!

Unread 09-19-2011, 04:35 AM   #1660
1983 CJ7 

Looking good guys, when do you hope to have it on the road?
Unread 09-19-2011, 07:14 AM   #1661
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
Looking good guys, when do you hope to have it on the road?
If everything goes according to plan, we should have it on the road last year!

IDK, Dave... Clay says 6 mos, I think 2 mos. I don't know what would stop us. My mind says it should go together fast now, and I can't figure any reason why it shouldn't, BUT... you know how it goes!

I'm going to pick up some bulk tubing and bend my own brake lines and fuel return. AJ says he'll help and he has the flaring tool. That's the only thing keeping the tub off right now. Should be able to send Wifey out for a Jeep run today. Here's hoping...

Unread 09-19-2011, 11:28 AM   #1662
SonicR1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Lovin it!!! There should be some amazing progress since you are off till wednesday!!! No pressure…

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/sonics-05-tj-build-1168663/#post10985489"][COLOR="yellow"]The TJ[/COLOR][/URL]
2005 Wrangler X 4.0/6 speed, Dana 30/Ford 8.8--4.88--Eaton E-Lockers, 35" MT/R, Smittybilt bumpers/rockers/winch, SonicFab tire carrier, RE 3.5 springs, Zone 1.25 BL, FullTraction 3 link upper rear, RE super flex lower rears, UCF ultra high skid and lo/pro mount, brown dog mml.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sonics-74-cj5-build-1106795/"][COLOR="DarkOrange"]1974 CJ5 BUILD THREAD[/COLOR][/URL]
SonicR1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2011, 11:54 AM   #1663
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicR1 View Post
Lovin it!!! There should be some amazing progress since you are off till wednesday!!! No pressure…
GEEEEZ! I was thinking about you, and you SHOW UP! That's awesome!! How ya doing Bill??

Wifey is on the way home right now... has all my goodies. I learnt that bulk brake line is a 6' stick. I thought it was a spool!? Auto Zone had the sticks I need with the fittings, so no flaring. I got the rear brake line from prop valve to axle, and one short one to fit along the rear axle (an 18" piece instead of the 30" piece that was on there). I also got a 1/4" stick for a return line with the rubber fuel line to make the connection to the tank, and a 3/8(?) for the supply, also with the rubber fuel line. Everything for about $50. Now, if my wife was accurate (and she's done this enough over the years that I believe she is), and this goes as expected, it beats the heck out of $100 for a single, factory return line!

Should I go to the deer stand, or should I work on the Jeep!? Hmmmm...

Unread 09-19-2011, 01:06 PM   #1664
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Sounds like you're going to the deer stand to me. Since you're over 50 be careful sittin out there and don't fall aspleep, you might fall over and hurt yourself. Oh yea don't choke on anymore sody either, man there's allot to be careful of for you old guys.

My build thread
Unread 09-19-2011, 02:37 PM   #1665
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
Sounds like you're going to the deer stand to me. Since you're over 50 be careful sittin out there and don't fall aspleep, you might fall over and hurt yourself. Oh yea don't choke on anymore sody either, man there's allot to be careful of for you old guys.
With friends like you who needs enemies!? Talk about old... now that you're 50 you're probably going to fall asleep while wheeling!! You'd better have a 6 point harness so you don't fall out of the Jeep!!

Wifey showed up with all of the parts! She is s-o-o-o-o good! My only problem is.... me! I didn't get ENOUGH parts! She is going back tomorrow to get the balance of stuff I need to complete the installation. Here's a couple of pics showing what I am doing. The new line is very easy to bend by hand. You DON'T need a bender, just don't get in a hurry! Parts are from AZ, ranging from $4 to $8. I need to go a little longer on the fuel supply and return lines, and I need a little longer piece on the brake line. The sticks are 6' lengths. I'll give some more details as I go tomorrow afternoon.

Part numbers are blurry because I basically stink at photography! Also, I tore off the part number for the 6' long 3/16" stick without thinking about posting part numbers. Sorry about that!
img_5274_1.jpg   img_5278_1.jpg   img_5276_1.jpg   img_5279_1.jpg   img_5275_1.jpg  

Tags
1979 , cj5 , fiberglass , rollcage , tailgate

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.