Clay's Build Thread - Page 110 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Clay's Build Thread

Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinJeep Wrangler Complete Gear Upgrade Kits with Installs andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-28-2011, 06:04 PM   #1636
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

My 'glass tub is just like yours, Scott. The mounts just rest against the protrusions (t*ts). But...I didn't use typical Jeep CJ rubber cab mounts, I used the 'glass tub mounts that you cut from a rubber tube. There's no sign of cracking around them, so I would think that putting the board in there is unnecessary.

Rich

There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
rixcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2011, 06:13 PM   #1637
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Okay... the only really good thing that happened to the Jeep today! Clay truly enjoys the welding/metal work, and it's a significant feeling to watch my son understand and act on his own. I mean, that's what we're training our children for... right? At one point, he came over and gave me a tip on how to do the glass!! G-r-e-a-t! We pmocked up the gas tank and skid only to find that the arch support, where the front of the skid mounts, didn't match up. That HAS to be because we didn't get the crossmember in the correct spot. But the tub mocked up well, so it is what it is! So Clay set about extending the lip of the arch support. We will drill mounting holes in it to match those on the skid, and we'll add some straps to the new bracket to make sure it doesn't bend from the weight of a full tank. Here is Superstar Clay...

Finished weld on the rear crossmember. Clay is using 1/8 6013 rods (rusty rods to boot) for his welds today.

Here is the bracket he made out of some angle we had in the shop.

Pretty cool...!

Clay's beads as he skips around on the bracket.

Most kids have a dog... Clay has a welder!

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2011, 07:29 PM   #1638
1983 CJ7 

Great looking welds Clay
Unread 08-28-2011, 09:25 PM   #1639
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicR1 View Post
I've got no answers for you, but it looks good… I liked the idea of the full length piece, though…
Yeah, I'd rather have the whole board back there for strength. I need to go back to it with a better attitude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rixcj View Post
My 'glass tub is just like yours, Scott. The mounts just rest against the protrusions (t*ts). But...I didn't use typical Jeep CJ rubber cab mounts, I used the 'glass tub mounts that you cut from a rubber tube. There's no sign of cracking around them, so I would think that putting the board in there is unnecessary.

Rich
The protrusions don't match up with the crossmember... the puck won't hit them. I have to fab something for the puck unless I use a metal strap like in Bill's earlier pics. What do think Rich?

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Unread 08-29-2011, 07:30 AM   #1640
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post

The protrusions don't match up with the crossmember... the puck won't hit them. I have to fab something for the puck unless I use a metal strap like in Bill's earlier pics. What do think Rich?
Are you saying that the tub is too far forward, or backward, to line up with the rear crossmember?

Is there any way that you can place the tub on the frame so that the tub mounts WILL line up with the frame crossmember? Does that throw things off somewhere else?

Actually, on my Jeep, the rear crossmember sticks out from the rear of the tub about 1/2"... it's not perfectly flush. I don't know if this is absolutely correct, or not, because the Jeep was this way when I bought it.

But, like I said, quite a while ago...the critical starting point for mounting a tub is where the bellcrank bracket mounts (to the tub). THAT has to be in the right place, or the geometry of the ballcrank will not be correct.

There are only two mounts in the rear of the tub. If you cannot get the tub to line up correctly, then your probable choices are to see if Clay can weld some extenders to the crossmember that will reach the tub mounts, or else add the wood, as you have suggested.

Rich

Unread 08-29-2011, 02:21 PM   #1641
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Clay nice job. As usuall too . Did you take the shackle hangers off and weld across the bottom too? I have a suggestion in regard to the angle iron that you added to the crossmember. Right now you got a seam welded and it looks great but that's not as strong as it could be. If you'd weld some straps across the seam it would be a big help. Maybe some more of that same angle iron or flat stock that's about 1/4" thick x 1" wide. Here's your picture with the additional bracing outlined in red. I'd put at least three on there.
img_5140_1.jpg  

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2011, 05:16 PM   #1642
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Are you saying that the tub is too far forward, or backward, to line up with the rear crossmember?

Is there any way that you can place the tub on the frame so that the tub mounts WILL line up with the frame crossmember? Does that throw things off somewhere else?

Actually, on my Jeep, the rear crossmember sticks out from the rear of the tub about 1/2"... it's not perfectly flush. I don't know if this is absolutely correct, or not, because the Jeep was this way when I bought it.

But, like I said, quite a while ago...the critical starting point for mounting a tub is where the bellcrank bracket mounts (to the tub). THAT has to be in the right place, or the geometry of the ballcrank will not be correct.

There are only two mounts in the rear of the tub. If you cannot get the tub to line up correctly, then your probable choices are to see if Clay can weld some extenders to the crossmember that will reach the tub mounts, or else add the wood, as you have suggested.

Rich
We've mocked the tub up and had it sitting right where it needs to be. The tub is flush with the crossmember. The protrusions on the tub don't line up with the factory mount placements on a side-to-side relationship. We could weld something to the crossmember, but the protrusions are very shallow compared to the puck. Bellcrank is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
Clay nice job. As usuall too . Did you take the shackle hangers off and weld across the bottom too? I have a suggestion in regard to the angle iron that you added to the crossmember. Right now you got a seam welded and it looks great but that's not as strong as it could be. If you'd weld some straps across the seam it would be a big help. Maybe some more of that same angle iron or flat stock that's about 1/4" thick x 1" wide. Here's your picture with the additional bracing outlined in red. I'd put at least three on there.
Great idea, Jim. Much better than what I had suggested to Clay. I know he'll be glad to go burn some more rods!

Unread 08-29-2011, 05:21 PM   #1643
SonicR1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Wow, welds are looking nice!!! I need him to come out here when I get ready to weld all the brackets on the Ford 8.8 I don't have yet for the TJ…

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/sonics-05-tj-build-1168663/#post10985489"][COLOR="yellow"]The TJ[/COLOR][/URL]
2005 Wrangler X 4.0/6 speed, Dana 30/Ford 8.8--4.88--Eaton E-Lockers, 35" MT/R, Smittybilt bumpers/rockers/winch, SonicFab tire carrier, RE 3.5 springs, Zone 1.25 BL, FullTraction 3 link upper rear, RE super flex lower rears, UCF ultra high skid and lo/pro mount, brown dog mml.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sonics-74-cj5-build-1106795/"][COLOR="DarkOrange"]1974 CJ5 BUILD THREAD[/COLOR][/URL]
SonicR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2011, 08:11 PM   #1644
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicR1 View Post
Wow, welds are looking nice!!! I need him to come out here when I get ready to weld all the brackets on the Ford 8.8 I don't have yet for the TJ…
He would do it, Bill! He could weld on your Jeep while I ride around on your new ride!!

Unread 08-29-2011, 10:56 PM   #1645
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
We've mocked the tub up and had it sitting right where it needs to be. The tub is flush with the crossmember. The protrusions on the tub don't line up with the factory mount placements on a side-to-side relationship. We could weld something to the crossmember, but the protrusions are very shallow compared to the puck. Bellcrank is good.
I know what you mean (I think). My rear tub mounts are tall, to reach from the rear crossmember, up to the protrusions.

Rich

Unread 08-30-2011, 12:25 AM   #1646
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

You guys talking about rear body mounts, I don't even have any way to mount a body mount on the rear crossmember of mine. I wish there was, but the rear-most body bushings are on that crossmember that Clay was welding on. There is no provision on the tub for any.

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2011, 10:03 AM   #1647
sweetpeet

Dang nice build
sweetpeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2011, 05:52 PM   #1648
cjdogtoy
1976 CJ5 

looks good sorry I've missed so much
cjdogtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2011, 07:31 PM   #1649
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
I know what you mean (I think). My rear tub mounts are tall, to reach from the rear crossmember, up to the protrusions.

Rich
The tub mount locations (the factory holes for the body bushings) on our crossmember are flat along with the surface of the Xmember. The protrusions on the tub are probably there for reinforcement, and not for body mounts, when it comes down to it. But the holes in the Xmember are not located beneath the protrusions, they are off to the side by several inches. The 2X4 would solve that if I was convinced it would be strong and durable. I just have to make a decision about it. The steel straps would be the simplest thing to do, but I'm more comforatble with the glass. Are the protrusions on your tub large enough to completely support a bushing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutlass327 View Post
You guys talking about rear body mounts, I don't even have any way to mount a body mount on the rear crossmember of mine. I wish there was, but the rear-most body bushings are on that crossmember that Clay was welding on. There is no provision on the tub for any.
That's the way Clay's tub was when we got it... no mounts at the rear. But the Yahoo had bolted the tub directly to the frame in 4 spots, without bushings, so I was concerned that "his way" was the wrong way!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpeet View Post
Dang nice build
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdogtoy View Post
looks good sorry I've missed so much
Thanks, Guys. Where ya been, Dog?

Unread 09-04-2011, 07:32 PM   #1650
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Got some glass work done today before the storm hit... but nothing compared to what I wanted to do. Humidity was real bad. Planning on getting the bottom of the tub painted tomorrow, but that may be ambitious. Have to wait and see. Pa-in-Law said he'll give me a whole day tomorrow... that's cool. They are visiting and leaving Tuesday. Barring weather, we should get a "feel good" chunk done by the end of the day.

Tags
1979 , cj5 , fiberglass , rollcage , tailgate

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.