Clay's Build Thread - Page 109 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Clay's Build Thread

Official Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitLong Arm kits for all JK models from Clayton Off Road

Unread 08-14-2011, 06:23 AM   #1621
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Those are some beautiful sights! Times like that with the family will always be treasured. God bless America.

Unread 08-21-2011, 02:43 PM   #1622
Skerr
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

I wish I had foresight! I mean, really... just think how far ahead those guys are that have the ability to think down the road! I've never been one of those. I have a buddy who is an engineer, and he thinks of everything. I guess I'm a muddling doofus because I just keep fixing/modifying things until no more mods are needed! What I'm referring to is the work I created when we repaired the underside of the bed. By adding the stringers and the biaxial glass, we changed the dynamics of the tub mounts. It turned out that the front and rear tub mounts made contact, while all of the mounts in the middle didn't make contact with the tub at all. Then the upper rear shock mounts hit the stringers. So we have to raise the tub a half-inch or so for clearance. So in this effort, since we already have a brand-spanking-new polyurethane tub bushing set, we decided to add blocks (glass them to the tub bottom) to make up the difference. We have to custom cut/sand/grind each block to make sure there is even weight distribution. One of Clay's buddies hung out after church today, and he is helping Clay with the work. Before pulling the tub, we got each tub mount block right, and we mocked up the fenders and hood. So we could pull the tub with confidence, knowing we could put it right back on when we were through.

We pulled my 7 out of the barn. We rolled Clay's 5 out into the sun (it was hot and muggy). We got to work. Then it started to rain, like, out of nowhere! I don't like my stuff to get wet so I was hustling to get Jeeps back in the barn. We shoved Clay's Jeep under the lean-to, and I forgot to put the hood down!! The hood caught on the top plate of the bay. I had a wooden dowel propping open the hood, so it couldn't close!! Since the tub isn't bolted down it knocked the whole dang tub off the mounts, off the crossmember, etc. Everything had shifted significantly!! So we had to start over. If you have ever labored over getting your tub exactly right, then you know how much this killed me! I think we got it back where it needs to be. Here are a few pics of today's events. It is so hot, so humid, and drizzly that the day is busted! Might as well go take a nap!

Clay's friend Samuel test fitting a wooden block.

Clay and Samuel sanding down some blocks to fit.

Doofus dad forgot to put the hood down, and it hit on the top plate. You should have heard the crunching sound! We didn't find anything broken however. This is while we were setting it back up.

Tightening down the fenders.

I should have kept my mitts OFF the Jeeps this weekend! But I know we have to help someone move next Saturday, and then the next Saturday we are joining other familys for a river trip. Who knows if we'll ever get this done!?

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2011, 02:54 PM   #1623
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

I know your pain Scott. Slow and steady wins the race. How long until you think you'll be ready for paint?
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2011, 03:17 PM   #1624
Skerr
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Thanks Mike. You're definitely an inspiration to us. If we could just get the tub off and the blocks glassed on, we could go ahead and paint the bottom of the tub and be done with that. Then, we have some filler to do on the interior/exterior, and a little bit of glass. If we could coordinate we could be ready to paint in a week... 2 weeks if if I am conservative!! There is maybe 3 solid, good days of work to be ready to paint, but we'll d-r-a-g it out! We are so close to that point. We still have to finish putting Crabtree's shackle hangers on the front, sway bar bracket, and engine/frame support rod. Oh yeah, and the gas tank/skid plate need to go on. Clay is welding in the rear crossmember as I type. It was just tacked before. We are definitely in the "finishing up" stage. There's just always something coming up to keep us from getting done!

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
Scott's Build Thread
Unread 08-21-2011, 03:40 PM   #1625
mvigo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Scott,

having a resource like the Suwannee River across the street has to be nice! I agree with Bill, I just got back from vacation a few days ago and seeing that river makes me want to go back! And part of my vacation was taking my kids into the Rubicon Springs with Bill for the day...
1985 CJ-7, fuel injected 258, 2.5" Rubicon Express Extreme Duty Lift, 1" Body lift, Crabtree Shackle Hangers, T-5, Dana 300 w/ 4:1 Teralow kit, Dana 30, AMC 20 w/1 piece axle, 3.73 's with Detroit Truetrac front and rear, riding on 32x11.5x15" Cooper Discoverer STT mud terrains
mvigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2011, 04:24 PM   #1626
1983 CJ7 

I did something like that one time Scott. I had a beautiful 77 Nova, 350, bright yellow perfect paint job, IROC wheels...it was sweet. I was working on it and for some reason I can't remember now, I had a car ramp in front of the passenger side front wheel when it started to hail out of nowhere, I jumped in an gunned it to get in the garage, up and over the ramp and it slammed down hard on the ramp and smashed the lower fender and rocker

On the braces, time for a little re-engineering
Unread 08-21-2011, 07:51 PM   #1627
Skerr
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvigo View Post
Scott,

having a resource like the Suwannee River across the street has to be nice! I agree with Bill, I just got back from vacation a few days ago and seeing that river makes me want to go back! And part of my vacation was taking my kids into the Rubicon Springs with Bill for the day...
That's cool that you went with Bill. I would enjoy that myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
I did something like that one time Scott. I had a beautiful 77 Nova, 350, bright yellow perfect paint job, IROC wheels...it was sweet. I was working on it and for some reason I can't remember now, I had a car ramp in front of the passenger side front wheel when it started to hail out of nowhere, I jumped in an gunned it to get in the garage, up and over the ramp and it slammed down hard on the ramp and smashed the lower fender and rocker

On the braces, time for a little re-engineering
I really hate doing stupid stuff... especially when it has a cost. I had those two boys out there and I wanted to scream! I couldn't let it out, so I grumbled and walked off for a few minutes! I'm glad I didn't mess up my beautiful paint job, though. No telling what I would have done in that instance. Once, I was working on the pump/well at the house (several years ago). It was Sunday and we had company coming over. I had backed over the water line while backing a trailer next to the house. We had no water! I was cutting the PVC and I messed up. I threw my hacksaw as hard as I could! It hung on a dead limb in a pine tree maybe 40' in the air! What a moron! God has subtle ways of dealing with idiots! I learn slow...

Clay's Build Thread
Scott's Build Thread
Unread 08-21-2011, 08:18 PM   #1628
1983 CJ7 

Yep, he lets us do crazy things to release our frustrations and allowing time to look back and laugh about it. Then a chance to re-engineer a solution to get back to square one with the lowest cost and time penalty
Unread 08-21-2011, 09:07 PM   #1629
mvigo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
I threw my hacksaw as hard as I could! It hung on a dead limb in a pine tree maybe 40' in the air!
I don't care who you, the image of that has to make one laugh!
1985 CJ-7, fuel injected 258, 2.5" Rubicon Express Extreme Duty Lift, 1" Body lift, Crabtree Shackle Hangers, T-5, Dana 300 w/ 4:1 Teralow kit, Dana 30, AMC 20 w/1 piece axle, 3.73 's with Detroit Truetrac front and rear, riding on 32x11.5x15" Cooper Discoverer STT mud terrains
mvigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2011, 06:04 PM   #1630
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Threw the hacksaw up in the tree, the HB sander got hurled to the floor and you tried to tear the hood off Clay's Jeep!!

Looks like the guys are gettin things under control. You all are moving forward, that's good.
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2011, 06:31 PM   #1631
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Hey Scott, I don't know how I missed the canoe trip pictures, looks like a great time was had, except for the snake, I would have never imagined Northern Florida with cliffs. Thanks for putting up the pictures.
O, to me that is a big snake, and I'm not a fan of them.
RBF's tonight, at the FH.

BILL
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2011, 06:53 PM   #1632
Skerr
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
Threw the hacksaw up in the tree, the HB sander got hurled to the floor and you tried to tear the hood off Clay's Jeep!!

Looks like the guys are gettin things under control. You all are moving forward, that's good.
Thanks for pointing that out Jim. I forgot about the inline sander. Good thing there wasn't a little Chinese guy standing next to me at that moment!! There have been other things along the way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucdog View Post
Hey Scott, I don't know how I missed the canoe trip pictures, looks like a great time was had, except for the snake, I would have never imagined Northern Florida with cliffs. Thanks for putting up the pictures.
O, to me that is a big snake, and I'm not a fan of them.
RBF's tonight, at the FH.

BILL
Snakes are cool! I like snakes.

We are trying to organize another canoe trip with... friends this time. It's a lot of fun. And I wish I had an RBF too. I'm jealous...

Clay's Build Thread
Scott's Build Thread
Unread 08-28-2011, 05:41 PM   #1633
Skerr
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Several things going on today, but Clay is the only one who had is act together! Clay was welding, which I'll post up in a minute, but first, the problem I am having with some glass work. I need your input whether I should do this glass work or not. Is it needed? Bill (lucdog) posted up pics of metal straps for bracing for the rear/crossmember tub mounts. I am trying to use some wood glassed in to create a mounting surface for the pucks located at the rear crossmember. In the end, I threw everything on the ground, and in total disgust, came in the house! So... without further adieu...

This is a pic of the underside of the tub. There is a factory rib to strengthen the back. I THINK the rib has these t*ts to create a surface for the pucks to rest on, but they don't match up to anything. So I have to make/do something.

I cut this PT 2X4 to fill along the entire width of the tub. It would rest against the rib. I figured it would strengthen the back of the tub, make it more rigid. And it would make a nice mounting surface for the pucks.

The rib was not evenly installed from the factory, and you can see that one end causes the board to extend beyond the edge of the tub.

The other end looks pretty good.

So I removed some glass to make the 2X sit lower, and that worked, but I have to remove quite a bit more to get it right. My problem today is that I really don't want to have glass dust all over me!

So because of the relationship between the rib and the board, I cut the board into blocks thinking it would be easier to work with. I am contemplating just glassing in the blocks at the corners. I am concerned that glass won't be strong enough to hold the blocks against the weight of the tub, and that in time, the glass will crack around the blocks. It will have the narrow edge of the block against the tub, and the puck would create leverage against the glass seam. Would it hold? Am I thinking right? Wrong? What do you guys recommend???? The other concern is the amount of filler work that will be needed to blend the glass that overlaps the exterior surface of the tub.

For now I am done with it! I lay in bed thinking about what I have to do, and I think about how easy it will be to complete, and then we can paint the bottom of the tub and concentrate on the inside, but karma is killing me today!

Clay's Build Thread
Scott's Build Thread
Unread 08-28-2011, 05:58 PM   #1634
SonicR1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I've got no answers for you, but it looks good… I liked the idea of the full length piece, though…

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/sonics-05-tj-build-1168663/#post10985489"][COLOR="yellow"]The TJ[/COLOR][/URL]
2005 Wrangler X 4.0/6 speed, Dana 30/Ford 8.8--4.88--Eaton E-Lockers, 35" MT/R, Smittybilt bumpers/rockers/winch, SonicFab tire carrier, RE 3.5 springs, Zone 1.25 BL, FullTraction 3 link upper rear, RE super flex lower rears, UCF ultra high skid and lo/pro mount, brown dog mml.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sonics-74-cj5-build-1106795/"][COLOR="DarkOrange"]1974 CJ5 BUILD THREAD[/COLOR][/URL]
SonicR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2011, 05:58 PM   #1635
Skerr
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Here is my work on all the blocks the I glassed into place. These blocks are at each puck. In light of all the other glass work we did, once we mocked the tub on the frame, not all of the pucks made contact with the tub. So we custom cut some blocks for each mounting area, shaving some of them to the correct thickness so we had consistent contact at each puck. I ronically, and without meaning to do it, we have created a body lift on the this dad-blamed Jeep, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but we don't know how much it is!! I'm guessing an inch and a half.

The custom blocks are in place.

The precut glass was sitting on top of each block so I could zip through the resin process, and a gust of wind came up and blew them all over the place... adding to my diminshing attitude!

Glassing the blcoks in...

My crappy work! I didn't have my heart in it. Still, the blocks just need to stay there. They don't have to waterproof as they are PT. I'll clean them up with the DA and maybe, MAYBE add a little more glass. These things were a PITA, and I shold have put a 45* bevel on each side.

Clay's Build Thread
Scott's Build Thread

Tags
1979 , cj5 , fiberglass , rollcage , tailgate

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.