Clay's Build Thread - Page 106 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Clay's Build Thread

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 08-02-2011, 08:55 PM   #1576
mvigo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Definately fill in the tailgate, definately add the fenders, grill and hood on 1st before you do anything else and I agree with MoC on the Daystar 1" body lift...it looks good, and really does make working on and cleaning up the underside of your CJ that much easier...

1985 CJ-7, fuel injected 258, 2.5" Rubicon Express Extreme Duty Lift, 1" Body lift, Crabtree Shackle Hangers, T-5, Dana 300 w/ 4:1 Teralow kit, Dana 30, AMC 20 w/1 piece axle, 3.73 's with Detroit Truetrac front and rear, riding on 32x11.5x15" Cooper Discoverer STT mud terrains
mvigo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2011, 10:41 PM   #1577
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

I agree on the daystar 1" body lift. I guess I'm the only one so far, that likes a tail gate. Just like the one on your 7 with the embossed Jeep letters. With possibly a CJ7 spare tire carrier. On second thought, Clay could also weld up a bumper mount carrier, and incorporate a hi-lift mount into it.

Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2011, 03:38 AM   #1578
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Mine has the solid rear, and at times I wish I could just open a gate. Never really knew how I'd do it until I read your thread hear. I started where you told me about the hood repair, and have FINALLY made it to the end! Great reading! I would say though, that the back being solid makes it more solid. I'd wonder about the sides sagging or flopping in time, but I imagine if the roll bars are installed to them, it would give it more support.

Wow, reading about the rotten wood makes me fear for the future of mine! I need to fill in a few holes I've made recently mounting the new seats and such. Also the PO drilled a couple holes thru the floor as drain holes. At least the drains I made I put stainless A/B airline fitting inserts in and glued them in place to seal the wood at each hole.

I'll have to take those pics of the front mounts. Yours look more solid. Picture a flat sheet of glass, bent in a 90* angle, open on each side. Then you reach in thru a side opening, put the bolt down thru the hole and thru the mounts, and tighten it down. I've noticed my DS mount is starting to crack. At least now I feel more secure on repairing that!

Congrats to Clay on his welding, too! I took a class in college for 1 term, it as a basic intro-type welding class where you do a little of O/A cutting/welding, Stick, MIG, TIG, and Plasma cutting. Had to do the different positions on the MIG and Stick, and weld some exhaust pipe with the O/A. It weas fun, but I wish it would have been like Clay's has been.

I have really enjoyed this thread, not only in the info/experience sharing part of it, but the way everyone just gets along! It makes everyone seem real, not just a bunch of tech-tippers posting advise. I know I will be following this along from now on, just for the laughs, the camaraderie, and adventures!

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2011, 03:40 AM   #1579
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Oh, and if my suspicions are correct, my tub is a 4WDH one, since the PO seems to have been trying for frequent shopper miles there with all he had bought for it.. I'm going to have to clean it out this week for loading it up for our trip, so I'll snap come pics for you to compare the brands..

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2011, 07:06 AM   #1580
LUFY
1981 CJ7 

Hello all! I am pleased to announce that I made it all the way through this thread (so far). I am wondering if the devotion to reading this thread is the same kind of devotion that some people have for a soap opera. "What kind of hijinks are they going to pull on next weeks episode?" It has been a pleasure to read, and I look forward to reading/learning more. Your attn to detail and continual search for excellence are trademarks that are dying these days, along with the value of a man's word (and bell peppers).

I am returning to the land of beer and my honey, and am looking forward to enabling my lovely wife's build thread, so I will keep watching the shenanigans of the Kerr clan. Thanks for a good read.

-Keep your stick on the ice-
LUFY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2011, 04:54 PM   #1581
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
Scott it's looking great from the bottom looking up!!

I think you'd better of grinding the wood away and glassing bacl over it unless things are sitting too low already. Only way you're going to know though is to get the fenders, grill and hood sitting on the frame too. You have to have them to line the tub up.

I'm for filling in the tailgate.
Thanks, Jim. This is one of those times where you think you did something really good, and you're proud of yourself, then you find out how you bad you screwed up! Never, ever thought about shock mounts hitting the bottom. Not too bad, but aggravating! I don't want to grind away that new, heavy biaxial glass. It took so long to get it. We will look for another avenue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmrezg View Post
I'd vote to glass in the tailgate. I think it would look better that way. I also agree with Jim, you should put the from clip on to see how it sits before you go up or down with the tub. Or you can just add a 6" body lift. (that was sarcasm, incase you missed it)
6"!!! Gave me goose bumps for a minute!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoC View Post
Scotty..

I would seal the back back up. A tail gate would be cool to but a lot more work than just closing it back up. Do not like the idea of a cargo net, think it might look funny.

You could go with a daystar 1" body lift to correct the shock problem. Its cheap and if you have not bought new stock bushings yet the daystar kit would knock that out at the same time.

I have was never a body lift fan but when I stuck the 1" daystar kit on I was sold. (Sold on 1" only that is) It makes cleaning off the top of the frame after a day playing in the mud so easy.

BTW, heading to the post office friday if all goes as planned.
Thanks, MoC, on the Post Office trip. Anything else you have around your basement!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvigo View Post
Definately fill in the tailgate, definately add the fenders, grill and hood on 1st before you do anything else and I agree with MoC on the Daystar 1" body lift...it looks good, and really does make working on and cleaning up the underside of your CJ that much easier...
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucdog View Post
I agree on the daystar 1" body lift. I guess I'm the only one so far, that likes a tail gate. Just like the one on your 7 with the embossed Jeep letters. With possibly a CJ7 spare tire carrier. On second thought, Clay could also weld up a bumper mount carrier, and incorporate a hi-lift mount into it.

Bill
As suggested by you guys, Clay will make the back of the Jeep solid. I suggested to him Bill's idea of a Jeep tailgate, and surprisingly, Clay did NOT want to go that route. I told him about the daystar 1" body lift, and he didn't understand why we'd do that. Clay's suggestion is to glass some blocks to the bottom of the tub at each mounting point. I can't find any fault in that! Except that means we don't get to buy anything new for the Jeep. No UPS truck pulling in the drive! Bummer... We bought a new Prothane stock bushing set that you can see in the pics. Anybody have a 1" daystar kit to swap for the Prothane set?? It would save some glass work!!

Clay picked up a TJ rear bumper awhile back. he's going to take it to class to modify it and use it for a temp rear bumper. He is definitely planning on making his own "significant" front and rear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutlass327 View Post
Mine has the solid rear, and at times I wish I could just open a gate. Never really knew how I'd do it until I read your thread hear. I started where you told me about the hood repair, and have FINALLY made it to the end! Great reading! I would say though, that the back being solid makes it more solid. I'd wonder about the sides sagging or flopping in time, but I imagine if the roll bars are installed to them, it would give it more support.

Wow, reading about the rotten wood makes me fear for the future of mine! I need to fill in a few holes I've made recently mounting the new seats and such. Also the PO drilled a couple holes thru the floor as drain holes. At least the drains I made I put stainless A/B airline fitting inserts in and glued them in place to seal the wood at each hole.

I'll have to take those pics of the front mounts. Yours look more solid. Picture a flat sheet of glass, bent in a 90* angle, open on each side. Then you reach in thru a side opening, put the bolt down thru the hole and thru the mounts, and tighten it down. I've noticed my DS mount is starting to crack. At least now I feel more secure on repairing that!

Congrats to Clay on his welding, too! I took a class in college for 1 term, it as a basic intro-type welding class where you do a little of O/A cutting/welding, Stick, MIG, TIG, and Plasma cutting. Had to do the different positions on the MIG and Stick, and weld some exhaust pipe with the O/A. It weas fun, but I wish it would have been like Clay's has been.

I have really enjoyed this thread, not only in the info/experience sharing part of it, but the way everyone just gets along! It makes everyone seem real, not just a bunch of tech-tippers posting advise. I know I will be following this along from now on, just for the laughs, the camaraderie, and adventures!
Rick- I can't tell you how glad I am to provide something useful in this thread. I look at your work, along with some of the others, and I feel like I don't meet the mark. Thanks for your kind words and encouragement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutlass327 View Post
Oh, and if my suspicions are correct, my tub is a 4WDH one, since the PO seems to have been trying for frequent shopper miles there with all he had bought for it.. I'm going to have to clean it out this week for loading it up for our trip, so I'll snap come pics for you to compare the brands..
I know exactly what you are describing. Kind of surprising that that is all that holds the tub to the frame! I have something similar... but different!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUFY View Post
Hello all! I am pleased to announce that I made it all the way through this thread (so far). I am wondering if the devotion to reading this thread is the same kind of devotion that some people have for a soap opera. "What kind of hijinks are they going to pull on next weeks episode?" It has been a pleasure to read, and I look forward to reading/learning more. Your attn to detail and continual search for excellence are trademarks that are dying these days, along with the value of a man's word (and bell peppers).

I am returning to the land of beer and my honey, and am looking forward to enabling my lovely wife's build thread, so I will keep watching the shenanigans of the Kerr clan. Thanks for a good read.

-Keep your stick on the ice-
Thanks, LUFY. More nice words! Wow!! I am humbled. Glad you enjoyed the build, but I truly can't imagine anyone sitting that long! Thank you. We are looking forward to your lovely wife's build........... thread!

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2011, 08:41 PM   #1582
benullman
1981 CJ7 

hey scott, what kind of things does Clay still need for his jeep?

I work at autozone and I part out jeeps (as you know). So make me a list and I will get it all together and I have a shipping connection that might make it cheap.

You have me E-mail or post here....PM get full real fast

Ben
Unread 08-03-2011, 09:13 PM   #1583
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by benullman View Post
hey scott, what kind of things does Clay still need for his jeep?

I work at autozone and I part out jeeps (as you know). So make me a list and I will get it all together and I have a shipping connection that might make it cheap.

You have me E-mail or post here....PM get full real fast

Ben
Thanks, Ben. You make me sick with envy! Clay needs a steering wheel pretty bad! Maybe a 3-spoker with horn button!!!! He's going to need flares and side-marker lights, shift knobs for a T18 and D20, if you come up with them. I know he NEEDS more, but I haven't gotten that far, and certainly we WANT more, but the budget doesn't allow right now. You are a great resource!

edit: Oh yeah... the rubber for the pedals. PO taped them on with wraps of electrical tape!

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Unread 08-03-2011, 09:28 PM   #1584
1983 CJ7 

Like this?

or this?

Unread 08-03-2011, 11:46 PM   #1585
benullman
1981 CJ7 

I know about the steering wheel. I have that. Its like Dave posted but its a solid 3 spoke no design. I need to track down the button. I have the D20 knob. Not sure on the T18. I know I have a T18 but I need to see if it has a knob.

I have the pedal rubber also. I know I have a spare marker light let me track down the matching second. I have rear fender flares but no front. I also have seat brackets if he needs them. Windshield hold down knobs? hinges for tailgate/windshield/hood? Stainless or paintable?

Dash lights? OEM gauges? rear seat? tailgate? headlights? trim rings? 4.2L engine parts?

Done worrt about shipping, I might be making a road trip in the near future!
Unread 08-04-2011, 05:09 PM   #1586
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
Like this?

Dat one!

Quote:
I know about the steering wheel. I have that. Its like Dave posted but its a solid 3 spoke no design. I need to track down the button. I have the D20 knob. Not sure on the T18. I know I have a T18 but I need to see if it has a knob.

I have the pedal rubber also. I know I have a spare marker light let me track down the matching second. I have rear fender flares but no front. I also have seat brackets if he needs them. Windshield hold down knobs? hinges for tailgate/windshield/hood? Stainless or paintable?

Dash lights? OEM gauges? rear seat? tailgate? headlights? trim rings? 4.2L engine parts?

Done worrt about shipping, I might be making a road trip in the near future!
You bring up a lot of good points, Ben. Clay has a speedometer, but he needs everything else on the dash... gauges, indicator lights, dash lighting, hold-down knobs, seat belts, glove box (we have the door, but no guts), heater ducting from heater box to windshield... we have lots to buy, find, install. Was planning on using junkyard parts and modifying lots! We intend to modify a family-style roll bar and have three-point belts. No tailgate. What can I provide in trade?? I have CJ7 seat brackets, D30 NT minus knuckles, and not much else. How about a brother??

Unread 08-04-2011, 06:30 PM   #1587
benullman
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
Dat one!

You bring up a lot of good points, Ben. Clay has a speedometer, but he needs everything else on the dash... gauges, indicator lights, dash lighting, hold-down knobs, seat belts, glove box (we have the door, but no guts), heater ducting from heater box to windshield... we have lots to buy, find, install. Was planning on using junkyard parts and modifying lots! We intend to modify a family-style roll bar and have three-point belts. No tailgate. What can I provide in trade?? I have CJ7 seat brackets, D30 NT minus knuckles, and not much else. How about a brother??
what you can trade is GETTING THAT THING DONE!

I just want Clay to have a jeep to drive!!

Let me see what I can find in the next few days. I have tomorrow off and alot of parts to go through. I know I have gauges, lights, hold downs, and steering wheel.

Ill get a box together

Ben
Unread 08-04-2011, 06:32 PM   #1588
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Awesome Ben, way to go

Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2011, 06:35 PM   #1589
benullman
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucdog View Post
Awesome Ben, way to go

Bill
im just paying it back. I had 2 local idiots get me into this stupid 'Jeep thing'....

NOW I LOVE IT!

so I might as well help someone out with all these parts! plus I just plain need room!

Ben
Unread 08-04-2011, 09:46 PM   #1590
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
what you can trade is GETTING THAT THING DONE!

I just want Clay to have a jeep to drive!!

Let me see what I can find in the next few days. I have tomorrow off and alot of parts to go through. I know I have gauges, lights, hold downs, and steering wheel.

Ill get a box together

Ben
I don't know what to say, Ben. Words completely fail me! God bless you, Brother! We appreciate it very much. Let me know what I can do for you. Besides shipping, I need to pay you SOMETHING for those parts!?

Tags
1979 , cj5 , fiberglass , rollcage , tailgate

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.