Clay's Build Thread - Page 104 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Clay's Build Thread

Zone Offroad Body and Suspension Lift Kits, Brackets, DiscBilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and CStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 07-31-2011, 07:07 AM   #1546
1983 CJ7 

Happy Anniversary and great job on the tub, it is crazy see you guy's making progress during this heat wave!

Unread 07-31-2011, 10:00 AM   #1547
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiz View Post
Awesome work on the fiberglass guys! That is some serious mat you were working with.
Thanks, Mike. It is definitely heavy stuff. I should have done a little better planning before I permanently put it down. Coulda been a little nicer job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rixcj View Post
Great job, guys! Very impressive!

This is a great "bonding" experience for you and Clay, Scott.....

Rich
LOL! Good one Rich. There's more truth than fiction in that comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stgil View Post

Regards,

Gilles
Thanks, Gilles... good to hear from you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmrezg View Post
This is truely a great build thread. I recently bought an '82 cj5 and am looking foward to the time that my son and spend together, while rebuilding it.

Keep up the good work Scott.
It is a wonderful project, but like everything, has its ups and downs. Be patient with your son as he will have many interestes that require his time. Take your time. How old is he?? Let me know if there is anything I can share.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
Happy Anniversary and great job on the tub, it is crazy see you guy's making progress during this heat wave!
Mannnnn.... I'm glad to see that you are finally awake! You gotta do what you gotta do when you gotta do it!

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2011, 10:07 AM   #1548
mrmrezg
1982 CJ5 

My son is nine, he is still a little young to be of much help, but this build will take a while. I am hoping that the jeep grows with him as this will be his ride when he gets to high school.
mrmrezg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2011, 11:48 AM   #1549
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

9 is a great age. Let him use your impact, or do simple, rewarding jobs like that. He will love it.

The little guy in the pic turned 12 last week. The big boy is the Jeep owner. They are installing a set of Crabtree Shackle hangers. They both love it and I have two more!

100_1359_1.jpg  

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Unread 07-31-2011, 12:03 PM   #1550
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

We are rocking this weekend! Have you ever gone to bed on Sunday night feeling like you wasted your weekend? Not this time...

We have a couple odds-and-ends left to glass underneath, then we can paint it. I can see the light, boys! Here we are finishing up the tub mounts that we installed earlier in the thread. We're using ounce and a half mat with polyester resin. 16 ounces resin and 5 CCs hardener... gave us about 30 minutes working time. I apllied the resin the glass and Clay rolled it out. The lighter material makes bends a whole lot eaiser. Just the same, notice how to make relief cuts to make the glass lay down.

Here we go...

Showing the precut piece to use over the tub mount. I laid it out first, cut with scissors, allowing 3"-4" overlap for strength.

Here I'm just showing how much I overlapped. I tried to be consistent all the way around, but you can't always do it that way. Do what you can.

Notice how it puckers up when you force it down to it final shape? You don't want that. Break out the scissors.

Here I've made relief cuts to get the material to lay flat at the corners. I cut off pieces that were excess and used them to reinforce the corners. You can do more than one layer at a time as long as you get it wet to the bottom. It saves time and clean up.

I didn't have enough left over for one big piece, so I cut this piece up to cover the mount area. You should make the material overlap a couple of inches.

Here is everything precut and in place. Notice the mount on the right side with mulitple pieces to cover the mount. All of the small pieces are covering PO holes!

I bought some bulk resin from my friend Hal. I'm using a 12 ounce cup to measure 16 ounces of resin. Then I used 5 CCs of hardener. This is reduced from Hal's recipe of 32 ounces resin to 10 CCs hardener.

I'm using a 10 CC syringe for accurate hardener measuring. You really DON'T want to just squirt an unknown quantity of hardener into your resin. Pour in the required amount and stir very, very well.

DONE! We are getting closer to painting the underside and being done with it altogether.

Unread 07-31-2011, 02:21 PM   #1551
mrmrezg
1982 CJ5 

so after all of the work that you and Clay have had to put into this glass tub, would you recomend a fiberglass tub as a replacement or would you suggest steel?

i ask because i may be replacing mine, it has quite a bit of rust.
Unread 07-31-2011, 03:42 PM   #1552
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
so after all of the work that you and Clay have had to put into this glass tub, would you recomend a fiberglass tub as a replacement or would you suggest steel?

i ask because i may be replacing mine, it has quite a bit of rust.
If you spend some time going through some of the builds (maybe you have already) Like Coiz, 243, Eaglekeeper, you will see some very fine body work from guys who are teaching themselves as they go. All these guys have steel bodies, and they make it look easy. Clay's is glass. I also have a 7 waiting for me to start, and it is steel. In my own opinion, I prefer to work on glass. But that is probably because that is what we started with. The little metal work I have done with my 7 (Scott's Build Thread), and the steel windshield frame for Clay's Jeep, has been MUCH different compared to glass. There are pros and cons to both sides... glass requires more detailed grounding; you itch real, real bad if you don't protect yourself when grinding/sanding. Metal is noisy, needs lots of specialized tools, but you don't itch! That may not be any help! Sorry about that. If your tub is repairable I would stay with the steel and teach yourself how to do it. Glass tubs are very pricey, but they never rust.

Unread 07-31-2011, 03:55 PM   #1553
mrmrezg
1982 CJ5 

being new to this forum i can't post pics, yet. so i can't show you what i am working with, yet. i feel that the sheet meteal can be repaired, but i don't know the first thing about body work. i am worried that i will spen time and money repiaring what i have only to end up replacing it.
Unread 07-31-2011, 04:02 PM   #1554
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Scott, happy Anniversary to you and Beth! Sounds like you had a great time.

On Clays shifter, great job Clay, I'm adding of picture of a knob. Had them made at one of those places that make name plates, and trophies. I used die grinder to gouge the knob out a little, and glued it on. IIRC there 3 or 4 bucks each.
The under side of the tub looks like new, awesome job.

BTW, Vicki says my hands look great, from not working on jeeps for two weeks.
Bill
forumrunner_20110731_165945.jpg  
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2011, 04:11 PM   #1555
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
There are pros and cons to both sides... glass requires more detailed grounding; you itch real, real bad if you don't protect yourself when grinding/sanding. Metal is noisy, needs lots of specialized tools, but you don't itch!
Steel has it's drawbacks too, take the boat trailer >>> utility trailer conversion project as an example. I cut my head open on a sharp bracket crawling around under the trailer, set my sock on fire grinding (big orange fire with lots of smoke) and shocked myself with the stick welder so bad it felt like someone hit my elbow with a mini-sledge!!!

A little itching don't sound too bad

Smart idea on the shifter cap Bill
Unread 07-31-2011, 04:12 PM   #1556
1983 CJ7 

Clay, the red paint on the shackle hangers looks cool
Unread 07-31-2011, 04:37 PM   #1557
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
being new to this forum i can't post pics, yet. so i can't show you what i am working with, yet. i feel that the sheet meteal can be repaired, but i don't know the first thing about body work. i am worried that i will spen time and money repiaring what i have only to end up replacing it.
You can post up pics if you open up a Photobucket account, or something comparable. All the pics that I posted in this sequence are actually hosted at Photobucket. You just post the link, and like magic, they appear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucdog View Post
Scott, happy Anniversary to you and Beth! Sounds like you had a great time.

On Clays shifter, great job Clay, I'm adding of picture of a knob. Had them made at one of those places that make name plates, and trophies. I used die grinder to gouge the knob out a little, and glued it on. IIRC there 3 or 4 bucks each.
The under side of the tub looks like new, awesome job.

BTW, Vicki says my hands look great, from not working on jeeps for two weeks.
Bill
Thanks for the Anniversary wishes. Are you saying my hands look bad, Bill? Hmmm?? Cool idea for the shift know... I'll check that out. Clay is going to need some kind of directions which way to push the shifter!

Quote:
Steel has it's drawbacks too, take the boat trailer >>> utility trailer conversion project as an example. I cut my head open on a sharp bracket crawling around under the trailer, set my sock on fire grinding (big orange fire with lots of smoke) and shocked myself with the stick welder so bad it felt like someone hit my elbow with a mini-sledge!!!

A little itching don't sound too bad

Smart idea on the shifter cap Bill
Geez, Dave... I'm glad you're still kicking! You set yourself on fire??

Quote:
Clay, the red paint on the shackle hangers looks cool
I don't know how long the red paint is going to last. I have a strange feeling that once this is all back together, and he is driving it back and forth to college, that everything is going to turn gray, then rusty, then fall off! What's the point...

Unread 07-31-2011, 05:06 PM   #1558
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Scott said "Are you saying my hands look bad," . Nope, mine did, not anymore though. lake water cleaned them right up. Heck, I could be a hand model.

Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2011, 05:37 PM   #1559
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Nice work on the tub fellows! What are you going to do on the rear tub mounts as far as a mounting point?

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2011, 05:43 PM   #1560
mrmrezg
1982 CJ5 

i was going to post a couple pics of my 5, but would rather not highjack your thread. i will start another thread with the pics.

Tags
1979 , cj5 , fiberglass , rollcage , tailgate

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.