Clay's Build Thread - Page 103 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Clay's Build Thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 07-17-2011, 03:22 PM   #1531
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicR1 View Post
Holey cow man, you got them things to grow… I can never get anything to grow like that. My stuff starts to grow then shrivels up and dies… My dad got one of those topsie tervie things, he was able to grow some nice tomatoes, I've been thinking about using something like that!!!
Those tomatoes taste backwards to me!

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2011, 03:35 PM   #1532
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Almost done sandblasting the tub bottom. PO had applied some kind of undercoating in places... can't reason out his logic, but I'm not going to worry about it. I will sandblast those areas and repaint, but it ain't going down to bare glass. The tranny tunnel and the oil stain "dried up" with the sand, but the sand did not remove it. It will have to be ground. Proper media and enough pressure would likely remove the oil stains.

Pics of the unit I am using... borrowed. I've posted them up before. It works great for this type of work. 80-90 PSIs of air and filtered play sand. This combo works very well on fiberglass.
img_4898_1.jpg   img_4899_1.jpg   img_4901_1.jpg   img_4903_1.jpg  

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Unread 07-17-2011, 03:41 PM   #1533
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Clay welding up his shifter knob. The original thread was broken off, and there was no knob when we acquired the Jeep. He (actually Mom) found a knob in a Ford truck at the junkyard. So he made it work, welding up a bolt of the same thread pattern. This is the New Model 5 Speed T18A! Cracked me up how proud he is of it. He brought it in the house so Mom could take a pic!! Small victories are very important. He sanded the knob and will paint the whole thing, so you won't see the 5 spd emblem.
img_4896_1.jpg   img_4897_1.jpg   img_4902_1.jpg   img_4905_1.jpg  

Unread 07-22-2011, 03:51 PM   #1534
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

I leave for a few days and you get allot of work done!! The bottom of the tub is cleaning up great. It won't be long till that done and you'll be moving on. Great fix on the gear shift knob too Clay.

Oh and happy 22nd anniversary to you and Beth!!

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2011, 08:50 PM   #1535
FamillyCJ7
1983 CJ7 

I plan on buying the Kentrol add on front bar for the CJ, maybe Clay can weld it to the family bar for me
Unread 07-23-2011, 05:53 AM   #1536
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
I leave for a few days and you get allot of work done!! The bottom of the tub is cleaning up great. It won't be long till that done and you'll be moving on. Great fix on the gear shift knob too Clay.

Oh and happy 22nd anniversary to you and Beth!!
Thanks, Jim. Good to have you back! We did get some good work done, and Clay is really proud of himself () for fixing his shifter. We got the biaxial fiberglass, but I am waiting for a fiberglass roller to arrive before we install it. Bought the roller off Ebay... ad said "expedited shipping", e-mail this morning says "may arrive August 4 or 5"! Nice...

Thanks for the anniversary wishes too! Went out with friends last night to Tex Roadhouse, ate a rare 18 oz sirloin, had a 22 oz glass of Amberbock, finished my wife's ribs! Went for coffee at (you sitting down Bill!?) Starbucks... my first ever in my life experience with Starbucks! My friend produced his Gold Card. I asked him "How do you do this?". He said "You can have any of those sweeteners on the shelf!" So I casually says to him, "I'll have what you're having." So my friend, who happens to be named Bill, and not to be confused with Sonic, orders up a Latte, Triple Grande, with Vanilla and whole milk or something like that. Then the Lady Behind the Counter, holding a cup, says with a pinched nasaly voice, like maybe she'd been snorting Jamaican Blue, "What's your name? And she's holding the cup in her hand with a Sharpie... poised! So I ask her, with the most charming, friendly, southern cowboy voice I can muster, "Iz you ritin r names on them cups cuz we's gonna haf ta use 'em agin?" Can you believe she didn't even answer me. She says "Name", and Bill Says "Julius Caesar!" Got a serious and deep "Doe in the headlight look". I mean completely blank. God I had fun last night. We drank our coffees on the porch of Starbucks. Watched the people walk in and out. And Bill gave me a cigar to smoke... another first ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamillyCJ7 View Post
I plan on buying the Kentrol add on front bar for the CJ, maybe Clay can weld it to the family bar for me
I checked out the same set up after viewing the guy's thread (man, I apologize... can't remember your name). My jaw hit the ground when I saw what the price was for a single hoop of bent tubing! So me'n Clay are going to buy/make a bender, bandsaw, and upgrade welder. Bender first... Clay would be glad to help, Nick.

Unread 07-23-2011, 03:42 PM   #1537
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

An 18 OZ steak. You must have been hungry.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2011, 06:30 AM   #1538
Eaglekeeper
1986 CJ7 

Hey Scott. I'm getting caught up. Happy Anniversary! Careful with the starbucks; you drink too much of that stuff and we'll have to kick you over to the Liberty threads

A ton more pics here.
[URL="http://s1038.photobucket.com/albums/a462/E9Eaglekeeper/"]http://s1038.photobucket.com/albums/a462/E9Eaglekeeper/[/URL]
Eaglekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2011, 08:35 PM   #1539
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglekeeper View Post
Hey Scott. I'm getting caught up. Happy Anniversary! Careful with the starbucks; you drink too much of that stuff and we'll have to kick you over to the Liberty threads
Thanks, Jody!!

Had a Cuban friend that introduced me to "REAL" coffee, his style. Made my eyes bug out!

Clay and I have a Jeep date scheduled for Saturday, if it ain't raining, and I ain't moving somebody, and I ain't got to cut the neighbor's yard. Always something coming up interrupting my Jeep work. The fiberglass roller came in, which we need for the biaxial material. Lots of pictures to come.

Unread 07-30-2011, 03:14 PM   #1540
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Good Jeep day today. Got some good pics. BUT, Clay exceeded our allowed daily usage with Hughes Net, and now we're bumped to modem speed (24 hour penalty for too much downloading). Should be back up to "speed of light" tonight... pics later. It is one hot sonuvagun today!

Unread 07-30-2011, 08:58 PM   #1541
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Well... we just got our satellite back. Hughes Net has a little secret that you don't know about until you get into that predicament! A little money-making program to skim another few dollars away from one of the people who is already paying too much for not enough. What kind of world will my sons be living in? Alright... I'm sorry... off my soapbox.

It was unreal hot today. But I think everybody is experiencing that right now. Me'n Clay got a major fiberglass step accomplished. The bi-axial is done, and the bed of his Jeep is rock-solid. It was difficult to work with. My friend Hal said mix 32 oz of resin to 10 ccs of hardener, stir at least 50X, and you'll have ~30 minutes to work it. He said to pour it on the bi-axial because it would use every bit of it. Hal was right-on, and we actually used 64 ounces of resin. The vapor coming off of this stuff was astounding, and my big fan was close by. Everything set up nice. It isn't nearly as professional as I anticipated, but it ain't bad. Glad it is UNDER the Jeep, though! Before we did anything, Clay took the DA and some 80 grit and hit the surfaces lightly to open the pores.

Here are the pics...

Clay first built some frames to give support to the bed while we were working. Remember, if your bed is sagging when you apply glass, and it hardens that way, it will be permanent. So make sure your surface is ready before you apply. This made the surface flat from side-to-side and front-to-back.

Here Clay is adding some strips of ounce and a half mat to the sides of the stringers for added strength. The strips also fill in the grooves in the bed where they had been worn through by the PO. This should have already been done, but...

Notice how the glass just disappears once the resin soaks into the fibers.

Clay's earlier stringer bracing is dry, and we are test-fitting the bi-axial.

Clay is cutting/trimming to make it lay down better around angles/curves. This stuff was difficult to work with. It did not bend, and we had a lot of air when we were done. Take time to make gentle curved edges around your base pieces... nothing too abrupt. My edges were done with a 3/4 round-over bit, and it wasn't really enough for this heavy material.

Here you can see the two layers of strands running at a 90 to each other, hence the name bi-axial.

Here is a pic of the mat sewn to the backside. I think Hal said the mat was 3 ounces, but not sure. The total weight is 18 ounces.

Just showing how much we overlapped at the fender well... 3 or 4 inches.

This is an air roller. The grooves in the roller allow air to escape while pushing resin down into the material. You simply roll it over the wet area before it hardens. In a perfect world, you will "chase" the air out to the edge and the mat will lay down nice and flat, and you will have a better bond. This roller is aluminum. They also come in plastic, but LT or Acetone could dissolve a plastic one when cleaning up. This is an important tool for quality-minded people. If you don't care, then use cheap paint brushes.

Just roll it over the air pocket, pushing toward the side. Easy!

I rolled over this little air bubble 10,000 times. It consumed me! I could determine no reason for it. It shouldn't have been there. It would not go away. I added resin. I rolled it. It looked good. When I looked again it was back! Little bastidge! gLAD THIS IS JU (oops)st a Jeep, and not something r-e-a-l-l-y important!

Here is the bi-axial all done. It is drying. I could not wait to get a shower. The chemical heat coming off of this stuff was surprising. My skin was burning very mildly. There are several places where we have air pockets, but it will not affect the structural integrity of the bed. Once it is painted you will never tell. It set up hard, and Hal was right... this sucker is some kind of strong. Tomorrow, we flip it over, drag it out to the front yard, throw a couple of lounge chairs in it, and wave at people as they drive by! NOT...

Glad this part is done, and many thanks to Hal for getting me the material and the good deal.

Unread 07-31-2011, 12:07 AM   #1542
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Awesome work on the fiberglass guys! That is some serious mat you were working with.
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2011, 04:37 AM   #1543
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Great job, guys! Very impressive!

This is a great "bonding" experience for you and Clay, Scott.....

Rich

There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
rixcj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2011, 05:09 AM   #1544
stgil
1982 CJ7 

Regards,

Gilles
Unread 07-31-2011, 05:28 AM   #1545
mrmrezg
1982 CJ5 

This is truely a great build thread. I recently bought an '82 cj5 and am looking foward to the time that my son and spend together, while rebuilding it.

Keep up the good work Scott.
mrmrezg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
1979 , cj5 , fiberglass , rollcage , tailgate

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.