Clay's Build Thread - Page 101 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Clay's Build Thread

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 07-05-2011, 08:15 PM   #1501
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

To scale or do you care what size it is? Anything for the Kerr family, well I wouldn't give away my wife, dogs or guns but somedays I'd like to give away this Jeep.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2011, 10:18 PM   #1502
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

I'm feeling a bit low tonight. Today has been a day of mixed emotion. I had to inform a man that his wife died, and I watched him cry like a 4 year old. And tomorrow I will participate in the burial of a good friend. As I grow older, powerful words reveal themselves more clearly, and I gain peace. But it is hard.

On a good note... the fiberglass boat guy, that we have all been waiting for, came by my house this evening and gave me some very encouraging words. Jeep words, that is. He said, "Do this, and this... and this, then that, and you got it". He said he'd sell me all the materials at $1 per pound... that's resin and glass... his cost. One gallon of resin is 18 pounds, that equals $18. One gallon of resin at Lowes is........... $35! He will provide something called biaxial for the bed area that we cut out. Biaxial, apparently, is 18 ounce material with woven and mat incorporated together. He will gelcoat the bottom of the tub, but he said we'd be better off painting the rest. We may web it out (that's like a splatter paint) after Clay paints it. It just depends on what color Clay goes with. I should have the materials next Tuesday or Wednesday. In the meantime, there are some things we can do to the tub to prep it for paint.

Blessings to you, Guys. Life is short.

Psalm 138 and 139.

Scott

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2011, 01:56 PM   #1503
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

I got a little prep work done this morning, but it is fixin' to storm and the humidity has gone through the roof! My glass friend gave us some pointers on how to repair the tub area, so that is where we (I!) started. I am using 3 2X6 PT stringers for strength. Incidentally, it is raining in my backyard, but not in the front yard!

I cut the stringers (2X6s) to length, in this case 31". I made sure that they covered the areas where the tub mounts will be. Those are the outside stringers with one in the middle for good measure. I precut and layed a piece of 1 1/2 ounce mat down on each place. I beveled the ends of the boards at 45* because it is difficult to bend glass. It doesn't like to bend so you need to give it a smoother transition. I also beveled the edges with my router, using a round-over bit. The only reason I am using 31" is because that it the length of the mat.

Next I coated the bottom of each stringer with resin. Then I applied the resin to one strip of glass while it was in place, and pressed the coated side of a stringer against it. Make sure you get them where you want them! Repeat with the other stringers.

I am doing this because the factory wood was rotted and needed to be removed. This left the "Hey, I can see right through it" bed floor! Since I am going to be applying some heavy, heavy mat (18 ounce Biaxial) to the entire underside, it's not necessary to cover the whole area now. No need to waste material. All I want to do is hold those stringers in place. The small piece of mat between the stringers and the tub will reinforce the thin areas I might have covered up... so it is sort of insurance.

I didn't think about how flimsy the bed is right now, and I didn't consider the sag with the weight of the stringers. So I ended up sticking in some props to hold even pressure against the mating surface of the stringers. Anyone who may be faced with this should consider that in advance, and properly brace the work area to make it flat, before you start. And don't do it before it rains!

Here are some pics...

Here are the stringers going in. Two are done. Note the beveled edges.

Extra weight to make good contact on this one side. It was where the bed sagged the worst.

Props... because I'm an idiot! Should have planned ahead!!

FYI- grease and oil stains, like at the tranny tunnel, will grind right off if you are going to paint, etc.

It is pouring now... I'll probably lose the satellite now that I am ready to post! But we need the rain!

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Unread 07-09-2011, 02:33 PM   #1504
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Whoowee... did it rain!!! Wifey helped me get the tub under cover JUST IN TIME!!! Thought I'd post up some tips that my fiberglass friend told me. For your viewing pleasure!

When my friend, Hal, was in business, he was buying 18,000 pounds of resin weekly, a tanker truck load! He told me some interesting things that I did not know.

Resin to glass ratio should be about 50/50. Most of the time you will end up with 65% to 75% resin to glass, and he says that's more than you need. In the boating industry, resin = weight, and that's undesirable. Maybe not such a problem on a Jeep, however.

Hal said grind your surface well. Prep is EVERYTHING! We've all heard that before. Once you have completed grinding the surface, use DRY AIR ONLY to clean. Never use Acetone or any petroleum product because of the oil residue.

He also says don't prep/grind your work area until you are ready to apply the glass. It's okay to wait 2 or 3 days, but not 2 or 3 weeks. He says the pores will close up, and you have to do it again. So do your prep, and then lay your glass.

Hal also said that grease and oils won't soak into the glass, they will stay on top. He said you can grind them right off. He was right!

In the picture below you can see some areas that I have circled...

The yellow circles show where there is a factory 90* angle. Hal said to leave that for strength. Anytime you have a bend in the glass it makes it rigid. I got lucky as I didn't remove it, but I was planning on it to make a smoother joint with the new glass. Not sure now how I will incorporate the new glass, but I have a good teacher.

The red circles show how I positioned the outside stringers along the edge of the factory glass. This will make it easy to join the new glass to the side of the bed, just overlap it. This eliminates an unnecessry bend, and remember, glass doesn't like to bend.

The green circles show where you can see through the bed. I will add some glass to these areas so I can fill from the inside with Duraglas.

Finally, the last pic is the rain! Hope you guys are having a great day. I think it's time for a nap!!
100_1487_1-diagram.jpg   100_1493_1.jpg  

Unread 07-09-2011, 04:10 PM   #1505
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Great work, Scott! Thanks for the teaching session.

Right now, appreciate the rain!

Rich

There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
rixcj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2011, 04:53 PM   #1506
1983 CJ7 

Sorry that you had to pass along the bad news, that would be tough for most people.

The tub is looking great, I do have one question though; would the floor be stronger if the 2x4's ran the full length and were glassed in to the vertical sections?
Unread 07-09-2011, 07:45 PM   #1507
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rixcj View Post
Great work, Scott! Thanks for the teaching session.

Right now, appreciate the rain!

Rich
Thanks, Rich.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
Sorry that you had to pass along the bad news, that would be tough for most people.

The tub is looking great, I do have one question though; would the floor be stronger if the 2x4's ran the full length and were glassed in to the vertical sections?
No doubt that could be done, and it seems logical that it would make it stronger. But you would lose the dynamics of the 90 at each end of the bed. For us, we need the space at the rear because we have to fabricate some kind of tub mounting area for the crossmember, which we'll probably do with a 2X4... don't know how yet, though. Hal told me that with the biaxial across the bottom of the bed it will be strong enough to haul around 55 gallon drums of material! Like you'd want to, but that is beyond any need we would ever have for the CJ. The 2X6s will never bend if they are glassed in properly.

Unread 07-09-2011, 08:05 PM   #1508
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Didn't look like rain to me, mostly the screen door screen.
Btw. 48 hours at work, at time and a half today, there getting closer to paying what I'm worth. I bought desert for the guys with my OT money. RBF's iv'e had 4.

I'll think about ya'll while I'm skiing at the lake next week. Maybe the wife will get a picture of me, and a pepsi finish, ya right. The last time I tried, just missed a stump, and ended up covered in sand, lying on the beach. I might have been going a little fast when the ski stopped hahaha

Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2011, 08:43 PM   #1509
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

A picture to end the day.

Bill
forumrunner_20110709_204308.jpg  
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
2005 TJ Rubicon.
Unread 07-09-2011, 10:40 PM   #1510
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Bill... you have too much fun!! And AWESOME picture! Be careful at the lake this time!

Unread 07-10-2011, 09:45 AM   #1511
benullman
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucdog
A picture to end the day.

Bill
For some reason I pictured you to be a bit older.

Ben
Unread 07-10-2011, 10:26 AM   #1512
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

I am, the picture was last year.
Bill
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
Unread 07-10-2011, 01:07 PM   #1513
FamillyCJ7
1983 CJ7 

Looks like it's coming a long way! You should join up at NorthEastFL4x4.com, I got it completely redesigned and it's starting to grow and get local members. When we get our CJ's done we'll deff have to get together for a nice outing.
Unread 07-10-2011, 03:49 PM   #1514
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by benullman View Post
For some reason I pictured you to be a bit older.

Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamillyCJ7 View Post
Looks like it's coming a long way! You should join up at NorthEastFL4x4.com, I got it completely redesigned and it's starting to grow and get local members. When we get our CJ's done we'll deff have to get together for a nice outing.
If I'm still alive!!

Unread 07-10-2011, 10:15 PM   #1515
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Old Lucdog, and the young whippersnapper, Ben. Put a smile on Scotties face. My life is complete. Except for the Pepsi finish.

Fireman Billy.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
2005 TJ Rubicon.

Tags
1979 , cj5 , fiberglass , rollcage , tailgate

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.