Clay's Build Thread - Page 100 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Clay's Build Thread

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsJK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!

Unread 07-02-2011, 11:43 PM   #1486
benullman
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucdog View Post
Good job, Clay.

This is on the back of one of my t-shirts. I though you might like it. Its currently. 298,000 brothers.

Bill
not to jack this thread but where can I get one of those? I got a buddy of mine that is like a dad to me that has mentored me and helped me out and he got me into volunteering myself (Hope to start the acedemy this fall!). Id love to get him one

Ben

Unread 07-04-2011, 05:03 PM   #1487
Skerr
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

I feel like we've had a good day working although it was interrupted several times. We got back from our friends house an hour ago, and I AM SO FULL! I can't stop drinking.... Cokes, water, tea, etc!!! Clay had a little more gumption than I, and he suggested removing the entire double-walled area of the bed region. I don't know what kind of wood the factory used, but it was junk! Here are the pics of the process of this important tub repair.

These areas are the blocks where the tub mounts make contact. I was going to remove only these areas, but Clay said we needed to go further.

Using the die-grinder I cut around the raised area. Notice the rotten wood. It was wet to the touch.

Here is the hole with the wood popped out.

Glass plug with wood backing.

Beginning cut around the entire double-walled bed section.

A couple of peaks behind the glass.

Exterior skin removed. It was quite wet between the two glass layers. It would have been a waste of time to add glass to the exterior of this tub without making this repair first. We will add some 2X6 PT to the bottom, creating stout mounting pads for the pucks. We will also add an additional 2X6 stringer for extra strength. The interior side of the glass (the piece that is left inside the bed) is so thin you can see through it in places. The PO must have dragged stuff in and out of the back of the Jeep.

Stay Tuned!... Oh Yeah... HAPPY 4TH OF JULY!! We are FREE Baby!!

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2011, 05:37 PM   #1488
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

I don't get it. I thought fiberglass tubs were supposed to be superior to metal. Maybe the big difference is the ability for fiberglass to stand up to road salt?
Unread 07-04-2011, 06:25 PM   #1489
DrDrake
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken4444 View Post
I don't get it. I thought fiberglass tubs were supposed to be superior to metal. Maybe the big difference is the ability for fiberglass to stand up to road salt?
There is plywood in the FB ones. I personally think fiberglass tubs are crap.

This a a very respectable frame off!,,,,
DrDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2011, 06:55 PM   #1490
benullman
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken4444
Fiberglass IS superior when done right. If you had to pay for an FG tub made correctly that would last the test of time it would be $5000 a tub. I would spend the time to copy my metal tub in FG before I bought one

Ben
Unread 07-04-2011, 07:13 PM   #1491
Skerr
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Definitely regarding road salt. I think it is a preference thing. As you know it will never rust and it is easier to repair, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDrake View Post
There is plywood in the FB ones. I personally think fiberglass tubs are crap.

This a a very respectable frame off!,,,,
What is FB? After looking at the different glass tubs some of the other JF members have, I can see that mine is not a quality tub. But then it is OLD, so maybe it was quality in its day?? The original wood was not a marine-grade material. Probably wouldn't have this problem had it been. Appreciate the compliment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by benullman View Post
Fiberglass IS superior when done right. If you had to pay for an FG tub made correctly that would last the test of time it would be $5000 a tub. I would spend the time to copy my metal tub in FG before I bought one

Ben
With the little metal body work we have done I can honestly say that I prefer working with glass. I hate to think of the 7 next once the 5 is done!

I don't know that I would use the word superior as an overall description. Metal or Glass each have their advantages.

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
Scott's Build Thread
Unread 07-04-2011, 07:20 PM   #1492
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

I think Clay made a good call on wanting to go further Scott. Everything has a purpose in it seems, had the guy got right after shooting the glass on Clay's tub and you fellows not fixed that rotted wood in time it would have been allot harder to deal with.

Keep going fellows.
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2011, 07:21 PM   #1493
benullman
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post

With the little metal body work we have done I can honestly say that I prefer working with glass. I hate to think of the 7 next once the 5 is done!

I don't know that I would use the word superior as an overall description. Metal or Glass each have their advantages.
I agree. I am actually contemplating selling FG tubs. But the thing is I want to do them right and that takes time. I would have to invest alot of time in molding and setting up Jigs. Kind of a pipe dream of mine. I LOVE working on jeeps and I also like glass. The thing I would do is not use glass stranded/polyester but use resin epoxy and pressure treated 3/8" floors with 2x6 body mount plates, etc.

idk....something ive been thinking over. I need to get some other projects out of the way before I can do it.

Ben
Unread 07-04-2011, 07:29 PM   #1494
Skerr
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by benullman View Post
I agree. I am actually contemplating selling FG tubs. But the thing is I want to do them right and that takes time. I would have to invest alot of time in molding and setting up Jigs. Kind of a pipe dream of mine. I LOVE working on jeeps and I also like glass. The thing I would do is not use glass stranded/polyester but use resin epoxy and pressure treated 3/8" floors with 2x6 body mount plates, etc.

idk....something ive been thinking over. I need to get some other projects out of the way before I can do it.

Ben
I'm with ya, Ben. I researched chopper systems myself. New, around $9K. Used, a little under half that. My friend, who builds the airboats, says that it is like giving birth when pulling a hull from the mold. He is up all night worried about. I don't know why, but that's the way it is for him. It could be the same for you!!

Clay's Build Thread
Scott's Build Thread
Unread 07-04-2011, 08:35 PM   #1495
benullman
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
I'm with ya, Ben. I researched chopper systems myself. New, around $9K. Used, a little under half that. My friend, who builds the airboats, says that it is like giving birth when pulling a hull from the mold. He is up all night worried about. I don't know why, but that's the way it is for him. It could be the same for you!!
Well, I used to be that way. I used to mold rocket parts and the first few I would just sit and watch them and make sure they were ok and keep messing with them.

After the first 3-4 I had my system down and always got them right (not to sound cocky) so I would have to move on or go somewhere because if you just let it sit and cure its better than messing with it.

If I was to do a body I would do it in about 4-5 pieces then jig them together and make it one solid smooth piece on the sides/floors. Hell, you can even add dye in the epoxy resin so instead of painting I can put on a thick outer layer of epoxy the color you want your jeep and you can sand it smooth and clear coat it.

Ben
Unread 07-05-2011, 06:24 AM   #1496
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Quote:
There is a BIG difference in fiberglass body parts from different manufacturers.

I have seen tubs and noses that were so cheaply made, it was pathetic.

Then, I've seen some that were SO rugged, it was unbelieveable.

It's all up to how much you want to spend.

Personally, I LOVE the 'glass tub and nose on my jeep ...(it's a good one...)

Rich

There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
rixcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2011, 06:43 AM   #1497
Eaglekeeper
1986 CJ7 

Scott, getting caught up. Good call pulling the skin off and getting rid of the rotten stuff. Lay some good marine or dry PT wood, glass it up and it'll last 50 years. Looking forward to the finished product.

Unlike you, I would much rather deal with metal than glass, but it's fun watching.

A ton more pics here.
[URL="http://s1038.photobucket.com/albums/a462/E9Eaglekeeper/"]http://s1038.photobucket.com/albums/a462/E9Eaglekeeper/[/URL]
Eaglekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2011, 06:50 AM   #1498
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Hey Scott I was thinking that maybe since allot of the wood is bad in the tub it might be a good idea to check the areas out where the doors, windshield frame and hood bolt on too. Also if you need anything metal made to mold into the tub or use as a backer let me know and I'll see what I can come up with here in the shop.
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2011, 05:25 PM   #1499
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Well this sucks, having to do this repair. It will be worth it in the end. Good call on Clays part.

I'm wondering if the best FG tubs use composite material like better quality boats. My 21' Chaparral is mostly composite, that I have seen. I'm sure the stringers are not.

I looked at CJ with a glass tub a few years ago. It actually had OSB in the back between the inter and outer panels where the tail gate would be. Soaking wet and swelled up. Geez OSB what the heck.

Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2011, 07:11 PM   #1500
Skerr
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rixcj View Post
There is a BIG difference in fiberglass body parts from different manufacturers.

I have seen tubs and noses that were so cheaply made, it was pathetic.

Then, I've seen some that were SO rugged, it was unbelieveable.

It's all up to how much you want to spend.

Personally, I LOVE the 'glass tub and nose on my jeep ...(it's a good one...)

Rich
When we're finished, Rich, ours will be good too!! Looking at the firewall from the front, where the floor section mates to the firewall, the manufacturer used three large aluminum rivets per each side of the tranny tunnel to hold the floor to the firewall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglekeeper View Post
Scott, getting caught up. Good call pulling the skin off and getting rid of the rotten stuff. Lay some good marine or dry PT wood, glass it up and it'll last 50 years. Looking forward to the finished product.

Unlike you, I would much rather deal with metal than glass, but it's fun watching.
Clay REALLY wanted to drive to town to get some materials, so I let him go! He picked out an 8' 2X6 PT board, a straight DRY one to boot! The boy is back on my Christmas list!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
Hey Scott I was thinking that maybe since allot of the wood is bad in the tub it might be a good idea to check the areas out where the doors, windshield frame and hood bolt on too. Also if you need anything metal made to mold into the tub or use as a backer let me know and I'll see what I can come up with here in the shop.
There is no wood in the door, windshield, hood areas. At least none left that can find!! I think we're okay in those areas. We have to do some filling (PO holes) though. You know, I could use one piece of metal to help with this, Jim. It would be just a small thing... only one piece. Could you make me a backing piece in the shape of a CJ5??

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucdog View Post
Well this sucks, having to do this repair. It will be worth it in the end. Good call on Clays part.

I'm wondering if the best FG tubs use composite material like better quality boats. My 21' Chaparral is mostly composite, that I have seen. I'm sure the stringers are not.

I looked at CJ with a glass tub a few years ago. It actually had OSB in the back between the inter and outer panels where the tail gate would be. Soaking wet and swelled up. Geez OSB what the heck.

Bill
Not much different here, Bill. But it will last for a lifetime when we are done. I am ready, however, to have a SMOOTH part come up so it will go a little easier.

Clay's Build Thread
Scott's Build Thread

Tags
1979 , cj5 , fiberglass , rollcage , tailgate

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.