Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Clay's Build Thread

556K views 5K replies 145 participants last post by  Skerr 
#1 · (Edited)
I have been contemplating posting a build thread for awhile. After viewing some of the current ones I got really pumped! I also figured that as long as I was going to be asking for help fixing stuff I might as well have it in the thread... so here we go. My 16 YO son, Clay, and I are building his CJ5. It's a 79 that I acquired in a boat/Jeep trade nearly 2 years ago. I got it for myself but I don't fit well, so I got a 7 and gave him the 5. He is really stoked about building the Jeep and I can't think of a better father/son project. Clay will be doing the work while I supervise ;). The 5 has a 258, T18A, D20 with axles from an 85 CJ7, D30 and AMC20. Gears are 2.72. We will probably go to a 3.73 in the future. It will get the RC 2.5" lift, Procomp 9000 shocks, and a urethane bushing kit (already purchased). It also has a FG tub which will require a bit of glass work. We had already completed the frame resto when we discovered that we didn't do it right. So we took it back down to bare metal again, finding some rot and a few cracks. We should have those repairs made in the next couple of weeks. After that the frame gets POR-15 and black implement paint. In the meantime, we'll be working on getting the engine painted and installing the MC2100. In these pics Clay is prepping the T18A for paint. He wanted to paint it silver with a red stripe, but I put the Kibash on that! So he settled for a silver tranny and red shift levers... when we get there. He plans to paint the rig International red (tractor paint) with a silver tub floor. Hmmmm... maybe! It MIGHT look good. We just finished watching the entire Season 2 of the Rat Patrol... so guess what HE wants to mount up!?!? :laugh:

Attachments

See less See more
#3,834 ·
We can make you a set!!

my parents used to live in Livingston, just up the road from Yellowstone. Yellowstone is by far my favorite place. I have been able to explore and fly fish there on more then one occassion. Take lots and lots of photos, especially this one (my 3 kids 5 years ago):
That's a BIG gate! I wish I was going with him.

I haven't checked in, in a while.
But, Wow! You guys are on a roll!
Yeah... I noticed. Where you been? Thanks, Shaun.

I do indeed like the sliders. I think I'll have to put an extra piece of round tubing about 1-2" off the slider to act as a step. The poor GF is only 5'4" and she has a hell of a time getting in and out of the CJ.

I hope Clay has a good time in Montana, I love it there.

That's a bummer about your wife :( I still remember my mom getting like that when I went to University of Minnesota. Luckily for her, all my funding fell through when I got there and had to come back.
We wil have some tubing also for steps. I just have to get someone else to bend it for me. Bummer you had to come back from school!

nice sliders, those are going to look really nice on the jeep!
Thanks. Clay "thinks" he's going to weld them up, mask them off, and paint them while ON the Jeep. nuh-uh... he ain't either!

#3,830 ·
my parents used to live in Livingston, just up the road from Yellowstone. Yellowstone is by far my favorite place. I have been able to explore and fly fish there on more then one occassion. Take lots and lots of photos, especially this one (my 3 kids 5 years ago):

Attachments

#3,832 ·
I do indeed like the sliders. I think I'll have to put an extra piece of round tubing about 1-2" off the slider to act as a step. The poor GF is only 5'4" and she has a hell of a time getting in and out of the CJ.

I hope Clay has a good time in Montana, I love it there.

That's a bummer about your wife :( I still remember my mom getting like that when I went to University of Minnesota. Luckily for her, all my funding fell through when I got there and had to come back.

#3,835 ·
Beth e-mailed me at work the other day that her dad had gone out and bought an old F100 for us to "have" while we were building the Jeep. I guess he figured we wouldn't be done in time and would be in a vehicle crunch. I wish he would have asked me about it, or even, if he insisted, to ask what I would have preferred to have. It is going to cost us $1500 if we keep it. I think he will be insulted if we don't. I'm kind of in a bind! It's a nice truck, but I wouldn't have bought it. 302 with 68,000 original miles, one owner.

Attachments

#3,836 ·
Is it going to cost 1500 in repairs or are u having to buy it from him? I notice the quotation marks around have. If you have to pay for it then I would say its an easy choice. Thanks but no thanks. On the other hand it doesnt have very many miles. Might be a decent truck.

#3,841 ·
I am expected to keep it. He says he will take it back if I don't want it, but he would be terribly offended if I tell him that. He bought it up in Hiawasee, GA and drove it all the way down here. He put 4 new Wranglers on it too. It was owned by a doctor, who used it as a farm truck. The doctor died and grandson sold it. He paid $1500. He wants me to pay him $1500, but at my leisure.

Oh I forgot to respond the other day about the jeep and the visit. My schedule rotates soon and maybe we can work something out to get over there. My rig is in desperate need of a complete rebuild,but for now I'm just patching it up and keeping it running to play with. It is a blast. My PO is my uncle so I can't really say anything to bad, but I don't think anything was ever fixed the right way.

The jeep is looking good. Those sliders are sweet! Maybe you and Clay should start making custom parts for jeeps you know like the poison spider brand. You could call your brand Banana spider. Haha.
Goofy Clay Brand!! How about Suwannee Rockers!? Suwannee MetalFab?

Very nice truck I would take it.
You can borrow my FIL if you want to.

I seen this kind of thing happen all the time. I don't get the point. sure he is trying to be nice, but that's really not the way to do things. The point is to help, not create problems. My ex's grandparents would do that stuff and it really fries me! So I will shut up before I dig a hole.
My wife's parents have been very benevolent over the years. They have helped us from small to big many times. My MIL, bless her heart, has awesome intentions, but sometimes poor delivery.

Well Skipper to me its a FORD truck which in my humble opinion is good a good match for the Minnow. Now mind you I have never been a fan of Ford but it seems to work for the Green Acres crowd :)!

On the other hand it may need some wire loom work (you know to help keep the smoke contained in the wires) which you are now expert at!

BTW I found out Bill is jus crazy about the song from Randy Neumann "Short People" http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/alternative-floorboard-dimmer-switch-113380/
Bill is just crazy. Period. And I thought they quit making F100s in the late '70s?

#3,837 ·
Oh I forgot to respond the other day about the jeep and the visit. My schedule rotates soon and maybe we can work something out to get over there. My rig is in desperate need of a complete rebuild,but for now I'm just patching it up and keeping it running to play with. It is a blast. My PO is my uncle so I can't really say anything to bad, but I don't think anything was ever fixed the right way.

The jeep is looking good. Those sliders are sweet! Maybe you and Clay should start making custom parts for jeeps you know like the poison spider brand. You could call your brand Banana spider. Haha.

#3,838 ·
Skerr said:
Beth e-mailed me at work the other day that her dad had gone out and bought an old F100 for us to "have" while we were building the Jeep. I guess he figured we wouldn't be done in time and would be in a vehicle crunch. I wish he would have asked me about it, or even, if he insisted, to ask what I would have preferred to have. It is going to cost us $1500 if we keep it. I think he will be insulted if we don't. I'm kind of in a bind! It's a nice truck, but I wouldn't have bought it. 302 with 68,000 original miles, one owner.
Very nice truck I would take it.

#3,839 ·
Skerr said:
I seen this kind of thing happen all the time. I don't get the point. sure he is trying to be nice, but that's really not the way to do things. The point is to help, not create problems. My ex's grandparents would do that stuff and it really fries me! So I will shut up before I dig a hole.

#3,840 ·
Well Skipper to me its a FORD truck which in my humble opinion is good a good match for the Minnow. Now mind you I have never been a fan of Ford but it seems to work for the Green Acres crowd :)!

On the other hand it may need some wire loom work (you know to help keep the smoke contained in the wires) which you are now expert at!

BTW I found out Bill is jus crazy about the song from Randy Neumann "Short People" http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/alternative-floorboard-dimmer-switch-113380/

#3,845 ·
My grandpa likes to make rash decisions like that. We went out and he bought me a 1983 cj7 for $1400 But the tub was riveted sheet metal the frame was so rusty the the guy before me had to rebuild it with angle iron and there were half dollar size hold on the frame. But it ran. When I got it home though about after two moths of sitting because we didn't trust it to drive the engine locked up. So I told him that I was going to part it out he said ok and I made 1500 on it and now have 800$ worth of tires for my cj5. He made another rash decision and bought this cj5 for me but had my dad on a consult first.

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Vehicle Automotive tire

Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Car Tire Automotive lighting

#3,847 ·
-Wiring to lights is done. Still have to figure out why all the parking lights come on when I turn the key! They are dim, but they come on.

-Got to pull the sliders off and clean them up, Ospho, and paint. Clay was supposed to do that before he left!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm going to kick him when he gets home.

-Wifey picked up insurance for the 5 today. Full coverage is $121.00 per month.

-Looks like I installed the body without connecting a hot wire to the fuel sender at the tank!! Could I have done this? Surely not...

-Confirming size 47 or 48 jets for the 2100??? Where do I get them? Not available locally.

Why can't I get this thing done? Why is this dragging out? Besides tightening/torquing bolts, I think I'm ready to throw a seat in it and take it for a spin. Still have to bleed brakes.

#3,849 ·
I just drove it around the yard!! No brakes, but I didn't hit anything. This is a T18 with granny. Throttle is not connected. It starts off just fine in 2nd gear at an idle. Definitely just fine in 1st. Idling around in the yard, it really hit me that we have done EVERYTHING on this Jeep. It is cool that we did the column, gears and driveshaft, and it actually drives! I figured it would, but I figured, too, it would have been harder than this. Okay... ya'll can send money. There is no memorial or some charity that I want you to give your monies to. Just send them to me in honor of the build!! :D :rofl:

I'll be back... going driving again.

EDIT* It does NOT start off just fine in 2nd. I was just hallucinating with giddiness! It WOULD start off fine if I had a throttle. With RPMs set at 800, I putt around in 1st (granny) like a tractor. Some guy was driving down the road when we were putting through the front yard. He slowed down to get a GOOD look! Makes me feel good!!

#3,854 ·
Actually crossed my mind. That engine in THAT truck is a complete dog! But I could never get away with it.

Skipper, that is a rough corner to get backed into with the truck, BUT, the fact that he expects you to pay him for it, IMO, might give you a little political diplomacy to get out of the deal.

Glad you got the rig all squared away and driving...Ummmm...PICTURES?????
We have some friends that have 9 kids, and the mother says she might be interested in the truck for one of the girls. If we can get 22 or 2300 for it, where FIL gets his money back, then he just had an adventure. But if he has to drive the truck back to Young Harris, he is going to pout through the rest of 2012 on into 2013. Bad deal...

Pics following...

Awesome to hear!!!!!! I have got to get the mrs. to take action pics!!!!
We can't do video with our sub-standard internet service, but here are some "action" shots. Really... they are!

Cameron is the first to go for a ride.

See the blur?? That's cause we're moving! Really!!

Chugging around the yard at 800 RPMs in granny. No throttle at all, just idle... like a tractor! Notice the tail lights are lit?? Haven't figured that one out yet.

Baby jumped in. She knocked down our other son... sent him sprawling! Now he has a black eye and a fat lip. I guess he'd better learn "Ladies First"! :laugh:

And this is why I gave the 5 to my kid to begin with... can't get in or out! once you're in, it's fine. TONS of room with tilt wheel and wheel-house notch. It might be easier for me once the steps are in place. What a weenie!

It is put away in case it rains again. I don't think the alt is charging the battery. Didn't want to risk it not starting out in the yard with rain coming down.

#3,851 ·
Skipper, that is a rough corner to get backed into with the truck, BUT, the fact that he expects you to pay him for it, IMO, might give you a little political diplomacy to get out of the deal.

Glad you got the rig all squared away and driving...Ummmm...PICTURES?????