Clay's Build Thread - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Clay's Build Thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 07-01-2010, 10:35 PM   #1
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Clay's Build Thread

I have been contemplating posting a build thread for awhile. After viewing some of the current ones I got really pumped! I also figured that as long as I was going to be asking for help fixing stuff I might as well have it in the thread... so here we go. My 16 YO son, Clay, and I are building his CJ5. It's a 79 that I acquired in a boat/Jeep trade nearly 2 years ago. I got it for myself but I don't fit well, so I got a 7 and gave him the 5. He is really stoked about building the Jeep and I can't think of a better father/son project. Clay will be doing the work while I supervise . The 5 has a 258, T18A, D20 with axles from an 85 CJ7, D30 and AMC20. Gears are 2.72. We will probably go to a 3.73 in the future. It will get the RC 2.5" lift, Procomp 9000 shocks, and a urethane bushing kit (already purchased). It also has a FG tub which will require a bit of glass work. We had already completed the frame resto when we discovered that we didn't do it right. So we took it back down to bare metal again, finding some rot and a few cracks. We should have those repairs made in the next couple of weeks. After that the frame gets POR-15 and black implement paint. In the meantime, we'll be working on getting the engine painted and installing the MC2100. In these pics Clay is prepping the T18A for paint. He wanted to paint it silver with a red stripe, but I put the Kibash on that! So he settled for a silver tranny and red shift levers... when we get there. He plans to paint the rig International red (tractor paint) with a silver tub floor. Hmmmm... maybe! It MIGHT look good. We just finished watching the entire Season 2 of the Rat Patrol... so guess what HE wants to mount up!?!?

degrease_1.jpg   drying-off_1.jpg   rust-converter_1.jpg   finished_1.jpg   t18a_1.jpg  

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!

Last edited by Skerr; 07-05-2010 at 10:19 AM..
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2010, 11:30 PM   #2
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Pulling up a chair.
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2010, 12:03 AM   #3
fredrok
1985 CJ7 

My step father did the same with me when I was 15 with a 67 Mustang. I can't think of a better foundation to learn endless lessons not only pertaining to mechanics.

Me too.
Unread 07-02-2010, 12:11 AM   #4
rays84cj7

Looks Good! Im also thinking of silver for my transmission and probably engine too. Seems like it would be easier to find leaks with that color. What kind of paint are you using?
rays84cj7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2010, 04:44 AM   #5
1983 CJ7 

Excellent start on the build, keep posting updates.
Unread 07-02-2010, 06:38 AM   #6
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

It looks great so far. Do you think your son will maintain his enthusiasm about the project the whole way through?

One thing I also enjoy about these threads is seeing other people's garages. It looks like you've got a good amount of space to work in.
Unread 07-02-2010, 06:46 AM   #7
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

I'm subscribed! Looking forward to seeing more. He looks like he's enjoying himself.

International red, yep he's a country boy!

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2010, 04:06 PM   #8
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rays84cj7 View Post
Looks Good! Im also thinking of silver for my transmission and probably engine too. Seems like it would be easier to find leaks with that color. What kind of paint are you using?
Clay picked it out while I was at work. He wanted the silver, so he picked one with "Pizazz"! I never told him what to get, but I agree on his selection. It bonded well and looks good.

Dave- Thanks for the tips on resizing. I can't figure out how to resize the original pics, but from now on...
tranny-paint_1.jpg  

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Unread 07-02-2010, 04:17 PM   #9
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken4444 View Post
It looks great so far. Do you think your son will maintain his enthusiasm about the project the whole way through?

One thing I also enjoy about these threads is seeing other people's garages. It looks like you've got a good amount of space to work in.
If/when Clay slows down it gives me the chance to do some work on my own. Every time I come out to the shop to work he joins me. His big brother bought back (from a friend who bought it from me) my 97 F150. Clay knows that when the 5 is done then he will have a cooler car than his brother, and he built it! Hopefully, they'll have about the same investment when it's all done. He'll be driving his 5 to 4-H where all his redneck buddies will see it! But I really think Mom is going to drive it a lot!

I actually built the shop as a pole barn to house my 22' flats boat. But since moving to north Florida we pretty much quit using it, so I swapped for the Jeep. I went ahead and closed it in so I could have it secure and dry. The shop is 26 X 28. The OA barn, with lean-tos, is 36 X 48. It was cheaper to build it then to buy a metal building. It seemed big when there was nothing in it, but now it is too small! It's hard to woodwork and build a Jeep at the same time. BUT IT IS MY MANCAVE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unread 07-02-2010, 04:22 PM   #10
1983 CJ7 

You can re-size the originals and upload them to the location that you are storing them, edit the original post and replace the photos with the re-sized pics.
Unread 07-02-2010, 05:41 PM   #11
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
You can re-size the originals and upload them to the location that you are storing them, edit the original post and replace the photos with the re-sized pics.
I actually tried to do it already. I resized the originals and went to the "edit" function for that particular post. It does not give the option of deleting the "too large" pics, although I can upload more. I looked at deleting that specific post, but since it is the first post in the series, it will delete the whole thread. The pics are on my hard drive. I don't use a separate photo service.

Unread 07-04-2010, 08:56 PM   #12
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

INtake/Exhaust manifold

I was wondering if I can take this apart, clean it up for paint, and put it back together without buying a gasket? We're painting the engine on the cheap and I'm attempting to save the cost of a gasket set. My son is paying for all his own parts. I don't want to cost him money through my attempt to help him with his build... if that makes sense! The red circle is where the two manifolds join. I assume there is some kind of gasket there. The blue lines shows a rod that I assume has to do with prewarming the engine. Could I remove the rod altogether and throw it away? I will be putting an MC2100 on his engine... already have the carb.

We'll be posting up pics of the engine late tonight or probably tomorrow. He painted it silver and black with a red fan! Looks kinda cool! I'll get your feedback later.

Thanks
img_3065_1.jpg  

Unread 07-04-2010, 09:22 PM   #13
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
I was wondering if I can take this apart, clean it up for paint, and put it back together without buying a gasket?...
Is that a Carter BBD? Is it really silver?
Unread 07-04-2010, 09:26 PM   #14
1983 CJ7 

I would use a new gasket or you will be irritated if it leaks and you have to pull it down a second time.
Unread 07-05-2010, 12:11 AM   #15
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken4444 View Post
Is that a Carter BBD? Is it really silver?
Yep... a BBD and it is really silver. But from what I have seen on your rebuild, mine ain't got nothing on yours! I think the picture makes it look more silver than it really is. The PO did some mods that I don't fully understand. There is no computer on this Jeep, but there is the BBD. It will be *available* if anybody wants it. The engine ran great when we pulled averythhing apart, but it has been so long now that I don't remember where everything goes! So I'll be asking for help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
I would use a new gasket or you will be irritated if it leaks and you have to pull it down a second time.
Dave- What is there? The only way to paint it well is to take it apart. My son trusts me to help him with the build. He works part time on a farm making minimum wage. I don't want to carelessly spend his money while I build HIS Jeep MY way. Do you know what I mean? So I don't want him to spend money that he doesn't have to. He's gonna need that money down the road a piece. If it is an inexpensive gasket then I will just buy it myself. What about the linkage?

Thanks

Tags
1979 , cj5 , fiberglass , rollcage , tailgate

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.