Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Clay's Build Thread

556K views 5K replies 145 participants last post by  Skerr 
#1 · (Edited)
I have been contemplating posting a build thread for awhile. After viewing some of the current ones I got really pumped! I also figured that as long as I was going to be asking for help fixing stuff I might as well have it in the thread... so here we go. My 16 YO son, Clay, and I are building his CJ5. It's a 79 that I acquired in a boat/Jeep trade nearly 2 years ago. I got it for myself but I don't fit well, so I got a 7 and gave him the 5. He is really stoked about building the Jeep and I can't think of a better father/son project. Clay will be doing the work while I supervise ;). The 5 has a 258, T18A, D20 with axles from an 85 CJ7, D30 and AMC20. Gears are 2.72. We will probably go to a 3.73 in the future. It will get the RC 2.5" lift, Procomp 9000 shocks, and a urethane bushing kit (already purchased). It also has a FG tub which will require a bit of glass work. We had already completed the frame resto when we discovered that we didn't do it right. So we took it back down to bare metal again, finding some rot and a few cracks. We should have those repairs made in the next couple of weeks. After that the frame gets POR-15 and black implement paint. In the meantime, we'll be working on getting the engine painted and installing the MC2100. In these pics Clay is prepping the T18A for paint. He wanted to paint it silver with a red stripe, but I put the Kibash on that! So he settled for a silver tranny and red shift levers... when we get there. He plans to paint the rig International red (tractor paint) with a silver tub floor. Hmmmm... maybe! It MIGHT look good. We just finished watching the entire Season 2 of the Rat Patrol... so guess what HE wants to mount up!?!? :laugh:

Attachments

See less See more
#3,580 ·
Skerr said:
Do you mean the "points" I was making, or is there something specific about the Jeep you are unsure of?

You keep doing this to me!! Gotta go find a snotrag! Very sound advice Bill. Thank you my very good friend!
Points.

#3,581 ·
Pitcher... if that is your Jeep in your avatar, you know you have a pretty good bit of work to do. Dreams, ideas, imagination, desire, cool factor... all of these things together help shape your days. You want to build this Jeep, and this forum can/will help you do it. But you will get tired of it. That's normal. So did my son and I get tired. But we just went back to our dreams, etc to get us back on track. Our Jeep sat for months at a time while we searched for the motivation to keep building it. There is a lot of work you will complete before it really starts to take shape, and many of us today like to see instant results of our labor. Your Jeep won't work that way. It will be a long-term investment in your character, dedication, resolve, faith, and lots of other words I could mention. It is up to you, and only you, to see it through to the end. If you give up, you fail. Don't fail. Don't set a time limit on it. Don't set a cost limit on it. Just set a picture in your mind of how you want it to look when you are done. That's your goal. Keep it. It has been a little over three years, and my son is now smiling! If it is worth doing, it is worth doing your very best. I'm excited about your desire to rebuild this old Jeep. You can do it.

Sorry Buddy... I'm a dad four times, and I can't help preaching to the youth! :D

#3,582 ·
Skerr said:
Pitcher... if that is your Jeep in your avatar, you know you have a pretty good bit of work to do. Dreams, ideas, imagination, desire, cool factor... all of these things together help shape your days. You want to build this Jeep, and this forum can/will help you do it. But you will get tired of it. That's normal. So did my son and I get tired. But we just went back to our dreams, etc to get us back on track. Our Jeep sat for months at a time while we searched for the motivation to keep building it. There is a lot of work you will complete before it really starts to take shape, and many of us today like to see instant results of our labor. Your Jeep won't work that way. It will be a long-term investment in your character, dedication, resolve, faith, and lots of other words I could mention. It is up to you, and only you, to see it through to the end. If you give up, you fail. Don't fail. Don't set a time limit on it. Don't set a cost limit on it. Just set a picture in your mind of how you want it to look when you are done. That's your goal. Keep it. It has been a little over three years, and my son is now smiling! If it is worth doing, it is worth doing your very best. I'm excited about your desire to rebuild this old Jeep. You can do it.

Sorry Buddy... I'm a dad four times, and I can't help preaching to the youth! :D
My motivation is to have this jeep done this spring at the latest. Check out my build thread cj5 rebuild from frame up.

Money is a factor but I have saved about 2000 dollars by doing all the welding myself and fabricating my own parts. I'm having fun.

#3,587 ·
Perfect! No better way to soak all this up. Build your parts, weld here and there. Buy what you NEED to get it driveable. Or, buy what you want, but doing that will take away ALL your money! Get it where you can drive it and add the things you want as you can afford them. I'll check out your thread in just a bit, then it's beddy-by for me! Good job Trent!

Do you two want to be alone? :rofl: Must feel good to be close to the finish line Scott! Keep pushing him Bill. :thumbsup:
If Bill had a flat head... maybe! It does feel good to be here Paul., and we started our engine before you started yours!! BTW- ALL your paint is going to burn off!! :rofl:

by the way names Trent. just thought you'd like to know that instead of pitcher
Glad to kow ya... :wave:

Scott,

just peeked in, and one big ATTA BOY to the family of Kerrs! You are almost there! :highfive:

Mike
Good to hear from you Mike. Thank you, Sir.

Haha, no, I am looking foward to actually meeting him in person, I don't think he's as tall as he looks, I certain he has lifts in his shoes.

Bill
I just live here and do what my wife says. You're gonna need a stool to get in my Jeep. err... CLAY'S Jeep. :eek:

#3,585 ·
Scott,

just peeked in, and one big ATTA BOY to the family of Kerrs! You are almost there! :highfive:

Mike

#3,586 ·
VACJ7 said:
Do you two want to be alone? :rofl: Must feel good to be close to the finish line Scott! Keep pushing him Bill. :thumbsup:
Haha, no, I am looking foward to actually meeting him in person, I don't think he's as tall as he looks, I certain he has lifts in his shoes.

Bill

#3,594 ·
Gido- I'll be glad just to get it, not leaking and under it's own power, out of the shop!

Bill he ain't got lifts in his choose (Floridian way of saying shoes) and he is definitely not vertically challenged or as some would say height impaired.
I do belive that all that sun and rain in Florida along with the bull hockey he sometime spews has contributed to his height.

However I am most interested in seeing how the Tuna Tower works out on the Minnow see with his height the center of gravity has been moved up to point were I do belive it may capsize
Already told ya. "We Bulls Wobble, but We Don't Fall Down!"

Congrats to the both of you. Keep wrenchin´!
Thanks, Dutch

So what you're saying is, he's kind of like Pinocchio.

Bill
Well... I DO have a big nose!

Nah more like a hillbilly Picaso!
If the shoe fits, and it's comfortable, doesn't cause fatigue, keeps your feet dry, not too hot, easy to tie, and is durable, I say wear it!

congrats on the progress, glad to hear your getting close to the finish line!
Thanks David. Enjoyed the pics of your excursion. Looking forward to your "new" parts getting bolted up.

The thermostat is kicking my butt! I can't get it to stay in place while I "slap" the housing over it. What is the trick? Never have I had this kind of problem with a simple Tstat! I have filed the housing gasket surface flat (it was pitted and ugly), I have a beautiful, new blue gasket, using a trace of Permatex Tstat and Housing silicone, and I every time I torque the bolts water comes out of the housing/block mating surface when I refill the radiator. This is all that's keeping me from firing it up and timing it.

#3,589 ·
Bill he ain't got lifts in his choose (Floridian way of saying shoes) and he is definitely not vertically challenged or as some would say height impaired.
I do belive that all that sun and rain in Florida along with the bull hockey he sometime spews has contributed to his height.

However I am most interested in seeing how the Tuna Tower works out on the Minnow see with his height the center of gravity has been moved up to point were I do belive it may capsize

#3,591 ·
gmakra said:
So what you're saying is, he's kind of like Pinocchio.

Bill

#3,595 ·
Take the hose off the housing, put a piece of string thru the 'hoop' of the stat, and then use the string thru the housing to pull and hold the stat to the housing while you put it in place. That is how I finally beat mine. My PO just used a big slather of silicone to seal the bottom where the old stat had slipped down between the housing and the head...

#3,597 ·
I was in the frame of mind to try that! My ceiling is too low in my shop. Defeated again...

Bill gave me the idea to use a bit of wheel bearing grease around the edges of the tstat. Which I did. And it worked. I am leakless now! *YAY* Except for the RMS slinging oil all over everything!

Pulled the carb. Have a GIANT intake leak under it. Oh, wait. That's a leak! We are FLUID leak free.... except for the copious oil slinging out from the RMS. Oh, wait... I said that already.

Jerry-rigged the exhaust to the manifold outlet. It is MUCH quieter now. It will start right up from the cab (I have the throttle cable hooked up too- fabbed a bracket), but it won't idle. Using propane, I found an INCREDIBLY HUGE leak under the carb. Typical with MC2100 when you have little experience and incorrect gasket.

Tried to time it, but the mark isn't visible. It is way advanced?? Toward the firewall. When I bring the mark back the engine doesn't want to run. Well, it doesn't want to run anyway, but it doesn't want to run more! Is my dizzy off a tooth, or should I not worry about it until I have my intake leak fixed?

#3,599 ·
Fix the vacuum leak, you may need the thick 3/8" gasket for the 2100.

Bill
Working on that now. Clay pulled the carb, and I have a gasket that may work, but it will raise the carb about an inch. He is on his way to TSC for longer bolts.

Where do I plug in my mechanical temp gauge? I have no ports on my intake.

#3,600 ·
What are you using that is another inch taller the the adapter? On the temp sending unit, the location shown in the picture, or just in front of the exhaust where you see the temp vacuum switch. This location may show a few degrees lower than in the head. (factory location, drivers side rear by the valve cover)

Photograph Product Vehicle Motor vehicle Font

Bill

#3,602 ·
Thanks, Bill, for the pic. I'll get that water temp gauge done tomorrow. I am using a phenolic gasket and the factory gasket off the 302 the carb was pulled from. They have a slight imprint on them. If this doesn't work I will get the gasket Paul is picturing.

Thanks, too, Paul. Part number is saved.

#3,603 ·
We got the carb back on and torqued down. It runs some smoother, but still not good. The engine won't idle if you let go the linkage. To be fair, I am trying to tune the engine with a carb that needs a rebuild. It DID come out of AJ's attic after several years of storage! I ordered a 2100 kit from Mike's Carburetors. It is $22.95 plus shipping. His site is comprehensive. I don't know if the 2100 and 2150 kits are the same, but I DO know if you order one from NAPA you get a 2150 kit. I am skeptical the rebuild will solve our issues, but I know it needs to be done. I think there is more going on. I will inspect carefully for intake leaks once the carb rebuild is complete, and I have the proper gaskets. I CAN say that I am not leaking around the manifolds.

What do ya'll think about the dizzy? Again this evening, after changing the carb gasket and eliminating the intake leak at the carb base, I still can't set the timing. I know I am jumping the gun on all of this, but I'm excited about getting it running!? :teehee: Running "at it's best" the timing mark is SO ADVANCED that you can't see it (vacuum advance is pointing straight at the radiator). You can't even SEARCH for it! When retarding the timing back to about 8* BDTC, you can keep it running with your hand on the throttle linkage, but it's rough as a cob and dies immediately. Possibly still intake leaks, but I could not confirm it this evening with propane. I adjusted the carb with adjuster screws (all the way in, two turns out) and it improved some. Is it possible my dizzy is not set right, or am I purely wasting time trying to get to run *good*?

#3,604 ·
Skerr said:
We got the carb back on and torqued down. It runs some smoother, but still not good. The engine won't idle if you let go the linkage. To be fair, I am trying to tune the engine with a carb that needs a rebuild. It DID come out of AJ's attic after several years of storage! I ordered a 2100 kit from Mike's Carburetors. It is $22.95 plus shipping. His site is comprehensive. I don't know if the 2100 and 2150 kits are the same, but I DO know if you order one from NAPA you get a 2150 kit. I am skeptical the rebuild will solve our issues, but I know it needs to be done. I think there is more going on. I will inspect carefully for intake leaks once the carb rebuild is complete, and I have the proper gaskets. I CAN say that I am not leaking around the manifolds.

What do ya'll think about the dizzy? Again this evening, after changing the carb gasket and eliminating the intake leak at the carb base, I still can't set the timing. I know I am jumping the gun on all of this, but I'm excited about getting it running!? :teehee: Running "at it's best" the timing mark is SO ADVANCED that you can't see it (vacuum advance is pointing straight at the radiator). You can't even SEARCH for it! When retarding the timing back to about 8* BDTC, you can keep it running with your hand on the throttle linkage, but it's rough as a cob and dies immediately. Possibly still intake leaks, but I could not confirm it this evening with propane. I adjusted the carb with adjuster screws (all the way in, two turns out) and it improved some. Is it possible my dizzy is not set right, or am I purely wasting time trying to get to run *good*?
A rebuild will help a whole lot. It did on my cj7 before I blew the engine.
As for timing you got me.

#3,605 ·
Yeah, I know... but I hate waiting for stuff. I guess working with this carb isn't the smartest thing I have done, but it keeps me working on the Jeep. And I like to hear it run! The carb came from a good friend who can build cars while he is sleeping! I swapped him a carb I couldn't use that he wanted. His carb sat in his attic for a l-o-n-g time! Since I know the way he thinks I figure it went into the box clean and in good shape. Probably why it is running at all. I will have Clay build this carb. It will be his first. Parts should be here in a week.

#3,608 ·
Skerr said:
LOL!! If I had the knowledge at 30 that you have at 16, there's a LOT of things I wouldn't have had to do over during my lifetime!! I will watch the choke. :highfive:
I just learn from my mistakes and let others know so they don't do the same and I think that the carb may have something to do with my engine blowing. I really don't want that to happen to you guys. :cheers2:

#3,609 ·
HEY pman

Better late than never... right? C'mon man... right?

You know... these pictures make Clay's Jeep look a lot better than what it really is! Here are a couple windshield frame install pics for pman. I probably shouldn't have put it on yet, but I wanted to do something with the Jeep, and I am so not motivated today. Wifey and little kids are gone til tomorrow. I just have the big kids at home, and they are off at school. Today is my day off, and I am bored! Maybe I'll cut the grass...

Waaaay back in our thread we welded up the windshield frame and completely rebuilt it. After warping the heck out of it, we took it to AJ (ya'll remember AJ?). He clamped it to a huge I-beam, and with a BFH and a 1X4 he *beat* it back flat, then he shrunk the metal. I am totally surprised that the glass went back in the frame, and that the frame sits as well as it does on the Jeep, but it is far from great. You can see a gap on the Pass side. That is a result of our welding, and not thinking ahead... How is this going to sit? How is it going to look? What are the finished tolerances? I think the cowl seal with hide that completely. The frame touches the cage on the DS with maybe a 1/2" gap on Pass side. Someone posted in another thread about braces from the WS frame to the cage to keep a FG body from cracking at the cowl. I can see...now... where that will definitley be necessary. I think that will get done AFTER we fit the top.

Anyway... here are some pics from different angles, including one of the throttle cable bracket I fabbed... which I now have to RE-fab! She does look pretty good, dont she?

Clay suddenly wants this thing on the road for next weekend. He wants to get it to school to show off! He will be going to Montana (Yellowstone) in a couple weeks with Gpa and Gma as a graduation gift, and he wants the guys to see it before he goes. No way I can finish this up to road worthy in two weeks, much less one.

Attachments

#3,632 ·
HEY pman

Better late than never... right? C'mon man... right?

You know... these pictures make Clay's Jeep look a lot better than what it really is! Here are a couple windshield frame install pics for pman. I probably shouldn't have put it on yet, but I wanted to do something with the Jeep.
Yeeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaa! This deserves a big ole "rebel yell"! Looking righteous, Skipper! Did this just come off the showroom floor? Can't believe I missed the post earlier today. You and Clay have to be proud. I don't know what I'd have done with myself with a rig like this at Clays age. And to be able to say "Dad and I built it". You're a good man, Charlie Brown!

Now I need to get back to Charleston and work on mine again now that you've passed me....again!

#3,610 ·
C'mon! Team Kerr can get er done! The jeep looks great. Since you are bored go ahead and yank the carb off and pull it apart and let it soak overnight. That way tomorrow you can put it back together and work on the "dizzy". When I rebuilt mine it made a huge difference. Your idling issue could have a lot to do with that. just my two cents (that's all I got).

#3,616 ·
Thanks Moogs. Even if we manage to make it run well during this next week, we still have to get an alignment done and tag it. No way it's going to happen, but we'll try.

Hey, all it needs is the steering wheel and seats and it's good to go.

"You know... these pictures make Clay's Jeep look a lot better than what it really is!"
Your too hard on yourself. The pics look awesome so in person I'm bettin' it only looks great. You only think that because you know where those minute flaws are at, but no one else can see them. So your biased, that's all. Now get back to work your burnin' daylight playin' on the 'puter!
True Rene... and I really want to stick the steering wheel on, but it will be in the way.

Hey, does -boom's wife know you have all her bath towels :fistlaugh:
Dewd! I forgot about that. I have more...

I'm going to guess that I'm pman? But anyway looks really good I like it.
Nope... you're not pman. pman is an unusual blend of management and swamp thing! :rofl: He lives in SC.

#3,613 ·
Hey, all it needs is the steering wheel and seats and it's good to go.

"You know... these pictures make Clay's Jeep look a lot better than what it really is!"
Your too hard on yourself. The pics look awesome so in person I'm bettin' it only looks great. You only think that because you know where those minute flaws are at, but no one else can see them. So your biased, that's all. Now get back to work your burnin' daylight playin' on the 'puter!