Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Clay's Build Thread

556K views 5K replies 145 participants last post by  Skerr 
#1 · (Edited)
I have been contemplating posting a build thread for awhile. After viewing some of the current ones I got really pumped! I also figured that as long as I was going to be asking for help fixing stuff I might as well have it in the thread... so here we go. My 16 YO son, Clay, and I are building his CJ5. It's a 79 that I acquired in a boat/Jeep trade nearly 2 years ago. I got it for myself but I don't fit well, so I got a 7 and gave him the 5. He is really stoked about building the Jeep and I can't think of a better father/son project. Clay will be doing the work while I supervise ;). The 5 has a 258, T18A, D20 with axles from an 85 CJ7, D30 and AMC20. Gears are 2.72. We will probably go to a 3.73 in the future. It will get the RC 2.5" lift, Procomp 9000 shocks, and a urethane bushing kit (already purchased). It also has a FG tub which will require a bit of glass work. We had already completed the frame resto when we discovered that we didn't do it right. So we took it back down to bare metal again, finding some rot and a few cracks. We should have those repairs made in the next couple of weeks. After that the frame gets POR-15 and black implement paint. In the meantime, we'll be working on getting the engine painted and installing the MC2100. In these pics Clay is prepping the T18A for paint. He wanted to paint it silver with a red stripe, but I put the Kibash on that! So he settled for a silver tranny and red shift levers... when we get there. He plans to paint the rig International red (tractor paint) with a silver tub floor. Hmmmm... maybe! It MIGHT look good. We just finished watching the entire Season 2 of the Rat Patrol... so guess what HE wants to mount up!?!? :laugh:

Attachments

See less See more
#3,248 ·
What do you think about trim color? The cage, hinges, shifters, dash, grill will be green. What about windshield frame and wheels? Also, instead of black, I will web it out in green too. Bumpers will be black. I would like to have your opinions on the color scheme, what should be painted green.

In the pics, which are poor as there is little light today (overcast and rainy), is the green color we will use. This is the self-etching primer color. I have a quart of the 2nd Dimension custom mixed. It is Ready to Spray... just put in gun. Also, is a pic of the reuseable spray "can" that I bought. The pic is the windshield frame, which I was working on today.

Attachments

#3,249 ·
Skerr said:
What do you think about trim color? The cage, hinges, shifters, dash, grill will be green. What about windshield frame and wheels? Also, instead of black, I will web it out in green too. Bumpers will be black. I would like to have your opinions on the color scheme, what should be painted green.

In the pics, which are poor as there is little light today (overcast and rainy), is the green color we will use. This is the self-etching primer color. I have a quart of the 2nd Dimension custom mixed. It is Ready to Spray... just put in gun. Also, is a pic of the reuseable spray "can" that I bought. The pic is the windshield frame, which I was working on today.
My experiance with the pressure canister was they didn't last all that long, maybe as long as 1 rattle can. Remember the paint needs to be as thin as what comes out of a rattle can.

Because of desert sand paint ( para military ) I feel everything with the exception of the windshield,roll cage, and dash should be the sand color. And split the windshield hinges between green and sand. Then decide on what to do with the mirrors.

Unless your going to paint the fender flares, there would be 3 different colors going on,

Automotive parking light Vehicle Car Grille Motor vehicle

Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Hood Window

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

#3,257 ·
...Because of desert sand paint ( para military ) I feel everything with the exception of the windshield,roll cage, and dash should be the sand color. And split the windshield hinges between green and sand. Then decide on what to do with the mirrors.

Unless your going to paint the fender flares, there would be 3 different colors going on,

View attachment 410388

View attachment 410389

View attachment 410391
So you think the rims and grill should be tan?

I would do the windshield the same color as the body. When they dont match, it looks unfinished to me...like they havent gotten around to painting that part yet.
I'm with Turtle on the windshield Scott, make it the same as the body. Pink to match the hood ornament would be acceptable though.
Two votes for a tan windshield, which should be a majority, but Bill posted three times!! :rolleyes: Anybody else with ideas/opinions? Bring 'em on...

I am having a hard time picturing this with your sand color hood. :confused:
Are you suggesting that everything should be tan? What do you suggest for contrast? Rims WERE going black. Then they WERE going sand. NOW I'm thinking this drab green color. What do you think?

BTW- flares will remain black, front and rear bumpers are also black, spare tire carrier will be black... unless someone thinks all of that should be green???

#3,250 ·
When you look at the SS hinges, there's not much contrast with the Khaki,
Then look at the back, I should, and plan to paint the tread plate black. It's to much silver back there.

Yours is sand and green, to me it's too much of a contrast to do a lot of green.

Car Vehicle Window Hood Motor vehicle

Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Car

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

#3,277 ·
Bill, yes they did! I'm going with the black windshield on my paint job. Skerr, count my vote for the contrasting windshield.:cheers2:

Edit: Scott, nice work man! Haven't been on here in a couple of weeks, and didn't realize you'd made so much progress!

#3,255 ·
I want to say it was the "Limited" models. I have heard and seen pics of them, but never in person. I am going with that for mine for a while, going to paint the 'glass windshield frame black until I finally get ready to do the whole thing, which will be a few years from now I figure, as I want to replace the grille and hood so it is full 'glass eventually. Just takes money.....

#3,258 ·
Like I mentioned earlier, and the rims are currently black. Paint one of them green and see what Clay likes.

The only reason I said a green windshield was to tie in with the dash and cage

Vic's home gotta go

Bill

#3,263 ·
1. I'm used to Vicki telling me 3 times to do something.

2. It's like plumbing, it takes 3 times at the hardware store to fix it.

3. Or when I was self employed, when the customer asked how soon I could start, or how long before the job was finished, yep, you guessed it 3 weeks. I would start a new paragraph, I'm stopping at 3 so you don't complain anymore than 3 times.

Rolleyes, Bill

#3,265 ·
Take a look at twinstickd20's cj. It's tan and black and looks awesome with just the right black accents in the right places. I would insert a pic of it but I'm at work on my phone. His thread is called project lucky 7. I think its page 23 or so is a really good couple of pics of it.

#3,266 ·
I'd say definitely keep the windshield frame the same color as the body. I would personally also lean towards the dash being painted to match the body, but I have seen one or two done well enough that it worked with the dash a different color.

As far as the bumpers and wheels, I do worry about how its going to look with different accent colors on body vs. frame accessories. On the other hand, I'm not sure I love the drab green for accents on your tan in the first place, but that could all be from the pictures I'm seeing. I know black looks good with tan (or anything for that matter...), but it is Clay's jeep, he should decide.

#3,270 ·
THANKS SO MUCH FOR THESE GREAT REPLIES!! :thumbsup:

It is just what I needed. I will talk to Clay about the trim color. Maybe I will go with this drab-ish green as the body color on MY Jeep! Rollcage, hinges, wheels, etc go black (satin). Tub will be webbed out in the same. Dash will be tan, but grill MAY go black... that one's a toughy for me. I'll have to think on it.

Thanks Guys...

#3,273 ·
I can qualify that study for you precisely, and I can most assuredly sum up the contect of that study in a single phrase. BULL-HOCKEY!! :D I think it helps. Really. You should try it! ;)

But, it is true that even though I was outside, and the wind was blowing, I still ended up feeling bad afterward. I have my respirator on hand for the next paint session.

#3,278 ·
Ain't that the truth!

I love the weld sunburn!!! The last time I welded, I thought I was covered up, but I had my sleaves pulled up and burn the inside of my forearm... SUCK!!!
You don't even know you're getting it until it's too late, then it burns... bad.

Scott,

Looking great man. I have not been on here in forever! I have been slammed with all sorts of work. Anyhow, nice to catch up on your build and excellent job.

Jeremy
Missed you Jeremy! Glad to hear that you are buried in work! Hopefully, your own and not the governments!

Bill, yes they did! I'm going with the black windshield on my paint job. Skerr, count my vote for the contrasting windshield.:cheers2:

Edit: Scott, nice work man! Haven't been on here in a couple of weeks, and didn't realize you'd made so much progress!
Missed you too pman! Glad you are still around. We are completely held up with painting because of the rain and high hmidity. Our forecast shows rain everyday for the next week or more, so no telling when we'll finish. We're just working on small parts for now. Probably going to go with tan windshield, but who knows once we start assembling.

Paint is all we're waiting on. Once done it's time to put it together and fire it up. I think! Of course, we'll have alignment and odds and ends to get done.

#3,275 ·
I love the weld sunburn!!! The last time I welded, I thought I was covered up, but I had my sleaves pulled up and burn the inside of my forearm... SUCK!!!