AJ came back over today and did a great deal of work. Clay and I spent the day pretty much watching him! He made 5 trips home to bring back materials, tools, etc, and he went to work on the hood. Then he started on a fender. He showed us how to remove the rough areas without gouging the workpiece. He showed us how to remove the Bondo without removing too much. He aslo showed us the right way to mix the Bondo and apply an effective skim coat. I keep thinking that Clay's Jeep is going to be nicer than we had planned, being as how Clay wants it done so he can drive it! AJ has taken a personal interest in it. They are talking Candy Apple Red instead of International Red. I didn't take a lot of pics since we'd be beating a dead horse at this point, but here are some pics of today's work. This is AJ's work.
AJ grinding down the FG slop that Clay and I made when rebuilding the fenders!
I never thought about the visible part of the fender when we repaired the PO's damage, so AJ is removing all of that extra resin.
First Bondo... AJ ain't shy about it!
I had gouged the gelcoat with 24 grit paper when I removed the PO's original rattle-can paint. AJ is fixing it. He first sanded with 80 grit to remove much of the scratches, then the Bondo. I SHOULD HAVE USED 180 TO REMOVE THE ORIGINAL PAINT! Would have saved a LOT of work!
Making the transition at the lip.
AJ ground down the hood, sanded it, skim coated it, sanded it some more, wiped it down with prepaint cleaner, and primered it again. I think that makes 6 times we've had primer on the hood... used over a quart of primer on just the hood. That will tell you that good prep from the start will save time and money. Here is Clay glazing the hood. No more homemade brews!
Here is the hood with black rattle-can for a blocking coat.
And just a reference shot...
Overall it was a great day. I can see I need to get some more tools to be effective, and I need to work smarter. Hope I can produce some comparatively nice work on the pieces to come...