Clay's Build Thread - Page 345 - JeepForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #5161 of 5422 Old 07-29-2013, 07:13 AM Thread Starter
Skerr
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: White Springs
Posts: 9,486
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucdog View Post
I wonder if Clay forgot the spring between the arm and pivot, the one that keeps the rod in place.

Bill
Check your phone for a text.
I watched him assemble the spring and ball. He placed a dab of grease on the ball to hold it in place. The spring was loose and would fall off. I didn't watch him to completion, however, and I was wondering if he had the TO bearing on backwards??

Getting ready to haul it to town.


Kerrdog
Go Fish! <*////><

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #5162 of 5422 Old 07-29-2013, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
Skerr
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: White Springs
Posts: 9,486
It is at the shop! I am disgusted. I feel like I'm quitting, but I need this done. It has been too long already. The shop that I use is a good one. They know their business, and I never have to go back to get it fixed again. I can't imagine what it will cost to have this work done. Here is the list that they will complete for me.

*= priority

-Inspect the clutch... find out what we did wrong.*
-Weld/repair/replace the bellhousing.*
-Install factory water temp sending unit. This is for the factory gauge. It involves drilling and tapping a boss on the head.
-Replace pulley on pwr steering pump.*
-Find leak on Pwr steer pump (I think the pressure line is leaking, I think we manipulated it too much).*
-Install O2 sensor in exhaust.*
-Connect exhaust system to collector.*
-Connect tach wire.
-Connect CEL.

Now to pull out the boat and check it out. We are going to the Okefenokee to camp on the 14th.
Attached Images
 

Kerrdog
Go Fish! <*////><

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline  
post #5163 of 5422 Old 07-29-2013, 01:04 PM
83vert
Registered User
1982 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 957
Don't feel disgusted, you guys did a great job and there is nothing wrong with letting the shop complete a few odds and ends. If I had the extra money my jeep would spend most of its time at a shop being completed.

I am in deep
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/how-did-happen-rebuild-1113470/
83vert is offline  
post #5164 of 5422 Old 07-29-2013, 11:01 PM
Dadamsnv
Registered User
1977 CJ5 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Reno
Posts: 5,158
Hey Scott, I'm really sorry about the clutch I'd send you a bear hug if it could fit in a box. Sorry buddy.

Cheers!
Dadamsnv is online now  
post #5165 of 5422 Old 07-30-2013, 04:54 AM Thread Starter
Skerr
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: White Springs
Posts: 9,486
Thanks, Guys. I appreciate the vote of confidence.

Kerrdog
Go Fish! <*////><

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline  
post #5166 of 5422 Old 08-01-2013, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Skerr
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: White Springs
Posts: 9,486
The shop where Clay's Jeep is sitting (L&J) called me at work today. The Chief Mechanic, Warren, told me they hit a snag. They have welded up the bellhousing and reinstalled everything, but the clutch still doesn't want to work!! So he has asked me to bring him the old flywheel and clutch set from the 258/T18 combo. The theory is the the flywheels are different thicknesses allowing for more travel in the clutch fork. Where the clutch set and flywheel in the 258/T18 worked fine, we now have a 4.0 engine with a 4.0 manual flywheel and a CJ clutch set. Possibly, the 4.0 flywheel is thinner, allowing the clutch fork to travel forward to the point that it hits the bellhousing flange. That would explain the large amount of slop that is now in the fork and the need for a longer rod. I still have the 258 flywheel, but it doesn't have the notches for the CPS. My AZ boss said to place a small washer under the pivot ball to lift it up, taking up the extra slack, but I don't see how that would be a good fix. More tomorrow...

Kerrdog
Go Fish! <*////><

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline  
post #5167 of 5422 Old 08-02-2013, 05:45 AM
gmakra
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Chicago area
Posts: 3,560
Skipper how are thhe bushings on your bell crank? These are plastic pieces and give out over time and can cause a lot of what you maybe experiencing.
http://www.quadratec.com/jeep-replac.../cj-clutch.php

I am talking about 8,9 and 10 in the pic
Attached Images
 
gmakra is offline  
post #5168 of 5422 Old 08-02-2013, 07:26 AM Thread Starter
Skerr
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: White Springs
Posts: 9,486
The whole crank could be replaced. There is some slop, but it isn't the kind of slop I'm talking about. I'm talking about taking the clutch fork in your hand and moving it forward/backward.

Kerrdog
Go Fish! <*////><

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline  
post #5169 of 5422 Old 08-02-2013, 11:29 AM
lucdog
Web Wheeler
 
lucdog's Avatar
1980 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 8,781
Ok'd here's the problem. Scott is using the 4.0l flywheel with the tone ring and a CPS. The problem is the 4.0l flywheel is 1/2" thinner than the 258 wheel, Scotts mechanic believes this is the problem, after research I agree. The tone ring can't be swapped to the 258 wheel.
Possible solutions.
1.) advance adapters bell housing
2.) move the CPS to the balancer.
3.) extend the pivot point ( the ballbearing) of the clutch arm to move it towards the engine.
4.) a AA longer throw out bearing.

I prefer extending the pivot point of the clutch arm. 2 reasons for this, it's cost effective, and most likely the quickest way to get Clays jeep on the road.
Your thoughts on this problem please!

Thanks, bill

1957 WILLYS pickup,
1973 J 4000,
1978 CJ7 DD.
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ.
lucdog is offline  
post #5170 of 5422 Old 08-02-2013, 11:53 AM
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler
 
Cutlass327's Avatar
1978 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Beach City
Posts: 5,871
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucdog View Post
Ok'd here's the problem. Scott is using the 4.0l flywheel with the tone ring and a CPS. The problem is the 4.0l flywheel is 1/2" thinner than the 258 wheel, Scotts mechanic believes this is the problem, after research I agree. The tone ring can't be swapped to the 258 wheel.
Possible solutions.
1.) advance adapters bell housing
2.) move the CPS to the balancer.
3.) extend the pivot point ( the ballbearing) of the clutch arm to move it towards the engine.
4.) a AA longer throw out bearing.

I prefer extending the pivot point of the clutch arm. 2 reasons for this, it's cost effective, and most likely the quickest way to get Clays jeep on the road.
Your thoughts on this problem please!

Thanks, bill
This makes sense to me. As long as there is enough thread on the pivot stud to shim it with washers, it should still be a solid repair. Maybe worst case scenario cut the stud of the pivot and weld the top part onto a longer bolt?

Rick

1978 CJ5 5.0HO/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass body, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline  
post #5171 of 5422 Old 08-02-2013, 12:13 PM
SLO_Ken
Registered User
1986 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: California
Posts: 1,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutlass327 View Post
This makes sense to me. As long as there is enough thread on the pivot stud to shim it with washers, it should still be a solid repair. Maybe worst case scenario cut the stud of the pivot and weld the top part onto a longer bolt?
If Clay's clutch fork pivot is like mine, the actual pivot ball is a 1/2" ball bearing that sits in a cup on a boss in the bellhousing. This can be worked around, but it is not as simple as adding a few washers...



Here's a thread on the subject of pivot balls and how to install them...
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...89/index2.html
SLO_Ken is offline  
post #5172 of 5422 Old 08-02-2013, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Skerr
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: White Springs
Posts: 9,486
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO_Ken View Post
If Clay's clutch fork pivot is like mine, the actual pivot ball is a 1/2" ball bearing that sits in a cup on a boss in the bellhousing. This can be worked around, but it is not as simple as adding a few washers...



Here's a thread on the subject of pivot balls and how to install them...
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...89/index2.html
Exactly right, Ken. I spoke with EJ from Novak. I can't say enough good stuff about EJ and the staff at Novak for their willingness to help me with Jeep conversion issues. I bought my pilot bushing from EJ, he explained how to install, and he was beyond patient and polite. In this case, where I was buying nothing, he worked through the whole scenario with me and made the most logical, cost-effective suggestion. The thinner flywheel causes the TO bearing to sit farther back, requiring more clutch travel to engage. The clutch fork actually makes contact with the edge of the square hole from which the fork extends, stopping any more motion to engage the pressure plate. EJ recommended a longer TO bearing to take up that slack. When I explained to my mechanic (Warren) he grasped it immediately and went on the prowl. Let's see what happens.

To Bill's credit, I had phoned him to ask for help finding the answer. If ya'll don't know Bill, he is like an encyclopedia! And his Smart Phone makes him beyond compare! Anyway, Bill had come back to me with the suggestion of the longer TO bearing before anyone else.

In all the reading about the 4.0 swap I did not see anything relating to this specific problem. How is everyone else getting around it? I'm pretty sure I did not miss a step. Maybe it is inherrant of a T18/4.0 conversion???

Kerrdog
Go Fish! <*////><

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline  
post #5173 of 5422 Old 08-02-2013, 03:08 PM
lucdog
Web Wheeler
 
lucdog's Avatar
1980 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 8,781
Not inherent to the T18, the tranny doesn't make a difference.

Like SLO-Ken said I wouldn't place washers behind the ball. After modifying the existing ball mount by beefing it up, I would use a adjustable one. After drilling and tapping.

Name:  image-4139552784.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  184.7 KB



Name:  image-380952168.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  97.9 KB

GM vehicles used these.

Bill

1957 WILLYS pickup,
1973 J 4000,
1978 CJ7 DD.
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ.
lucdog is offline  
post #5174 of 5422 Old 08-02-2013, 04:43 PM
243
Registered User
1978 FSJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 3,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
The shop where Clay's Jeep is sitting (L&J) called me at work today. The Chief Mechanic, Warren, told me they hit a snag. They have welded up the bellhousing and reinstalled everything, but the clutch still doesn't want to work!! So he has asked me to bring him the old flywheel and clutch set from the 258/T18 combo. The theory is the the flywheels are different thicknesses allowing for more travel in the clutch fork. Where the clutch set and flywheel in the 258/T18 worked fine, we now have a 4.0 engine with a 4.0 manual flywheel and a CJ clutch set. Possibly, the 4.0 flywheel is thinner, allowing the clutch fork to travel forward to the point that it hits the bellhousing flange. That would explain the large amount of slop that is now in the fork and the need for a longer rod. I still have the 258 flywheel, but it doesn't have the notches for the CPS. My AZ boss said to place a small washer under the pivot ball to lift it up, taking up the extra slack, but I don't see how that would be a good fix. More tomorrow...
Scott,

This guy used a T5 bellhousing, modified for the sensor, 4.0 clutch and pressure plate, Luk #01017 so I suspect it has a throw out bearing for that application. I suspect he used the T5 fork, so I am curious if the throw out bearing is too short.

http://jeepsunlimited.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=538049

Also, was the backside of the fork hitting the bellhousing?

I noticed this guy had a fork with some clearance...



http://www.jeeptech.com/convtrans/cjt18/

An image search turned up this photo, the thread "CJ T-18 trans swap" is dead, but it looks like he clearanced the fork.







.

1978 Cherokee, TBI 360/T400/QT...6.0/6L80/NP241C in the works...
243 is offline  
post #5175 of 5422 Old 08-02-2013, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Skerr
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: White Springs
Posts: 9,486
The top clutch fork is for a T150. In the article, the author states that it is factory punched to clearance a bolt head. He goes on to say that if you don't clearance the fork on the T18 it may not allow the pressure plate to release. That isn't our problem. Our fork is hitting the housing. I didn't get to talk to Warren this afternoon, so I don't know how far he got. Now we have to wait until Monday. Never thought about clearancing the fork... that may have been all we needed to do. Also, if Warren hasn't already fixed it, I will look into the TO bearing for the 4.0 clutch set. Thanks, Dave.

Kerrdog
Go Fish! <*////><

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline  
Reply

Tags
1979 , cj5 , fiberglass , rollcage , tailgate

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
19?? CJ7 build thread biker250 Jeep CJ Forum 96 12-27-2010 06:10 AM
Looking for a CJ Build Thread. jsc7002 Jeep CJ Forum 6 08-22-2009 10:47 AM
High 5 Build Thread... 1Rustycj5 Jeep CJ Forum 7 03-22-2009 09:28 PM
Build Thread for my '84 CJ erik5387 Jeep CJ Forum 19 05-29-2008 01:05 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome