Clay's Build Thread - Page 334 - JeepForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #4996 of 5422 Old 06-10-2013, 11:22 PM
MoC
Registered User
1986 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The otherside of your monitor...
Posts: 5,656
Looking Good Brother!

MoC is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4997 of 5422 Old 06-11-2013, 10:20 AM
pman
Registered User
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 1,554
That's a high quality warden you've got there; pitching in driving the tractor.

88 Wrangler Laredo 258-999-NP231
81/76 CJ5 304-t150-Spicer 20
82 Wagoneer 360-727-NP208
82 CJ8 Scrambler 258-t5-Dana 300

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
pman is offline  
post #4998 of 5422 Old 06-11-2013, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Skerr
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: White Springs
Posts: 9,495
Thanks for the comments Gentlemen. I will explore the pulleys more closely.

Billybooster2, way out in California, gave me a bargain on a vehicle speed sensor (VSS) for Clay's D20. Not only did he send me a nice looking piece, but he also did a heck of a job wrapping it. Thanks to Billybooster2 for his support and his character.

Kerrdog
Go Fish! <*////><

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline  
post #4999 of 5422 Old 06-12-2013, 07:45 PM
EgulAye
Registered User
1980 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Mechanic Falls
Posts: 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
Thanks for the comments Gentlemen. I will explore the pulleys more closely.

Billybooster2, way out in California, gave me a bargain on a vehicle speed sensor (VSS) for Clay's D20. Not only did he send me a nice looking piece, but he also did a heck of a job wrapping it. Thanks to Billybooster2 for his support and his character.
Nice Scott, so you've opted to swap in the whole 4.0L? Did you end up taking the head off or changing any gaskets?


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 JK

Do you wave at night when they can't see you?
EgulAye is offline  
post #5000 of 5422 Old 06-21-2013, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
Skerr
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: White Springs
Posts: 9,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by EgulAye View Post
Nice Scott, so you've opted to swap in the whole 4.0L? Did you end up taking the head off or changing any gaskets?
Egul... I missed you, Dude. Sorry about that! I did not remove any engine parts. I SHOULD have, I know. The guy I bought it from is a friend, and he said he heard it running... has between 80 and 90,000 miles. We are swapping the whole engine. Messing around with wiring now.

Kerrdog
Go Fish! <*////><

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline  
post #5001 of 5422 Old 06-22-2013, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
Skerr
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: White Springs
Posts: 9,495
I posted up some questions/pics in the "Official 4.0 Swap Thread". I would appreciate anyone taking a look and giving me your comments. I am so close, but I can't get this pinout problem resolved.

Thanks.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/of...l#post15594040

Kerrdog
Go Fish! <*////><

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline  
post #5002 of 5422 Old 06-23-2013, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Skerr
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: White Springs
Posts: 9,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmakra View Post
Skipper the ECM has one plug on it only?
If thats the case then the pin out I posted should be the ticket.
If this is not the case take pictures of the ECM and harness where is goes to the bulkhead connector.
Professor... here is your pic back with little green marks next to the items I think I need to keep. Please confirm. Everything else will be removed, leaving little stubs for later splicing if needed. This is the same plug I have.
Attached Thumbnails
2009-11-16_105351_93_JEEP_ECM.jpg  

Kerrdog
Go Fish! <*////><

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline  
post #5003 of 5422 Old 06-24-2013, 07:46 AM
gmakra
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Chicago area
Posts: 3,560
Skipper the original idea was to trim the bulk head connector from the 4.0 and hock that up to your current bulkhead connector, all the other wiring that goes to the engine remains.
pin #21 which is the intake air sensor is vital since it measures the air temp and adjusts the fuel.
Take pin#5 16 ga pink black and run it to the battery positive.
Pins 5 should go to the negative side of the battery. Pins 11,12 should ground on the block someplace. Make sure you have a good solid ground from your frame to your engine block and then daisy chain it up to you negative on your battery.
Pin 18 goes to the negative side of the coil.
Pin #8 should go to your start solenoid.

The rest of the wiring should be plugged in were its supposed to go.

Try starting it and lets see what happens, we may need to do a bit more diagnostics if it dosent start.
gmakra is offline  
post #5004 of 5422 Old 06-24-2013, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Skerr
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: White Springs
Posts: 9,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmakra View Post
Skipper the original idea was to trim the bulk head connector from the 4.0 and hock that up to your current bulkhead connector, all the other wiring that goes to the engine remains.
pin #21 which is the intake air sensor is vital since it measures the air temp and adjusts the fuel.
Take pin#5 16 ga pink black and run it to the battery positive.
Pins 5 should go to the negative side of the battery. Pins 11,12 should ground on the block someplace. Make sure you have a good solid ground from your frame to your engine block and then daisy chain it up to you negative on your battery.
Pin 18 goes to the negative side of the coil.
Pin #8 should go to your start solenoid.

The rest of the wiring should be plugged in were its supposed to go.

Try starting it and lets see what happens, we may need to do a bit more diagnostics if it dosent start.
Well, this is my problem. When you say "trim the bulkhead connector from the 4.0", I'm thinking cut it off. And when you say "The rest of the wiring should be plugged in where it's supposed to go", I am at a loss, because I don't KNOW where it's supposed to go! There's a ton of wires in the 4.0 BH connector. How do I put them into a CJ BH connector??

I need directions like, "Take this black wire and connect it to the negative terminal of the battery and to position _ on the BH connector"... "Take this wire and connect it to...". This is over my head, and I am not understanding. The Haynes manual shows a wiring diagram for the engine control components. I kept all of those wires and cut out a bunch of others! Can you show me on the PCM plug what I need to keep, and where it gets connected? Grade 1 for me! REMEDIAL!!!!!!

Kerrdog
Go Fish! <*////><

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline  
post #5005 of 5422 Old 06-24-2013, 09:47 PM
pman
Registered User
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 1,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
Well, this is my problem. When you say "trim the bulkhead connector from the 4.0", I'm thinking cut it off. And when you say "The rest of the wiring should be plugged in where it's supposed to go", I am at a loss, because I don't KNOW where it's supposed to go! There's a ton of wires in the 4.0 BH connector. How do I put them into a CJ BH connector??

I need directions like, "Take this black wire and connect it to the negative terminal of the battery and to position _ on the BH connector"... "Take this wire and connect it to...". This is over my head, and I am not understanding. The Haynes manual shows a wiring diagram for the engine control components. I kept all of those wires and cut out a bunch of others! Can you show me on the PCM plug what I need to keep, and where it gets connected? Grade 1 for me! REMEDIAL!!!!!!

Skipper- you have the patience of Job! I'm probably going to be as excited as you when you get spark to that puppy!

88 Wrangler Laredo 258-999-NP231
81/76 CJ5 304-t150-Spicer 20
82 Wagoneer 360-727-NP208
82 CJ8 Scrambler 258-t5-Dana 300

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
pman is offline  
post #5006 of 5422 Old 06-24-2013, 09:50 PM
Jim1611
Web Wheeler
 
Jim1611's Avatar
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 7,194
I can share Scott's frustration with wiring. It's seems like an elusive thing to me. Some folks nail it and some don't. The ones that do say it's simple after you catch on. So Scott, my friend you'll catch on.
Jim1611 is online now  
post #5007 of 5422 Old 06-25-2013, 05:54 AM
243
Registered User
1978 FSJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 3,441
Scott, you may have done this but I will mention it anyway.

When I modified the TBI harness, I used the pinout diagram and traced and labeled every wire at both ends of the harness. Once that was complete, I had no problem cutting out the un-needed wires.

I did the same with the engine/under dash 1983 Jeep harness (GM 151) and the 1986 Jeep harness (AMC 258) because I did not know what circuits were different between the year models or between the GM and AMC ignition systems.

Have you traced all the wires?

Dave's 78 Build
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
243 is offline  
post #5008 of 5422 Old 06-25-2013, 01:34 PM
SLO_Ken
Registered User
1986 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: California
Posts: 1,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
Can you show me on the PCM plug what I need to keep, and where it gets connected? Grade 1 for me! REMEDIAL!!!!!!
Found this on NAXJA... It was easier to label the wires to remove with a lighter color. My comments in bold.

Ok, here we go. You're looking at the connector on the harness, not the PCM itself. There are three rows of pins, or actually cavities, and they are numbered starting at the top left. Top row goes 1 to 20. Middle row goes 21 to 40, and bottom row 41 to 60. All three rows are interrupted in the middle by the hold-down bolt.

The list is as follows:
1-MAP sensor signal
2-engine coolant temp signal
3-fused B+
4-sensor ground
5-ground
6- 5-volt supply
7-8-volt supply
8- blank
9-ign. switch output (run/start)
10-power steering switch sense
11ground
12-ground
13,14,15,16 - injectors 4,3,2,1
17 and 18 blank
19 ignl coil #1 driver
20-generator field driver
21 intake air temp sensor signal
22-Throttle pos. sensor signal
23- blank
24 -crankshaft pos. sensor signal
25-SCI transmit [Used for OBD diagnostic plug]
26-CCD Bus + (4.0 auto only)
27-a/c cycling switch sense
28-a/c pressure switch output
29-stop lamp switch sense

30-park/netural pos. switch sense [attach to ground for manual transmission]
31-radiator fan relay control (4.0 only)[can be used to trigger electric fan relay (instead of stand-alone temp switch)]
32-malfunction indicator lamp driver
33-veh., speed control vacuum solenoid control
34-a/c compressor clutch relay control

35-blank
36-generator lamp driver
37-blank
38-injector #5 driver (4.0 only)
39-Idle air control motor #1 driver
40- Idle air control motor #3 driver
41- heated oxygen sensor signal
42-blank
43-tachometer signal [can be used with aftermarket tach, will not work with stock CJ tach]
44-camshaft position sensor signal
45-SCI receive [used for OBD diagnostic plug]
46-CCD bus (-) 4.0 auto only
47 - veh speed sensor signal
48-veh speed control coast/set switch sense
49-veh speed control on/off switch sense
50-""" resume switch sense

51-automatic shut down relay control
52-blank
53-veh speed control vent solenoid control
54-up-shift lamp driver (manual trans) [some CJ's came with this instead of a tach]
55-blank
56-blank
57-Automatic shutdown relay output
58-injector #6 driver (4.0 only)
59-Idle air control #4 driver
60-Idle air control #2 driver
SLO_Ken is offline  
post #5009 of 5422 Old 06-25-2013, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Skerr
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: White Springs
Posts: 9,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
Skipper- you have the patience of Job! I'm probably going to be as excited as you when you get spark to that puppy!
No! I don't!! I've got to get this done. Feeling the pressure. But I appreciate you saying so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
I can share Scott's frustration with wiring. It's seems like an elusive thing to me. Some folks nail it and some don't. The ones that do say it's simple after you catch on. So Scott, my friend you'll catch on.
Thanks, Jim. I know I will, eventually. The CJ wiring came to me pretty quickly. I don't know why the XJ wiring isn't. Total Greek!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
Scott, you may have done this but I will mention it anyway.

When I modified the TBI harness, I used the pinout diagram and traced and labeled every wire at both ends of the harness. Once that was complete, I had no problem cutting out the un-needed wires.

I did the same with the engine/under dash 1983 Jeep harness (GM 151) and the 1986 Jeep harness (AMC 258) because I did not know what circuits were different between the year models or between the GM and AMC ignition systems.

Have you traced all the wires?
Yes... traced all the wires that I could figure out using the Haynes. I will go back with Ken's labeling and double-check what I have done. Pretty sure I have more than one wire to splice back. When that is completed, I think all I have to do is connect the "5 wires to fire". I just need to confirm those 5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO_Ken View Post
Found this on NAXJA... It was easier to label the wires to remove with a lighter color. My comments in bold.

Ok, here we go. You're looking at the connector on the harness, not the PCM itself. There are three rows of pins, or actually cavities, and they are numbered starting at the top left. Top row goes 1 to 20. Middle row goes 21 to 40, and bottom row 41 to 60. All three rows are interrupted in the middle by the hold-down bolt.

The list is as follows:
1-MAP sensor signal
2-engine coolant temp signal
3-fused B+
4-sensor ground
5-ground
6- 5-volt supply
7-8-volt supply
8- blank
9-ign. switch output (run/start)
10-power steering switch sense
11ground
12-ground
13,14,15,16 - injectors 4,3,2,1
17 and 18 blank
19 ignl coil #1 driver
20-generator field driver
21 intake air temp sensor signal
22-Throttle pos. sensor signal
23- blank
24 -crankshaft pos. sensor signal
25-SCI transmit [Used for OBD diagnostic plug]
26-CCD Bus + (4.0 auto only)
27-a/c cycling switch sense
28-a/c pressure switch output
29-stop lamp switch sense
30-park/netural pos. switch sense [attach to ground for manual transmission]
31-radiator fan relay control (4.0 only)[can be used to trigger electric fan relay (instead of stand-alone temp switch)]
32-malfunction indicator lamp driver
33-veh., speed control vacuum solenoid control
34-a/c compressor clutch relay control
35-blank
36-generator lamp driver
37-blank
38-injector #5 driver (4.0 only)
39-Idle air control motor #1 driver
40- Idle air control motor #3 driver
41- heated oxygen sensor signal
42-blank
43-tachometer signal [can be used with aftermarket tach, will not work with stock CJ tach]
44-camshaft position sensor signal
45-SCI receive [used for OBD diagnostic plug]
46-CCD bus (-) 4.0 auto only
47 - veh speed sensor signal
48-veh speed control coast/set switch sense
49-veh speed control on/off switch sense
50-""" resume switch sense
51-automatic shut down relay control
52-blank
53-veh speed control vent solenoid control
54-up-shift lamp driver (manual trans) [some CJ's came with this instead of a tach]
55-blank
56-blank
57-Automatic shutdown relay output
58-injector #6 driver (4.0 only)
59-Idle air control #4 driver
60-Idle air control #2 driver
I can see I'm going to have to put you on my Christmas card list! Thank you, Ken... again! This is actually not far off of what I have already done. I so much appreciate the confirmation.

Working AZ next two nights. I will get to the Jeep this weekend. Wifey and kids heading out of town saturday...AGAIN, this time for four days. Clay won't be here to help. This seems to happen a lot. The A/C unit serving the Mstr BR, Kit, and Fam. Rm, AND the hot water heater in the kitchen croaked yesterday. So now I have another project! I think I'm just going to go somewhere...

Kerrdog
Go Fish! <*////><

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline  
post #5010 of 5422 Old 06-25-2013, 06:35 PM
lucdog
Registered User
1980 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 8,781
Come on up Scott. I just picked up a 12 pack of Shiner Bock today.


Billy

1957 WILLYS pickup,
1973 J 4000,
1978 CJ7 DD.
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ.
lucdog is offline  
Reply

Tags
1979 , cj5 , fiberglass , rollcage , tailgate

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
19?? CJ7 build thread biker250 Jeep CJ Forum 96 12-27-2010 07:10 AM
Looking for a CJ Build Thread. jsc7002 Jeep CJ Forum 6 08-22-2009 11:47 AM
High 5 Build Thread... 1Rustycj5 Jeep CJ Forum 7 03-22-2009 10:28 PM
Build Thread for my '84 CJ erik5387 Jeep CJ Forum 19 05-29-2008 02:05 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome