Clay's Build Thread - Page 285 - JeepForum.com

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #4261 of 5422 Old 09-21-2012, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Skerr
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: White Springs
Posts: 9,486
Clay's Jeep is "going to town" Tuesday morning.


Kerrdog
Go Fish! <*////><

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4262 of 5422 Old 09-21-2012, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Skerr
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: White Springs
Posts: 9,486
Lots going on...

Need help/opinions with these following items.

First pic... driveshaft. How do I solve the issue of the driveshaft "thing" from separating from the other thing? What is it, a dust cover?

Second set of pics... oil everywhere! I installed a one-piece oil pan gasket and new RMS. Looks like it's leaking from both! Valve cover is dry. This is after 3 or 4 trips down the road

Third set of pics... confirm how I am planning to install the harness. Planning to bolt ends to the cage tubing, about where you see them.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1578_1.JPG   IMG_1581_1.JPG   IMG_1582_1.JPG   IMG_1583_1.JPG   IMG_1584_1.JPG  

IMG_1585_1.JPG   IMG_1588_1.JPG   IMG_1586_1.JPG   IMG_1587_1.JPG   IMG_1589_1.JPG  


Kerrdog
Go Fish! <*////><

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline  
post #4263 of 5422 Old 09-21-2012, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Skerr
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: White Springs
Posts: 9,486
Other things going on...

While driving down the road (had her up to 55- WOOHOO!) I am hearing a rattling when I let off the gas. Sounds transmissiony, or drive shafty! Everything is full of oil. Both Tcase and tranny were pro rebuilt. The things NOT done by a pro are MY rearend and MY shortened DS! The U-joints are new. No up and down slop in the DS. I CAN move the DS maybe a 1/16 at the pinion shaft. So the pinion moves up and down by that much. Did I not set it up correctly? I was very careful about it, but maybe I blew it??? No roaring or vibrations of any kind.

Still a bit of squirreliness in the front end, even with THE NEW WHEELS AND TIRES INSTALLED! Yes... they are installed. Wanna see 'em?? Handles MUCH better however.

Kerrdog
Go Fish! <*////><

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline  
post #4264 of 5422 Old 09-21-2012, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
Skerr
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: White Springs
Posts: 9,486
Oh yeah... you wanted to see the new wheels and tires installed. Forgot! Wish they were bigger! When these give out we will go with 16" aluminum wheels and probably some Nittos.

Several pics in case you didn't get to see it well enough on the first gander! The tires look dinky!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1574_1.JPG   IMG_1575_1.JPG   IMG_1576_1.JPG   IMG_1577_1.JPG  

Kerrdog
Go Fish! <*////><

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline  
post #4265 of 5422 Old 09-21-2012, 03:53 PM
Gido
Registered User
1980 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 272
Looks great!

"At first you don't succeed, get a bigger Hammer!"

in memory of Jimmy Smith - a wise man
Gido is offline  
post #4266 of 5422 Old 09-21-2012, 04:26 PM
lucdog
Web Wheeler
 
lucdog's Avatar
1980 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 8,781
image-1082573498.jpg

Drive shaft, did you try bending the tabs down? Yes it's basically a dirt/dust shield. Its possible it's thin from rust.

Oil leak, it doesn't appear to be the RMS, the oil is coming from to far toward. Did you reinstall or put a new gasket under the distributor after the pre-lube? Check there.

There should be NO movement of the yoke at the pinion, except rotational.

Bigger tires, these look good. The flares will help fill the gap by 2" or more.

Bill

1957 WILLYS pickup,
1973 J 4000,
1978 CJ7 DD.
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ.
lucdog is offline  
post #4267 of 5422 Old 09-21-2012, 04:38 PM
lucdog
Web Wheeler
 
lucdog's Avatar
1980 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 8,781
The shoulder harness,

image-1849423403.jpg



image-1105253587.jpg

1957 WILLYS pickup,
1973 J 4000,
1978 CJ7 DD.
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ.
lucdog is offline  
post #4268 of 5422 Old 09-21-2012, 04:40 PM
Dadamsnv
Registered User
1977 CJ5 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Reno
Posts: 5,168
I like I like. If you leave the tires that size, you can work on getting more flex , but I'm a rock guy (not my fault, its all we have here) so flex is always on my mind.

Bill's right about the DS dust shield. just take a punch (or flat screwdriver) and punch those tabs into the groove in the "other" piece.

My CJ5 rattles when I have the throttle right in between coast and drive, it comes from the t-case (I can feel the shifters rattling). I think its because my drivelines are out of phase by about 5 degrees which causes the yolk to speed up and slow down slightly as the driveline turns which rattles the t-case splines thanks to backlash. I don't feel it under coast or load.

Cheers!
Dadamsnv is offline  
post #4269 of 5422 Old 09-21-2012, 04:42 PM
243
Registered User
1978 FSJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 3,378
Wow, just wow..........Clay, have you hugged your parents today???

Yes, I know you busted your tail on the Jeep and you should be proud too....have you hugged your parents today

I think the tire size is perfect


1978 Cherokee, TBI 360/T400/QT...6.0/6L80/NP241C in the works...
243 is offline  
post #4270 of 5422 Old 09-21-2012, 04:48 PM
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!
 
VACJ7's Avatar
1984 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 3,783
New shoes look great! You should not be able to move that pinion yoke up and down by hand. Something is not right there. I agree with Bill the oil leak appears to be more forward. If it was the RMS, I don't think you would throw oil that far forward. How was the pan mounting surface? Did you dab some RTV in the corners of the transitions? How does the timing chain gasket look? You said you get a rattle when you let off the gas but no vibration? I have a DS from my 7 with a TF999 that I do not plan to use, it might be short enough for your use? I plan to use a DC shaft. If you give me a measurement and it matches it is yours.

P

'84 CJ-7 | REBUILD IN PROGRESS
VACJ7 is offline  
post #4271 of 5422 Old 09-21-2012, 06:18 PM
Brent58_5
Registered User
1958 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2
I've been following your thread for a couple months, trying to work up the courage to start my rebuild. Clays Jeep has come along way and you both should be extremely proud. I hope Clay knows how lucky he is to have a father like you and a jeep like that. Nice work!
Brent58_5 is offline  
post #4272 of 5422 Old 09-21-2012, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Skerr
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: White Springs
Posts: 9,486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gido View Post
Looks great!
Thanks, Gido.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucdog View Post
Attachment 476453

Drive shaft, did you try bending the tabs down? Yes it's basically a dirt/dust shield. Its possible it's thin from rust.

Oil leak, it doesn't appear to be the RMS, the oil is coming from to far toward. Did you reinstall or put a new gasket under the distributor after the pre-lube? Check there.

There should be NO movement of the yoke at the pinion, except rotational.

Bigger tires, these look good. The flares will help fill the gap by 2" or more.

Bill
The DS tabs are broken off. Theyz ain't none. Yep, the dizzy has a gasket, per your earlier instructions. Flares are painted and awaiting their turn for install.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucdog View Post
The shoulder harness,

Attachment 476465



Attachment 476466
Oh heck... I didn't even think about the intructions in the box!! DUH! Thanks again, Bill!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadamsnv View Post
I like I like. If you leave the tires that size, you can work on getting more flex , but I'm a rock guy (not my fault, its all we have here) so flex is always on my mind.

Bill's right about the DS dust shield. just take a punch (or flat screwdriver) and punch those tabs into the groove in the "other" piece.

My CJ5 rattles when I have the throttle right in between coast and drive, it comes from the t-case (I can feel the shifters rattling). I think its because my drivelines are out of phase by about 5 degrees which causes the yolk to speed up and slow down slightly as the driveline turns which rattles the t-case splines thanks to backlash. I don't feel it under coast or load.
I think the rattling is coming from the pinion shaft. It only does it when I let off the gas. Better check my preload. Do you think I have already ruined the races/bearings?

What's a rock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
Wow, just wow..........Clay, have you hugged your parents today???

Yes, I know you busted your tail on the Jeep and you should be proud too....have you hugged your parents today

I think the tire size is perfect

Thanks, Dave. And, yes, he hugs me every day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VACJ7 View Post
New shoes look great! You should not be able to move that pinion yoke up and down by hand. Something is not right there. I agree with Bill the oil leak appears to be more forward. If it was the RMS, I don't think you would throw oil that far forward. How was the pan mounting surface? Did you dab some RTV in the corners of the transitions? How does the timing chain gasket look? You said you get a rattle when you let off the gas but no vibration? I have a DS from my 7 with a TF999 that I do not plan to use, it might be short enough for your use? I plan to use a DC shaft. If you give me a measurement and it matches it is yours.

P
Pan mounting surface was scraped, washed clean, and wiped with Prep All. For the life of me, I cannot remember if I used RTV on the gasket. I THINK I did, but not sure. Mounting surface was alright, but we had one stripped bolt that Clay chased and used a longer one one to get into new threads. It seemed tighten down alright, but it is in the very front. I'll have look at it tomorrow. I never looked at the timing chain gasket... is that an oops??

Hold on to your DS for now, Paul, and I thank you. I believe ours is alright.

What would you do with up/down pinion play?

Kerrdog
Go Fish! <*////><

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline  
post #4273 of 5422 Old 09-21-2012, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Skerr
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: White Springs
Posts: 9,486
We have a serious day planned for tomorrow. You're thinking "What's he gonna do to the Jeep tomorrow? I can't wait!" Nothing. We're doing nearly nothing tomorrow on the Jeep. "What could be more serious than working on your Jeep"? Well... let me 'splain it to ya. We are going to host the Annual North Florida Redneck's AirSoft Battle of the Century... or, also known as "Hey Clem, Git Chyore Gun and Foller Me". Lots of little kids and a few BIG kids. Here are my Jeep troops making the targets for the walking course. Gonna be fun...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1572_1.JPG  

Kerrdog
Go Fish! <*////><

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline  
post #4274 of 5422 Old 09-21-2012, 06:42 PM
MoC
Registered User
1986 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The otherside of your monitor...
Posts: 5,656
Tires look great! I think they are good at that size sir!

Under A Sun Thats See It All Before...
MoC is offline  
post #4275 of 5422 Old 09-21-2012, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Skerr
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: White Springs
Posts: 9,486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent58_5 View Post
I've been following your thread for a couple months, trying to work up the courage to start my rebuild. Clays Jeep has come along way and you both should be extremely proud. I hope Clay knows how lucky he is to have a father like you and a jeep like that. Nice work!
I am totally honored to have you visit this thread Brent. Thank you very much. The biggest aspect of rebuilding a Jeep is a true desire to do it. It doesn't matter what you do or do not know. That's what this Forum is all about. You see all of these guys that post up comments?? They are all my best friends, and I have only physically met two of them! I think that is utterly amazing. Start your build. Do it because you're serious about it. Stick to it. Post up your questions. You'll make friends too, and they will help you along the way.

Blessings, Bro...

Kerrdog
Go Fish! <*////><

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline  
Reply

Tags
1979 , cj5 , fiberglass , rollcage , tailgate

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
19?? CJ7 build thread biker250 Jeep CJ Forum 96 12-27-2010 06:10 AM
Looking for a CJ Build Thread. jsc7002 Jeep CJ Forum 6 08-22-2009 10:47 AM
High 5 Build Thread... 1Rustycj5 Jeep CJ Forum 7 03-22-2009 09:28 PM
Build Thread for my '84 CJ erik5387 Jeep CJ Forum 19 05-29-2008 01:05 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome