Clay's Build Thread - Page 279 - JeepForum.com
 48Likes
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #4171 of 5466 Old 09-11-2012, 04:59 PM
gmakra
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Chicago area
Posts: 3,549
Skipper Dude are you becoming a slacker?
Shipping off peppers and tomatoes when you should be working on Clays Jeep.

gmakra is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4172 of 5466 Old 09-11-2012, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Skerr
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: White Springs
Posts: 10,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchJPR View Post
Had some issues with them Superwinch locking hubs and bolts myself recently. I had to re-tighten them after every 4x4 ride.
Used new (half thread) 3/8" x 1 3/4" grade 5 bolts to replace them. Also cleaned the thread in the hub, applied blue loctite on the bolts and added a (external)star locking washer. No loosy bolts anymore.....
I will keep an eye on those bolts as well, but the ones that were loose on my hubs are the skinny "screws" that hold the outside hub cover on. The hub cover being the grayish part with the lock mechanism inside of it. Don't know what you call it! I haven't checked any stores for a direct replacement yet, but I hope I can find them locally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
Thanks for the peppers and tomatoes! My mouth started watering as soon as I unwrapped the peppers so naturally, I had to pop the top and garnish the baked chicken this afternoon....well, garnish the peppers with a baked chicken may be more accurate
The peppers probably won't measure up to your standard, Dave, but I hope you like the taste. I can't put myself in your pepper class! The tomatoes should have okra in it too. It's great heated up and served over rice. To die for...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmakra View Post
Skipper Dude are you becoming a slacker?
Shipping off peppers and tomatoes when you should be working on Clays Jeep.
Actualy, no... no slackers here. Just frustrated Jeep owners/builders. You saw the cracked cowl from the WS... it had flat washers behind it. We WERE going to make plates to go behind that part of the cowl, but that plumb evaded us! It has been reinforced with stout glass. It will again get flat washers. It will be held firmly against the A pillar so as not the "flap" in the wind and cause it to crack again.

THEN!!! Clay was mounting the rear side-marker lights. Right side is done. Nice job. The left side he "stood up" while he cut the hole. Therefore, his perspective was BAD. The hole goes downhill. It's too wide. The lens doesn't cover it. I'm back in the body work business.

Film at 11.


TOMORROW... which is really TODAY.

I will finish the side marker light, install the WS, hopefully the hood, and start to mask off areas we scratched up for touch up painting. I can't believe, really can't believe, how badly we beat this thing up while finishing everything.

Kerrdog
Go Fish! <*////><

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline  
post #4173 of 5466 Old 09-11-2012, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
Skerr
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: White Springs
Posts: 10,032
Dang! I'm losing my mind! I forgot to mention Clay...

Clay has a welding test for the Forestry Dept Wednesday morning (9/12) starting at 8:00. He has to weld horizontal, vertical and overhead. If I was listening fully and remember correctly, he is welding flux core and aluminum, which he has never done. His college welding instructor is actually giving the exam, and he likes Clay. Clay is 18 and the two other candidates are 40 +/-. All three candidates were in the same welding class together... they are classmates! I promise none of them will have the determination that Clay has. He also has 50 questions to answer, and he has to figure out a word problem that requires you to figure up a bill of materials. If you're the praying kind, say a little word for Clay. If you're not the praying kind, please wish him luck.

Kerrdog
Go Fish! <*////><

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline  
 
post #4174 of 5466 Old 09-11-2012, 11:13 PM
8pitcher
Web Wheeler
 
8pitcher's Avatar
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wellsville
Posts: 4,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr
Dang! I'm losing my mind! I forgot to mention Clay...

Clay has a welding test for the Forestry Dept Wednesday morning (9/12) starting at 8:00. He has to weld horizontal, vertical and overhead. If I was listening fully and remember correctly, he is welding flux core and aluminum, which he has never done. His college welding instructor is actually giving the exam, and he likes Clay. Clay is 18 and the two other candidates are 40 +/-. All three candidates were in the same welding class together... they are classmates! I promise none of them will have the determination that Clay has. He also has 50 questions to answer, and he has to figure out a word problem that requires you to figure up a bill of materials. If you're the praying kind, say a little word for Clay. If you're not the praying kind, please wish him luck.
Good luck clay. Tell him that.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1976ish cj5 304 t18 d20 2.5" lift

some year YJ custom frame HP D60 14 bolt 4 linked front rear FI 350 700r4 NP231c

2009 JK 4 door 2.5" lift 35" tires custom bumpers mile marker 9500# winch
8pitcher is offline  
post #4175 of 5466 Old 09-11-2012, 11:27 PM
Bojon
Registered User
1981 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Canon City
Posts: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
Dang! I'm losing my mind! I forgot to mention Clay...

Clay has a welding test for the Forestry Dept Wednesday morning (9/12) starting at 8:00. He has to weld horizontal, vertical and overhead. If I was listening fully and remember correctly, he is welding flux core and aluminum, which he has never done. His college welding instructor is actually giving the exam, and he likes Clay. Clay is 18 and the two other candidates are 40 +/-. All three candidates were in the same welding class together... they are classmates! I promise none of them will have the determination that Clay has. He also has 50 questions to answer, and he has to figure out a word problem that requires you to figure up a bill of materials. If you're the praying kind, say a little word for Clay. If you're not the praying kind, please wish him luck.

Best of luck to Clay. I'm sure everything will work out for the best. In a lot of ways, I wish I would have taken a few years off before college, could have used the time to grow up. Plus, then when he goes to college and graduates, he will already have some experience. Too many of my friends have lost out on jobs because they don't have experience, but can't get any jobs to gain experience . Only Clay can decide what he wants to do, but boy am I glad I'm not in his position


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Jered
Bojon is offline  
post #4176 of 5466 Old 09-12-2012, 03:51 AM
gmakra
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Chicago area
Posts: 3,549
Skipper best wishes to Clay.

I myself am interviewing for a new job tommorow myself. Today I travel to Fort Wayne Indiana to do some trouble shooting at one of thier sites. I have worked with some of the guys before at a different company. The job is to be in charge of building and maintaining 80 + clean rooms for the pharmancy industry through out the US. So when I am not on the road I work from home. So there is a chance you could see me again and I thnk there is one in Peoria and if thats the case I look forward to singing Short People to the spelling police/Bill. I figure I owe this to Bill on account of how much grief he has given me about my spooling!

So your back in the autobody business, I can just see you now talking to the "Yankee Boatyard Owner" about Q cells LOL
gmakra is offline  
post #4177 of 5466 Old 09-12-2012, 04:50 AM
243
Registered User
1978 FSJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 3,562
Good luck on the test Clay!!!

Good luck brushing up on your bodywork skills Scott

Hey, I like super-hot peppers but the flavor is more important. The pickled peppers are great, not too hot to put a handful on a burger, or scrambled eggs and sausage this morning

Dave's 78 Build
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
243 is offline  
post #4178 of 5466 Old 09-12-2012, 05:03 AM
lucdog
Web Wheeler
 
lucdog's Avatar
1980 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 8,771
All my best to Clay , I'm sure he will do well.

Scott, I have to say I admire your patience on the tub. Your close to the completion of the Jeep. Sometimes it seems like the small stuff takes the most time. Hang in there my friend.

George, you can stop by anytime. Just don't tell the wife, she will have me cleaning for a week!

Bill

1957 WILLYS pickup,
1973 J 4000,
1978 CJ7 DD.
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ.
lucdog is offline  
post #4179 of 5466 Old 09-12-2012, 05:05 AM
lukenicwalker
Registered User
1982 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 172
Praying for skillful hands, knowledgable answers, and wise decisions!

ldw
lukenicwalker is offline  
post #4180 of 5466 Old 09-12-2012, 05:53 AM
Gido
Registered User
1980 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 272
Praying for clay! I will go down to the forestry hangar in Tallahassee today and see if anyone knows who is making the calls over there and put in a good word for him!

"At first you don't succeed, get a bigger Hammer!"

in memory of Jimmy Smith - a wise man
Gido is offline  
post #4181 of 5466 Old 09-12-2012, 06:16 AM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler
 
Matt1981CJ7's Avatar
1981 CJ7 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Elbert
Posts: 19,012
Kick some welding a$$ today, Clay!!

Matt


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Matt1981CJ7 is offline  
post #4182 of 5466 Old 09-12-2012, 08:33 AM
rixcj
Web Wheeler
 
rixcj's Avatar
1979 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Saunderstown
Posts: 2,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
I will keep an eye on those bolts as well, but the ones that were loose on my hubs are the skinny "screws" that hold the outside hub cover on. The hub cover being the grayish part with the lock mechanism inside of it. Don't know what you call it! I haven't checked any stores for a direct replacement yet, but I hope I can find them locally.
You mean these?...

http://www.superwinch.com/products/p...0.0.0.0?pp=25&

I found these screws when I refurbished mine...













Is Clay STARTING the tests today, or does he have to do them all today (which doesn't sound right...they're usually too extensive for that).

Plus, when you're welding a metal (especially something like aluminum), or a new welding process that you're not familiar with, you really need a good amount of time to practice before taking a test.

Please ask him how the test plates are tested...coupon bend, just a visual inspection of the weld, a break test, etc.

When it comes to this stuff, I am very curious and tend to ask a lot of questions. I apologize. (I'm actually restraining myself right now...)

Best of luck (and skill) to him!

Rich

'79 CJ5, AMC 360, t-18/d20 twin stick, dana 30/amc20(Mosers), Edelbrock Performer intake, Holley 600, ps/pb, DUI HEI, 'glass tub/1pc. tilt nose, 33x12.50 BFG AT's.

There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
rixcj is offline  
post #4183 of 5466 Old 09-12-2012, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
Skerr
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: White Springs
Posts: 10,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8pitcher View Post
Good luck clay. Tell him that.
Thank you, Trent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bojon View Post
Best of luck to Clay. I'm sure everything will work out for the best. In a lot of ways, I wish I would have taken a few years off before college, could have used the time to grow up. Plus, then when he goes to college and graduates, he will already have some experience. Too many of my friends have lost out on jobs because they don't have experience, but can't get any jobs to gain experience . Only Clay can decide what he wants to do, but boy am I glad I'm not in his position
As a Florida state employee, you can take "X" amount of classes and be reimbursed. The classes can be anything as long as you maintain a specific GPA. This could be one of the very best things he experiences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmakra View Post
Skipper best wishes to Clay.

I myself am interviewing for a new job tommorow myself. Today I travel to Fort Wayne Indiana to do some trouble shooting at one of thier sites. I have worked with some of the guys before at a different company. The job is to be in charge of building and maintaining 80 + clean rooms for the pharmancy industry through out the US. So when I am not on the road I work from home. So there is a chance you could see me again and I thnk there is one in Peoria and if thats the case I look forward to singing Short People to the spelling police/Bill. I figure I owe this to Bill on account of how much grief he has given me about my spooling!

So your back in the autobody business, I can just see you now talking to the "Yankee Boatyard Owner" about Q cells LOL
You have a mind like an elephant!!! You never forget! You made me chuckle, George. I forgot about that comment.

Clean rooms, huh? Guess you will have to start bathing regularly. I mean, you'll have to practice what you preach. In that case, you'd be welcome to come back for a visit!! I will keep in our prayers, Buddy. Let me know how it goes. BTW!?!??! I thought you owned Chicago??

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
Good luck on the test Clay!!!

Good luck brushing up on your bodywork skills Scott

Hey, I like super-hot peppers but the flavor is more important. The pickled peppers are great, not too hot to put a handful on a burger, or scrambled eggs and sausage this morning
Ugh... bodywork! I have to figure out how to prep the area for paint. Pics to follow.

Having you say you like peppers is like passing a MAJOR level of accomplishment! I will tell my fabulous wife!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucdog View Post
All my best to Clay , I'm sure he will do well.

Scott, I have to say I admire your patience on the tub. Your close to the completion of the Jeep. Sometimes it seems like the small stuff takes the most time. Hang in there my friend.

George, you can stop by anytime. Just don't tell the wife, she will have me cleaning for a week!

Bill
Will you come down here and finish the body work for me?? I can't bear it anymore. And keep in mind that Vic won't have to clean on George's account at all. He's liable to clean your house himself! OH, SHOOT!! Put him in the garage!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukenicwalker View Post
Praying for skillful hands, knowledgable answers, and wise decisions!
Very kind Luke. Thank you, Bro...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gido View Post
Praying for clay! I will go down to the forestry hangar in Tallahassee today and see if anyone knows who is making the calls over there and put in a good word for him!
You're awesome Gido. See if you can get him $50 grand a year too, please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
Kick some welding a$$ today, Clay!!

Matt
Made me smile, Matt! Thanks Bro.

Kerrdog
Go Fish! <*////><

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline  
post #4184 of 5466 Old 09-12-2012, 09:57 AM
Dadamsnv
Registered User
1977 CJ5 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Reno
Posts: 5,917
Late to the party... but good luck to clay!!!

Also, you may be able to find the screws here

http://www.mcmaster.com/#screws/=j9ekvl

but they also, shouldn't be too hard to find around town I'd think. At least not here

I'm looking for a Scout II Dana 300. Drop me a line if you have any leads. Thanks
Dadamsnv is offline  
post #4185 of 5466 Old 09-12-2012, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Skerr
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: White Springs
Posts: 10,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by rixcj View Post
You mean these?...

http://www.superwinch.com/products/p...0.0.0.0?pp=25&

I found these screws when I refurbished mine...













Is Clay STARTING the tests today, or does he have to do them all today (which doesn't sound right...they're usually too extensive for that).

Plus, when you're welding a metal (especially something like aluminum), or a new welding process that you're not familiar with, you really need a good amount of time to practice before taking a test.

Please ask him how the test plates are tested...coupon bend, just a visual inspection of the weld, a break test, etc.

When it comes to this stuff, I am very curious and tend to ask a lot of questions. I apologize. (I'm actually restraining myself right now...)

Best of luck (and skill) to him!

Rich
Rich, what blue paint did you use? I remember (I think) when you did that refurbish. I think you posted it up, but I'm not going back to try and find it.

Just spoke with Clay to see how it went. The way this worked this morning was they graded on visual quality of the weld, but also how Clay set up for the weld. The machine was preset... Clay could not make any adjustments. Clay said it was too hot. He had to weld horizontal, vertical, and overhead fillet welds on steel first, all flux core. He said that went alright, but he was visibly shaking!! Gosh, poor kid. I feel for him! One of the scenarios was that he had a bad "fit-up". This was already set up. He was supposed to look it over, figure out what was wrong, and weld accordingly. Clay looked it over, saw no gouges, spaces/gaps, etc, and he said he hammered it with a beautiful weld. I was thinking, "That's MY boy!" Turns out the two pieces were not perpendicular, and he was supposed to weld on one side first, causing it to pull the one piece BACK to perpendicular as it cooled. He did it bassackwards!! I think the concept is neat, and I wouldn't have thought of it either! He finished welding with aluminum, doing horizontal and vertical welds. The material was 1/8" thick. First time Clay has ever welded aluminum, and the welds came out very nice, which surprised and pleased Clay. His instructor told him he did well for his first-ever weld test. Classroom material was easy, and Clay finished ahead of the clock. He feels good, but he has no idea. The other guys are capable too. Will keep you posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadamsnv View Post
Late to the party... but good luck to clay!!!

Also, you may be able to find the screws here

http://www.mcmaster.com/#screws/=j9ekvl

but they also, shouldn't be too hard to find around town I'd think. At least not here
Thanks, Daniel. I appreciate the research.

Kerrdog
Go Fish! <*////><

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline  
Reply

Tags
1979 , cj5 , fiberglass , rollcage , tailgate

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
19?? CJ7 build thread biker250 Jeep CJ Forum 96 12-27-2010 06:10 AM
Looking for a CJ Build Thread. jsc7002 Jeep CJ Forum 6 08-22-2009 10:47 AM
High 5 Build Thread... 1Rustycj5 Jeep CJ Forum 7 03-22-2009 09:28 PM
Build Thread for my '84 CJ erik5387 Jeep CJ Forum 19 05-29-2008 01:05 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome