Clay's Build Thread - Page 155 - JeepForum.com

 48Likes
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #2311 of 5466 Old 01-24-2012, 04:35 PM
lucdog
Web Wheeler
 
lucdog's Avatar
1980 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 8,771
I would really like to know what kind of pipe/tube this stuff is.
Don't feel bad George, I got it.
We know its not DOM. Call the steel guy and get the proper name.
Bill


1957 WILLYS pickup,
1973 J 4000,
1978 CJ7 DD.
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ.
lucdog is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2312 of 5466 Old 01-24-2012, 04:38 PM
gmakra
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Chicago area
Posts: 3,549
OK Skipper a guy runs into a bar and goes up to the bar tender and say I heard this really great Polish joke.
The bar tender looks at him and says I'm Polish the big guy to the right of you is Polish and the even bigger guy to the right of you is Polish.

The guy say OK OK Ill take it real slow!

Scotty the term pipe is loosely used for any round metal, this is not an issue most of the time. In your case the HB pipe bender is meant for pipe AKA water pipe. This means it will bend water pipe all day long and pipe is measured inside diameter so 1 1/2" inch pipe will always be 1 1/2" inside and typically 1.900" inches on the outside diameter. That means your bending shoe is designed for 1.900 inches (almost 2 inches).

The stuff you bought is tubing (ERW electric resistance welded tubing)and if you measure the outside diameter it is 1 1/2" if you compare that tubing you are trying to bend to a piece of 1 1/2" water pipe and you will see what I am talking about. There is .400 thousand of an inch difference or slightly larger than 3/8 of an inch!!!!

Your tubing is collapsing in the die (AKA shoe) and kinking because its the wrong die and Harbor Freight does not have the correct dies cause they dont make them.

That is why I said get a piece of 1 1/2 IMC which is 1 /12" inside diameter and it is 1.833" (just slightly smaller than water pipe) cut piece about a foot long then cut the tubing in half lenght wise.

Now take that IMC and place it over the tubing you want to bend. Place the IMC so it is in contact with the bending shoe then bend.

You have now made a shim that will make up the difference from your water pipe die so that you can bend your tubing with out kinking it.

That shim should last a few bends maybe even a long time.

Got it?
gmakra is offline  
post #2313 of 5466 Old 01-24-2012, 04:42 PM
lucdog
Web Wheeler
 
lucdog's Avatar
1980 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 8,771
Just looked at the fab section again. thats not pipe, its some kind of tube.

maybe ERW.

Bill

1957 WILLYS pickup,
1973 J 4000,
1978 CJ7 DD.
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ.
lucdog is offline  
 
post #2314 of 5466 Old 01-24-2012, 04:52 PM
gmakra
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Chicago area
Posts: 3,549
Bill OMG if Skipper was building Noahs Arc the world would look much different today!
Skerr likes this.
gmakra is offline  
post #2315 of 5466 Old 01-24-2012, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Skerr
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: White Springs
Posts: 9,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmakra View Post
OK Skipper a guy runs into a bar and goes up to the bar tender and say I heard this really great Polish joke.
The bar tender looks at him and says I'm Polish the big guy to the right of you is Polish and the even bigger guy to the right of you is Polish.

The guy say OK OK Ill take it real slow!

Scotty the term pipe is loosely used for any round metal, this is not an issue most of the time. In your case the HB pipe bender is meant for pipe AKA water pipe. This means it will bend water pipe all day long and pipe is measured inside diameter so 1 1/2" inch pipe will always be 1 1/2" inside and typically 1.900" inches on the outside diameter. That means your bending shoe is designed for 1.900 inches (almost 2 inches).

The stuff you bought is tubing (ERW electric resistance welded tubing)and if you measure the outside diameter it is 1 1/2" if you compare that tubing you are trying to bend to a piece of 1 1/2" water pipe and you will see what I am talking about. There is .400 thousand of an inch difference or slightly larger than 3/8 of an inch!!!!

Your tubing is collapsing in the die (AKA shoe) and kinking because its the wrong die and Harbor Freight does not have the correct dies cause they dont make them.

That is why I said get a piece of 1 1/2 IMC which is 1 /12" inside diameter and it is 1.833" (just slightly smaller than water pipe) cut piece about a foot long then cut the tubing in half lenght wise.

Now take that IMC and place it over the tubing you want to bend. Place the IMC so it is in contact with the bending shoe then bend.

You have now made a shim that will make up the difference from your water pipe die so that you can bend your tubing with out kinking it.

That shim should last a few bends maybe even a long time.

Got it?
Ahh, George... you are Beautiful, Baby!! That is so understandable, and so perfectly said, that even BILL could get it! The Pollocks just cracked me up!!!! What was the rest of the stuff you were talking about?

I got it. The OD is 1.51"; ID is 1.33"; sidewall is .10". ERW... GOT IT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucdog View Post
Just looked at the fab section again. thats not pipe, its some kind of tube.

maybe ERW.

Bill
So you guys don't have to go back and forth, here are some pics. I had deleted them before, and I had to get new ones!



The upper rollers of the bender do not align with the shoe. And when all else fails, weigh the pigs!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6076_1.JPG   IMG_6077_1.JPG   IMG_6079_1.JPG   IMG_6080_1.JPG   IMG_6063_1.JPG  


Kerrdog
Go Fish! <*////><

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline  
post #2316 of 5466 Old 01-24-2012, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Skerr
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: White Springs
Posts: 9,778
I LoVE Licorice...

Kerrdog
Go Fish! <*////><

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline  
post #2317 of 5466 Old 01-24-2012, 05:10 PM
gmakra
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Chicago area
Posts: 3,549
The roller will shift under pressure its not a big deal. The die is too big.
gmakra is offline  
post #2318 of 5466 Old 01-24-2012, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Skerr
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: White Springs
Posts: 9,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmakra View Post
The roller will shift under pressure its not a big deal. The die is too big.
Where do I get IMC? The Big City is, like, an hour and a half away!! We have Lowes, Ace Hardware, and one specialty plumbing shop.

Kerrdog
Go Fish! <*////><

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline  
post #2319 of 5466 Old 01-24-2012, 05:26 PM
gmakra
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Chicago area
Posts: 3,549
Do you have a electrical supply house around? If not try Lowes or Home Depot and see if they can order you a 10 foot stick.
gmakra is offline  
post #2320 of 5466 Old 01-24-2012, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Skerr
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: White Springs
Posts: 9,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmakra View Post
Do you have a electrical supply house around? If not try Lowes or Home Depot and see if they can order you a 10 foot stick.
r-r-r-r-roger-r-r-r-r-r... we do have City Electric. Thanks Prof...

Kerrdog
Go Fish! <*////><

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline  
post #2321 of 5466 Old 01-24-2012, 06:25 PM
Jim1611
Web Wheeler
 
Jim1611's Avatar
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 7,140
That set of dies must be for something over 2" Scott, maybe even bigger and that's why your material caved in like that. Anytime you do something and have problems always rule out what you know is right first.
1. You are using material that can be bent into the shape you need.
2. The tool you're using is wrong for what you have but if you had the right dies it would likely work.

Something else I'd say would help is if you grease those rollers so they can turn as the material bends. The less friction you have the better and easier the bend goes. When you get the right dies concentrate on making a bend of 90 degrees. Take your time and check it even before the bend is complete, just mark the material in relation to the main die so that it goes back to the same place, which it tends to do anyway but the less variables you have the better. Just take it slow and it'll come to you. It overwhelmed me at first too but after you figure some basic things out you'll be amazed how simple it really is. Oh and quit getting mad at yourself, I can see you doing that my friend.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Crabtree Shackle Hangers)

My build thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Jim1611 is offline  
post #2322 of 5466 Old 01-24-2012, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Skerr
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: White Springs
Posts: 9,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
That set of dies must be for something over 2" Scott, maybe even bigger and that's why your material caved in like that. Anytime you do something and have problems always rule out what you know is right first.
1. You are using material that can be bent into the shape you need.
2. The tool you're using is wrong for what you have but if you had the right dies it would likely work.

Something else I'd say would help is if you grease those rollers so they can turn as the material bends. The less friction you have the better and easier the bend goes. When you get the right dies concentrate on making a bend of 90 degrees. Take your time and check it even before the bend is complete, just mark the material in relation to the main die so that it goes back to the same place, which it tends to do anyway but the less variables you have the better. Just take it slow and it'll come to you. It overwhelmed me at first too but after you figure some basic things out you'll be amazed how simple it really is. Oh and quit getting mad at yourself, I can see you doing that my friend.
Thanks Ol Buddy! With all the help you guys are giving me I'm confident that I will figure this out. If not, I'm going to fly George down here!!



Wife and son were sitting at the kitchen table when my son said, "There's something BIG in our yard!" So Mom looked and hollered, "The pigs are out!" Understand that we are a small island in a sea of woods inhabited by wild hogs and much other game. I always figured if the hogs ever got out that the best I could hope for would be a genetic gain in the wild population. In other words, we'd never see them again, and some lucky Yahoo would get some prime meat in his freezer. Would you believe those crazy hogs came right to the porch door!? Beth opened the screen door and they walked right on to the porch. I was able to hook up our little homemade stock trailer and get them loaded. They are safe for the night until I can repair the pen tomorrow. What a blessing. These are the hogs my two youngest will show in the fair in April.
Attached Thumbnails
100_2209_1.JPG   100_2213_1.JPG   100_2216_1.JPG  

Kerrdog
Go Fish! <*////><

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline  
post #2323 of 5466 Old 01-24-2012, 09:45 PM
cjdogtoy
Registered User
1976 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: phoenix
Posts: 667
I smell bacon!!!
cjdogtoy is offline  
post #2324 of 5466 Old 01-25-2012, 03:53 AM
gmakra
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Chicago area
Posts: 3,549
Where Petunia?
gmakra is offline  
post #2325 of 5466 Old 01-25-2012, 07:22 AM
Jeepican
Registered User
1976 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: White Oak, TX
Posts: 1,464
LOL .....you might be a redneck........... Does he show pigs or is that just meat?
Edit: OOps just saw that part...... Good luck!

1976 CJ5 - 232 I6, MC2100, YJ Booster, Front disc conv, 2.5" BDS, 1" Body Lift, .5" lift Daystar Shackles, 33 x 10.50 BF KM2, Twin Stick

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


"Oh, you're just full of fun today, aren't you? Why don't we go up to the old people's home and wax the steps?"
-Barney Fife-
Jeepican is offline  
Reply

Tags
1979 , cj5 , fiberglass , rollcage , tailgate

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
19?? CJ7 build thread biker250 Jeep CJ Forum 96 12-27-2010 06:10 AM
Looking for a CJ Build Thread. jsc7002 Jeep CJ Forum 6 08-22-2009 10:47 AM
High 5 Build Thread... 1Rustycj5 Jeep CJ Forum 7 03-22-2009 09:28 PM
Build Thread for my '84 CJ erik5387 Jeep CJ Forum 19 05-29-2008 01:05 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome