Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Clay's Build Thread

556K views 5K replies 145 participants last post by  Skerr 
#1 · (Edited)
I have been contemplating posting a build thread for awhile. After viewing some of the current ones I got really pumped! I also figured that as long as I was going to be asking for help fixing stuff I might as well have it in the thread... so here we go. My 16 YO son, Clay, and I are building his CJ5. It's a 79 that I acquired in a boat/Jeep trade nearly 2 years ago. I got it for myself but I don't fit well, so I got a 7 and gave him the 5. He is really stoked about building the Jeep and I can't think of a better father/son project. Clay will be doing the work while I supervise ;). The 5 has a 258, T18A, D20 with axles from an 85 CJ7, D30 and AMC20. Gears are 2.72. We will probably go to a 3.73 in the future. It will get the RC 2.5" lift, Procomp 9000 shocks, and a urethane bushing kit (already purchased). It also has a FG tub which will require a bit of glass work. We had already completed the frame resto when we discovered that we didn't do it right. So we took it back down to bare metal again, finding some rot and a few cracks. We should have those repairs made in the next couple of weeks. After that the frame gets POR-15 and black implement paint. In the meantime, we'll be working on getting the engine painted and installing the MC2100. In these pics Clay is prepping the T18A for paint. He wanted to paint it silver with a red stripe, but I put the Kibash on that! So he settled for a silver tranny and red shift levers... when we get there. He plans to paint the rig International red (tractor paint) with a silver tub floor. Hmmmm... maybe! It MIGHT look good. We just finished watching the entire Season 2 of the Rat Patrol... so guess what HE wants to mount up!?!? :laugh:

Attachments

See less See more
#5,383 ·
I WISH I HAD A ROCKING CHAIR!!!!!!!

But I AM going to make some vino... from muscadines, and I'm going to try it from hard pears (which taste like apples)

#5,385 ·
This is just a quick update on Clay...

He was in class, talking with a TA (teaching asst), when he suddenly fell out. He came to in an ambulance. He texted his mother that he was at the ER, but was fine! Really???? Momma was like Super Freak, and I managed to get her calmed down. Both hemispheres of his brain were firing at the same time (prolly why he thinks he knows so much). Doc called it something generalized epilepsy. Doc felt like it was brought on from poor nutrition and fatigue. He is majoring in mechanical engineering with a minor in electrical engineering. Better him than me. I actually LIKE being stoopid! He is managing his lifestyle more closely, but then, he IS at home! Lessee what happens when he goes back.

#5,389 ·
That type of courseload should keep him out of trouble. The operative word is should. I majored in Mechanical Engineering in college, and am now practicing Electrical Engineering. I don't want to think about what classes must be like trying to do both at the same time. Great choices though!

#5,397 ·
You know common sense is earned/learned. If the boy would listen to me he would already be the Leader of the Free World! ;). But, alas, some things you must learn on your own. It pains me to watch him make mistakes but it IS a necessary part of growth. Clay is on a good, straight path. Now if he could only shoot well!

Skerr!! Glad to hear you are doing well and Clay is on the upswing!
Thanks, Mike. He is doing great. You should see him with his scraggly, college-kid chinstrap!!! LOL! Good to hear from you.

Glad he's OK and taking engineering classes will do that if you're not careful, haha. Great choices for a career path. You can't really go wrong with engineering but alas, I am very bias.
Lou, you never cease to entertain with your avatars! I hope you are doing well? Very good to hear from you.

Glad to hear he's doing fine. College will get you to have very poor nutrition but we are all broke kids so what you expect? Dining hall food is awful. And ramen is cheap.
IF he ate in the dining hall he would be ahead of the game. Instead, Clay and his older brother room together in an apartment. They eat lots of hotdogs!! How you doing Trent?

Rice and tomato soup were my staples in college. Well... Also coffee and little Caesars Hot-n-ready pepperoni pizza :D
You know, you could put the rice and tomato soup together and make a casserole!

Hi Scott...

It's real nice to hear from you, again. Your family's tales were always something to look forward to reading about.

After a while, I often wondered what happened to you and yours. There are other people on this forum that I wonder what happened to, as well.

So, it sounds like Clay is getting a college education, as well as a "real life" education, too. He's a smart kid. I'm sure that he learned a life lesson from this that hopefully he won't repeat.

I've personally never had that (Clay's) particular scenario take place in my own life, but believe you me, I've been in many self inflicted situations that make me amazed that I'm still alive.

Rich
Don't you know that's true! Can't believe I lived past 10!!!! :rofl: Good to hear from you Rich.

#5,392 ·
Skerr!! Glad to hear you are doing well and Clay is on the upswing!

#5,394 ·
Glad to hear he's doing fine. College will get you to have very poor nutrition but we are all broke kids so what you expect? Dining hall food is awful. And ramen is cheap.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#5,396 ·
Hi Scott...

It's real nice to hear from you, again. Your family's tales were always something to look forward to reading about.

After a while, I often wondered what happened to you and yours. There are other people on this forum that I wonder what happened to, as well.

So, it sounds like Clay is getting a college education, as well as a "real life" education, too. He's a smart kid. I'm sure that he learned a life lesson from this that hopefully he won't repeat.

I've personally never had that (Clay's) particular scenario take place in my own life, but believe you me, I've been in many self inflicted situations that make me amazed that I'm still alive.

Rich

#5,398 ·
Welding/building jobs Clay has done on the side this summer...

A custom grill...
Ladder for stock trailer...
Rack for grooming chute...
Hog crates...

Attachments

#5,399 ·
Very impressive! I love that grill!

If you can weld / fabricate, you will never be without something to do.

Thanks for sharing, Scott.

Rich

#5,400 ·
I love the grill too! I was Jealous, but he got $800 for it. A neighbor asked him to build it and supplied the tank.

The hog crate is collapsible, and for someone who shows hogs and steers. They promise more business.

My shop is a complete mess!

Thanks, Rich!

#5,401 ·
These are custom pot holders ordered by someone else. They fit over the top of a 4X4 post. The customer has his driveway lined with posts and cable. Should look real nice when finished. I want some too!

What I really need is front/rear XJ bumpers!!!!!

Attachments

#5,402 ·
You know, clay could be developing a niche for himself. I don't know about where you live, but there's a lot fewer people doing that kind of work than most other types of service work around here.

Nice job making the scroll straps and the square bar hoops!

You're right about making a mess...this kind of work is very dirty and stuff just ends up everywhere.

Rich

#5,405 ·
You know, clay could be developing a niche for himself. I don't know about where you live, but there's a lot fewer people doing that kind of work than most other types of service work around here.

Nice job making the scroll straps and the square bar hoops!

You're right about making a mess...this kind of work is very dirty and stuff just ends up everywhere.

Rich
There was an article in one of the local news papers here a couple months back about a guy that is carving out that very niche. Seems to be doing very well for himself.
http://www.newtimesslo.com/cover/12500/steel-relevant-max-randolph-embraces-his-ancestral-roots-in-the-blacksmithing-trade-/

#5,407 ·
As an ME who sits in front of a computer for %60 of my workweek, being able to go home and do jeep work makes it no big deal. If I've got nothin physical to do when I get home, the days drag on.

#5,408 ·
Don't let him make his hobby his career.. I dread working on my vehicles anymore, especially anything long term... I made that mistake... do something you enjoy, but not the same thing. I think Dadamsnv has the right idea...

#5,409 ·
Good advice. I had a friend I used to ride with a lot. He bought a bike shop. We stopped riding together. He told me going into business ruined a good hobby!

#5,410 ·
Hi everybody. Clay will be working this summer in Niscayuna, NY for Bech-tel. It's an internship program that lasts about 3 months, beginning May 23. I'm looking for a good home for Clay during this period, from Niscayuna to Albany. I posted a thread about it in the "General" forum. Please check out the thread if you would be interested in a good, handy, short-term renter. It would be cool for a Jeeper to house my son!

Thanks!

Scott

#5,411 ·
Whoa Skipper, Clay heading of to NY? have you considered all the ramifications???????? What if he picks up that horrible not understandable accent?What if the speed of his speak picks up?
OMG the list goes on and on!!!!!!!!!!!

Stay tuned folks this could be 'intertain"

#5,415 ·
Yeah... I know. BUT! The one time I stopped off in Binghamton, NY I discovered those people were completely normal country folks! Maybe he'll come home with a Yankee Beauty!?!?

Congrats to Clay. I hear Bechtel is a good company. I had a buddy who worked for them in Huntsville, AL. I think Clay is going to enjoy it. I know I worked at a auto shop when I was out of high school because I loved working on cars. I only did it for a summer and realized I didn't want to do that. Now I have a pretty good split between work stuff and hobby stuff. I design things at work and I get to build stuff at home.

One thing I highly recommend for Clay is to take the Fundamental Engineering exam (FE) when he finishes/finishing his undergraduate degree. Most schools don't require it for graduation (but mine did). That will make it a lot easier if he chooses to get his Professional Engineering license (which I also highly recommend).
Thanks for the advice, Lou. Clay is talking about getting his Master's. I suppose time will tell, but I have told him to go for it. I wish I did! I'll pass it on to him.

Here's a short vid of the robot Clay built from scratch for his robotics class. He bent the metal, made the suspension, installed the electronics... a very basic robot, but he did all of it 100% without me (and I couldn't have helped if my life depended on it!). It's awesome to see your kid achieve, but remarkably sad at the same time.

http://s912.photobucket.com/user/Kerrdog4/library/Clay Robot?sort=2&page=1

I don't like the new look!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Seems like our community just got punked out.

#5,412 ·
Congrats to Clay. I hear Bechtel is a good company. I had a buddy who worked for them in Huntsville, AL. I think Clay is going to enjoy it. I know I worked at a auto shop when I was out of high school because I loved working on cars. I only did it for a summer and realized I didn't want to do that. Now I have a pretty good split between work stuff and hobby stuff. I design things at work and I get to build stuff at home.

One thing I highly recommend for Clay is to take the Fundamental Engineering exam (FE) when he finishes/finishing his undergraduate degree. Most schools don't require it for graduation (but mine did). That will make it a lot easier if he chooses to get his Professional Engineering license (which I also highly recommend).

#5,414 ·
:laugh: there's a definite possibility of picking up some that fast talk, but he's gonna be really close to some pretty cool stuff. Niagra and the White Mtns just to name a few.

JF is hard to beat, but Scott, you and Clay may want to reach out to local clubs for housing options :dunno:

Should be more great experience for Clay - congrats!

#5,422 ·
He has had a great time building it. He designed everything, which you really can't see, fabbed it all, and wired everything. He had to demo it in lab this morning and scored a perfect. He had to tote it on the bus. One bus driver wouldn't let him bring it onboard!

Scott, I gotta tell ya, it has been a blast watching your kids grow up over the last 5-6 years, thanks for sharing!

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
It has been a blast for me too, Mike, but I fear it is winding down. Only two more to go. Thank you, Sir.

Yeah Bechtel is a good company. They do a good bit of Nuclear stuff. Was a part of the old circle bar w (Westinghouse). Good luck to the young man. Worse things than Yankees George!
Clay will be doing something with nuclear power plants for naval warships. Don't know how he fits into that field. He had to get a security clearance. Just gotta find him temporary housing.

Nice robot! I've seen them like that used for wrapping plastic wrap around pallet boxes. Scott go to the bottom of the page and click on the "classic look" and it's much better. Change....I've had enough change the last 7 years. HOPELESS CHANGE AT THAT!!!!
Ahhh... Classic look. Back to normal! Thanks, Jim.

that robot is awesome! love to know what sensors he used - at first I thought he was controlling it from the laptop, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
I can find out?? The sensors detect objects in its path, and the computer program he wrote steers it away from the object. His next goal is to make it wireless.

I say go for the masters. I have my master's in ME and it's the only reason I have the job I do. It also counts for 1 year of eligibility towards getting your PE. You need 4 years under a PE to apply (in Georgia and North Carolina).
Told him what you said about the FE. He said he has plans to take that exam. Pretty sure he will pursue his Master's. Unless he falls hopelessly in love! :rolleyes:

Just hurt myself playing Bball with the 16 YO! Gaahhhh.