Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Clay's Build Thread

556K views 5K replies 145 participants last post by  Skerr 
#1 · (Edited)
I have been contemplating posting a build thread for awhile. After viewing some of the current ones I got really pumped! I also figured that as long as I was going to be asking for help fixing stuff I might as well have it in the thread... so here we go. My 16 YO son, Clay, and I are building his CJ5. It's a 79 that I acquired in a boat/Jeep trade nearly 2 years ago. I got it for myself but I don't fit well, so I got a 7 and gave him the 5. He is really stoked about building the Jeep and I can't think of a better father/son project. Clay will be doing the work while I supervise ;). The 5 has a 258, T18A, D20 with axles from an 85 CJ7, D30 and AMC20. Gears are 2.72. We will probably go to a 3.73 in the future. It will get the RC 2.5" lift, Procomp 9000 shocks, and a urethane bushing kit (already purchased). It also has a FG tub which will require a bit of glass work. We had already completed the frame resto when we discovered that we didn't do it right. So we took it back down to bare metal again, finding some rot and a few cracks. We should have those repairs made in the next couple of weeks. After that the frame gets POR-15 and black implement paint. In the meantime, we'll be working on getting the engine painted and installing the MC2100. In these pics Clay is prepping the T18A for paint. He wanted to paint it silver with a red stripe, but I put the Kibash on that! So he settled for a silver tranny and red shift levers... when we get there. He plans to paint the rig International red (tractor paint) with a silver tub floor. Hmmmm... maybe! It MIGHT look good. We just finished watching the entire Season 2 of the Rat Patrol... so guess what HE wants to mount up!?!? :laugh:

Attachments

See less See more
#3,972 ·
Me thinks you have a CJ 5 confused with the space shuttle. The heat is really getting to you isn't it. Try and keep all 4 on the ground! The next thing ya know there will be Gators in the Suwanee River, when they're actually geckos.

Bill

#3,978 ·
Me thinks you have a CJ 5 confused with the space shuttle. The heat is really getting to you isn't it. Try and keep all 4 on the ground! The next thing ya know there will be Gators in the Suwanee River, when they're actually geckos.

Bill
We have some really big Geckos! And I am TRYING to keep all four on the ground.

Sounds like it. I think he has been around too many fumes of some sort.
Definitely been a lot of fumes over the years... Making sure my kid isn't as ignorant as me.

Whoa wait! Are you gonna per em on? Or have a shop do it?
Gonna poot 'em on soon az I kin nok thiz peese ov metl out'n th middel.

Launch, Launch Skipper them is some purty rich werds fo a guy like yall
yu bet, butt I'ze gwine to eet brekfas furst.

Scott, is he implying that u have more than one personality? Hahaha. When it rains it pours. R u ready for hurricane issac?
Dude, my WIFE actually TELLS me that! But I think she's psycho... so what does she know!? Yeah, we're ready...

Dada dat sun, is a silly quest-ion, now if yall look at the pic-ture it looks that they is mounted on the rims awreadi. Nowifin they wasn, everone hea knoweds dat even a reno-sonce man like Skipper would knows to takes dem tires to the big city an havem mounted pro-perly. Id take Skipper a month O Sundays to mount them roun tires on square rims.
Professor George... you are getting very good at speaking/thinking/writing this way. Your brain is gonna get SHTUCK!

#3,973 ·
lucdog said:

Bill
Sounds like it. I think he has been around too many fumes of some sort.

#3,977 ·
Whoa wait! Are you gonna per em on? Or have a shop do it?
Dada dat sun, is a silly quest-ion, now if yall look at the pic-ture it looks that they is mounted on the rims awreadi. Nowifin they wasn, everone hea knoweds dat even a reno-sonce man like Skipper would knows to takes dem tires to the big city an havem mounted pro-perly. Id take Skipper a month O Sundays to mount them roun tires on square rims.

#3,979 ·
Scott,

I am slow, but after reading the last 4-5 pages a question popped into my mind. Is Skerr having more fun writing/reading his thread or actually doing the work he talks about in his thread? I haven't had this much fun on the internet since Al Gore 1st invented it!

#3,980 ·
Glad you are having a good time Mike. ALWAYS glad to hear from you! And never fear... I have been typing slow for you Californians!!

:rofl:

#3,982 ·
It's 1/4 to 9 and your just eating breakfast, the day is almost 1/2 over, and you havnt even got started yet.

Bill
Yeah, well, I stayed up all night watching spaghetti westerns! What can I say... Fixing to head to the shop now.

Bye..

#3,983 ·
gmakra said:
:drool: durp durp duhhhhh :drool:

#3,984 ·
These are my concerns on the intake, and I have no idea what years it fits.
Notice how the washers on the 2 top outside are not flush. The inside bolts/washers are. There would also need to be some grinding done, some of the washers hit the side of the intake before clamping the "ear".

The bottom appears to be fine on all bolts/washers.

First picture, the very front top bolt.

Wood Automotive tire Door Line Font

This picture, bolts between the front and rear most.

Automotive tire Wood Gas Automotive wheel system Plumbing

Last bolt closest to the firewall.

Wood Automotive tire Wall Artifact Door

The bottom bolts/washers all tightened down fine.

The manifold.

Motor vehicle Gas Machine Auto part Fashion accessory

Automotive tire Bumper Motor vehicle Gas Automotive exterior

Black Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wood Bumper

See what you think and let me know.

Bill

#3,985 ·
Bill, that is the Clifford? With the OEM intake and exhaust manifolds the difference in height between the mounting flanges is the thickness of the intake gasket. That's odd that some are fine and others are not on that Clifford. He could probably take a measurement on the exhaust manifold flanges that are off and grind then down some? If they were all consistently off the same amount i would take the exhaust manifold to a machine shop and mill the face down but that is not the case here.

#3,995 ·
I am totally losing my mind!! Somebody moved the bolt holes on the engine block! Who could have done it, and why?? It is plain mean, and if I get a chance to line that person up in my Trijicons, oooooooooooooo watch out!!!!!! :mad:

Can you believe Paul's exhaust manifold DOES NOT FIT MY BLOCK!!!??? Sup with that? The two middle holes do not line up. The maifold holes don't reach up to the holes on the block. And YES, I am sure.

Headers- Pros and Cons...
Pros- I HAVE them; They FIT; Rumble, Rumble; Dual exhaust/ Cons- Clay don't want 'em; doubles cost of exhaust system; makes slight contact with bellcrank.

Options...
Grin and bear it with the headers (but we can't afford it with college right now). Find the right manifold.

Other problems...
Clay's Power Steering pump bracket has a straight edge (showing pic where straight edge of bracket makes contact with Paul's exhaust manifold), and it hits the exhaust manifold. This is the same problem with the headers. I have the right setup on my 7 (another part robbed?). I need the power steering pump bracket off a later model 258. WHEN this gets changed fluid is going to go everywhere. WTH- the nicely painted engine looks like crap already anyway!

DISGUST!

I can't buy a vowel!

The Widow was on the floor of the shop this morning. I guess a mud dobber dropped it, it's paralyzed. Gonna get a decal made up and plaster to the side of this cursed Jeep... CAUSE IT'S KILLING ME!

AAAAARRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!

Attachments

#3,999 ·
Ours is a '79. Paul already sent me an '84 manifold. I have to figure out the differences in block years. Thanks, though, Trent.

Well that don't make any sense. I thought externally the 258 stayed the same throughout the years???? I have one of those straight PS brackets in my garage. Can't you notch it to clear? Not that it matters if the manifold won't work. It came of my '84.
I guess I'll make a thread and see if anyone can tell me about it.

Your PS bracket is also straight?? Wonder why the one on my 1985 7 is curved?? I figured it was a later model all-around design.

#4,003 ·
If it wasn't for bad luck Scott..... Just remember, what doesn't kill ya makes ya stronger.... or some crap like that. :p

Clearly there is a difference in the early and late heads other than head bolt size, but why only two mount points for the exhaust manifold? I have an '84 head sitting in my garage Scott. Just sayin. Althouh at this point I am not sure anything from my 258 will bolt on yours.

#4,004 ·
What a PITA. I hate when stuff like this happens! Sounds like you should go hide in a cave until tomorrow when the bad luck storm blows over.

Do the holes in the head at least line up with the manifold? If the do, do you have any machine shop buddies willing to make you a shim to fit between the two and possibly a new PS pump bracket while they are at it? Just thinking aloud.