CJ's with duster/tonneau covers? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ's with duster/tonneau covers?

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 01-11-2008, 12:49 PM   #1
yucatanstan
2000 XJ Cherokee 

CJ's with duster/tonneau covers?

Anybody run with one of these setups?

I've seen lots of TJ's and YJ's with them , but not too many CJ's, and I really like it. Bestop sells a CJ duster, but its only for 1980 and up and I have a 79. I asked them why and they said its because the rollbars are different.

I only have a hard top and its really hot here. I'd love to have a bikini/windjammer/duster setup but it looks like that can't be bought for my model year.

I can't just run topless because when it rains, it really rains and when the sun's out its HOT.

So if anyone has come up with any creative solutions that they'd like to share, I'd love to see/hear them.

Thanks!

yucatanstan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2008, 12:58 PM   #2
1984CJ
1984 CJ7 

Which style roll bar do you have?
In the middle of 79 Jeep changed the bar from mounting on the wheel wells only to mounting on the floor behind the driver and the rear wheel wells.

If you have the floor and wheel well roll bar then the 80 and up stuff will work for you.
Originally Posted by ftdranger
You guys on the CJ tech page are a little to tech for me. Must be the leaf springs.
1984CJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2008, 01:01 PM   #3
LSUtiger
1980 CJ5 

79 was a transistion year. What rollbar do you have? A or B. Does the rollbar bolt to the floor or just to the top of the wheel well. If you have the wheel well only bar maybe you could switch it out with the newer style.

edit: 1984cj is a faster typer than I am.
Unread 01-11-2008, 01:05 PM   #4
bigjoe
1977 CJ7 

You could check out www.californiatops.com
They make a half top setup for CJs. I have one worked good for rain,snow,etc. The hardware is so so and had some trouble with customs after I placed order. I paid in full and then received another bill from shipping company. I paid the bill and then tried to follow up them California tops and no one every returned my calls. Just a little heads up on them. Goodluck.
bigjoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2008, 01:47 PM   #5
yucatanstan
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Good news for me! The bars bolt into the floor behind the seats. I guess that means I have '80 style.

So I can use the Bestop bikini/windjammer/duster. Anybody have any opinions on that, pros or cons, experiences or better options?

I liked what I saw on the california tops site, but the prices are way higher than I want to spend. I also remember reading some customer horror stories on here somewhere.

Thanks for the help!
yucatanstan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2008, 02:16 PM   #6
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

unless you have rollbar padding, don't expect the duster to fit/keep out moisture very well.

other than that, it is a decent way to go. make sure you order the one that works without soft-top hardware left on, and you'll need either velcro or a belt rail to attach it to your tub. (depending on which one you get)

Hoss

Don't mind me, I'm just another FNG around here...
JoonHoss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.