CJ's '85 CJ7 Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ's '85 CJ7 Build

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 05-14-2013, 02:44 PM   #1
chudsonvt
1985 CJ7 

CJ's '85 CJ7 Build

I just picked up this 1985 CJ, this February. I have been planning and gathering parts over the past month or so.

I have RC 4" YJ Springs I picked up for $150, a set of 34x10.5x15 SuperSwampers I picked up for $200, and I just received $276 worth of parts from Quadratec, just last Thursday. Thats RE shackles, RE u-bolts, and RE spring plates.

Here is my starting point, stock...

chudsonvt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2013, 02:45 PM   #2
chudsonvt
1985 CJ7 

Last Saturday was raining and I didn't have a garage to work in so I made a make shift tent over one side of the Jeep. I wish I had a picture, but my phone battery was dying...
Unread 05-14-2013, 02:46 PM   #3
chudsonvt
1985 CJ7 

After diving into the build in Saturday's rainy conditions, it didn't take me long to determine that I forgot to purchase hardware for the main eyes of my leaf springs. I hopped in the car and spent the next two and a half hours driving around, looking for a place that sold the proper size sleeves (1/2" ID and 3/4" OD). After checking 4 different stores, I still did not find what I needed. As to not of completely waste the weekend on no progress, I decided to steal the hardware from my front shackle kit.

So I was able to finish what I needed to do in the rear. Here is how she currently stands, leaning forward:

I have not put in new shocks yet. The stock shocks are completely extended and are probably shorting my springs by an inch or more. I should have the cash to by 4 shocks, all around in early June. In the mean time, I will get the needed hardware to finish the front.
Unread 05-14-2013, 02:47 PM   #4
chudsonvt
1985 CJ7 

More hardware on order. It should be here, Thursday. I will swap out the bolts that I used on my rear main eyes with the new ones. That way, I will have my grease fittings.

Then, on to the front lift springs. Sway bar? Who needs it! lol.

Hopefully, I can arrange for my tire swap, this weekend, as well.

Per some advice, I think I will pull my stock shocks and run no shocks for memorial day weekend. Time to hit the trails! Then, I'll make the ride a little safer by putting in some new shocks, early June.

"What could go wrong?" Famous last words!
Unread 05-14-2013, 02:47 PM   #5
chudsonvt
1985 CJ7 

Maybe I will see what condition my soft top is in, this weekend, as well!
Unread 05-14-2013, 03:03 PM   #6
79jeepincj7
1979 CJ7 

Lookin good!!

The VIN says its a 79 CJ
79jeepincj7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2013, 07:18 AM   #7
chudsonvt
1985 CJ7 

So I have a minor setback. I intended to get the Jeep pretty much completely ready to wheel for Memorial Day weekend on this up coming weekend, before Memorial Day weekend. I just found out that the new parts I ordered, yesterday, won't arrive until Monday. That is a real stick in the spokes...

So I guess I will get her up on blocks and do as much prep, in anticipation of the new parts. Pull the front springs and sway bar. Remove all 4 shocks. Have the shackles completely ready to go. Install a drop pitman arm. Swap out my tires for the 34x10.50x15 Super Swampers I have, just waiting to go on. If I successfully get through this list, then there won't be too much to do on Saturday of Memorial Day weekend. I think I will still be ready for either a late afternoon test drive , at the very least, a day of wheeling on Sunday.
Unread 05-17-2013, 10:26 AM   #8
chudsonvt
1985 CJ7 

The parts in question just arrived. Hopefully, after a busy weekend, all I will have left is to go to the DMV to register the CJ.
Unread 05-18-2013, 10:07 PM   #9
chudsonvt
1985 CJ7 

Got to the Jeep around noon. I jacked up the front drivers side.

I pulled some excess hardware, ie my sway bar. Its a wheeling rig. I don't intend to use quick disconnects.

Got the drop Pitman arm in. I left the tie rod end loose, until i finish the other side.

Got the drivers side front in by the time i called it quits. One more spring to go. Then i am on to the tires. Not sure if i will figure that one out, tomorrow, or just save it for next Saturday.

Last edited by chudsonvt; 05-18-2013 at 10:22 PM..
Unread 05-18-2013, 10:34 PM   #10
chudsonvt
1985 CJ7 

Also, after pulling the rear stock shocks out, I do see at least another 1.5" or 2.... But, with no shocks, I have a lot of rock when I push side to side. By all means, i do not recommend running no shocks. I will baby this at any sort of speed, next weekend. I'll let you know how it turns out. Hopefully she will stay on the road, when I intend to be on the road. But I imagine that my articulation will be pretty good, off the road. Being used Rough Country spring packs, I think they are a little broken in from the traditional stiff feel that everyone talks about. Then, no shocks to inhibit them should be interesting. Temporarily.... I am yet to decide on what to put under the frame for shocks. Cheap N2s or something a little nicer? We shall see what my empty pockets can find...
Unread 05-20-2013, 06:54 AM   #11
chudsonvt
1985 CJ7 

I finished up the last spring and reconnected the drop pitman to my steering linkage. Right as I was finishing, it started to pour outside. I got a little wet, scrambling to get the tire back on and get the tools picked up. It looks like a little brake line work is needed so that I do not rip them out, articulating. So brake lines and tires, Saturday. Then off to test things out on some class 4's, Sunday.

Last edited by chudsonvt; 05-21-2013 at 10:58 AM..
Unread 05-20-2013, 07:40 AM   #12
79jeepincj7
1979 CJ7 

It looks great! The bigger tires will really complete the look! Cant wait to see it go this weekend. Again 1975 chevy 1500 front brake hoses are the same lenght as the upgraded 4" lines and they are like $9 a piece vs $100 for the set.

Gotta get that top and doors off too!

The VIN says its a 79 CJ
79jeepincj7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2013, 10:39 AM   #13
chudsonvt
1985 CJ7 

I just stopped in at Car Quest. They will have brake hoses for a '75 Chevy K10 waiting for me, tomorrow. This should do the job. They are about $20 each. I figure I could get them cheaper off of the internet, but I don't have to worry about shipping or if they will be here in time to install, Saturday. Support local economy!
Unread 05-21-2013, 12:06 PM   #14
PROJECT 23
1985 CJ7 

Looking good brother. I will be sure to check in on the progress.

P.S. Not so sure about using a tree stump and blocks of wood to hold the weight of your rig. Be careful under there......
Unread 05-21-2013, 12:50 PM   #15
chudsonvt
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROJECT 23 View Post
Looking good brother. I will be sure to check in on the progress.

P.S. Not so sure about using a tree stump and blocks of wood to hold the weight of your rig. Be careful under there......
Thanks, it is a fun project.

I really need to invest in some jack stands, when I have some extra $$$. Its on my list for 2013. I am, however, proud of what I have accomplished with nothing but wood and a tiny hydraulic jack.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.