CJ8 suspension - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ8 suspension

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 02-25-2008, 12:13 PM   #1
nc84scram

CJ8 suspension

Got my frist jeep last summer. A 1984 Scrambler with only 56K miles and it's all original. I have spent time and money getting the bugs out (or almost out). Now I wanted to just as new shocks and tires (BFG 31's) but the more I read and talk to others I find myself lost. I will be doing mild off roading on the family farm--nothing hard core and I want to keep that "Mall" ride if possible. I have been given advice about 2 inch lift kits and add a leaf kits. I also understand that my 84 may have lowered itself over time. Any suggestions on applicatons and parts. Thanks, nc84scram

nc84scram is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2008, 01:12 PM   #2
sanmiam
1983 CJ7 

With 31's they should tuck in there stock. You can always do a 1" BL if you want more clearance. I don;t think the hassle of a suspension lift would be worth your while if you will not be doing an off-roading. My suggestion for shocks would be a set of bilsteins - 5100's if the budject allows. Used Ranchos in a few previous applications and hated them. Swapped to Bils and I'm a believer in paying $$ for shocks again.
Unread 02-25-2008, 01:41 PM   #3
CJeep
Alpha dog

1982 CJ8 

It costs a lot of $, but the 2.5" lift from Rubicon Express will give you a great ride (it's not a Caddy), better then old springs for sure. It will handle 31" tires easily, not be too tall, and should not require other mods such as brake lines or transfercase drops.

BTW: This site is the best for CJs, but for more Scramber-specific stuff, check out www.cj-8.com

2004 Grand Limited 4.7 HO - OH Boy!

2010 Grand Laredo 5.7 Hemi - SICK - work vehicle -gone - replaced by an 08 Tahoe - nice ride.

"Both my Doberman and my Jeep can accurately be described as 'black and rust.'"

"I got a fever . . . and the only prescription is more cowbell"
CJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2008, 06:01 PM   #4
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

Ummm, I don't know, part of me wants to say that with only 56K on it and all stock, keep it that way. I was very surprised of the off road ability that a stock CJ has. A 31" tire does look good, but I lost power and my crawl speed was too high when I had a set with my stock gears (T-5 and 3.31s). I went to a 265 70 R 15 (which is a little bigger than stock) and love it ....for my DD. I would evaluate the condition of the stock springs, regrease the leaves as needed, add a swaybar disconnect and go from there. Just my OPINION. The money you save could go toward one piece axles in the rear 20, engine upgrades or ????

1975 CJ-6 304 T15 Dana20 30/44 3.73
1983 CJ-8 258 T5 300 30/44 3.31 Looking for full or half hardtop buy or trade
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 4.6 stroker T5 300 30/44 3.31
1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep project in the works
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
only in a jeep cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2008, 07:01 PM   #5
Bard
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by only in a jeep cj View Post
Ummm, I don't know, part of me wants to say that with only 56K on it and all stock, keep it that way. I was very surprised of the off road ability that a stock CJ has. A 31" tire does look good, but I lost power and my crawl speed was too high when I had a set with my stock gears (T-5 and 3.31s). I went to a 265 70 R 15 (which is a little bigger than stock) and love it ....for my DD. I would evaluate the condition of the stock springs, regrease the leaves as needed, add a swaybar disconnect and go from there. Just my OPINION. The money you save could go toward one piece axles in the rear 20, engine upgrades or ????
Ditto here, I agree. Why change it unless it is all beat up and needs a ton of work. These are getting very rare and you could just add an add a leaf to stiffen up your saggy springs and use your money elsewhere on better fixes.
85' CJ7 Laredo, 383 GM, Turbo 350, NP 203. SOA, 2" frame lift, 34" TSL swampers, Dana 30 open, AMC 20 w/ detroit locker, 4:10's, 1 Piece Mosers, 35" boggers to abuse when needed.
Bard is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.