JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Jeep CJ Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/)
-   -   CJ7's through the years.... (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj7s-through-years-75628/)

Abemas 03-26-2004 05:17 PM

CJ7's through the years....

Did the body style of the CJ7's change during the years that they were made? If so, what are the differences and does anybody know where I can see pics of one from each year?

xxxflhrci 03-26-2004 06:46 PM

One that I can think of........The '76,'77,'78', and I think '79s had a roll bar that bolted in thru the sides of the tub. The had large Torx bolts that went right thru the side of the tub holding the roll bar in. This caused the metal to fatique and rust around the bolts. Later year 7's had the bar boltd in differently.

bstruckm 03-26-2004 07:15 PM

Also I think 76-79 had rear marker lights on the quarter panels. 80 - 86 did not.

And don't forget the wide track axles came in late 81 early 82.

only in a jeep cj 03-27-2004 11:59 PM

I'm not EXACT on these years, but I'll tell you what I know. NO, not all CJ-7's are the same. Besides the axle, frame, and interior changes, the tub was changed several times. The first "7" tubs were made from heavier gauge steel that weighed 80lbs heavier before 1979. I think I remember seeing some of the first 7's (1976) with some carryovers from the 75 year...such as the metal air intake grill on the cowl and the "e's" in Jeep on the side really being e's. The main points of the 76 to 79 tubs are the lack of good door bracing at the striker area, the fender mounted rollbar, and the red blinker lights on the rear quarters. The next 2 years are tricky. By mid to late 1979/early 80, the rollbar goes down to the floor (on top of a body mount) and by 81, the turn light at the rear was integrated into the taillights and the door areas were structural pillars by 82. Also 81 on saw 2 speakers in the dash as opposed to just the one passenger as before. I. M. O. the 82 to 86's are the best with the late 86 having a rear floorboard rib at the back (like on a YJ). Also, the last few years of the CJ's, the tubs (and doors) were dipped at the factory in an anti corrosive coating. I can say it worked on some, as my 86 has NO rust

DeafJeep 05-17-2013 05:28 AM

Interesting to note the differences. :cool:

WindKnot 05-17-2013 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by only in a jeep cj (Post 502388)
I'm not EXACT on these years, but I'll tell you what I know. NO, not all CJ-7's are the same. Besides the axle, frame, and interior changes, the tub was changed several times. The first "7" tubs were made from heavier gauge steel that weighed 80lbs heavier before 1979. I think I remember seeing some of the first 7's (1976) with some carryovers from the 75 year...such as the metal air intake grill on the cowl and the "e's" in Jeep on the side really being e's. The main points of the 76 to 79 tubs are the lack of good door bracing at the striker area, the fender mounted rollbar, and the red blinker lights on the rear quarters. The next 2 years are tricky. By mid to late 1979/early 80, the rollbar goes down to the floor (on top of a body mount) and by 81, the turn light at the rear was integrated into the taillights and the door areas were structural pillars by 82. Also 81 on saw 2 speakers in the dash as opposed to just the one passenger as before. I. M. O. the 82 to 86's are the best with the late 86 having a rear floorboard rib at the back (like on a YJ). Also, the last few years of the CJ's, the tubs (and doors) were dipped at the factory in an anti corrosive coating. I can say it worked on some, as my 86 has NO rust

Only a small correction...

The early sevens had MARKER lights on the rear quarter panels. The turn signals are in the tail lights.

REDnBLUES 05-17-2013 09:49 AM

Early hoods had the snorkel gap or whatever on the drivers side. Hard doors had turn handles. Spare tire mounts could be found on the right rear quarter panel on some models.

Nafpu 05-17-2013 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by REDnBLUES (Post 15445234)
Early hoods had the snorkel gap or whatever on the drivers side. Hard doors had turn handles. Spare tire mounts could be found on the right rear quarter panel on some models.

On 7s?

Pathkiller 05-17-2013 11:55 AM

Do you recent posters realize this thread is almost 10 years old?

WindKnot 05-17-2013 12:37 PM

BUT IT LIVES IN THE ARCHIVES FOREVER!!!

Like MLK, I too have a dream. I have a dream that one day, people will not just ask a question, but will go to the archives first! I have a dream, I have a dream where the same subject is not on the thread board twice on the same page. I have a dream, where...
Oh, excuse me. I was channeling.:teehee:

REDnBLUES 05-17-2013 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nafpu (Post 15445694)

On 7s?

Yes on 7's. And as far as the age of the thread...I just commented on someone's recent post.

only in a jeep cj 05-18-2013 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WindKnot (Post 15444703)
Only a small correction...

The early sevens had MARKER lights on the rear quarter panels. The turn signals are in the tail lights.

Yeahhhh, that's what I meant....10 years ago.... Now I do feel old
How do you people find this stuff ?

The time now is 10:10 AM.